[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

I think I'm giving up. I suck far too much at this. After loading my backup, and trying to boot VIA the disk F8 method I'd get panic screen while loading. No matter what I tried.

Another odd thing was I kept getting fragmented or small partitions on my drive. Even after formatting it to one partition, it wouldn't take care of it. Assuming maybe it was just something with the disk, I even attempted used Gparted, and it would show that it's been formatted and nothing else. Only until I used the Windows 7 formatter (gave up and decided to just get the computer working in some capacity) did I see all the extra partitions varying in size.

I'm assuming that some mini partitions were effecting the booting problems I had, but I'm not sure. Towards the end, even when I would do a fresh install and try that route again, I started getting the blinking courser up at the left hand corner, whereas before it only happened when I tried to restore an old backup. Maybe one of those little partitions I didn't see were screwing my installs. Not sure though.

I was about 2 seconds from going office space style on my dell... Then I relized it's not the dells fault. I am after all installing something that wasn't meant for it on it.

Thanks for all the help though GD. You should get paid for all the tech support. If I ever give it a go again, hopefully you will still be around for advice.

sorry you couldn't get it to work. you do get one or two extra partitions if you use gparted though, that's normal for guid partitions (e.g. one I remember is about 200mb in size). send me your hdd (or an extra one you have) and I will put it on for you and ship it back to you.

To TheGreatDeceiver:

Thanks for reply.

I spend one more day with Broadcom 440x and now using kexts from osx86tools driver updates - need some time to test. But it's working the whole evening and morning so far.

I switched to voodoo kernel with correct system.kext and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 (to be able to open .dmg files without kernel panic)

Sleep still doesn't work. It doesn't metter what hibernatemode I set - 1 or 3 my laptop goes to sleep with green light blinking. So no hibernate is activated. I also reinstalled PC EFI V9 but no change.

Should I try different 10.5.6 installation? Or are there some other options to activate that damn hibernate

Looking forward for feedbacks.

Strange days......

I decided after taking a day off to give it one more try. Sometimes when you are trying to hard you screw yourself up.

The only thing I could think of that was screwing this process up (after installing on my first try with very little problems) was the odd partitioning that was happening on my drives.

I went back to basics, and decided to use the windows 7 partitioner first to delete and format the hard drives. Then used the Mac disk utility to convert to the proper format.

Booted up with no issues whatsoever. Why on earth I was having so many issues with gparted or just using the native disk utility in the mac installer, I have no clue.

Now I'm updating and going to work on the external out. Life is good again (for the moment). haha. Thanks for the offer GD, I think I got it off and running this time. I'm going to leave it alone once I get everything working right. :rolleyes:

To TheGreatDeceiver:

Thanks for reply.

I spend one more day with Broadcom 440x and now using kexts from osx86tools driver updates - need some time to test. But it's working the whole evening and morning so far.

I switched to voodoo kernel with correct system.kext and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 (to be able to open .dmg files without kernel panic)

Sleep still doesn't work. It doesn't metter what hibernatemode I set - 1 or 3 my laptop goes to sleep with green light blinking. So no hibernate is activated. I also reinstalled PC EFI V9 but no change.

Should I try different 10.5.6 installation? Or are there some other options to activate that damn hibernate

Looking forward for feedbacks.

odd, sounds to me that your pcefiv9 is not working as it should or you have sth else that sends your notebook into safe sleep instead of deep. did you try the deep sleep widget? on my post above is a site that has several different options to use sleep. there is one that uses a script. I'd try that one. Also, make sure you have wake on USB turned off in the BIOS (just realized mine is turned off). If that doesn't help turn it back on.

Strange days......

I decided after taking a day off to give it one more try. Sometimes when you are trying to hard you screw yourself up.

The only thing I could think of that was screwing this process up (after installing on my first try with very little problems) was the odd partitioning that was happening on my drives.

I went back to basics, and decided to use the windows 7 partitioner first to delete and format the hard drives. Then used the Mac disk utility to convert to the proper format.

Booted up with no issues whatsoever. Why on earth I was having so many issues with gparted or just using the native disk utility in the mac installer, I have no clue.

Now I'm updating and going to work on the external out. Life is good again (for the moment). haha. Thanks for the offer GD, I think I got it off and running this time. I'm going to leave it alone once I get everything working right. :thumbsup_anim:

phew! glad you finally got it to work. I suggest to switch to a different backup imaging program. e.g Norton Ghost (latest version 14) or Acronis True Image 2009. Since you have now mbr and not guid you can always backup the mbr with any of you partitions and should not have the problems anymore when writing the leopard image back to your partition.

Yes I tried dead sleep widget. Let me try with wake on USB turned off in the BIOS.

Update:

I went to BIOS and wake on USB set to "on" was "off"

hibernatemode 1

Not when I go to sleep green light is constantly on and when i move mouse monitor wake up - GREAT.

But it looks like a sleep not a hibernate :(

odd, sounds to me that your pcefiv9 is not working as it should or you have sth else that sends your notebook into safe sleep instead of deep. did you try the deep sleep widget? on my post above is a site that has several different options to use sleep. there is one that uses a script. I'd try that one. Also, make sure you have wake on USB turned off in the BIOS (just realized mine is turned off). If that doesn't help turn it back on.

phew! glad you finally got it to work. I suggest to switch to a different backup imaging program. e.g Norton Ghost (latest version 14) or Acronis True Image 2009. Since you have now mbr and not guid you can always backup the mbr with any of you partitions and should not have the problems anymore when writing the leopard image back to your partition.

Thanks for the suggestion, it was actually extremely helpful. I was trying to figure out how I was going to back up the system and avoid having the same problems as last time.

Didn't realize that by using the mbr format I could simply get a copy of Ghost and make a backup like a regular windows OS system, it makes sense though.

I think that was another issue was the first time I installed it, it defaulted at MBR. When I tried to redo somethings, I picked the GUID format, and I never got it working right. With my setup, it seems that OS X prefers MBR. :(

Thanks again man for all the help. Basically all the issues I had, you helped with. I'd be looking into a mac mini or something right now if not for you.

TGD, how can I check whether EFi v9 works or not ? I mean, I have the same sleep problem (my computer is supposed to go deepsleep but powerlight is still blinking, and deepsleep widget makes the same thing). Thanks in advance

TGD, how can I check whether EFi v9 works or not ? I mean, I have the same sleep problem (my computer is supposed to go deepsleep but powerlight is still blinking, and deepsleep widget makes the same thing). Thanks in advance

read the thread around this post. You may have to manually put the netkas boot file into your root (see attached). Also, according to netkas some systems fail to go to deepsleep because of an RTC bug in dsdt. To fix it, use this dsdt patcher, it will create the proper dsdt.aml, which you need to rename to DSDT.aml and put it in the root of your partition. I do remember playing with this at some point, but didn't think it was important. Initially the reason to use this was because the guru's said it's necessary for not getting kps on updates. Apparently there is more to this. If pcefiv9 is correctly installed you should see a message related to sleepimage, e.g. mine states "sleepimage already used" right after I hit enter at the darwin bootloader (attached is a jpeg with what you should see). Attached is netkas' boot file that needs to go into your partition root. You need to remove any older one that may be there:

terminal: sudo rm /boot

then copy it.

also just checked my root for the .aml file and it is not present, so I think dsdt file is not necessary. Finally, please make sure you have USB wake in BIOS disabled as I stated before.

boot.zip

post-11793-1237055808_thumb.jpg

To: TheGreatDeceiver

As i wrote before I'm able to sleep my Dell but green light constantly lights.

So after all tries that I made, I can't put it to dead sleep.

Currently I have iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) + Voodoo Kernel + correct DSDT + boot from you last post + PC EFI v9 + Sonotones drivers. And still no change.

Actually everything works fine except deep sleep.

I decided to start from the scratch :( I'll reinstall it.

Can you say what installation of mac os x are you using?

If pcefiv9 is correctly installed you should see a message related to sleepimage, e.g. mine states "sleepimage already used" right after I hit enter at the darwin bootloader (attached is a jpeg with what you should see).

I see that it showing:

starting hibernate

Sleepimage is already used

Do you see this after a regular reboo /startup or just after wake from sleep?

For me during regular reboot/startup I see

.. sleepimage contain garbage..

To: TheGreatDeceiver

As i wrote before I'm able to sleep my Dell but green light constantly lights.

So after all tries that I made, I can't put it to dead sleep.

Currently I have iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) + Voodoo Kernel + correct DSDT + boot from you last post + PC EFI v9 + Sonotones drivers. And still no change.

Actually everything works fine except deep sleep.

I decided to start from the scratch :( I'll reinstall it.

Can you say what installation of mac os x are you using?

I see that it showing:

starting hibernate

Sleepimage is already used

Do you see this after a regular reboo /startup or just after wake from sleep?

For me during regular reboot/startup I see

.. sleepimage contain garbage..

make sure "use secure virtual memory" under Security system preferences is not checked.

read the thread around this post. You may have to manually put the netkas boot file into your root (see attached). Also, according to netkas some systems fail to go to deepsleep because of an RTC bug in dsdt. To fix it, use this dsdt patcher, it will create the proper dsdt.aml, which you need to rename to DSDT.aml and put it in the root of your partition. I do remember playing with this at some point, but didn't think it was important. Initially the reason to use this was because the guru's said it's necessary for not getting kps on updates. Apparently there is more to this. If pcefiv9 is correctly installed you should see a message related to sleepimage, e.g. mine states "sleepimage already used" right after I hit enter at the darwin bootloader (attached is a jpeg with what you should see). Attached is netkas' boot file that needs to go into your partition root. You need to remove any older one that may be there:

terminal: sudo rm /boot

then copy it.

also just checked my root for the .aml file and it is not present, so I think dsdt file is not necessary. Finally, please make sure you have USB wake in BIOS disabled as I stated before.

Unchecked.

I also tried to recreate sleepimage. Deleted old one and then with pmset created new one.

First of all, thanks for trying to help people.

In fact, I got exactly the same problem as Yuriy ; with DSDT.aml patched with the patcher you suggested, EFi v9 installed, boot from your post, I got the light blinking even when I use the deepsleep dashboard widget. I made sure virtual memory was disabled, and USB wake disabled in BIOS settings. I even deleted sleepimage but still get the "Sleepimage has garbage " error message on boot.

But maybe I have some clues that could help ; once I could get the screen back after trying to wake. First, I could see my wallpaper with a kind of gray layer over it, then the layer disappeared and few seconds after, Voodoo KP, according to the error screen it was involving "IOStorageFamily" and "IOAtaFamily"

First of all, thanks for trying to help people.

In fact, I got exactly the same problem as Yuriy ; with DSDT.aml patched with the patcher you suggested, EFi v9 installed, boot from your post, I got the light blinking even when I use the deepsleep dashboard widget. I made sure virtual memory was disabled, and USB wake disabled in BIOS settings. I even deleted sleepimage but still get the "Sleepimage has garbage " error message on boot.

But maybe I have some clues that could help ; once I could get the screen back after trying to wake. First, I could see my wallpaper with a kind of gray layer over it, then the layer disappeared and few seconds after, Voodoo KP, according to the error screen it was involving "IOStorageFamily" and "IOAtaFamily"

yes, that is indeed a clue. that is evidence that it is using hibernatemode 3 for some reason. It has the same symptoms you see when I try safe sleep (hibernatemode 3). I am at wits ends and can only guess that some odd kext in your installation is causing it to fall back to hibernatemode 3. I am not using dsdt.aml as it doesn't provide any advantages. Maybe that is the cause of the problems. Did you try this without it?

edit1: also, try to remove AppleHPET.kext from your extensions. if that doesn't do anything put it back.

it's working on one system without a problem after installation and one would think it should be easy to do. Far from true as we see here. too many variables involved and very different from one installation method to another. See InkBlot's post for details on which kexts have been replaced to get this to work.

Another thing is that trexplorer discovered that there is a problem with installation of some battery kexts that won't allow deep sleep to function. if you added these, remove them!

Well , I removed the following without any success, (kext removed apart and combinations) :

-DSDT.aml

-Powermanagement.bundle (don't have AppleACPIBatteryManage or ACPIBattery.kext or VoodooBattery.kext (I have VoodooPower for Intel speedstep) )

-AppleHPET

I keep trying things

This is my /System/Library/Extansions so someone with the same problem can compare

Extensions.txt

Well , I removed the following without any success, (kext removed apart and combinations) :

-DSDT.aml

-Powermanagement.bundle (don't have AppleACPIBatteryManage or ACPIBattery.kext or VoodooBattery.kext (I have VoodooPower for Intel speedstep) )

-AppleHPET

I keep trying things

This is my /System/Library/Extansions so someone with the same problem can compare

it's gotta be something very simple. sorry you can't get this to work yet. I will send you my kextstats tonight and look at your extension list to see if there is something sticking out.

thanks

edit1: attached kextstats from my system. Hope it helps somehow.

kextstat.txt

Here's how I got 10.5.6 working if anyone is interested.

I've got a Dell 6400, Pentium Dual Core... GMA950; the usual stuff.

I used the 'iPC OSx86 Final 10.5.6 V1.1 PPF6.iso'. When it got to the customizing but there wasn't much I had to tick, the default kernel (9.6) works fine, so no need to select another one. I ticked the GMA950 box and that was about it really. My wireless card was recognized without anything from my part, it worked straight from the initial setup screen.

I then configured my dual core kernel with the Dell Inspiron package release which also installed my sound drivers. It also got the battery icon to show in the menu bar. I then used 10.5.6 trackpad enabler package to make my trackpad and keyboard work. I installed a little package to fix my keyboard keys e.g. the @ and " key's.

That's it. So I've got a Dell 6400 running on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 with working network, sound, trackpad, display and dual core without stuttering.

Here's how I got 10.5.6 working if anyone is interested.

I've got a Dell 6400, Pentium Dual Core... GMA950; the usual stuff.

I used the 'iPC OSx86 Final 10.5.6 V1.1 PPF6.iso'. When it got to the customizing but there wasn't much I had to tick, the default kernel (9.6) works fine, so no need to select another one. I ticked the GMA950 box and that was about it really. My wireless card was recognized without anything from my part, it worked straight from the initial setup screen.

I then configured my dual core kernel with the Dell Inspiron package release which also installed my sound drivers. It also got the battery icon to show in the menu bar. I then used 10.5.6 trackpad enabler package to make my trackpad and keyboard work. I installed a little package to fix my keyboard keys e.g. the @ and " key's.

That's it. So I've got a Dell 6400 running on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 with working network, sound, trackpad, display and dual core without stuttering.

Hey, I'm a bit of a n00b. I'm running iDeneb right now, but I'm downloading iPC OSx86 Final now. I was wondering if it has compatibility with ATI Radeon x1300 PCIe 256MB ID: 7149, with CI/QE running.

Thanks guys, hope to have everything up and running.

TGD : I tried comparing your kextstat with mine, nothing interesting show up. (installed clamshell display but wasn't the sollution, nor AppleACPIBattery which missed up my battery icon).

I tried making some experiments, going to sleep and then look at logs to find out what's going wong and make my computer do a regular sleep instead of a deep one but nothing appears in the logs. I mean, even the fact that I go to sleep is invisible. Do you know how to activate more verbose logs messages ?

TGD : I tried comparing your kextstat with mine, nothing interesting show up. (installed clamshell display but wasn't the sollution, nor AppleACPIBattery which missed up my battery icon).

I tried making some experiments, going to sleep and then look at logs to find out what's going wong and make my computer do a regular sleep instead of a deep one but nothing appears in the logs. I mean, even the fact that I go to sleep is invisible. Do you know how to activate more verbose logs messages ?

sorry Olotiar, but I am clueless there. Maybe sonotone has an idea...

hope you find the problem. I cannot think of anything else that may be wrong.

sorry Olotiar, but I am clueless there. Maybe sonotone has an idea...

hope you find the problem. I cannot think of anything else that may be wrong.

Hello Guys.

If i understand your problem, you can only enter in deepsleep mode?

The deepsleep widget have settings: click on "i" then put the régular sleep mode to "quick".

Also, try to use this kernel: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1011144

Also, install stock powermanagement.bundle, appplesmbios and appleacipplatform form last combo update (you can extract them with pacifist).

If you have problems with sleepimage, boot with "-nowake" argument.

Well, in fact the problem is I can't enter in deeplsleep. My settings are to "deepsleep" in the widget or the hibernatemode command, but when I go to sleep, It actually enter the normal sleep mode (the memory isn't copied to the HDD, it stays in RAM).

Dling the latest combo update right now, but I think these are the kext I'm using right now (I in 10.5.6)

Merci d'essayer de m'aider

Hello Guys.

If i understand your problem, you can only enter in deepsleep mode?

The deepsleep widget have settings: click on "i" then put the régular sleep mode to "quick".

Also, try to use this kernel: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1011144

Also, install stock powermanagement.bundle, appplesmbios and appleacipplatform form last combo update (you can extract them with pacifist).

If you have problems with sleepimage, boot with "-nowake" argument.

it's strange, they seem to have all the correct components and kexts but whenever they try to go into hibernatemode 1, it doesn't work for them.

edit1: Olotiar, also try to use sonotone's patched 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 kernel with appropriate system.kexts. I've seen some posts with people having problems with the voodoo kernel.

Hey guys, I've tried finding an answer on the boards but I havn't had any luck. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or just not trying the right thing. But anyways, I've recently installed iDeneb 10.5.6, this is my first time messing with OSx86 for about a year when I used to use a Kalyway version. iDeneb is working great for me, it was really easy to get everything stable and running smooth... EXCEPT my video card. I've got the same GeForce 7900GS most of you have (E1705). No matter what I try, I can't get QE to enable, it just says not supported. Feel free to call me an idiot if you like, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys,

Been a while since I checked into this thread. Just wondering if any progress had been made to allow a Dell E1505 to run with its native screen resolution (namely, widescreen aspect ratios) with an ATI X1400.

Thanks!