NTFS in Snow Leopard?

61 posts in this topic

Yeah, am also very much interested to port the ntfs-rw.kext from 10a190 SL version.

I did try with the ntfs-rw.kext uploaded in this thread, (i have 10a432 SL) but when i rebooted, the NTFS drive was lost. So, i had to restore the originals from the SL DVD to get the NTFS drive into read only mode (atleast).

But I noticed something quite strange, when I had loaded the ntfs-rw.kext uploaded here

The NTFS drive wasnt listed in the Desktop. But, disk utility listed it as unmounted, but when i tried to mount the drive, it threw an error msg stating "/system/library/extension/ntfs.kext" is changed or corrupted n need to be re-installed. Then I chdk the "info" for the NTFS drive, which showed "Write Capable: Yes", which indicated some parts of the kext were working, but jus that it couldnt mount the drive, or could be real complications.

Yes, i understand, its clearly some dependency issues. But, if someone can drool into this, probably we can find a working solution, by porting the ntfs kext from 10a190 to 10a432.

If any of you could help me in this, please upload and PM me the link for the files specified below.

I want the files from the 10a190 ver of SL.

Navigate to: Contents of OSInstall.mpkg/Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware/Contents of EssentialSystemSoftwareGroup/Contents of BaseSystem.pkg
from this package select those files:

/System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext   (and/or) /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs-rw.kext

/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs
/sbin/mount_ntfs
/sbin/fstyp_ntfs

Any help in this regards will be great!!!!!

Hey ppl,

I am tryin to port the NTFS RW support from 10a190 build to 10a432 SL build

I downloaded the 10a190 SL build and did the following.. 

Used pacifist to open the OSInstall.mpkg from the SL image file

Then navigated to Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware/Contents of EssentialSystemSoftwareGroup/Contents of BaseSystem.pkg

installed the below files from the pkg onto the appropriate locations

/System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext

/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs

/sbin/mount_ntfs

/sbin/fstyp_ntfs

(Took a backup of the existing versions of the above mentioned files)

Then restarted the system. But then found that the NTFS drive wasnt mounted.

Then i opened the disk utility and tried to mount it manually. But it failed by poppin up the following message

The disk “disk0s4” could not be mounted.

Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting.

Then i ran the ntfs.util command and got the following error message

command: ./ntfs.util -m disk0s4 /Volumes removable writable suid dev

/System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
./ntfs.util: /sbin/kextload command failed: Too many levels of remote in path
/System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
/sbin/mount_ntfs: /sbin/kextload command failed: Too many levels of remote in path
mount_ntfs: Failed to load NTFS file system kext.
./ntfs.util: /sbin/mount command failed: Too many levels of remote in path

Strangely enough, when i chk the info from the disk utility it says: 

File System : 	Windows NT File System (NTFS)
 Connection Bus : 	SATA
 Device Tree : 	IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/SATA@B/PRT0@0/PMP@0
 [b]Writable : 	Yes[/b]

Just that, it is unable to mount the drive. 

It will be great if anyone can research on this, so that RW support for NTFS drives can be ported to 10a432 build.

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

There is a much much simpler solution that works with the default ntfs kext included in SL.

Just create in /etc a fstab file in wich add the folowing :

LABEL="your ntfs drive name" none ntfs rw

Reboot and you'll have RW acces over that drive.

More NTFS drives ... more labels...

A Gigazillion thanks to Vlad..

Though I was trying since last 2 days.

Then it occurred to me that as from Linux fstab file is completely blank

The fstab.hd in Volumes/[snow Leopard Install Volume]/etc/

has some text as a note from Apple about discontinuing this text file altogether in the future.

So you only need to delete this text and write Vlad's entries for all the Volumes you wish to have read-write support for.

Secondly, Start Disk Utility and unmount the NTFS volumes you want read / write access for, then make the changes as follows in terminal after entering you password:

[note: the numbers are just bullet points for reference; type the text in Terminal.app without the x] as shown

under:

sudo -s

1] cd /

2] cd /etc

3] cp -f fstab.h ~/desktop/

4] mv -f fstab.hd fstab.hd.original

Do not close Terminal.app yet!

then there will a fstab.hd on your desktop

open in Textedit.app and make the necessary changes.

save & quite Textedit.app

then switch back to Terminal.app and continue with these commands:

5] cp~/desktop fstab.hd /Volumes/[snow Leopard Install Volume]/etc/

replace /[snow Leopard Install Volume] with the name of your snow partitio ... Snow, Snow Leo, SnowLeo... etc

then

6] mv -f fstab.hd fstab

Quit Terminal.app and reboot if you wish.

Open Disk Utility.app and mount all NTFS partitions again and you should have read write acccess

Simple and quick!

Vlad thanks a million again.. though you have been researching this since long.

And the best thing is as the previous member said, we don't need the older ntfs_rw.kext from 10a190

also the newer ntfs.kext in the retail 10A432 with this modification provides a blazing fast performance!!!

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

Well, went through all the steps and my NTFS drive still seems to be only in Read mode. Tried doing both using the Label= and the UUID= .... is anyone else using the new Chameleon RC3 boot loader? I'm wondering if this could be playing a part in the problem.

I have Chameleon RC3 and I have no problems at all. Maybe if you'll post your kernel log...

@Freaky Chokra Sure man np :). You should be advised though that if your ntfs volume is dirty (and so mounted by OSX in the ro mode) it's most likely that your sistem will get a KP. Hope it's not the case but if it happens you should run at once windows chkdsk to correct the ntfs dirty bit.

Anyway for safety reasons I mount my ntfs volume only when needed. I mean Apple surely has a good (tehnical) reason for the default read only mounting of ntfs volumes.

NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 111): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): $LogFile is not clean. Mounting read-only. Mount in Windows.

Thanks for the tip... going to go do get it connected to a windows system and try this again.

Fixed. The last time the drive was plugged into a Win7 system, it wasn't ejected.

There is a much much simpler solution that works with the default ntfs kext included in SL.

Works great. :P

I only wanted RW access so I could change the icon on that partition. :D I don't use Windows that much.

Is it possible to make the driver work how Macfuse does where you can RW NTFS on external drives?

Is it possible to make the driver work how Macfuse does where you can RW NTFS on external drives?

Works perfect with external drives too, Im using right now with my WD USB drive.

If is not working for you try boot Windows with the external drive attached, wait everything load correctly and the shutdown and try again on MacOS.

If Windows not shutdown correctly the NTFS partitions MacOS will not mount it.

ps. sorry about the bad english

Works perfect with external drives too, Im using right now with my WD USB drive.

If is not working for you try boot Windows with the external drive attached, wait everything load correctly and the shutdown and try again on MacOS.

If Windows not shutdown correctly the NTFS partitions MacOS will not mount it.

ps. sorry about the bad english

Thanks that worked!

Hy all,

I'm having serious problems with my ntfs partition mount under snow leo. I tried macfuse/ntfs3g, I have paragon ntfs 7, neither worked. I don't really care for native rw support, because I have paragon 3rd party software (still beta though...).

The problem is as follows.

I have several hdds in my computer, including a fully working 10.5.8 (ntfs read works natively, write with paragon 6), a windows XP, and Snow Leo 10.6.1. In SL the Windows volume can't automount, Disk Utility says it cannot be mounted and "Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting.".

Fstab method doesn't work. Windows ntfs bit isn't dirty. I can force the ntfs partition to mount with terminal commands (make directory in /Volumes and the mount the appropriate disk), but it is not a long term solution.

Do you have an idea?

If you are running 64bit Snow Leopard, you can now use MacFUSE compiled for 64bit. See this link for details.

MacFUSE used in combination with ntfs-3g will provide read/write access to your ntfs partition.

You're the MAN!!!

Thank YOU!!!!

Now I can boot on 64 bits on my HACKintosh with full support for NTFS!!!!

Again, Thank YOU!!!

post-377175-1253752097_thumb.png

Cheers!!

Check out this post: http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/how-to-enable-...r-snow-leopard/

I can confirm that this works. I also tried it in forced 64-bit mode (http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/10/force-snow-leopard-to-use-64-bit-kernel/ ) and NTFS3G or Paragon NTFS did not work. This works perfect!

EDIT: i used the UUID method which i just selected in terminal and copy pasted it, and used the fstab file.