[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

After several tries, I found my missing 256m, about 0xb0000000 ~ 0xc0000000.  I uploaded another version of Chameleon which open that area in memory map.

In 512m mode, BIOS will reserve mems 0xa0000000 ~ 0xc0000000.  That will make us lose 512m !!! mems.  I haven't find a way to do both of 2 modes by one code.  Help me, any idea is welcome. 

The "missing" mems is reserved for "TurboCache", probably, which only works with nvidia driver in win.  We won't be able to us them in osx (or linux, i think) if we don't open then explicitly.  I really come to hate TurboCache: Does using twice of main memory for an on-board gfx have any sense?  It's much easier to me to have more value options in gmem VRAM setting in BIOS.

here is mine. Hope you'll "fix" for 8GB ram...   :wacko:

Have you tried my pkg i uploaded few days ago?  Any feedback will be help me to solve 8GB situation.  

Chameleon_2.0_RC3_r658_256m_rel1107.pkg.zip

Chameleon_2.0_RC3_r658_rel1107.patch.txt

post-25206-1257612112_thumb.png

Have you tried my pkg i uploaded few days ago? Any feedback will be help me to solve 8GB situation.

Tried it!

when installing it I get error with "yellow !"...tried both chameleon 256Mb files from here...do I need to install it on a NON running SL ?

Edit:

1) Tried it with original ChamRC3 and install runs fine on running SL...hmm ?

2) Used Pacifist to install - Chameleon starts but no SL boot up - have to remove HD to install Cham.RC3 again and maybe my extra folder too - hope to get it running again then because I'm not interested to re-install SL-

when installing it I get error with "yellow !"...tried both chameleon 256Mb files from here...do I need to install it on a NON running SL ?

Edit:

1) Tried it with original ChamRC3 and install runs fine on running SL...hmm ?

2) Used Pacifist to install - Chameleon starts but no SL boot up - have to remove HD to install Cham.RC3 again and maybe my extra folder too - hope to get it running again then because I'm not interested to re-install SL-

Becos i compiled the package on my 10.5.8, the installation MAY fails on 10.6.1.  I'm sorry i forgot it ......  But I am pretty sure the loader is OS-independent as netcastle has proved that.

*EDIT: Works. Used pacifist to extract boot and then copied it from the terminal. Ran memtest and no snow!

Would you give us some more specific details about how to apply it manually?

@adidasprince

Here is the Chameleon pic you requested.

chameleonmemoryinfof7p1.jpg

Furthermore I produced accidentally a Kernel panic. :):( This is result. Maybe it will help you to compile the solution. :(

kernelpanicg8kt.jpg

@adidasprince

Here is the Chameleon pic you requested.

Thanks for the pic!

It seems to me that all memory entries are same with 4gb.  I think it'll be fine if you chose my first patched package.  

Furthermore I produced accidentally a Kernel panic. :(:D This is result. Maybe it will help you to compile the solution. :)

The newest one is not stable cos "the missing memory area" hasnot be determined and i'm still tracking on it (which i will deal with after 256m vs. 512m variation solved).  Pls use the old one, althou it cost you 512m mems.   :P It's not real easy to find a universal loader solution to get >2GB problem done.  There may be other memory map variations, like 32-bit vs. 64-bit cpu or single vs. double channel mems etc., which gigabyte won't never tell us.  

Would you give us some more specific details about how to apply it manually?

Use Pacifist to extract the boot file from core/usr/standalone/i386. You don't need the other files in this folder as long as you already have an installed Chameleon bootloader. Open terminal, login using sudo -s, and cp the extracted boot file to the root of your sl install. works.

Right now I am using 8 gigs of ram and all seems well.

Use Pacifist to extract the boot file from core/usr/standalone/i386. You don't need the other files in this folder as long as you already have an installed Chameleon bootloader. Open terminal, login using sudo -s, and cp the extracted boot file to the root of your sl install. works.

Right now I am using 8 gigs of ram and all seems well.

Thank you, netcastle.  This is really helpful.

This was fun! I just did a fast install and it worked.

Flashed bios with jon55 f3a, downloaded the kext-package (all but nforce are now in my extras)

Used carbon copy cloner to a drive from my mbp (with SL)... Edited UUIDS as suggested.

Installed cham from adidasprinces first post. Dont forget the customize button if youre getting a yellow exclamation mark during install (I added gfx recognition and so forth..).. The installation finished all the way through. Popped the drivie in my htpc.. Booted verbose and voila..

Ran memtest without snow. Getting loads of errors in the end but I guess that has to do with the now "locked" memory area.

Thats it.. didnt test anything else but I noticed alot of sound assertion-errors during boot (might be due to me forgotting to disable hdmi audio in bios) and a long halt at waiting for dsmos.

Just a short update..

A huge thanks to all of you that have contributed with your time and effort in getting past the memory problem!

/C

Two things:

1) the jon55 f3a bios works great. But it flies past the initial POST screen so fast that I cannot see any info about my memory. What I think I see is that it is running is single channel mode. I'm not quite sure though. Anyone know how I can check this or slow down the initial POST?

2) don't have audio. Admittedly, I used a clone of my asus install (worked like a charm), but the new kexts don't seem to give me audio. Any guidance? I remember what a PITA audio was initially. Anyone have any luck in SL?

This was fun! I just did a fast install and it worked.

Flashed bios with jon55 f3a, downloaded the kext-package (all but nforce are now in my extras)

Used carbon copy cloner to a drive from my mbp (with SL)... Edited UUIDS as suggested.

Installed cham from adidasprinces first post. Dont forget the customize button if youre getting a yellow exclamation mark during install (I added gfx recognition and so forth..).. The installation finished all the way through. Popped the drivie in my htpc.. Booted verbose and voila..

Ran memtest without snow. Getting loads of errors in the end but I guess that has to do with the now "locked" memory area.

Thats it.. didnt test anything else but I noticed alot of sound assertion-errors during boot (might be due to me forgotting to disable hdmi audio in bios) and a long halt at waiting for dsmos.

Just a short update..

A huge thanks to all of you that have contributed with your time and effort in getting past the memory problem!

/C

Thank you for the feeds. We have another winner~

Two things:

1) the jon55 f3a bios works great. But it flies past the initial POST screen so fast that I cannot see any info about my memory. What I think I see is that it is running is single channel mode. I'm not quite sure though. Anyone know how I can check this or slow down the initial POST?

2) don't have audio. Admittedly, I used a clone of my asus install (worked like a charm), but the new kexts don't seem to give me audio. Any guidance? I remember what a PITA audio was initially. Anyone have any luck in SL?

1) Press "Pause/Break" key when booting

2) I have a bluetooth headset, so i'm using no-mic AppleAzaliaAudio mentioned in big topic which does not have sleep-wakeup problem. BUT I AM USING 10.5.8, NOT SURE FOR SL.

@netcastle

To stop the Postscreen you have to press “Pause” like adidasprince advised you.

Because of the Audio problems I had them too, but to be honest, I used a different installation method, not dlach´s or rbonon´s. In this case I had to replace all files located in the /Extra/Extensions folder of my Chameleon USB Stick, but unfortunately I forgot to add the LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext. After doing this I had to change the Audio output in the preferences. Many thanks to dlach for this advise! Now mostly everything is working fine for me and I´m able to use Windows 7 and SL Dualboot.

My only issues are no Lan after wakeup and I´m not able to use two Monitors at the same time. -_-

@adidasprince

Today I will test your pach using netcastle´s way. I will let you know if it is fine for me too.

I have a USB Apple keyboard and even though under bootcamp F16 is the equivalent of pause, it does not seem to work during the POST screen. No matter, I was able to make out that it is registering as DDR2 dual channel, so it is not an issue anymore.

I got sound working by using jon55's kext pack. I also removed alcinject and alc1200. Get a lot of sound assertion errors, but since I don't know what these are and they don't seem to affect anything, I don't care.

Ethernet still does not connect after sleep. Tried nforcelan as dlach suggested and got the same result he did. That is the last real big hurdle. I may just install a separate nic to get around this for now.

Otherwise, with 8 gigs and a quad core installed this board is quite snappy. It feels more responsive than the Asus.

Heheh got itchy fingers and updated to 10.6.2 in swupdate.. A big no no!.. EBIOS error and stuff. Dont have the time to dwell in that.

Just a heads up..

So do it the right way. I know netkas has some info on his site and I guess there wil be some in this forum as well. Just dont be lazy like me and just press update. ;)

I will try it the right way tomorrow :)

/C

@netcastle

To stop the Postscreen you have to press “Pause” like adidasprince advised you.

Because of the Audio problems I had them too, but to be honest, I used a different installation method. It is described here. Therefore you have to use a different kind of preparating a Chameleon USB Stick. I did everything described in this Guide, but deleted the DSDT.aml file and instead of using AsereBLN´s kext files, I used Jon55’s.

In this case I replaced all files located in the /Extra/Extensions folder of my Chameleon USB Stick, but unfortunately I forgot to add the LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext. After doing this I had to change the Audio output in the preferences. Now mostly everything is working fine for me and I´m able to use Windows 7 and SL Dualboot.

My only issues are no Lan after wakeup and I´m not able to use two Monitors at the same time. :(

@adidasprince

Today I will test your pach using netcastle´s way. I will let you know if it is fine for me too.

e60,

I feel parts of this post could be misinterpreted and since I put a lot of effort into PMing you to help with your various issues I think some clarity is deserved/required.

Because of the Audio problems I had them too, but to be honest, I used a different installation method. It is described here. Therefore you have to use a different kind of preparating a Chameleon USB Stick. I did everything described in this Guide, but deleted the DSDT.aml file and instead of using AsereBLN´s kext files, I used Jon55’s.

Just to be perfectly clear to the readers, your audio problems had nothing to do with problems in the guide. And in fact your audio problems were not resolved by using the alternate method you refer to but were only resolved when I responded to your PMadvising you to check whether you put the legacyaudio kext in place and set the line out in preferences. All of this is in the guide and anyone who follows it exactly will not experience the problems you had.

That said, since I have made no effort, nor do I plan to, verify any dual boot methods, if anyone needs to dual boot they'll need to follow either rbonon's doc or e60's link. All I can say is good luck and do yourself a favor and ditch winblows. I put the effort into triple booting my hackbook (osx, vista, ubuntu) and found that with NeoOffice I really only need/use osx.

All I can say is good luck and do yourself a favor and ditch winblows. I put the effort into triple booting my hackbook (osx, vista, ubuntu) and found that with NeoOffice I really only need/use osx.

Even if you need Windows, have a try on VMWare Fusion. It is simply Windows under Mac OS X. Very snappy and compatible.

A word about my guide. After following some productive PMing with e60, I found a small glitch that I am correcting right away. In my guide I make no explicit mention of a need to install Chameleon on the USB stick. I will include that soon.

dlach, have you tried the mem fix with success?

@dlach

I feel parts of this post could be misinterpreted and since I put a lot of effort into PMing you to help with your various issues I think some clarity is deserved/required.

Sorry about that! This was not my intention! I edited my post to bring some clarity. Once again, sorry for that!

Just to be perfectly clear to the readers, your audio problems had nothing to do with problems in the guide. And in fact your audio problems were not resolved by using the alternate method you refer to but were only resolved when I responded to your PMadvising you to check whether you put the legacyaudio kext in place and set the line out in preferences. All of this is in the guide and anyone who follows it exactly will not experience the problems you had.

100% right! I have used a very different Guide, not yours or rbonons and like I wrote before, I forgot to replace the right kext. Without dlach´s help I would still have the Audio and many other problems. You made a real awesome Guide and many people including myself are really thankful for that!

After following some productive PMing with e60, I found a small glitch that I am correcting right away.

Thank you for the flowers, but I only followed your advises like a proband. :)

@all

FIY

I sent a mail to gigabyte and got a reply today:

um......

When I started talking to them they were helpful. Then I open another question and got the cold response you did, when I went back to the original question, they were helpful again, I think it depends on the support tech you get.