Marvell Yukon 8001 - the driver

m.musashi

409 posts in this topic

Just ran a speedtest from nyc speakeasy speedtest place

Download Speed: 2664 kbps (333 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 705 kbps (88.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is with my 2 pcs online, running itunes here on iranian radio .

Now I turned off my other pc, and will stop itunes radio .

Download Speed: 2782 kbps (347.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 708 kbps (88.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Ok it could be faster both in down and up.

Hopefully the router cant be killing some speed

ehm, that's an internet speed test

show's how fast is your internet connection, not the ethernet card

I need a LAN / intranet test to see if there's a bottleneck in the driver

on a 100Mbit/s I reach max transfer speed

tnx

I have a P4P800 Deluxe with the Gigabit Lan and I use the latest driver you have. Unfortunately my router is 100 Mbit but I do have a notebook with a Gigabit network interface (Intel Core Duo but only XP Home, my girlfiends property, if not it'be runing OSX by now ;) ). So, if you explain me if I can do a direct connection between a MacOS and XP and what test should I do to get the results you want I could do it.

schreplfer: thanks. To directly connect two PC via ethernet, you'd need a cross-over cable, which I guess you do not have

with this cable you just setup the LAN as you would with a router, just using manual IP settings

at that point, folder sharing, file transfer, network monitor :)

schreplfer: thanks. To directly connect two PC via ethernet, you'd need a cross-over cable, which I guess you do not have

with this cable you just setup the LAN as you would with a router, just using manual IP settings

at that point, folder sharing, file transfer, network monitor :(

I have a crossover, I'll see to set the ip's staticly. Hope it works, are you referring to the XP network monitor? Should I report estimate numbers or is there some tool I can use that can give accurate stats? Also, is a comparison with a laptop really up to par as it probably has a slower HDD?

I have a crossover, I'll see to set the ip's staticly. Hope it works, are you referring to the XP network monitor? Should I report estimate numbers or is there some tool I can use that can give accurate stats? Also, is a comparison with a laptop really up to par as it probably has a slower HDD?

I use netperf to stress test the network (www.netperf.org) and get statistics

but even net monitor under XP or Net Monitor for OSX (homepage.mac.com/rominar/net.html) can work as a first test to show bandwidth saturation

but yeah, as you've correctly pointed out a laptop HD on a gigabit LAN test is going to be a bottleneck ... already it is sometime on 100mbits

I have transferred a 2.6 GB file over windows sharing (samba?). Windows reported incoming bytes/sec at around 14.6 MB/s, OSX was reporting 28 MB/s under Activities Monitor. If you pm me with your email I'll send you a windows screenshot of the network traffic. (a sharp drop in speed on the graph coincided with a click from one of the hdd's so I guess the OS was putting it to sleep so don't worry about that).

Ok, a really dumb question. Where, and how do I modify the appleyukon.kext? I can't find it!

I don't think there is one, this is the port of the skge driver from linux so look for something like skge.kext . Yukon is for the yukon2 chipsets (this is for the yukon1's but no one is calling the yukons).

Check wheter this driver applies for your network interface.

These are the comments you can get from the linux kernel on chipset support:

SKGE config comments:

It does not support the link failover and network management

features that "portable" vendor supplied sk98lin driver does.

+ This driver supports adapters based on the original Yukon chipset:

+ Marvell 88E8001, Belkin F5D5005, CNet GigaCard, DLink DGE-530T,

+ Linksys EG1032/EG1064, 3Com 3C940/3C940B, SysKonnect SK-9871/9872.

+

+ It does not support the newer Yukon2 chipset: a separate driver,

+ sky2, is provided for Yukon2-based adapters.

I have P4P800 Deluxe which must have identical onboard lan (3c940).

I checked Ubuntu live results. It showed that it's Yukon skge device but not showing somethinglike 88e8001.

I edited info.plist under Appleyukon.kext.

I copied skge.kext into Extensions directory.

But even dmesg doesn't show any trace of network.

What did I do wrong?

Ethernet is wholly out in dmesg.

Please advice me what I should do.

I used Jas 10.4.6 install dvd with PPF1.

I tried to find what ven & dev I have on my onboard 3c940 lan. It's odd. It's VEN 10B7 (3COM), DEV 1700.

How come I have totally different DEV and VEN though I have same board with other's ASUS P4P800 DX?

Thanks for your input.

I'll try again.

BTW, is it possible that I have a different lan though it's 3c940?

I attach my dmesg. I have no idea what I should look at for any possible problem.

At least I do not see any ethernet device detected or loaded.

Regards,

Kisoo

dmesg2.txt