[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1331 replies to this topic

moriarty

moriarty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all, I think I have some really good news. I have my Intel 3945 Wifi adapter in my D620 working. I've been away from the forums for awhile, so if has already been done, then please, ignore this.

I've been using Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my D620 for two weeks now (approximately) with great luck. However, the other day, I noticed that it seemed like my system had a memory leak which seemingly was caused by the Nvidia video kext. So, I started looking for some fixes.

Well, this morning (Sat, 17 April 2010) I downloaded the .RAR file above, and installed it on my D620. When it booted, I noticed that I had an AIRPORT icon in my menu bar, and when I opened system preferences, I was prompted to add a new AirPort device. WOW!

My hardware is a D620 with the NVS 110M video card and the Intel 3945 Wifi card. In the past I had played around with the Voodoo Labs 3945 driver, but never had any luck with it - until today. And Wi-fi catcher mode is turned off in the BIOS. BIOS version is A10, BTW.

The only problem I am having with this is while it is showing my neighbors pop on/off the list of available networks, I cannot connect to any of them, not even the unsecured ones.

Please see the screenshots for additional information.

Talk about feeling so close, and yet, so far away.... :)

Brian
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_04_17_at_11.05.02_AM.png   1.13MB   106 downloadsAttached File  Screen_shot_2010_04_17_at_11.06.37_AM.png   818.04KB   87 downloadspng]
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_04_17_at_11.05.26_AM.png   1.13MB   70 downloads

mercurysquad

mercurysquad

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 521 posts
Not being able to connect to any network is a known problem. I'm working on it and hopefully very soon all these issues will be fixed, once the net80211 port is completed.

Mikkp

Mikkp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Not being able to connect to any network is a known problem. I'm working on it and hopefully very soon all these issues will be fixed, once the net80211 port is completed.

Wowow, i've been following you on Facebook for a while now but i'm suprised you posted here! ;)
I currently have Airport switched off due to it not working with my router which is Secured but it is working which is really positive.

Looking forward to the net80211 port.

M.

ouimetnick

ouimetnick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I updated to 10.6.3. It seemed to have messed up my graphics. I have the Intel GMA 950, no Nvidia. After going to 10.6.3, the screen saver lags, and stutters. I can't even use the iTunes viulizer. I can't play iTunes movies in full screen, it stutters. I have to play videos regularly in iTunes. It stutters when I move the mouse enabling the on screen controls. I'm going to go back to 10.6.2. Any idea why this update has changed it?

lemans

lemans

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hi all,

I have successfully updated my D620 nv to 10.6.3.
All works just fine, except DVD Playback. It never worked for me with vlc.
I get reading errors. I thought its the DVD or the drive, do I swapped the disks as well as the drive.

Please see the signature for my hardware.

Can someone suggest what to try to get DVD Playback working?

THanks.

PS: Thanks Leppy700m for the great guide.

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Hi all,

I have successfully updated my D620 nv to 10.6.3.
All works just fine, except DVD Playback. It never worked for me with vlc.
I get reading errors. I thought its the DVD or the drive, do I swapped the disks as well as the drive.

Please see the signature for my hardware.

Can someone suggest what to try to get DVD Playback working?

THanks.

PS: Thanks Leppy700m for the great guide.

Use VLC

pCs333

pCs333

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi guys, great guide leppy cheers. :lol:

i`ve got a d620 with intel graphics, and everything seems to be working on 10.6 except the sleep issue using the snow leopard kexts and dsdt.

is there any way to enable hibernate mode ? or does that not work either. I have noticed on boot it complains that a hibernation image is too old but that forcewake=y ignores the message. It would be nice to get some kind of sleep mode working.

another issue i am having is the trackpad scroll. How do i get 1 finger scroll to work? i have tried different kexts including the ps2 one from voodoo but none of them work or if they do the pointer is erratic and unusable.

are there any other better or extra tips to add to leppys experimental pack because i notice he hasn`t updated it for quite a while. Just wandering if this is as good as it gets on the d620.

cheers guys ;)

lemans

lemans

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
HI,

I am using VLC. It does not work.

Any Ideas?

Use VLC

ltoolio

ltoolio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I've been away from this post for a while, so I've lost track a bit as to what is the current "best build" for the D620, especially in light of 10.6.3.

Can anyone suggest which post number has the most current DSDT/Kext Pack for it? I've gone back 10 pages or so and can't seem to find anything more updated than what I have (which might mean that there isn't anything new :thumbsup_anim: )

chronosxx

chronosxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Does your D420 use a GMA950 chipset, and if so, does your SL have QE working?

If it does, could you post your config to get your graphics working correctly and the graphics kexts?

I upgraded my D420 to 10.6.3 but i noticed it's a little bit slower than 6.2?

yep it's on the first page.

bajaman

bajaman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great instructions and install worked flawlessly! I have a D620 now running 10.6.3 after updates.

Initial installation: Everything working accept Bluetooth

After upgrading: Graphics (intel 945) working but not optimal... lost transparency and really flakes out if I remote desktop to a windows server. No artifacts though!!!

I'm thinking I will go through the install again to pinpoint which upgrade degraded the graphics. I think it was 10.6.3 but I wasn't paying attention.

Any thoughts on Bluetooth? Is it possible?

Thanks!!!

***Updated*** It was the 10.6.3 update that screws up the graphics.

lemans

lemans

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
HI,

did someone get the fast IR working?

I really like to use the apple remote for front row... :-)

Any thoughts?

lemans

maykmac

maykmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
i restored it back to 10.6.2 because preview is not working and VLC is not working either.

im trying SL on XPS 1640 now but have no luck Kalyway 10.5.2 seems to be the only one i can boot and install (i want SL tho)

Does your D420 use a GMA950 chipset, and if so, does your SL have QE working?

If it does, could you post your config to get your graphics working correctly and the graphics kexts?

Zackouille

Zackouille

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Zack,
For restart to work make sure you have openhaltrestart, nullcpupowermanagement, voodooPower.kext in your e/e
Then rebuild your mkext.command then repair permission.
Restart will work it will delay for almost 15 to 30sec for it to kick in.

hi
thanks for the answer.
but, i don't have Voodoopower.kext. and it seems that Voodoopower is not supported with SL.
i have tried voodoopowermini, but, i cannot install it. (it say that voodopowermini is not supported)
so, finally, i don't have throtlling enabled, neither the ability to restart / shutdown.
i have tried CPU-I and no throttling apear.
with the command "sysctl -a | grep cpu" the min frequency is equal to the max.
and no CPU trotlle info...

if you have any idea...
kind regards

zackouille

dustpuppy

dustpuppy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Folks, I've ran into some trouble here.

I have a D620 with intel graphics, running 10.6.3.

Yesterday I discovered that my ethernet (Broadcom 5752) stopped working.

It used to work with 10.6.2, and I thought it worked with 10.6.3, but I could be mistaking.

Network prefences says the cable isn't connected, wich is not the case.

Can anyone shed some light on this and point me in the right direction? I really need the nic.

dustpuppy

dustpuppy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
There is always a positive side to not getting any answers.....

Finding the solution on your own.

I've got it working now, I placed this kext in extra/extensions, rebuilt mkext, rebooted, voila! it works!

http://www.insanelym...p...ost&id=1185

BTW, for any users working with vmware fusion and autocad electrical, download the new betaversion of vmware.
This solved the project-manager issues.

loudog3114

loudog3114

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I am only getting display through the vga-out now after the 10.6.3 update and the d620 extensions kexts from page 51.

edit: I installed 10.6.3, rebooted, installed extensions, and rebooted again. on the first reboot qe/ci worked, but on the following reboots it does not.

gm950 card...

loudog3114

loudog3114

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Can anyone provide and complete step by step on how to go from the snow leopard install on post #2 to a fully functioning install with 10.6.3? And I mean sleep with gma950, and two finger scrolling in addition to everything that is working after installing 10.6 with the d620.iso.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
i have working DSDT GMA 950 VANILLA KEXTS yes thats right no framebuffer change , in fact i ran the combo updater 10.5.8 to verify
im using the boot.plist in the 2nd post gma intel zip but its broken. missing the < next to a / like this </ beta on 10.5.8 and im running as macbookpro5,1 and it loads good!.

KP IF NOT USING CHAMELEON RC3 ? RC4 and all others above give KP.

DSDT is based on the original 2nd post i reworked it a lil bit comparing to M1530 minus the Nvidia
sleep and lcd work but on wake it froze showing screen. after waking logs show
============
com.apple.SecurityServer[21]: /SourceCache/SmartcardCCID/SmartcardCCID-35204/ccid/ccid/src/commands.c:814:CmdPowerOff Card absent or mute
============
means the smartcard did not wake up... its on usb on one of the hubs at ending of usb.

i got sleep to work with blinking green light with _GTP as they found on the m1330/M1530 thread credits to them

same memory address (1030)

i havent finish tweaking it yet but its a start.. im kinda noob at dsdt but not super..
p.s. the video begining Device (AGP) section 1011... make the top be the lcd aka pnlf :) then the crt.. but it looks nasty.. i think if i inject "APPL dual-link" 4 it might enable past 1280x800 on both extension screen ? have to test more. but i have to fix windows pcs for a living.. (bblater)
Device (AGP)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)// DGTP Dual Link Injection needed or plist? it already has something for panel!
				Name (PIC1, Package (0x01)
				{
					Package (0x04)
					{
						0xFFFF, 
						Zero, 
						LNKA, 
						Zero
					}
				})
				Name (API1, Package (0x01)
				{
					Package (0x04)
					{
						0xFFFF, 
						Zero, 
						Zero, 
						0x10
					}
				})
				Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (API1, Local0)
					If (LNot (GPIC))
					{
						Store (PIC1, Local0)
					}

Return (Local0)
				}

Device (VID)
				{
					Name (_ADR, Zero)
					Method (_DOS, 1, NotSerialized)
					{
						Store (Arg0, MIS4)
						SMI (0x9E, MIS4)
					}

Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)
					{
						Return (Package (0x02)
						{
							0x00010400, 
							0x00010100
						})
					}

Device (CRT)
					{
						Method (_ADR, 0, NotSerialized)
						{
							Return (0x0100)
						}

Method (_DCS, 0, NotSerialized)
						{
							Store (SMI (0x8E, 0x02), Local0)
							Return (Local0)
						}

Method (_DGS, 0, NotSerialized)
						{
							Store (SMI (0x99, 0x02), Local0)
							Return (Local0)
						}

Method (_DSS, 1, NotSerialized)
						{
							DSS (0x02, Arg0)
						}
					}

Device (LCD)
					{
						{
							Return (0x0400)
						}

{
							Store (SMI (0x8E, One), Local0)
							Return (Local0)
						}

{
							Store (SMI (0x99, One), Local0)
							Return (Local0)
						}

{
							DSS (One, Arg0)
						}
					}
				}
			}

Device (VID)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)//OR inject here ? HERE? hmm
				{
					Store (Arg0, MIS4)
					SMI (0x9E, MIS4)
				}

{
					Return (Package (0x02)
					{
						0x00010400, // Notice 400 is top now
						0x00010100
					})
				}

Device (VGA)
				{
					{
						Return (0x0100)// this is 100 second place
					}

{
						Store (SMI (0x8E, 0x02), Local0)
						Return (Local0)
					}

{
						Store (SMI (0x99, 0x02), Local0)
						Return (Local0)
					}

{
						DSS (0x02, Arg0)
					}
				}

Device (LCD)
				{
					{
						Return (0x0400)// i got rid of the TV 200 and DVI aka dual link 300 good movie tho!
					}

{
						Store (SMI (0x8E, One), Local0)
						Return (Local0)
					}

{
						Store (SMI (0x99, One), Local0)
						Return (Local0)
					}

{
						DSS (One, Arg0)
					}
				}
			}

Device (VID2)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00020001)
				{
				}

{
					Return (Package (0x00) {})
				}
			}
This enabled CRT out and worked when i hot plugged it didnt test on boot yet. (no time her vga cable, i have dvi)
i did fn f8 cycle and it corrupted. so DONT DO F8 .
i installed only some select kexts from the cd pack and found others like audio for 10.5.8 : fakesmc, voodoohda version 2.61 by slice, voodotscsynch, AppleBCM5751Ethernet, voodops2, keyboard, controller (optional controller not needed?) in /Extra extensions.mkext with mkext maker tool in Extra on root folder not in EFI.. i was going nuts with EFI corrupting possibly due to TPM functions with efi?(research needed) or ide timing fix by the king needed in dsdt ? P.s. notice in 1530 dsdt there is ide1 and we dont have ide1 in D620.. i d630 dsdt yes ? so this tells me no ide timing fix needed cause function is combined in sata to port atapi on second prt aka port?.

anyways i got my 2 dimes in or cents. :rolleyes:

(working on wake smartcard bug and all cpu scope for pstates working with template from m1530 and i copied over with my SSDT data. works. but get LPC init err.
(i believe c-states is a myth in core duo for this D620)

heres the somewhat working DSDT the wakeup is not working due to smart card not waking. hope someone can find the fix.. im a lil bussy and overworked on this one. more edits coming to it. this is to run with no lag
1:hpet irq11 added 2:removed irqs in MBA1 (notice how m1330 doesnt have Device (MB1). AND uneded TrustPlatform and Ftrust, ECP, com1.. audio shows as azalia but i can edit to hdef in 2 spots easily.(i use vodoohda so i can remove it totaly i bellieve as i removed it and it slept and woke. but same issue with smartcard freezing pc. i didnt see a mouse pointer also.. i might have to get latest ps2 voodoo fixed one)
p.s for snow use smbios.plist dsdt.aml out of this Leopard pack 10.5.8
Ill be back soon
( D620not my pc... friends. but i will be working on cpu scope to get rid of voodoopowermini also adding sbus i hope for a few days.. ive had it 4 days+ already)

Attached Files

Hoss Dawg

Hoss Dawg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This is a great thread ;)
Just wanted to let you know leppy that I tried out the 630 update on my 830 and didn't have much luck. Once the desktop loads, it goes to sleep instantly and when I turn it back on, it goes right back to sleep? Maybe its the update 10.6.3? I'll play around with it tomorrow.

Anyone here have a D830 with sleep?
Attached File  IMG_0030.JPG   1.24MB   23 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy