4890 and 4870 X2

davewolfs

91 posts in this topic

there is no attached outputs to second core of 4870x2 , so enabling second core will make absolutely no difference.

thought it would be something along those lines.

as to running the altered kexts from the efi partition is that possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Yesterday I became a new Radeon 4890 from MSI. This Card works fine with QE, CI and and all resolutions with Netkas driver.

I have one problem: The mouse, keyboard and scrollwheel did'nt work perfectly. Every 2 seconds stops the mousepointer for a little moment. In background the mouse moves and jump after this pause to the new position.

Has everybody the same malfunction?

What can I do? I test 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 with a fresh install and only the necessary kexts for my Gigabyte Board PA35-DS3P.

My old Radeon 3870 works fine without this mouse problem.

I installed the default natit and the QE-Exotic Card Patch. I try also the new universal enabler from Netkas. No chance to get the card working without the mouse stutter.

Is there any kext disturb the natit?

Must I manually edit any info.plist or hexedit anyrhing.

Nice if anyone give me any tip.

Or give it another way to get the 4890 working? DSDT Patching? How it works?

MacHilli

Success !!

I am happy to report that Gainward Radeon 4870x2's also work.

I initially tried the Morpheous guide but got the black and white garble. However once I used the

attached Netkas 4870x2 files from the previous page (in addition to Morpheous) all was well and it worked.

Here's my system specs if anyone is interested:

CPU: Q9650 at 3.6 Ghz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600

GPU: Gainward 4870x2

CHIPSET: Intel x48

Thanks a lot guys! I honestly do not know how you figure this stuff out :)

Now to figure out sound and the USB key problems I have.. hehe. :D

P.S: Fan control seems to be working well in case anyones worried about overheating their X2. The bios default on this card is very low and leads to temps of up to 80 degrees but its running quite cool at the moment in OSX.

Success !!

I am happy to report that Gainward Radeon 4870x2's also work.

I initially tried the Morpheous guide but got the black and white garble. However once I used the

attached Netkas 4870x2 files from the previous page (in addition to Morpheous) all was well and it worked.

Here's my system specs if anyone is interested:

CPU: Q9650 at 3.6 Ghz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600

GPU: Gainward 4870x2

CHIPSET: Intel x48

Thanks a lot guys! I honestly do not know how you figure this stuff out :)

Now to figure out sound and the USB key problems I have.. hehe. :whistle:

P.S: Fan control seems to be working well in case anyones worried about overheating their X2. The bios default on this card is very low and leads to temps of up to 80 degrees but its running quite cool at the moment in OSX.

Nice work! How do you change the fan speed in OSX?

I am going to sell my x2 now that I am running OSX (no point it doesn't use the 2nd core and I dont see apple adopting crossfire any time soon) and get either a 1gb 4870 or maybe the 4890.

Edit: Actually after looking the GTX285 seems to have much better single GPU performance, I think I will go with that.

• 1 month later...

woah after numerous unsuccessfull tries to get my HD4870X2 (Sapphire) working in the last couple of month, this thread finally got it working! thanks alot! I even have both of my 24inch Monitors running via DVI immediatly.

What i did:

1. Followed Morpheus Guide on Page 2, but used the newer Natit posted by Netkas one page later (actually i dont know if its newer but the link is different)

2. Installed the ATY_Motmot.kext somebody has attached as a HD4870X2.zip on page 4 (i didnt install the ATI_init_new.pkg from that zip)

Thats it, seems to be working perfect now with iPC 10.5.6. Only one core though, but since both displays are working and i use osx only to work anyway (have windows installed for gaming) i dont need both cores anyway.

woah after numerous unsuccessfull tries to get my HD4870X2 (Sapphire) working in the last couple of month, this thread finally got it working! thanks alot! I even have both of my 24inch Monitors running via DVI immediatly.

What i did:

1. Followed Morpheus Guide on Page 2, but used the newer Natit posted by Netkas one page later (actually i dont know if its newer but the link is different)

2. Installed the ATY_Motmot.kext somebody has attached as a HD4870X2.zip on page 4 (i didnt install the ATI_init_new.pkg from that zip)

Thats it, seems to be working perfect now with iPC 10.5.6. Only one core though, but since both displays are working and i use osx only to work anyway (have windows installed for gaming) i dont need both cores anyway.

That sort of worked for me. I get everything including QE on the primary display, but the secondary doesn't work. It's just listed as 'no display connected'. Any ideas on getting the second one working?

Just confirming that the following worked for me (a 4890 owner and total noob):

1) Run QE_CI_Exotic_Cards.pkg

2) Run Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_Cards.pkg

3) Reboot

Now I get the correct resolution and Quartz Extreme supported, I haven't tested the second display output, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Is there any way to monitor temps and fan speeds on a hackintosh? I can't help but feel I'm playing with fire...

hey guys,

any help or tips or possible things to try would greatly be appreciated!

i'm using the ati sapphire 4870 card which has 1dvi, 1vga and 1hdmi. is there anyway i can get dual monitors working?

any suggestions? <3

I, too, would like to know.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi

Could you please tell me step by step how to install ati 4870x2 on iDeneb 10.5.8.

I'm new to mac so it all sound strange to me

Thanks G

Just found your post here, for 4870x2 you need S/L 10.6 at least (Retail disk install). On 10.6.5 it works strait up

graphics enabler=yes DVI>DVI DVI>VGA and DVI>HDMI (No sound). Maybe time to lash out 30 odd $ and update

:D