• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Interests:Wandering around on the internet!! Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.
My computer keeps on restarting everytime I boot from the CD!!
I even downloaded a premade CD for P45 (I know that's not my motherboard but I wanted to see if I'll get past the instant reboot), and still get instant reboot.

Why is that happening?

Scottapotamas

Scottapotamas

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
where did you find that pre-made one... i am updating my boot132 disk to a char, (see guide in sig) and everytime i try to boot the retail cd, i get a

"Mach Kernel not found." error... There is no reference to the mach kernel in any of my plists, and the disk should boot vanillia right???

If i do need a kernel, where do i put it?

Cube Boss

Cube Boss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot sonotone for this work, very useful.
I got a few doubts though, if you can help me:

What about those who can't use Vanilla ?
I tried putting an Extensions.mkext and a mach_kernel.voodoo in Preboot.dmg and the other stuff(smbios.plist,com.apple.Boot.plist,DSDT.aml and themes) in the Extra folder at the CD.

Whenever I try to load the kernel manually in the command line it doesn't find the kernel. I use
rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy rd=disk0s2

Is the Preboot.dmg being loaded as a ramdisk ?

Thanks in Advance.

Scottapotamas

Scottapotamas

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
the preboot.dmg is the ram disk

5. Still inside Extra folder, create a dmg, and name it Preboot.dmg (it's the RAM disk)

I guess you have the kernel issue too... I haven;t found a solution and would like one... i have tried putting the kernel in every concievable folder...

Trograin

Trograin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:A lot as long as there is Eye Candy involved and maybe sci-fi, and technology..and mostly to dre...
Okey, I guess I am still sleaping. I see how this works and I udnerstand the guide but somethign aint clicking in my head.

This is a boot cd that will rescan and notice the retail cd. That far Im game :blink: for the retail dvd or cd to work on an intel PC we need ( as everyone knows) some nice extra adding. In my case running a P5K-Pro board with a HD4879 ATI Radeon card and ALC883 audio cuppled iwith an OOB ethernet card, I dont need to much ( no in leopard atleast) to get it working. I know I will need:
fakesmc.kext
OpenHaltRestart
EFi string for my card
Patched DSDT.aml file with my audio

So to clarify this, where the buggers do I put these files. They cant be going into the boot dc since its only a bot cd, am I correct?

I have been reading up on this guide: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=182227

But what I did not get there is how to restore the restored dvd image back into a dvd :D I must be a bit slow today to be honest, I usually dont have problems reading the guides anywhere but I simple am missing somethign here. Can someone please just clarify these things to me: Bootcd inthis guide is to get the retail dvd to actually boot and let me install. Where do I put my kexts taht I need for the installed system to work on my Intelbased (Vanilla friendly) PC system? (fakesmc.kext and OpenHaltRestart)???

noob766

noob766

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
This is supposed to be used on a blank cd, not an installation cd. I'm not sure exactly how to do it myself as I have never tried it but sonotone is reliable.

antwill

antwill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

What do peoples <kernel> </kernel> pointers look like in their Boot.plist? I can boot my Chameleon Boot CD and swap with a retail 10.5.6 but when I select the retail DVD the screen says "Cannot find mach_kernel" and it goes back to the partition selection screen.  

I have the exact same problem, has anyone worked this out yet?

Trograin

Trograin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:A lot as long as there is Eye Candy involved and maybe sci-fi, and technology..and mostly to dre...
Just manage to figure it out yess ;)

Use this guide to create me a nice boot cd.

Use this guide: http://www.insanelym...p...182227&st=0

to create meself a nice dvd with chameleont added and all me kexts.

Install by booting up with this guides boot cd and then install SL with the customized DVD, Smile and be happy ( IF you have gotten it all right with kexts and stuff : )

And yess as its sayed in most guides. the changes you had to do in leopard, or the patches you had to add, you have to do similair ones for SL to work. IF you are not a happy pup with a bloody clone of a real mac :D

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts

where did you find that pre-made one... i am updating my boot132 disk to a char, (see guide in sig) and everytime i try to boot the retail cd, i get a

"Mach Kernel not found." error... There is no reference to the mach kernel in any of my plists, and the disk should boot vanillia right???

