JaS 10.4.6 Install dvd

domino

297 posts in this topic

It looks like you did it right... But here is how I did it. I hope it helps.

you were right to install windows frst.

if you dont do it ths way, wndows wll take over the boot sector and it isnt multi-oot frendly with other OSes (that aren't windows).

Install windows first, but install it into the SECOND partition.

After you install win, do a "fdisk /mbr" just to make sure your boot block is clean.

Next install linux on the THIRD partition..

MAKE SURE that you DO NOT install lilo or grub into the boot block (Master Boot Record)!

Put lilo or grub in the root of the linux partition./

REMEMBER- This should be on the third partition.

Install OSX last!

install it into the FIRST partition.

After it's installed just shut down and reboot.

When the osx loader starts it will say to press a key to enter startup options or something.

Hit a key and all of your partitions should be listed in a boot menu.

Just pick the one you want to boot and everything should work fine.

This is how I've got mine set up.

Just to clarify-

Do these steps IN ORDER:

1. Install windows into partition 2

2. Install LINUX into partition 3

3. Install OSX into partition 1

The only rule is DO NOT install your grub or lilo into the MBR. You should ONLY install it into the root of the linux partition.

Who needs Boot Camp? Not me.

For those who want to know what I'm running:

[ OSX 10.4.5 ] [ Windows XP SP 2 (Japanese) ] [ Slackware 10.2 ]

Have fun!

I need help installing JaS 10.4.6. In the beginning it just stalls so I used -v and after it displays the trackpad it just says "waiting for root device" over and over again. This is an HP zv6130us. I don't know how to send you a screen shot. Can anyone please help me. Feel free to email me at anewman@fit.edu. Thanks for the help.

Hello, I've recently installed from the JaS DVD and selected the following: AMD Base System, 10.4.6. Combo Update, AMD SSE2 and the Semjaza AMD Decrypts. Installation seems to go fine, but when I reboot the machine, my system gets stalled in "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and it just doesn't boot... Can anyone help me please?

hello, I'm triying install the JaS 10.4.6 Install dvd native without the ppf. All goes good until appears the apple logo. The problem is that don't happen anything and is keep this screen all the time. The circle under the apple logo turns and turns.

I have a pentium IV with SSE2. The hard drive is ATA.

please, any ideas?

P.D.: Excuse my english.

Hi,

I'm working with the DVD. It seemed to burn okay, I boot into the install fine, I select all the customizations I need, and the install starts.

In the log window though, it complains that it can't find .info files for various apps etc... and that the packages can't be opened.

Now, when I look at the DVD, I don't see the files either, so I'm wondering if I've burned the DVD image incorrectly, or perhaps do I have a bad image to start.

Any ideas?

Thank you kindly!

-T

Just a quick followup - This is the directory listing of the DVD:

Volume in drive D is Mac OS X Install Disc x86

Volume Serial Number is 8C43-B16A

Directory of D:\

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 56,192 BOOT

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 2,048 BOOT.CAT

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 512 BOOT0

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 512 BOOT1H

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 7,168 BOOT1U

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 1,794 BOOTHELP.TXT

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 59,392 CDBOOT

02/09/2006 06:52 AM 512 CHAIN0

8 File(s) 128,130 bytes

0 Dir(s) 0 bytes free

Try reburning the DVD at slowest speed and maybe change the media if you can.

Windows cannot see the OSX files on the HFS+ formatted section of the DVD. It can only see the boot blocks which are formatted in MSDos style.

Okay - all installed now to and external USB drive... chain0 dual boot with winxp working.

Now i've got the macvidia stuff to try and I need to get my broadcom wired ethernet working...

Thanks for the suggestion... I thought about trying it before but just didn't think that would be the issue. its not really an older burner or anything and quality media.

Later! Cheers!

can someone tell me how to format unallocated space so i can run the os x install disc

If you have not yet installed windows then when you install format the partition leaving at least 6gb for OSX.

If you have already installed Windows (or whatever) then use Partition Magic or similar, plenty of instructions on here.

If you are only installing OSX then use disk utility to format the whole drive (you can run disk utility as part of the set up, in the top menu)

I've installed the Jas 10.4.6 install DVD, the installation runs fine but when I reboot i get the Apple "NO ENTRY" sign (or whatever it's called)

I have read *all* the posts here and I guessed it might be because my partition was not "active" so I checked using my UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and it *is* set as active.

I tried to use Terminal to set this as well just in case with the following command:

fdisk -e /dev/disk0s2

but get the following error:

fdisk /dev/disk0s2: Resource Busy

I tried:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0s2

but I get:

command not found

When I boot onto the osX CD using F8 my hard drive is nowhere to be seen.

Can someone please offer a suggestion?

--------------------

Dell Inspiron 8600

ATI 9600 Card

Pentium M 2.0ghz (Dothan)

Truemobile 1300 card

ATA Drive

I installed JaS 10.4.6 Install dvd with NO options as my disk could not be read at the 10.4.6 patch, I don't think this is the error though, because I assume this would not stop the hard drive being read. I cannot get hold of another DVD disk until tomorrow :pirate2:

---------------------

I also cannot find the Jas 10.4.6 install dvd patch for the ATI / ATA combo, i am not a member of demontorrent (or whatever it's called)

Please help, thanks in advance

Rich

I've installed the Jas 10.4.6 install DVD, the installation runs fine but when I reboot i get the Apple "NO ENTRY" sign (or whatever it's called)

I installed JaS 10.4.6 Install dvd with NO options as my disk could not be read at the 10.4.6 patch,

You must choose some options. If you skip the 10.4.6 patch, you won't get a final 10.4.6 installation, but this isn't critical. But you must choose between Intel SSE2 or Intel SSE3 depending upon the capability of your processor. And it wouldn't hurt to scroll down and select the wireless patch.

I also cannot find the Jas 10.4.6 install dvd patch for the ATI / ATA combo, i am not a member of demontorrent (or whatever it's called)

There are threads on this forum for asking for invites to the Demonoid.com site. You can search for the PPF1 patch there. But you install the patch against the 10.4.6 JaS iso to produce a new patched iso that you need to burn and install. It is not a patch for an already installed system.

I tried:

but I get:

command not found

BTW, the command you should have tried is: sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (notice the "r")

Then you use the "print" command to list the partitions and use the "select #" to select the partition you want (where # is the number of the partition displayed in the print command).

• 1 month later...
There are threads on this forum for asking for invites to the Demonoid.com site. You can search for the PPF1 patch there. But you install the patch against the 10.4.6 JaS iso to produce a new patched iso that you need to burn and install. It is not a patch for an already installed system.select the partition you want (where # is the number of the partition displayed in the print command).

i got the exactly same problem as what reserves does...

and i come to the stage how to apply the patch...

i search thru the whole forum still can't find a guide to teach how to apply the patch...

can u teach me in details?

thx

Inside the PPF1 patch package is a program called ppf-o-matic. There are versions for Windows, OSX and Java. The OSX version crashed for me, so I ran the Java versio.

Run ppf-o-matic. Tell it where the patch ppf file is. Tell it where the bin (iso) is. It will then make a new iso with the patch installed. Burn the new iso and install with that.

I have read *all* the posts here and I guessed it might be because my partition was not "active" so I checked using my UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and it *is* set as active.

I tried to use Terminal to set this as well just in case with the following command:

fdisk -e /dev/disk0s2

but get the following error:

fdisk /dev/disk0s2: Resource Busy

I tried:

but I get:

command not found

When I boot onto the osX CD using F8 my hard drive is nowhere to be seen.

Can someone please offer a suggestion?

--------------------

Dell Inspiron 8600

ATI 9600 Card

Pentium M 2.0ghz (Dothan)

Truemobile 1300 card

ATA Drive

I installed JaS 10.4.6 Install dvd with NO options as my disk could not be read at the 10.4.6 patch, I don't think this is the error though, because I assume this would not stop the hard drive being read. I cannot get hold of another DVD disk until tomorrow :D

---------------------

Please help, thanks in advance

Rich

Hi Rich,

Are you using the HOTiSO 10.4.6 installation DVD?

I have tried that too. Let me tell you my story.

I did a native installation, everything's fine until it reaches the 9x% of the overall installation.

The screen says that it's installing the 10.4.6 combo patch. But after some moments, it says it is encountering some problem during the installation and asking you to reinstall the whole thing all over again.

Is that your case? If it is.. I think you don't have to try any further, 'coz you won't ever succeed without ticking the 10.4.6 combo update in the Customization page. You MUST have it ticked!

Then.. I grabbed a 10.4.7 installation DVD by JaS, and decided to install thru the VMware to native way. All went well, MacOSX running normally on VMware now. The only thing that is keeping me behind is that it still couldn't boot up natively.. stopped at some "waiting on............ boot_uuid_media" line...

anyway, i'm sure that everything has been installed into the harddisk physically coz I could see all the MacOSX files in windows thru MacDrive now. The only issue left is booting..

Hope the above story gives you some inspiration.

Good luck and keep trying,

Leo :)

Inside the PPF1 patch package is a program called ppf-o-matic. There are versions for Windows, OSX and Java. The OSX version crashed for me, so I ran the Java versio.

Run ppf-o-matic. Tell it where the patch ppf file is. Tell it where the bin (iso) is. It will then make a new iso with the patch installed. Burn the new iso and install with that.

thx for ur instructions... i got the PPF1 patch apply...

but how can i apply for the JaS.10.4.8.SSE2.Intel.Only.Combo.Update? i can't see the ppf file in it...

• 8 months later...
JaS 10.4.6 Install dvd

I have trouble with 10.4.6, first after booting on DVD i work fine till the end of the installation, after the installation (after finish up)the computer will ask you and count to restart, then after it restart (no more DVD on the drive) it boots then the darwin screen shows then with option after I press enter or -v it load a lot of continues text I only see (loading HFS etc. etc.) then after a while a blank screen will apear after that it will start all over again then same as the start the darwin shows and so aon and so forth, i ve try to install it 10 times i also try to intall the ugrade but still I get the same error again and again. is there a solution with this problem? hope you can help me Jas. this is my computer specs as follows:

Intel 915GAG (LGA 775) mother board with built in sound and video card and lan

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz processor with hyperthreading

ATI radeon se-Rx300 videocard PCI express

512 RAM kingston

80Gig Seagate SATA Hard drive

LG CD/DVD Combo drive

my PC is capable of mx,sse,sse2 and sse3. as some article required this

at first I use 2 partition, partitiona and partitionb but still doesnt work, then I use no partition but i still get the same error. I want my PC to be plainly mac and no windows xp on it if it is possible.

hope you can answer my promblem and others with same problems.

thank you.

• 7 months later...

hi i just got a new custom bulit AMD system here the specs

AMD Athalon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHZ

ASROCK ALIVE NF6G MAINBOARD

SATA DVD ROM DRIVE

80GIG IDE HDD

40GIG SATA HDD

NVIDIA 7200GS GRAPHICS CARD

REALTEK HD AUIDO

3GIG OR RAM

i am have a problems getting the 10.4.8 and the 10.4.6 dvd to boot on my pc , its telling me to hold down the power button and restart my pc for some reason. but i can get it to install on vmware ace worksation 6 fine and getting auido nic card and mouse , keyboard , and program to run fine. but i cant do a native install. please please can some one help i want os x bad i hate windows and linux. soz for jumping in on the forum.

thanks

navskin :unsure: