10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

Ok an update on my situation. Got the orange icon problem solved. Everything is working just fine, except it won't sleep properly. When I manually put it to sleep, the screen blanks but the computer itself doesn't sleep. Also, once its been manually put to sleep (if you can call it sleep) it won't wake back up.

I don't know about the CPU temperature. IS there a utility that I can run to tell me what the temperature is?

http://www.bresink.de/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

So I fixed my Deep Sleep, while still keeping AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (in a matter of speaking) AND Disabler intact. I don't know if this would be a solid solution for all or if it was a risky move but so far my temps are still in the 30's range and Deep Sleep's working like a charm again.

I rolled back to the 9.7.0 kernel as some may have mentioned, though I don't know if it's entirely necessary; I'm not in the mood of risking it with the other step I took:: I reinstalled the 10.5.7 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file, replacing the 10.5.8 file. I don't know if this fix would work with other CPUPM disablers, but it worked for me, and as far as I'm concerned, all is well once more. :D

I can confirm this. Patch dsdt and remove Disabler.kext. Thx a lot :)

I have my dsdt in the extra folder and I tested it but I get KP when I take off the disabler.kext and leave AppleIntelPowerManagement.

I have my dsdt in the extra folder and I tested it but I get KP when I take off the disabler.kext and leave AppleIntelPowerManagement.

my dsdt.aml is in the root of Mac HD using the DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 patched with "the new hpet option" (don't know what this mean). All my kext's are in system/library/extensions.

(GA EP45-UD3R and Intel Quad, 10.5.8 Retail)

my dsdt.aml is in the root of Mac HD using the DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 patched with "the new hpet option" (don't know what this mean). All my kext's are in system/library/extensions.

(GA EP45-UD3R and Intel Quad, 10.5.8 Retail)

HPET = an option in the dsdt.aml that disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ,or something like that.

Funny thing is that CPU Powermanagement works fine WITHOUT AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext but CPU runs at full horsepower when its loaded.

I never "missed" that kext, but too bad it is now required for proper sleep. I guess there is no other way than making correct SSDT entries with stepping-infos to my DSDT File to make CPU Powermanagement work with the kext loaded?

yup, I can confirm that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is working without disabler.kext or NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, I put my dsdt.aml in the root of Leopard and its working like a charm, but the temperature rise 8C to 32C from 24C

yup, I can confirm that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is working without disabler.kext or NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, I put my dsdt.aml in the root of Leopard and its working like a charm, but the temperature rise 8C to 32C from 24C

same here. temperature rises from 58 to 65°C. :P

wow, must be really cold there where you are? :(

HPET = an option in the dsdt.aml that disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ,or something like that.

NO !

HPET is an special function (high precison timer) like RTC (old+slower way for timer) which does similar.

Does not direct enable/disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Used by many things ,

but RTC function (if no HPET) is slower /needs more CPU ticks.

NO !

HPET is an special function (high precison timer) like RTC (old+slower way for timer) which does similar.

Does not direct enable/disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Used by many things ,

but RTC function (if no HPET) is slower /needs more CPU ticks.

Thank you for this information :(

I also tested AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement without VoodooPower and OpenhaltRestart. Restart and Shutdown works but take like 6 or 7 seconds to do it. Also temperature rise from 32C to 40C

Is your GFX card actived by EFI string or by DSDT ?

By DSDT, Sleep doesn't work, by EFI STRINGS, it works ! :(

Unfortunately on my system, if AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is present in my /System/Library/Extensions folder and I do not have IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext installed, then my system will not boot. How do I fix that? Do I need to do something to get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to work?

Unfortunately on my system, if AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is present in my /System/Library/Extensions folder and I do not have IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext installed, then my system will not boot. How do I fix that? Do I need to do something to get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to work?

You need to have a proper DSDT.AML in root in order for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext works. You will be able to get also the sleep function.

Is your GFX card actived by EFI string or by DSDT ?

By DSDT, Sleep doesn't work, by EFI STRINGS, it works ! :(

My GFX is working with the netka's kext.

just for the record:

deleting the kexts + removing the extensions.mkext (backup is booted) AND/OR (not sure) -f @darwin does the same, as either deleting or a -f boot creates a new extensions.mkext (from the kexts found in extensions folder) ?

i always do both : )

also i "touch" the extensions folder, and perform a permission repair before rebooting with -f.

can anybody give me an "amen" please, that this is correct... : )

Just do a -f (force) reloading. Everything else is a bunch of extra work (touch/mkext/etc).

Generally you don't need to do a permission repair as the only way you can work with kext/system is as root. But it won't break anything if you do repairs. I usually only do repairs if/when the file system mounts uncleanly (kernel panic).

Could anyone please send me the original 10.5.8 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, because I deleted it after the 10.5.8 update. Quite stupid of me, without backing up...

I just removed Disabler.kext, the sleep still doesn't work properly, i.e. the screen gets off, I can hear "tick" from shutting the system off like before in 10.5.7, but it doesn't load again after clicking the power button and it needs either reset or holding the power button to switch off.

Everything else works fine here - GA-P35-S3G, E5200 Core2Duo, GALAXY 7600 GS

ok , sleep working now on 10.5.8

What I did -

1. deleted the Disabler in /extra/extensions.mkext

original 10.5.8 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext still in extensions folder !

2. opened DSDT Patcher GUI and created a new DSDT.aml with " New HPET" function

My DSDT.aml I had on 10.5.7 didn`t had this NEW HPET enabled

So if removing the disabler does not work for you , try to generate a new DSDT.AMl with "NEW HPET "function

regards

Hi,

I`m at GA-G33-DS2R, E8400....installed 10.5.8 retail (MBR) with boot-132, Chameleon2 and havin just the mkext and a DSDT in my Extras-Folder...

after Update to 10.5.8 my sleep doesn`t work at all....

After deleting:

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

Disabler.kext,

refreshing the mkext and rebooting with -f:

sleep works like a charm!

(even wake through double click - yeha ^_^ )

Greets

xzeroGx

Everybody must choose if want no sleep but much less CPU temp or sleep mode available with higher CPU temp= more power consumption by enabling AppleIntelCPU.

I chose first, because its better for my usage. I dont use sleep often and shut down it if needed.