If i do need a kernel, where do i put it?

same problem here. did u find some sollution?

noob766

noob766

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

this is my best guess how to do that
try these flags.
-rd(X,Y)/mach_kernel -v -rd=diskXsY
to find out what X and why are
open terminal and type in
diskutil list

you can make a boot-132 disc for leopard which chameleon flavor.
explains how at the bottom of this guide

Scottapotamas

Scottapotamas

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

no... but i really need one!

antwill

antwill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I tried booting again, and accidently hit F4 or F6 and it said something about erasing some bios setting or something and couldnt find whatever it was. But then the drives were all reorganized, but it booted into the retail dvd, was greeted with an instant kernel panic. Anyone have any progress?

werdy

werdy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you, your tutorial saved a lot of time to me! ^_^

Suad91

Suad91

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I`ve got a problem here. I want to install MAC OS 10.6 SL and I need the Chameleon bootloader, but I have no MAC to create a bootable iso. What shall I do?

BR

bdkennedy1

bdkennedy1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
When the CD boots, I get an error message saying the ramdisk is not configured. There's nothing in the tutorial about configuring a ramdisk.

Here is how my ISO is laid out...

-ISO
-cdboot
-Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
-Extra/Preboot.dmg

-Preboot.dmg
-com.apple.boot.plist
-Extensions/xxxxxx.kext

dumbshitaward

dumbshitaward

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi folks,

sorry pull out this thread again.

I'm not a total noob to the whole Hackintosh topic (but very close! Finally managed to get one running on a GA-EP43... duh, big deal) but I'm completely stuck with my Acer Travelmate 5720g.

I'm using a generic Chameleon 2 Boot-CD to fire up the installation (for some reason I never had any luck at all with Boot-132), which works quite nicely. However, the keyboard and touchpad are dead - not surprising, since they seem to be PS/2. I'm now having trouble to add the ApplePS2.kext to the iso.

I finally found out that they are stored in the preboot.dmg and only hours later I managed to open that thing with Transmac and add the PS2 kext. So, really dumb question: how the heck can I get the whole bunch with the new dmg into a bootable iso again? Naturally, just throwing the cdboot and the extra folder onto a DVD-RW and burning it wouldn't work (as a matter of fact, I tried that out of desperation).

Thing is, I don't have a Mac (that's why I'm working on this...) and the next one available is rather far away, so I'll have to do this with Win 7 or whatever Linux live DVD.

Any clues on this one?

zoltankr

zoltankr

zoliky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
Why do we need a 10MB preboot.dmg file? Reducing the size to 1MB increase the boot speed:
hdiutil create -megabytes 1 preboot.dmg -fs HFS+

Mammoth

Mammoth

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello all and thanks for all your help!

Just made my first bootable CD after following the information here closely.

Also, I used PowerISO under Windows 7 to burn my CD, and it worked perfectly. I did not have any success when I tried to use Disk Utility.

Thanks again!

Mammoth

lumyai

lumyai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

4.. Extra folder is also the place for dsdt.aml, others .plists, themes...etc.

5. Still inside Extra folder, create a dmg, and name it Preboot.dmg (it's the RAM disk)
Inside the dmg, copy you extensions (Extra/Extensions/) or Extensions.mkext (Extra/).

6. Now open Terminal, then type:

sudo hdiutil makehybrid -o new.iso newiso/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot newiso/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "My Boot CD" -joliet-volume-name "My Boot CD"

Hmm. I tried to use the command in the Terminal of Ubuntu 10.04 and it told me the command not found for sudo hdiutil makehybrid -o new.iso newiso/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot newiso/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "My Boot CD" -joliet-volume-name "My Boot CD". Can I not use Ubuntu Terminal for this command?

ciccio2ciccio

ciccio2ciccio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
hi there, i have no chanches to use a mac to install to an hd nor to make a bootable chameleon 2 ,
and i need a patched chameleon because i have a nvidia quardo 580fx video card.
the files to patch are here
http://www.insanelym...hp/t219776.html

can somebody pleas make an iso for me and upload it?

ciccio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy