[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

I did do the 1.4 Extras as well as the new bootloader (even though it kind of messed up my dual boot - but it was fixable). My big problem is that after doing so when I boot up now I get a blank white screen. Anyone else with similar problems and hopefully a solution?

what video card you have, intel or nvidia??

So far so good bro. It's by far the closest to the mac god so far. Lots of peeps using a09 and reporting same success and even some have deep sleep working. I wasn't able to get the deep sleep to work either but I'm the same mind as leppy on that one - really don't care that much about it.

gl.

Forget about the wireless intel guy. - It's just not gonna fly until a good driver comes along and u could be waiting till the cows come home on their own for that to happen.

My suggestion buy a cheap broadcom wl off ebay. In the meantime until it arrives use leppy's bcm5751 kext from his pack. I wouldn't bother updating right away though ... wait till you get your broadcom and make sure it's working on 10.6.0 first as the update to 10.6.5 breaks the wireless for some.

I bought a DW-1390 card and it worked on the original 10.6.0 that I installed and I was so happy. but what you said happened exactly. I updated to 10.6.5 and the wireless no longer works. It says it is on and it sees all of the networks around me and it connects...but then Safari says there no Internet connection, etc. Has anyone had this problem or have a work around?

So far so good bro. It's by far the closest to the mac god so far. Lots of peeps using a09 and reporting same success and even some have deep sleep working. I wasn't able to get the deep sleep to work either but I'm the same mind as leppy on that one - really don't care that much about it.

So how far does sleep work?

I call your bs Intel Wi-fi works on my d620

Update the network kext by directly injecting it then

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

With the help of this post, I'm up and running ALMOST with Snow 10.6.4 on my D620 (950graphics, broadcom wireless). My only issue is the fact that my DVD drive is not recognized in Snow. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks. ssprod

Greetings,

With the help of this post, I'm up and running ALMOST with Snow 10.6.4 on my D620 (950graphics, broadcom wireless). My only issue is the fact that my DVD drive is not recognized in Snow. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks. ssprod

Try the latest EDP package from, D4x0 -> http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/to...ate-4-released/

Thanks so much for that mate! That did the trick...didn't know there was an actual site dedicated to the series. Thanks again. ssprod

osxlatitude.com was started by several people from this thread actually, and to begin with, everything was based on leppys work.. these days.. not much is left.. except the slogan :) .. you can find our wiki osxlatitude.com with ALOT of usefull information for running osx on your latitude ;)

This is the guide you've all been waiting for!

Dual Boot OS X and Windows 7

Materials:

D620 w/ intel graphics

OS X retail disk 10.6.3

D620SLV1.iso

A Dell 1490 Wi-Fi car

These Kexts...

Steps to install:

1. Turn on PC and push [F2] to get into the bios menu load defaults in the bios.
  2. Eject the disc drive and insert D620SLV1.iso.
  3. Save settings in Bios and restart...
  4. On booting push [F12] to go into the one time boot menu select DVD/CD drive and push [Enter] (Picture)
  5. Eject D620SLV1.iso and insert your snow leopard Disc
  6. Push [F5] it will reload and you will have a Mac OS X DVD appear
  7. Select it ant push [Enter]
  8. Gray apple logo will appear and will take anywhere from 2-5 min. to load
  9. Select you language and push continue (trackpad+ keyboard and USB work and battery meter will be accurate)
  10. On the top menu select Utilities>Disk Utility
  11. Partition you hard drive by selecting it and Make sure it is a GUID Table and Mac OS X Extended Journaled (min of 10 GB of space) also create a windows Partition (make it fat partition)
  12. Name it "Macintosh HD" (For some reason naming it this will elude the famous OS X install Failed every time)
  13. Exit out of Disk utility by pushing the red orb
  14. Continue through the install process until it ask where to install.
  15. Select customize and unselect everything possible (stuff you don't need). Select your drive and install...

Post Install

Don't register, get username+password

Eject Snow Leopard Retail Disk

Inert D620SLV1.iso

Open it up and Click on postinstall.cmd

Enter password and push [1] for lizard goodies and [1]

Download the attached ionDRVR.kext and place it in system>library>extensions

Do the same with the ethernet.kext + Networking.kexts

Eject disc and reboot, if it all turns out party....

Install Windows 7 on the partition you created for it...

*After installing windows you won't be able to get back in to os x using the boot loader/ you can only use the SLV1 cd you created!

1. To fix it install easy BCD and create a new entry... anything really..... (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)
  2. Insert your retail OS X DVD.... in Windows explorer you have a navigation tab on the left click on the DVD and browse for the boot camp folder. Open it up and run setup... This will install a bunch of drivers that will screw up sound only... Uninstall everything that is network or sound related.
  3. Restart Boot into Windows 7 again. Now you should be able to see your OS X partition! :)
  4. Delete the entry you made in Easy BCD and uninstall the program....
  5. Restart and boot into the SLV1 cd you created.... boot into OS X
  6. Now download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install:
  7. Repair disk permissions and rebuild mkext,
  8. Then install chameleon boot loader r4 (SLV1 cd has r3)
  9. Party you did it! After a reboot of course!

