[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

Hi Durden tiler,

for sound you have to patch AppleHDA. Go here.

But you won't have sound via HDMI with AppleHDA. You can try out voodooHDA instead.

The patched Chameleon you have to install manually via terminal.app. On the developer's side is a short documentation how to do that.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...e/Installation/

Good luck!

Hi Durden tiler,

for sound you have to patch AppleHDA. Go here.

But you won't have sound via HDMI with AppleHDA. You can try out voodooHDA instead.

The patched Chameleon you have to install manually via terminal.app. On the developer's side is a short documentation how to do that.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...e/Installation/

Good luck!

Hello Oleg,

Thank you for your quick reply. Right now i am backing up my system drive so i can give it a try with the installation of the Cameleon boot loader.

I suppose i have to exactly type in those commands and replace disk0s2 with my system disk.

"Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

Install boot0 to the MBR: sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector: sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

Install boot to the partition's root directory: sudo cp boot /"

Does the chameleon folder have to be on desktop or do i type in the path of boot0 in the command line?

I'm sorry but i am a complete newcomer to the Mac World.

Further, can you give me a detailed description of how to get the hdmi sound working? how do i get voodoohda or applehda working for my hdmi?

Hello,

I JUST installed the chameleon boot loader as i described one post earlier. i replaced the paths with the correct ones and installed on disk1s2 which shows up as my boot drive.

After restart, i get to a chameleon boot prompt and above that it shows the correct drive disk0:2 MacintoshHD

During the boot process, the system hangs at the white boot screen with the apple logo on it. I can see on my Disk status led that the disk is no longer being accessed.

Reboot by inserting both the chameleon usbstick AND the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] stick boots up my system (although i get the impression that it takes a bit longer)

what am i doing wrong?

How do i add the extras folder with all the configuration files (when using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] in another install, it created this folder with several files in it.)

Sorry for the stupid questions, but i am completely new to the platform and i yet have to completely understand the detailed post install process.

Thanks in advance for the help, without forums like these, hackintosh wouldn't be possible...

Reedit: I just verified my System Drive, it is GUID Partition scheme. Does it have to be MBR for this to work?

I JUST installed the chameleon boot loader as i described one post earlier. i replaced the paths with the correct ones and installed on disk1s2 which shows up as my boot drive.

Do you have a second HDD in your setup?

Just to make it clear, if there is only one HDD in your machine (your Lion installation) you were wrong.

In this case the target disk is /dev/disk0

Reboot by inserting both the chameleon usbstick AND the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] stick boots up my system (although i get the impression that it takes a bit longer)

... a little bit strange, but the main point is that you can boot up your installation. Did you create my ChameleonBoot Stick like described here?

Reedit: I just verified my System Drive, it is GUID Partition scheme. Does it have to be MBR for this to work?

No, MBR is possible, but GUID is first choice.

Do you have a second HDD in your setup?

Just to make it clear, if there is only one HDD in your machine (your Lion installation) you were wrong.

In this case the target disk is /dev/disk0

... a little bit strange, but the main point is that you can boot up your installation. Did you create my ChameleonBoot Stick like described here?

No, MBR is possible, but GUID is first choice.

Hi there again,

I just restored my System to a newly inserted disk and i formatted that with mbr...

After applying the instructions from the chameleon installer link you sent me, now it works fine....

Maybe i have to use a different command for installing the chameleon boot loader to guid ???

It works now, but for the sake of understanding, maybe there is a different install command for guid?

BTW: I have a total of 4 Hard disks in my system which were set as mirrored raid arrays etc...thats why my boot disk was not disk0...

Maybe i have to use a different command for installing the chameleon boot loader to guid ???

It works now, but for the sake of understanding, maybe there is a different install command for guid?

BTW: I have a total of 4 Hard disks in my system which were set as mirrored raid arrays etc...thats why my boot disk was not disk0...

Sorry, didn't assume that you have a RAID setup. In this case the Chameleon installation is a litte bit different.

Have a look at here

Perhaps it is a good idea to return to GUID.

Good luck!

Good Morning,

I got the boot loader working now, i can boot up my system drive (guid) now. just restored and then followed the installation instructions.

i am running a boot.plist which contains the following commands:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>UseMemDetect</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

i am not sure if chameleon picks up the dsdt placed in the extra folder...Should i add these?

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string> my system drive is now on disk0

<key>UseMemDetect</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>0</string>

If so, what is the exact procedure? Just edit and save in Textedit? do i have to run kextutility after?

The Current status of my system is:

SOUND (HDMI-OUT) --- NOT WORKING (unfortunately i have to use the hdmi out because of the amplifier...)

NETWORK --- WORKING though after Sleep it is not working anymore...is there a fix?

GRAPHICS --- WORKING can i enable 512 MB somehow?

CD DRIVE (IDE) --- NOT WORKING How can i get the Cd drive to work? it is on my IDE Controller,HDDs are running AHCI

Congratulations!

i am not sure if chameleon picks up the dsdt placed in the extra folder...Should i add these?
Chameleon loads a DSDT itself, if there is any in /Extra

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string> my system drive is now on disk0

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>0</string>

You can add these keys/values (the others are always in your plist).

If you are using a DSDT with Graphic injection (like the one by e60 or mine), you should set GraphicsEnabler to "No"

If so, what is the exact procedure? Just edit and save in Textedit? do i have to run kextutility after?
With Textedit as normal user you won't have write access.

I prefer terminal.app

sudo nano -w /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Make your edits. Write out with CTRL+o. Quit with CTRL+x.

SOUND (HDMI-OUT) --- NOT WORKING (unfortunately i have to use the hdmi out because of the amplifier...)
So check out voodooHDA. There are two sticky threads in the sound section of this forum.
NETWORK --- WORKING though after Sleep it is not working anymore...is there a fix?
There is no solution with onboard chip.
GRAPHICS --- WORKING can i enable 512 MB somehow?
Yes, via DSDT edit.
CD DRIVE (IDE) --- NOT WORKING How can i get the Cd drive to work? it is on my IDE Controller,HDDs are running AHCI
My Boot stick contains a JmicronATA.kext in Extra/Extensions. This will help.

Goog luck!

Hey Oleg,

Thank you for your patience...i am starting to get used to OS X :(

Currrent Status;

I have the Jmicron Ata in my extras/extensions folder. The CD Rom dive still doesn't show up though. Do i have to use some kind of enabler to use the drive?

I have only the CD drive in IDE Bus, all the HDD are on AHCI Sata BUS.

Regarding Sound, i will start reading the link you sent me these days. BTW is there an easy way to at least use the Analog outputs and inputs of the board? See, i use the Station as a HTPC/Server and i really have to get the sound working on it...Sleep issues actually don't bother me at all since i have disabled all sleep functions from the system menu...

Would it make any sense to go raise the graphics memory to 512MB ? I do not play games on the machine, so i am wondering whether raising the memory would improve Mac OS X GUI Effects and HD playback performance...I mean, would it make sense to go through the pain of editing my dsdt?

Hey Oleg,

Thank you for your patience...i am starting to get used to OS X :)

No worries!
I have the Jmicron Ata in my extras/extensions folder. The CD Rom dive still doesn't show up though. ...
Set right ownership and permissions, cleared caches?

I would say, it's one of the essential things on a hackintosh to learn how to handle additional kexts.

Regarding Sound ... is there an easy way to at least use the Analog outputs and inputs of the board? ...
What's an easy way? Depends on you ;)

And yes, analog I/O will work, that's what these patches and kexts made for. :)

Would it make any sense to go raise the graphics memory to 512MB ? ...
IMHO 256 MB shared memory are enough.

Good luck!

Hello,

I had to reinstall my system again due to a lion server not working properly. After a clean reinstall it works now...

I still havent figured out the beforementioned problems though...

Ata is enabled in bios, the cd rom drive is connected but it wont show up in my profiler...How can i figure out what is happening?

Hdmi audio is still not working...i installed the voodohda with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installer, fixed permissions afterwards, but when i select hdmi output nothing comes out...

I found this link here, does this apply to our board too or is it only for the newer video chips?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31947

hi,

it's a little bit difficult to help you with the given informations.

Did you install Lion "Server" (or the Desktop OS)?

What installation method? What exactly were the steps? Which additional kexts are installed and where? Do you use a DSDT?

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] are really great tools (and you can use them to install Lion successfully on this board), but you have to know, how to use them right.

I think, if you would follow my installation method, you could spent a lot of time. Give it a try. (Assume you restored the image of the Boot Stick via DiskUtility.app and not using dd command in Terminal.app) May be it's a good idea to start with only one HDD plugged in. And if it works you can move the Chameleon Boot Stick to your HDD. How to is described here

As said above: sound over HDMI with AppleHDA will not work.

I have no experiences with VoodooHDA. AFAIK you have to edit the Info.plist into the kext and delete (resp. backup) AppleHDA. There are guides how to do it and threads to ask in this forum.

Good luck!

Hey guys, here comes a little DSDT update. The new DSDT contains less code, because I’ve removed some needless / unnecessary entries.

There are now two versions of the DSDT. The first one has HDEF layout id 12, so you don’t have to patch your AppleHDA.kext. The downside is, that you will have to use the black connection jack for your analog audio, and you won’t be able to use any digital output. The second one has HDEF layout id 885 and needs tmongkol's audio patch.

If you want to use one of the DSDTs, please activate “GraphicsEnabler=Yes” in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, because I’ve changed the IGPU strings. With this minor code you will be able to change your VRAM dynamically for example, so there is no more need for adding it to the DSDT. All video outputs are working flawless with fully working mirroring. HDMI audio ist not supported.

Furthermore I’ve added a new smbios.plist with iMac10,1 identifier, a generic org.chameleon.Boot.plist and the Extensions folder with all kexts you’ll need into the zip file.

GSDT Changelog 05.12.2011:

- removed needless / unnecessary "LINX" entries

- added Method W2K9 for Windows 7

- added device-id to Device (SATA)

- removed needless / unnecessary code from Device (IGPU)

- added NVCAP extracted from the original VGA-BIOS.ROM

- removed needless / unnecessary code from Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)

- removed needless / unnecessary devices

- added Device (IPIC) / Device (TIMR) / Device (HPET) from the original unedited DSDT

- removed needless / unnecessary code from Device (OHCX) / Device (EHCX)

- removed needless / unnecessary code Device (HDEF)

- added some device informations to Device (GIGE)

- some minor edits

GA-E7AUM-DS2H.zip

Hey oleg,

I have figured out theinstall method quite well...i basically use a uniboot lioninstaller with a modified usb kext (otherwise no inputs).

lion server is installed as an application...i do this before updating so that the whole system gets updated...i have reinstalled again now and everything works as expected. However, this time i want to install all kexts manually (not using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installer...i havent installed any bootloaders with it anyway...

Can i install all kexts to extras folder or is it necesary to install some to library/extensions ?

Hello again,

Got a working server installation up and running...

I am using e60s new dsdt and i can confirm that changing vram works now...

Thqnks a lot e60!

Cd rom drive is not showing up in profiler. It show me 2 ata bus interfaces, but doesnt give any details...

Maybe there are specific bios settings to correct? I have the drive as primary master...it is the only device on the bus...it is a plextor dvd-rw drive...

@Philsrb

You're welcome. :) Could you please make a screenshot of your Chameleon folder and post it here? Which kexts you're using and where do you have placed them? By the way, do you still having problems enabling your sound?

Hello,

I will attach a screenshot today...I was just thinking...is there a possibility to get the spdif output working and transmit 5.1 to the reeceiver?

here are the different screen shots i made...

maybe this held get the stuff going :) i really start to feel the need for the cd rom drive. i have the jumper set to master on the drive...nothing there though...

http://www.mediafire.com/?dbwmobgm2pol4m7,i1ddp268qf1398p,myro880u9hva6w9,dey9bdbr86v9gsx,cetbclvxveunr90

I have to quote olegischinski ...

Stupid question: ATA is enabled in BIOS?

Please check the following settings in your Bios options.

idecontrollera9rh5.png

Maby it might be helpful to know which specific DVD Drive your using (Plextor XYZ) and if it's possible to use it with Windows.

Because of your Audio. You're using my DSDT with layout id 885' date=' so if you want to get your digital outputs working, you have to patch your AppleHDA.kext like described by VCH888 over here.

Hello,

IDE is enabled of course :) the drive is listed as primary master...i will try experimenting with the pin and see if that does make a change.

the link you gave me shows multiple links to how tos etc...i currently have the system running and last time i played with sound it stewed up...is there a specific thread i have to follow or maybe one of the links? is there a way to actually get the hdmi sound working or only spdif? from what i have read there some people have hdmi audio running...but maybe they have different hardware so..

I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to MAC OS X....i have understood a little bit of terminal and post installation (boot loaders etc) but still everything is new land to me for now

hi Phil,

if you would scroll down a little bit in the first post of the linked audio thread, you will find this:

->snip

For OS X 10.7
, or AppleHDA version > 2.0.0

ALC885/889a

zip.gif

4508 downloads

<-snip

(Really difficult to find :whistle: )

Download the package and follow the instructions.

And for the last time:

Sound over HDMI will NOT work with AppleHDA (patched or unpatched).

Good luck!