Why steal from Apple?

99 posts in this topic

\

2. Why is everybody just concerned about running OSX on PC laptops? I would want to know if Windows XP will run on an Apple laptop. If yes, I'll probably buy one. All I want is dual-booting OSX and WinXP. OSX because I like it, WinXP because I need it. Let's be realistic here, OSX has a negligible market share and if you actually need to support you while earning money in a regular business environment, you need XP.

YES, New macs will allow you install xp and dual-boot.

• 3 weeks later...
Why are people pirating from an already struggling company? It's very not cool. Especially, since it means helping out the Windows world. Picking on the little 3% computer margin is not cool.

You know...I just think it's really sad that there's still the mentality of us versus them when it comes to Windows/Mac/Linux/etc. I use all three operating systems at home and I think each of them is great. Why? Because each operating system is geared towards not only a different consumer group but a different usage style. Whereas Mac's streamlined and basic interface might appeal to someone, Linux's totally customizable interface might appeal to others. I just ran across this thread (sorry about popping in so late after it started :D ) and I noticed what sparquay posted about "helping out the Windows world." Why treat the use of operating systems like some sort of war? I'll admit that users on all sides of the issue are guilty of doing this sort of thing where they seem to have it out for the other operating system. Still doesn't mean you should do it though! Bashing another operating system because it doesn't appeal to you is like bashing someone for liking apples whereas you like oranges. Crazy eh?

I also feel that there's been a great deal of disingeniousness (or whatever the word is) about problems with operating systems. No Operating System Is Perfect! Aieee...why do people continue to claim that "OHOHO MY SYSTEM IS VIRUS/HACK/CRASH PROOF." The people that say Windows is just a buggy piece of {censored} and Mac is perfection, I don't think you're giving credit to Microsoft where it is due. Mac runs on what? Systems that are exclusively from Apple, with a set range of parts and whatnot. Windows and Linux? Runs on like a million parts/hardware that come from all over (Yes, the number is exaggerated but you get the point, right?).

Anyhow, if anyone has some constructive replies to that, I'd be glad to take this further (maybe open another thread if its better).

I already have a mac which I use as my primary machine along with several homebuilt PC's that I use for non-mac apps and gaming.

I guess the prospect of running OS X on a PC just appealed to the mad scientist in me. I did it to satisfy my curiosity and because I enjoy the challenge. It's not a day to day machine for me. For that I use my G5 with a legitimate copy of OS X.4

I did read an article posted in this website (www.osx86project.org, not this forum), where steve jobs said: "The pirates will burn in the hell", then i did remember when himself (steve jobs) did steal the original software from Palo Alto Research Center of Xerox, i guess that the devil has a big Kettle awaiting for him !! :D;).

• 4 weeks later...
Why are people pirating from an already struggling company? It's very not cool. Especially, since it means helping out the Windows world. Picking on the little 3% computer margin is not cool.

I found it on the internet and downloaded it, didn't think that would breaking any rules, didn't even know what a torrent was, had it sitting on my desktop for a liitle while and then asked someone what the heck it was, then found out how to do it and put it on a computer. Then i liked it so well I went out and bought a 12' powerbook, which would have been the bigger than 12' if would have had more money. Can't help but think i cannot possibly be the only one that did that, some bought the MacMinis and some went all out for a G5.

There is that area at the local Fry's Electronics where they have all the mac stuff, but I never ventured into that part before because it's said to be so expensive, liking the os made decide to get a closer look and then found not quite as high as thought it would be.

There was some speculation on some site I was at, that Mac leaked it on purpose, if they did that it was a smart move in my opinion.

I dont think we are stealing. I think because of us, we have beta tested OSx86 out so well. All sorts of problems, like ATA, nforce, AC97, Wifi problems have been sortd out due to us.

I would buy a mac laptop, if it runs windows fully properly.

I would love a retail copy of OSX x86. I just bought my laptop. not even a year old

• 4 weeks later...
acually .. i'd buy the OS if i could run it on my PC without having to patch it. Its worth buying :)

Oh,totally!

I would buy Mac OS X if it were $80 and worked perfectly on my rockin' :guitar: Dell Dimension 2400 and offered 3 years of free phone support and free upgrades as well as played all of my Windows 95 games and Windows 95 software so I don't have to buy new versions.

OS X is great, I just don't want to have to buy Apple's overpriced, underpowered hardware.

They should sell all of us the OS for $80.00, that is a totally fair price for it, as long as, like I said, it plays all of my Windows 95 games and software.

Just my :D

:D

I don't think that "stealing" is the right term here.

- in some way we help Apple as kind of (maybe unwanted) beta-testers

- we make it popular. Every friend who saw OSX on my machine wants to have it, too.

And why is Apple a struggled company? I mean, the y are on their way to #1 in

Music-Biz, and also don't forget the ipod.

I think, we support Apple.

:angry:

No, stealing is not theright term here. It's borrowing, cause you are going to give it back right?

- Apple should be on its knees kissing our a55 for all the help we give them.

Yeah, Apple has no plans to release OS X for any x86 system, but we're helping them to accomplish that goal?.

-we make it popular. Every friend that saw OS X running on my system wanted me to burn him a free pirated copy too!

Yeah, we are definitely doing a good thing for Apple, they should be so grateful to us all. :hysterical:

I am not to sure about concret facts here but from my understanding xerox build a windows type enviroment some time before apple brought out their mac os which was based on the xerox os, then microsoft came out with windows 2.x

My point here is who "owns" a windows os enviroment

and by us using this hacked / modified version then not the same as apple did to xerox and what microsoft did to apple??

proberly not !

-when a copyright exists what exactly does it entail ...i.e 0's and 1's on a hard drive if any of those numbers were changed to make a significant change in the way software runs would that then not in-validate the copy right??

:angry:

All i know is, if this was around 2 years ago, i woulda put it on my pc INSTEAd of buying a iBook that i didnt really use, its nice to have the laptop, but it was a toy for getting to know the software, once i learned how the OSx environment worked, i fell in love with it, nad i just bought a new MacTel iMac.

i'm not stealing. i don't download mp3s or software, simply because I can go to a shop and BUY that stuff. I can't buy OSX, so I download it. If I could buy it, then I would.

What we should all do, is everyone who installs OSX and gets it working, send $100 (unmarked bills lol) to Mr Jobs personally. If he had thousands of envelopes full of cash he may think... "hmmm... there's money in this OSX malarky" :angel:

i'm not stealing. i don't download mp3s or software, simply because I can go to a shop and BUY that stuff. I can't buy OSX, so I download it. If I could buy it, then I would.

What we should all do, is everyone who installs OSX and gets it working, send $100 (unmarked bills lol) to Mr Jobs personally. If he had thousands of envelopes full of cash he may think... "hmmm... there's money in this OSX malarky" :D

If your post office is anything like my post office he'd actually be thinking... "Hmm.... why do people keep sending me open, empty envelopes?"

use t ogo to the apple store to try out a mac but theres so much you can do there, decided to try this leak and i feel in love with it so much that i ordered an imac 20"

to get a fully compatible mac. I thank this community for the work and allwoing me to work certain applications to my taste-try out how i wanted to without time limitations.

I just payed 99 bucks for the symphony jam pack for garage band even though if it were properly priced at about 29 bucks they would sell 20 to 100 times as many of them, so add that to the about $1500 i already spent on powerbook, keyboard mouse, and in the next week or so i will be getting the drum pack... and if I had lots o money I would probably buy logic or whatever it is called, so no we're not stealing and IMHO, Apple should donate to this site. BTW, I frequently give Apple very good advice on how much they should charge for thier items and they have never listened or even said thanks.

:(

HaHa its sad to see some people actually believe marketing nonsense.Why do Apple fans love the same things about apple that everyone else hates ? I don't need (the prophet LOL) Steve Jobs telling me how to use my computer any more than Bill (Bloody) Gates.

Apple is selling mactels with a VERY sizable mark up over other PC manufactures systems. They make a player that is paired with their music sales web site.If apple were as big as Microsoft they would be in BIGGER trouble for their anti-competitive behaviour.

And just for the record Robin Hood never exsisted he is a composite character of many fictional and real people.

The truth is that as soon as iPod sales go into terminal decline, and they will when every mobile phone you get free on contract has a better feature set than an ipod and ipaq put together. Who hasnt read all the Analysts reports last year that Apple could make 3 or 4 times as much profits from selling Software(OSX) than their present hardware business.

Remember folks that old proverb "Money talks" Apple will be wherever they have to be to make money thats how ny business works.

Myself i have been a apple user and nix user for about 9 years. Apple is geting a {censored}load of new users cause of intel macs and people finnaly looking at macs on x86 and switching cause they see windows is {censored}! but if u like it please buy the cd cause its not cool to steal off apple. Apple dosnt even use serials for their os . dont makem turn into serial monsters! anyhow i think apple dont mind cause their geting free beta testers and more people are switching!

Apple could make some very quick profit from selling OS X - but MacX pointed out the huge problems

Apple dosnt even use serials for their os

If OSX works for every PC and its dog - millions of people will pirate it. And i dont mean the way this forum aid's pirates. People here might use OSX without paying, but they have to work their nads off in order to make half the system work.

If apple wanna get us buying mac's - ffs - LOWER THE PRICE. It is simply a fact that you can build a PC for much much less than an equivilent mac. Some combos cost $300+ extra - and $300 is too much for OSX.

So anyone who thinks we are pirates should sit back and think. I sold my iBook and iSight and Apple KB because I needed a Windows machine - but if i can boot Windows AND OSX on a machine that is priced like my current laptop - I would be on ebay RIGHT NOW selling it.

Just my :guitar:

Myself i have been a apple user and nix user for about 9 years. Apple is geting a {censored}load of new users cause of intel macs and people finnaly looking at macs on x86 and switching cause they see windows is {censored}! but if u like it please buy the cd cause its not cool to steal off apple. Apple dosnt even use serials for their os . dont makem turn into serial monsters! anyhow i think apple dont mind cause their geting free beta testers and more people are switching!

Apple dont use serials because the make their profits from hardware sales , profits like around £600 over very similar Acer laptops (£600 for an operating system ?) That is why they are not "serial monsters" and if you expect me to pay £100 for an operating system that i have to patch then spend many hours setting up so that i can get no support from Apple ?!? do you waste money like that just cause apple are "cool"

Apple users never cease to amaze me with their continued devotion , its a product !!!!!!!!! OSx Rocks i agree but i doesnt rock anywhere near enough to spend really stupid amounts of money on overpriced hardware, I dont even own an iPod cause DRM makes me sick and there are much nicer products out there and generally my products dont need to be idiot proof !

I don't think Apple cares about the hard core hackers. They know (as would any software company) they cannot stop 100% of the hackers. It's just improbable (not impossible, as nothing is impossible). What Apple does is make it as hard as they can for someone to install the OS on something not supported (meaning the average Windows user couldn't do it without a lot of help).