[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Hey Warped,

thanks for the info. I’ve checked your Extra folder and there is a lot of stuff you really don’t need. ;) First of all you don’t need a patched Bios. You can use the latest Gigabyte F4 Bios and restore Olegischinski’sChameleon RC5 for example. It contains everything you need. If you want to, you can also replace the DSDT with the latest one I’ve attached. LAN will work with nForce Kext, but you won’t have Audio.

hi Warped,

if it works for you everything is O.K. but in addition to e60 let me give some comments to your installation.

You should say something about your bootloader. In my opinion there is no need to flash the BIOS with this old one patched by Koala. This BIOS gave us full Graphic support in the past. Now we have Asere‘s patched Chameleon or the new RC5 Chameleon. With the key GraphicsEnabler=Yes they do a good job - BIOS flashing is not required.

At least: e60 made a new DSDT with a Graphic Section enabling dualhead and HDMI with QE/CI.

Let‘s have a look into your Extra folder:

- I‘m using these monitoring kexts too. But you should delete all plugins in SuperIOFamily.kext except IT87x.kext. They are useless for our board and only gives error messages.

- 
You need only one of the Intel*.kexts (IntelCPUMonitor reports more values)

- LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext - The oranges icons for internal SATA HDDs - this is fixed via DSDT

- 
LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext - They are for Intel southbrigde. Our board has a Nvidia chipset. Why do you use these kexts?

- SleepEnabler.kext - This kext is kernel specific and will cause a KP after the next major update from Apple. As far as my experience goes it has no influence for propper sleep on our board.

I was a little surprised about the nForceLAN (Version 0.64.5). I‘ve tested several versions in the past but always lost connection after a few minutes. This kext seems to work but now it brokes ACPI shutdown (have to switch off machine after shutdown) and sleep (machine don‘t wake up)

So far.

Hey Warped,

First of all you don’t need a patched Bios. You can use the latest Gigabyte F4 Bios and restore Olegischinski’sChameleon RC5 for example.

Thx for replay !

Well - I was fighting 1 month with F4 and LAN after resume (using apple LAN driver) - no go. Alwas after resume there is "no cable connected". Changing LAN kect to nForce.kext gives me working LAN after resume - but sometimes after resume SATA is dead :-(

Reflashing BIOS to moded one solves issue of SATA.

If you want to, you can also replace the DSDT with the latest one I’ve attached. LAN will work with nForce Kext, but you won’t have Audio.

Well - I'm already using Your nice DSDT.aml. I'm using Chameleon RC5 r700. With this bootloader and Your DSDT + Apple LAN driver I have dead LAN+sound after resume. Quick solution for LAN was change LAN driver to nForceLAN.kext. Dead sound after resume however is still unresolved.

Sure - this is dirty solution as proper one should be done with help of DSDT.aml. I'm pretty sure, dead LAN/Sound after resume is result of missing things in DSDT.aml....

br

You should say something about your bootloader.

I'm on Chameleon RC5 r700

In my opinion there is no need to flash the BIOS with this old one patched by Koala. This BIOS gave us full Graphic support in the past. Now we have Asere‘s patched Chameleon or the new RC5 Chameleon. With the key GraphicsEnabler=Yes they do a good job - BIOS flashing is not required.

Pls see my last comments to e60 post. It explains why I have to go with patched BIOS.

BTW: Maybe I miss something but before my fight with this mobo I scanned this whole thread as had impression that nobady wasn't able to get this mobo FULLY working (particularly sound/lan after resume). Even e60 with it's nice DSDT.aml has still issue of dead LAN/Sound after resume. That's why I started my own research and went to solution described in my firs post...

At least: e60 made a new DSDT with a Graphic Section enabling dualhead and HDMI with QE/CI.

I'm already using it. Nice work BTW.

In fact I'm pretty sure LAN/Sond dead after resume issue might be resolved by further mods in DSDT.aml. Unfortunately I'm so busy in other projects+ professional live so I don't have time to look on this closer:-(

Let‘s have a look into your Extra folder:

- I‘m using these monitoring kexts too. But you should delete all plugins in SuperIOFamily.kext except IT87x.kext. They are useless for our board and only gives error messages.

