New solution to enable udma on sis chipset working 100%

djdan2006

116 posts in this topic

The controller id should be 0x55131039. And I did not have to delete APPLEGENERICPCATA.kext.

Eclau, what was your SiS chiptset? 648??? It's strange that you used 0x 5513 1039 instead of 0x 1039 5513... I cannot try it out now, as the system cannot boot after mac drive broke the boot loader!

Eclau, what was your SiS chiptset? 648??? It's strange that you used 0x 5513 1039 instead of 0x 1039 5513... I cannot try it out now, as the system cannot boot after mac drive broke the boot loader!

lanbo, mine is SiS 661. Now OS X 10.4.6 boots up in less than 30 seconds!!!

EDIT: I actually HAD to delete APPLEGENERICPCATA.kext so that it will not reload instead of APPLEVIAATA.kext upon reboot.

This is what I have done:

1. Edit /System/Library/Extensions/APPLEVIAATA.kext

Right click -> Contents -> info.plist

Add id in "VIA SATA Controller"

id = 0x55131039

I did not delete all the other available id's, just added in my id as the first one.

2. In Terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/APPLEVIAATA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/APPLEVIAATA.kext

3. Delete /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFAMILY.kext/Contents/Plugins/APPLEGENERICPCATA.kext

4. In Terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFAMILY.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFAMILY.kext

This step is necessary, otherwise, APPLEGENERICPCATA.kext will be loaded upon SECOND reboot!

5. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache & Extensions.mkext

6. Reboot

One more tip: use Acronis Trueimage (Windows version) to backup you osx86 partition. Handy for a quick restore in case of trouble.

It works but only in safe mode, in normal mode I get this error:

AppleACPIPCI: bogus pci bridge config, bus id 1 is being used twice, hdr type = 0x1 extension "com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily" cannot be found

Still waiting for root device...

What should I do???

Edit: All is ok, I didn't delete Extentions.kextcache and Extension.mkext after chmodding IOATAFamily.kext... nice work!!!

Edit2: Not so fast, but better than nothing, at least CPU isn't as stressed as it was before patching...

Excuse me, but i'd like to know....

There is at this time a solution to get an HD working at acceptable speed with SIS648 chipsets?

It seems that this tricks are working only with SiS661...

I'm quite troubled... :)

This solution works for me too, now I have Udma!! :D

I changed the ID to 0x55131039 in the S-ATA section and I have UDMA on Pata!

My notebook is an Asus A2500H with chipset sis 952 and 5513 regarding IDE, M650 for video..

Thanks

Hello all,

Well thanks to you all for the great help you have provided here.

I can confirm that with SIS 651 and SIS 962L I have been able to get better performance out of the PATA drive using the methods mentioned here. :D And yes I have had to not remove but rename the AppleGenericATA driver in order to get the VIA one working. Otherwise both load up but the Generic one takes precedence.

However I have one problem. The system recognises my Pioneer DVD-ROM 105S drive (now listed under SATA in the System Profiler along with my HDD) but doesn't do anything when I insert a DVD or a CD.

Can anyone help in this regard.

Cheers

GingerNinja

I have SiS661FX/SiS964. How did you get OS X installed in the first place? I can't get the installer to recognize my SATA drive to select as a target. I have the latest 10.4.6 JaS DVD with the Maxxuss_Patch_Solution_v1.0 folder. Is there a particular patch I need to apply to get the installer to see teh SATA drive?

OK, i've re-install again and followed the instructions and now i'm getting some messsages when booting in -v mode:

AppleVIAATADriver: VIA Unknown (CMD 0x1F0, CTR 0x3F4, IRQ 14 BM 0x4000)

AppleVIAATADriver: VIA Unknown (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15 BM 0x4008)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Had exactly the same encounter.

However, I have solved the problem & I have UDMA now!

The controller id should be 0x55131039. And I did not have to delete APPLEGENERICPCATA.kext.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, djdan2006. Now copying files are much much faster! :D

Well, thank both of you - djdan and eclau. I just used eclau's instructions (with id 0x55131039) and it worked flawlessly. UDMA is on, and disk utility list my drives as SATA. I'm amazed how fast it boots now. A lot of minor annoyances I was having, i.e. iTunes skipping a lot while playing mp3s stored in a FAT32 partition on the other drive, are all gone.

The impact in overall performance is very noticeable.

Thanks again, guys.

Excuse me for my english but i'm italian. I have hard disk a ATA Maxtor connected with IDE/ATA. I have installed the macosx through vmware using a physical disc to the boot in native I obtain the error “Still Waiting for root device” my Mobo is ASUS P4S8X with Chipset SiS 648 and southbridge 963. My id is 55131039 is possible to make it to work with hard disk ATA?

Worked for me.

The boot is much faster below 20 sec.

Thanks!!!!!!!! :D

Excuse me for my english but i'm italian. I have hard disk a ATA Maxtor connected with IDE/ATA. I have installed the macosx through vmware using a physical disc to the boot in native I obtain the error “Still Waiting for root device” my Mobo is ASUS P4S8X with Chipset SiS 648 and southbridge 963. My id is 55131039 is possible to make it to work with hard disk ATA?

I managed to boot with ATA HD. when i installed in VMware and changed it to natvie it did'nt work well and i got the error. When i installed it native it worked well with my ATA HD.

I have a problem with a mobo! In native don't work...In vmware work but after reboot in native i obtein the error Still waitng bla bla bla!!!!

Hi all,

I´ve followed the eclau directions to the letter and... It works!!!!!!!

MB Asrock 939S56-M with SiS756/965L chipset (IDE id. 5513) / JaS 10.4.6

My old 10GB Maxtor drive runs now at near 20MB/s... not bad at all!

But this is not all. My second IDE channel -and drives- are now recognised!!!! What a great unexpected bonus!

Many many thanks to all, and specially to djdan and eclau :P I´m glad to write a positive first post ;)

Best regards from Spain,

Enrique.

PS. Excuse my English.

Maybe I am missing something.. but these instructions have left out a crucial step.

How do I get the ID number!!!!????

I have SIS 651 and 962L like Ginger Ninja but I don't know the ID number.

Where can I find this???

Edit: I finally got this to work. My Disk score went from 5 to 30!!! Everything is faster now.. this is great!!

I have a SIS 651m/962L chipset and I used 0x55131039 in the SATA section of the kext.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using ASUS P4S800-MX (SiS 661FX), I'm not even using a sATA harddrive my mobo wont even recognize an ATA harddrive. I get this waiting for root device error.

A few other people has reported the same problem

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=sis+chipset

10.4.6 Jas and 10.4.7 Jas worked fine on VMware, however they wont boot natively.

• 2 weeks later...

Please get a full working list of sis pata and sata controllers (device id and vender id) with this fix and list them here for inclusion in my next release.

I think a lot of users could benefit from this.

Mobo Asus P4S8X ID SiS648FX don't work 0x55131039 MaxtorHD 80GB 5400RPM ATA

Asus Notebook A2C SiS648FX work fine 0x55131039 Toshiba 40GB 4200RPM ATA

Ps. Jas you are a hero!!!