10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext must be loaded at boottime for sleep to work. I tried out your method, but it didn't work. Once the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext has been loaded, it is useless to load the disabler kext to get the Bios Powermanagement back, temps stay up high :)

Maybe it could help : i can sleep (quick and safe) but not deep.

I'm using kernel 9.8.0 (10.5.8) from last update.

To retrieve sleep, i need to :

- delete disabler.kext from /Extra

- delete IntelCPUMDisabler from /Extra

- use gfx strings for my GFX cards (HD 4870)

- use chameleon 2,0rc1 (rc2 breaks desktop)

- use a DSDT.aml generated with 'force HPET' option

Actually, my kexts from /Extra are :

AppleDecrypt.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

Darwinx86-ADI1988b-Injector.kext (sound for P5K-E Wifi/AP)

OpenHaltRestart.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

VoodooUSBEHCI.kext

My options in com.apple.coot.plist :

../..

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,4)</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>ForceWake</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

../..

Maybe, deep can run after removal of OpenHaltRestart.... have to try (i'm tired to reboot since 10.5.8 update ;-))

Gook luck ;)

thx for the advice!

tried with DSDT.aml, no sleep.

I guess it has something to do with USB: after entering sleep (and not waking up) I reset the PC and very often at thenext reboot the USB-keyboard is not recognized.

Is one of the kext you are listing (not using all of them) for USB-issues?

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext must be loaded at boottime for sleep to work. I tried out your method, but it didn't work. Once the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext has been loaded, it is useless to load the disabler kext to get the Bios Powermanagement back, temps stay up high :rolleyes:

You are totally right! I have updated my sleep fix --> http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...ep-fix-for-1058

Thank you very much. We still need to find a better solution ;)

Guest ѕиоѡ

haha no way, I just bloody removed sleepwatcher because KX driver has proper power management now and works without load/unload script in sleepwatcher.

I'm not going that route again hehe, thx for the fix though bud :wacko:

Guest ѕиоѡ

Oh hi bud, just posted on your other thread. Does this require a dsdt.aml file because I havent used one as of yet.

KX driver makes your Audigy 2 ZS work in 8 channels and 32 bit so full surround.

I no longer have to use the ALC 889a.

Oh hi bud, just posted on your other thread. Does this require a dsdt.aml file because I havent used one as of yet.

KX driver makes your Audigy 2 ZS work in 8 channels and 32 bit so full surround.

I no longer have to use the ALC 889a.

Replied on the other topic :graduated:

I noticed that all of us complain that our CPUs run 8C hotter!!! Mine was 36C and now it's 44C. I don't mind though, it doesn't exceed 50C at maximum load.

Edit: I installed VoodooPower.kext and that actually made speed step work and reduced my temp back to 36C. CPU-x shows my cpu running at 1200MHz with a 6X multiplier. SLEEP WORKS.... YEAH!

So to sum up, in my case:

Removed disabler.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement + VoodooPower + patched DSDT = sleep working, speed step working, CPU temp low

Hi Guys,

The reason for the 10.5.8 sleep problems is, that there is a small piece of code added to the new kernel, that tries to shut down all CPUs (except the one running the go-to-sleep code of course :D when going to sleep. This is implemented by calling the registered PM extension (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement under normal circumstances) and expects a KERN_SUCCESS return value.

However, when there is no PM extension registered (VoodooPower doesn't register itself as one, and probably for a good reason - the PM extension is quite tightly bound to kernel version, so there would have to be one VoodooPower.kext per kernel version), the fallback behavior is to return an error code, which in turn causes the kernel to panic (but you won't see the panic screen because your monitor is already turned off at that point, so it merely appears to hang while going to sleep).

Long story short, I'll try to write a kext that will fix this later today (2100 GMT+2 at the earliest :) and will post it here for you to test :)

P.S. regarding kernel swapping - if you can't wait, I think this is quite a good solution - there are so few changes in the .8 kernel except this PM craziness, that I think you'll be quite fine using the .7 kernel - just make sure you swap the System.kext for the correct one as well, otherwise you'll get all sorts of problems

Hi Guys,

The reason for the 10.5.8 sleep problems is, that there is a small piece of code added to the new kernel, that tries to shut down all CPUs (except the one running the go-to-sleep code of course :D when going to sleep. This is implemented by calling the registered PM extension (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement under normal circumstances) and expects a KERN_SUCCESS return value.

However, when there is no PM extension registered (VoodooPower doesn't register itself as one, and probably for a good reason - the PM extension is quite tightly bound to kernel version, so there would have to be one VoodooPower.kext per kernel version), the fallback behavior is to return an error code, which in turn causes the kernel to panic (but you won't see the panic screen because your monitor is already turned off at that point, so it merely appears to hang while going to sleep).

Long story short, I'll try to write a kext that will fix this later today (2100 GMT+2 at the earliest :) and will post it here for you to test :)

Nice thank you, I want to be the first to test :P

Guest ѕиоѡ

Thx a lot Pista for the detailed info.

I will keep using the 7 kernel until there is a proper solution. You mentioned the system kext, does that mean I also have to use the 10.5.7 version or?

I have no issues so far (haven't checked time machine but thats another road) so do you think it is still needed to use the system kext?

Thx and I can't wait to try out your work bud.

Thx a lot Pista for the detailed info.

I will keep using the 7 kernel until there is a proper solution. You mentioned the system kext, does that mean I also have to use the 10.5.7 version or?

I have no issues so far (haven't checked time machine but thats another road) so do you think it is still needed to use the system kext?

Thx and I can't wait to try out your work bud.

Well, the System.kext is a product of the kernel build process (along with mach_kernel itself) making it essentially a part of the kernel, so yeah, I believe it's always a really good idea to have a System.kext that matches the kernel you use.

btw., the most often reported issue with a mismatched System.kext is with USB automounting

Guest ѕиоѡ
Well, the System.kext is a product of the kernel build process (along with mach_kernel itself) making it essentially a part of the kernel, so yeah, I believe it's always a really good idea to have a System.kext that matches the kernel you use.

btw., the most often reported issue with a mismatched System.kext is with USB automounting

Ok, I will try without the system.kext until I run into issues (no USB or other issues for that matter)

Knowing me I might forget to switch the system.kext too (along with the kernel) when the fix arrives ;)

Thx again for your input m8

Ok, I will try without the system.kext until I run into issues (no USB or other issues for that matter)

Knowing me I might forget to switch the system.kext too (along with the kernel) when the fix arrives ;)

Thx again for your input m8

Sиоѡ, I can't send you any PM due to your strange pseudo. Please mail me: thireus@gmail.com

For the reply:

Hi,

I used this guide in the past to use dsdt:

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-122655...ith-ideneb-v1-3

But it require DSDT patcher :/

You can read this post: http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-163746...xed#post-521812 --> you can get dsdt.aml with linux ;) so try this one :P

Guest ѕиоѡ

I changed my "Snow" nick to this a while ago, guess I should have left it alone. I will try to change it again.

Thx for the dsdt info bro

What exactz do you mean ?

Sleep without that temp rising AppleIntelCPU.kext ?

Or onyl with that "problem" of higher cpu temp ?

Higher CPU temp wouldnt be really an "everything working".

Your question here prompted me to look a little deeper.

Actually all I can say at this point is that everything *except* my CPU & sleep seem to be working properly.

When I try to sleep the computer, it actually shuts the computer down. It is not a graceful shutdown, its just a sudden turning off of the computer. With 10.5.7 (and earlier) it would sleep properly where after sleep, I could simply push the power button and everything would come up as I had left it on my desktop. Now when I sleep it simply turns the computer off as if I simply pulled the power cord from the wall.

Also I assume I have the higher CPU power temps. I had not measured it before upgrading to 10.5.8, but now it is running at 59C/138F. By comparison, our new Apple iMac runs at 34C/94F.

So apparently everything really isn't working, but at least its booting & running.

So, I guess I'm screwed. I just updated to 10.5.8 today through Apple Software Update and hibernation is broken. (Originally on iPC 10.5.6)

I don't have "Disabler.kext" in /Extra or /S/L/E.

I DO have Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext (NOT dsmos.kext)

I don't have an EFI partition

I have patched my DSDT with HPET

Removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext results in a kernel panic

Removing IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext results in a kernel panic

Going back to the kernel from 10.5.7 didn't work

I guess I'll just have to wait until someone comes up with a proper fix.

(Specs in signature are correct)

So, I guess I'm screwed. I just updated to 10.5.8 today through Apple Software Update and hibernation is broken. (Originally on iPC 10.5.6)

I don't have "Disabler.kext" in /Extra or /S/L/E.

I DO have Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext (NOT dsmos.kext)

I don't have an EFI partition

I have patched my DSDT with HPET

Removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext results in a kernel panic

Removing IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext results in a kernel panic

Going back to the kernel from 10.5.7 didn't work

I guess I'll just have to wait until someone comes up with a proper fix.

(Specs in signature are correct)

What about installing VoodooPower and removing both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement & IntelCPUPMDisabler and then reboot? ;)

Ok, here it is. However, since I've managed to completely destabilize my desktop (running vanilla 10.5.8) yesterday, I've had to blind-code this on my Pentium-M notebook, on which I still run the voodoo 10.5.7 kernel, so it's completely untested (except it is loadable without the important part on 10.5.7 when built for 10.5.7 - the version attached is hopefully built to run on 10.5.8, and including the important part).

Testing suggestions (lines with $ are supposed to be entered into Terminal.app with current directory set to wherever SleepEnabler.kext is extracted ;)

1. extract the attached kext somewhere else than /Extra/Extensions or /S/L/E so you won't make your system unbootable in case something goes awfully wrong

2. $ sudo chown -R 0:0 SleepEnabler.kext

3. $ sync (just to be safe)

4. $ sudo kextload -t SleepEnabler.kext

if the kext loads successfully, try if sleep works, and if it does, move it to a more permanent location using any tool/procedure you are accustomed to

if it doesn't:

1. if the kextload fails, post here the error messages

2. if it panics, try to provide a readable screenshot/photo of the panic output (I believe you have to enable the panic output somehow - search the forums :D I'm too tired to look for it right now.

happy testing (and, hopefully, sleeping...)

Edit: download removed, the final (working) version is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1224830

But sleep doesn't work. KP :)

Visible KP? that's at least a bit better than hanging after the display is turned off ;)

Could you try to take a picture of the KP screen with debug turned on? (enabled with something like debug=0x144 I believe, in kernel arguments)

Visible KP? that's at least a bit better than hanging after the display is turned off :)

Could you try to take a picture of the KP screen with debug turned on? (enabled with something like debug=0x144 I believe, in kernel arguments)

Not visible, display is turned off... But I suppose this is a KP because it goes totally frozen. Nothing is into the Console regarding this KP :'(