What this does: you have OS X and windows 7 on one drive and can boot into either of them using chameleon. Win 7 and OS X can see each other! so you can have one music library on one HD not copied into 2.

This install method was created by kkdart and please don't copy this without citing me! ;) See ya!

*Dell 1490 wi-fi card should be installed using a method from earlier in this forum...

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to install some custom on my d620 with intel. Installed successfully but when i launch pc it just shows apple logo on gray background and then restarts...

--

Well it starts to load when i selected single core mode in bios, but now after some it its just black screen.

--

Yeeeey, used BOOT-132-D620v2 and now all is ok

--

But without cd it just not start :thumbsup_anim:

Any one tried 10.6.6 and the mac app store??? http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343 I might but am hoping someone will first!!! Any one tried 10.6.6 and the mac app store??? http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343 I might but am hoping someone will first!!!

Just tried 10.6.6 via combo update on my gma950 latitude d820, and like the previous posts on how to install via leppy to 10.6.4 and 10.6.5, 10.6.6 is the same...! Just kexthelper the IONDRVSupport.kext (v.2.0, posted somewhere on this thread), and you'll get QE/CI back...wifi/ethernet is still working...since we are assuming that we started from the 10.6.4 upgrade describe on post #1101...well, that's what I used...since I'm not a power-user, not having sleep working is not a deal-breaker...

The latitude's volume/mute buttons work, sound, wifi, ethernet, 1920x1200 resolution with qe/ci in a 15" laptop, and the most attractive, even the sim slot & pci-e slot built-in my latitude d820 works, so putting an internal built-in card is straight forward, and after installing the 3g card's drivers, I can surf via wireless broadband...! something that not even current generation of i5/i7 MacBook Pros can do!

Haven't tried the Apps Store...some people think it's a way for Apple to exercise more control over OSX, but for non-technical users, it's an easy way to have the apps up to date...

I'm following this guide

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178411#

and fater starting osx install i'm constantly getting this error

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5020311/IMG_6729.JPG

what am i doing wrong?

This instead...

http://www.osxlatitude.com/groups/d4xosx/w...l_Latitude.html

Updated my D420 yesterday to 10.6.6 using the resources at:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/

Everything important is working including sleep/wake, (sd card still not sorted). Mac App Store works a treat.

I recommend any 4x0 or 6x0 owners have a look at this site. These guys are dedicated to getting as many of the latitude series fully working as possible building on the great work done by Leppy.

Mac app store works (autodesk... something doesn't download correctly though) all other apps work even money 3 installed not using the app store but notices it.

Youtube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZfSewe7R6s

Note: you don't need a credit card to access the mac app store (complete the new agreement in iTunes to bypass it.

Thanks guys!

P.S. you can dowload the update from the apple website

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343!

Can someone help me out. Everything on my Snow Leopard, Dell Latitude D620 laptop works execpt I have to plug in a External Monitor to view the screen. I also have to plug in an external keyboard and mouse but I can live with that. I tried al sorts of kewt to get the internal monitor to work on its own. Can someone please help me out. also send an e-mail or PM via insanelymac

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Leppy, I've got a D620/GMA950 working absolutely fine under SL 10.6.2, except for Bluetooth Audio.

Bluetooth in itself is not an issue, as I can pair and connect to my Magic Mouse or Keyboard. However, bluetooth audio devices (headsets, speakers) will pair but not connect.

My audio device is a SigmaTel 9200 chip, I do have sound although it doesn't appear in system info.

Do you guys suspect a bluetooth and/or audio error? Any luck with this one?

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Leppy, I've got a D620/GMA950 working absolutely fine under SL 10.6.2, except for Bluetooth Audio.

Bluetooth in itself is not an issue, as I can pair and connect to my Magic Mouse or Keyboard. However, bluetooth audio devices (headsets, speakers) will pair but not connect.

My audio device is a SigmaTel 9200 chip, I do have sound although it doesn't appear in system info.

Do you guys suspect a bluetooth and/or audio error? Any luck with this one?

Thanks in advance

Your might want to try EDP from here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/forum/8-releases/ - its a package designed for our dells..

• 1 month later...
OS X 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) Retail Installation Procedure

I ran across this thread and was successful in installing 10.6.6 with all updates to my D620 as follows:

My DVD drive will not read DL DVDs so I used the guide found on TonyMacX86 site (Google for it) to generate a single layer version of my retail DVD(s). I tried to install with a 10.6.3 but it was a no go so went back and made the single layer DVD of 10.6.0 and installed as in the guide in post #2.

I then ran the 10.6.6 combo update. I have WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Sound, 1400 x 900 with acceleration, and battery all working but no sleep.

This is great! Thank you leppy700M.

neil

edit 3/5/11

Okay the update to AirPort killed my Broadcom card. I went back to version 3.0 of IO80211Family.kext to resolve.