- 
You need only one of the Intel*.kexts (IntelCPUMonitor reports more values)

- LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext - The oranges icons for internal SATA HDDs - this is fixed via DSDT

- 
LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext - They are for Intel southbrigde. Our board has a Nvidia chipset. Why do you use these kexts?

- SleepEnabler.kext - This kext is kernel specific and will cause a KP after the next major update from Apple. As far as my experience goes it has no influence for propper sleep on our board.

You are perfectly right. This little "mess" is result of my install strategy: I have working since 4 years and highly customized install on other machine - so for reuse my customizations is simply clone it to this mobo. Delta is only:

-DSDT.aml

-LAN driver

I was a little surprised about the nForceLAN (Version 0.64.5). I‘ve tested several versions in the past but always lost connection after a few minutes. This kext seems to work but now it brokes ACPI shutdown (have to switch off machine after shutdown) and sleep (machine don‘t wake up).

So far I don't have issues with shutdown/resume (but I'm on patched bios). Indeed with F4 bios and this driver I have issue with randomly dead SATA after resume. Regarding lost connection issue - I not seen this Yet- but I will look closer on this....

br

Hi Warped,

I'm pretty sure, dead LAN/Sound after resume is result of missing things in DSDT.aml....

to be honest, this is also my guess but unfortunately I'm not sure how to fix ist. Olegischinski and I are trying to find a solution, but it seems to be not really easy. So every suggestions are welcome! :)

Well - I'm already using Your nice DSDT.aml

Thank you for the flowers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey olegischinski, e60. Thanks for the Chameleon, DSDT, etc. So far, so good. Using your steps, I installed a new OS X installation alongside my old one after flashing the BIOS to F4 and using an RC5 thumb drive.

I have a question, however. How do I install RC5 to the hard disk so I can remove this thumb drive?

-kat

I have a question, however. How do I install RC5 to the hard disk so I can remove this thumb drive?

-kat

Hi kat,

you can check Olegischinski's post over here. It provides all instructions to install Chameleon on your main HDD. :(

Thanks, e60. I did the steps detailed on that page, but it seems I would still need to do the fdisk/dd/cp steps (with the boot* files) to get Chameleon on the disk. Do you have any advice on that? Oleg's ChameleonBoot image doesn't have those files on it, and I'm not sure which Chameleon files to use out in the wild...

Again, thanks.

-k

Thanks, Rebound, for your offline help on this. I'd already tried the steps you gave me, but trying them again from your notes told me I'd have to try something else. The problem was with Chameleon wanting to boot my original installation no matter what I tried (the installation created using dlach's guide). I ended up having to CCC my new installation from hd(0,3) to where the dlach install was previously - on hd(0,2) - and update the Default Partition in /Extra/com.Apple.boot.plist.

Now that I'm booting in 32-bit mode (still seemingly needed for NTFS-3G), all I need to do is figure out why there's a slight pop before any audio. At this point, I'm running the setup specified by e60, above, including the DSDT.aml for 256MB video.

Anyone know how to get rid of this small pop?

Thanks, e60. I did the steps detailed on that page, but it seems I would still need to do the fdisk/dd/cp steps (with the boot* files) to get Chameleon on the disk. Do you have any advice on that? Oleg's ChameleonBoot image doesn't have those files on it, and I'm not sure which Chameleon files to use out in the wild...

Hey rblissitt. Please excuse the delay! If you check Oleg's post once again, you will see that he attached a chameleonRC5_rev631.zip. It contains all files you need.

all I need to do is figure out why there's a slight pop before any audio. At this point, I'm running the setup specified by e60, above, including the DSDT.aml for 256MB video.

Anyone know how to get rid of this small pop?

This "pop" seems to be Board specific. If I boot into Windows there is also a "pop" before Audio. Very strange.

Oleg, your method worked beautifully for me! Everything went perfectly smoothly. I now have a very clean and complete Snow Leopard installation, and I updated everything to the latest version without difficulty. I still can't put the machine to sleep because of Ethernet and Sound, but maybe we'll figure that out some day. For wireless, I bought an Apple Airport Express, and of course it's flawless.

I ran the XBench 2.0 benchmark software on this motherboard. I noticed that with this and with my previous Leopard installation, the benchmarks are excellent except for the uncached SATA tests, which come out very poorly. Has anyone else here benchmarked this motherboard with Mac OS? Is XBench the way to go, or is there a better method?

Thanks everyone!

RAM QUESTION: I have the F3A BIOS, not F4. I am using 2 GB of RAM. Is it correct that I need to install the F4 BIOS (unmodified, from the Gigabyte website) to use over 2 GB of RAM? And that I'll need to plug in a floppy drive to do that? Thanks.

e60, thanks for your response. I'm up and running now, and booting from my hard drive (vs. a USB stick). I don't get that pop sound right before a song or other audio in Windows, but I guess I've gotten used to it in this new Hackintosh installation, so no worries here. Note: I didn't get it when I used the install in the very first post in this thread either, but that was using different versions of kext(s)/BIOS/Chameleon.

Rebound, you should be able to copy the BIOS to a USB flash drive and update the BIOS by pressing a Function key at the motherboard's boot-up (POST) screen. I can't remember if it's F2, F3, or a different Function key... If you're running Windows on your system (dual-booting), you can just update the BIOS to F4 by downloading and running @BIOS from Gigabyte. That's how I did it.

-kat

Hi e60,

Thank you for your DSDT.aml.

I have tried to use it on GA-E7AUM-DS2H(BIOS F4,4MB memory) + GeForce GT430.

NVIDIA injection is perfect with adding GPX0 into XVR0 and HDEF injection is working.

But I can not make my box to sleep, restart and shutdown.

BIOS setting is the same as your post in this thread.

Install 10.6.0 , update to 10.6.6

Install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.2.0 with DSDT.aml( your 256-DSDT.aml with NVIDIA insection) , PCI Root ID Fix.

Install NVIDIA driver.

I read DSDT.dsl but can not find the reason.

Do you have any trouble with sleep, restart and shutdown?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi blueknight,

I have tried to get restart working by editing DSDT, but unfortunately I was not able to. So if you want to restart your Hack, you have to use OpenHaltRestart.kext. This should work flawlessly.

By the way, I'm thinking about giving up the whole DSDT editing stuff. There are a lot of informations for Intel based Chipsets on the web, but it is extremely hard for me to find any infos for our NVIDIA Chipset. I'm not a programmer so sometime it's even twice as hard for me. :D It's really frustrating when you're checking and editing the code again and again and again, but you can't see any successes. Asere can't help me with editing, he is not active on the scene at this time. I've also asked Catri if he could take a look on our whole work, but Catri is only specialized on Intel based Boards. Maybe I need some distance once again to see things clearer, but at this time I don't see myself capable enough to solve any further stuff like restart or Audio and Lan. So if there is anyone out there who has any ideas on how to help us to get everything working, I would be very grateful.

Anyway, I've managed to get a full ACPI dump from the rarely NVIDIA iMac which uses the same hardware as we do and I extracted and edited the PinConfig and Mixer stuff that is needed for our Audiocodec. Because I'm not very familiar with kext editing, I'm unfortunately not able to build up a Legacy.kext which totally matches our hardware. I guess this could prevent the "plop" before Audio is being activated. Well, if anyone of you would be interested in this stuff, I could upload these files here. One more side note. Oleg found out that if you're using VoodooHDA and nForceLAN, Sound and Lan are active after waking up from sleep.

PS.: Has anyone tested the new DUET based EFI Bootloader made by OS_Ninja? It really seams to be very promising, but I'm not able to get it to work. :D

Hi e60,

Thank you for your post.

I am not a programmer, too and truely have little information of NVIDIA chipset.

But there are some other MBs using NVIDIA chipset (Zotac GF9300, AOpen nMCP7AU)

In this forum, Zotac thread (163938) seems to be active.

I am now learning SpeedStep and SSDT.

I hope we can make our hackintoshes to sleep/restart/shutdown without kexts in someday.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried VoodooHDA and got a continual, low-volume buzz/hiss in the background. That was worse than any brief popping sound every few minutes. I had to restore LegacyHDA.kext and AppleHDA.kext, and i'm not sure I got everything back, but audio works.

Well, it's finally happened. After four or five years of hackintoshing, I'm tired of experimenting. I'm not messing with my setup anymore. It's mostly working, and I'm tired of this :unsure:.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that you all can solve your resume issues with audio and LAN by laying about $30-40 more for usb audio and a pci-e ethernet card as I detailed a few other times in this thread. I use this board as an HTPC and it works flawlessly sleeping and resuming. Even after I got it working I wound up not using the wired LAN and got a PCI-E to mini PCI-e adapter on ebay then got a dell mini-PCI wireless n card (again on ebay). This is recognized as an airport and works perfectly.

Thank to Oleg and e60 for taking over this thread and helping folks out. I've wound up working on other board once I moved this to my HTPC. Am currently looking at a mini-itx h67 build. Tonymac is a great second resource for this stuff.

• 1 month later...

10.6.8 is out!

You can install it via SU but will lose Audio afterwards.

So you have to patch AppleHDA. Download the new package from here. It contains a README. Follow the instructions. (You also can place the ALC885_889a.kext in /E/E.)

BTW: Patched AppleHDA will work with the old LegacyHDA.kext too (without the new ALC885_889a.kext).

Don't forget to delete your cache

sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Good luck!

P.S.: No spinning wheel at startup. :P

Hi everyone,

I just added a discrete video card (GT 430 for $20 after rebate per SlickDeals). Of course, this goofed up the video and it only displayed in 1024x768 afterwards. Can anyone say what I should replace in my existing installation (done following all the instructions in this thread, but with e60's mods so I could use a stock F4 BIOS) to get video working properly? Would it be replacing the boot file or the DSDT file, perhaps? Or perhaps I can do the installation from scratch using a generic Gigabyte Hackintosh install now that I don't use the 9400 IGP (or maybe that's not possible because the 9400 *is* the chipset)?

Konfused,

-Kat

10.6.8 is out!

You can install it via SU but will lose Audio afterwards.

So you have to patch AppleHDA. Download the new package from here. It contains a README. Follow the instructions. (You also can place the ALC885_889a.kext in /E/E.)

BTW: Patched AppleHDA will work with the old LegacyHDA.kext too (without the new ALC885_889a.kext).

Don't forget to delete your cache

sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Some how this will not fix it...

I did not patch the AppleHDA.kext my md5 sum of AppleHDA/Contents/Info.plist is:

$ md5 Info.plist

MD5 (Info.plist) = ad855ff8ac7affcec70f768ff89b2216

Can anyone verify if this is the vanilla version.

Any Clues?

gah. somehow I messed up installing the patched kext for sound. I get this message:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext" was installed mproperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update.

So obviously I did something wrong. Could I impose upon one of the very knowledgeable posters here to walk me through how to reinstall this?

gah. somehow I messed up installing the patched kext for sound. I get this message:

So obviously I did something wrong. Could I impose upon one of the very knowledgeable posters here to walk me through how to reinstall this?

Would be good to know what exactly you have done.

Would be good to know what exactly you have done.

Well.... it looks like I did two stupid things.

First, I took the ALC885_889a.kext in my System/Library/Extensions directory, right clicked on it to "view contents" and replaced the "offending" components (the kext and the xml files) in finder rather than using the terminal method in the readme. I know I know, RTFM. Duh.

Then right as I was making the recent post this morning, I thought "hey, I have a mirror working install on another drive, so why don't I log in on that install and just copy over the AppleHDA.kext and the ALC885_889a.kext from there while I'm logged into that install?" Well, now duh, that was a bad idea and it now says that several other kexts aren't working when I clear the kext caches (sorry don't know exactly which ones at this point as I'm not in front of the computer).

Kicking my self for being a big dummy here. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be generous enough to bestow upon me, oleg. worst case is I need to start over with a clean install. Which isn't THAT big of a deal, but it is a pain in the butt as I'm out of practice given that the existing install has been rock solid for going on a year.