HOW TO - INTEL GMA X3100 FULLY working!With Dual Monitor!

tim025

50 posts in this topic

Thank you so much!

Thinkpad T61 7658

GMA X3100

Vendor: 0x8086

Device: 0x2a02

Revision: 0x000c

I've got corrupted screen since day one of my retail install and now with SwitchResX it is fixed. QE and CI work, dual screen works, and sleep works too. Some funny things happen during monitor switching but nothing major. Now I can set screensaver, use keynote and pages, play movies (although sound skipping is another issue).

Thanks again for your time

one more success !!! :)

i think this post should be "sticked" as a lot more people will be gracefull to find this new post , the lazy people that only read stick treahds... i dont know the politics to make this a stick, but with 100% success its a good choice to put it there.

Thank you for sending the files tim025. I am happy to report that for the first time, my VAIO (CR420E) displays native resolution :( but still no QE/CI(software only) :blink: .

Any one have any idea why I am not getting QE/CI?

VAIO VGN-CR420E

iDeneb 10.5.5 fresh install

X3100.jpg

Thank you for sending the files tim025. I am happy to report that for the first time, my VAIO (CR420E) displays native resolution :dev: but still no QE/CI(software only) :police: .

Any one have any idea why I am not getting QE/CI?

VAIO VGN-CR420E

iDeneb 10.5.5 fresh install

X3100.jpg

i really dont know.. try search for a way to enable QE/CI...

all the best i wish you luck!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took me a long time to find the correct set of kexts to work out...

1. A second monitor is not actually required to get this working... just turn of voiceover(command f5 by default) and move around till you find yourself at the apple menu and just get to the displays pref from there and change the resolution....

2. You guys shouldnt use SwitchResX well because its not free. when you find your monitors resolution just a simple

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

add your resolution for example mine was

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32@60</string>

and then you will be able to select it after a reboot...

and if anybody wants know which kexts i used, i got `em from Michael Spoli signature...

other than that good tutorial and thx for the help :)

Edit: This is on my Sony vaio vgn-cr320e hope someone find this useful....

amazing work you guys.

so i tried all the different packages for gma kexts and it all just dumps me onto the black screen on boot. cannot do the sleep trick, sleep corner trick. it somehow doesnt work

using GMA X3100

Vendor: 0x8086

Device: 0x2a02

Revision: 0x000c

it is able to display at the right resolution for my laptop (1280x800) even if i use -x

but once i install the kexts, i'll get the black screen with a 2 mouse pointers. the voice commands do not work either.(giving garbage)

could it be my opengl version as i read somewhere? i believe i'm using 10.5.9

on ideneb v1.4 10.5.6

thanks in advance for any help!

btw guys, i solved the problem. it works perfectly without any need for sleep trick whatsoever. basically for ideneb v1.4 users, u can just download the latest kexts and be sure to install natit.kext because without it, nothing will appear on your laptop screen. with it, it works perfectly.

first of all im get this working after 6 /7 months of hard reading. so i will not be posting kextx , plugins and stuff..

everyone who read the Milions posts about GMA x3100 knows where to get the trick combination of kexts..

and its a trial and error searching journey to get the combination that works for you......get used to single user and terminal basics commands as this will help not screw your system in every try.

so you are getting blank/black strange psychedelic distorted scream after boot with the kexts and natits that you try?? i was having this issues too for many , many months...now im playing games with toast running without any problems..dvd plug and play..FINALLY, TODAY I GOT THIS !! ALELUIA

so no more talking lets see how to make this happen :

1- just install the combination of kextx with kext helper app. repair permissions and reboot with -f , just in case. get your white/black psychedelic cubist scrambled scream for the last time in your life... the trick is :

2-Reboot with one external monitor attached on your laptop, if you dont have one get one for one day of a friend , if your laptop dont have and external monitor plug, welll, than i dont know how to do it and you must leave this post with no more reading...

3-after reboot u must be able to see the background image of your desktop on the external monitor , and your lap top will have black/white scrambled scream , if you dont see nothing,the combination of kextx and natit is not working for your hardware/laptop..try other combinations around this forum.

ps :if you see the background image on the external monitor go further, you will notice that the image is at LEAST twice big as it should so you will not be able to see the dock, finder and stuff like your hds, desktop files etc.....

4-click shift+alt+u to open system utilities it should open on your scream, if dont, i really dont know how to make it open on your visible part of the scream.. an exemple of possible issue,for me i use 4 spaces the sistem profiler open in an part of the desktop that im not able to get there to read..but system utilities does shows up in the right spot.. :(

5- Inside system utilities find display ,something like that, and run it , if you dont find use the search bar on your upper right ...the Display is the tool located at system preferences.. its easy to find with the search bar its icon is a light interuptor switch.pratice some search... :) INSIDE THIS TOOL CLICK "GATHER WINDOWS"to give you the both displays changing tool to one scream,in this case your external monitor thats is the one is working for now :)

6-Now its time to change the resolution of your INTERNAL display (on my it was at 800x600 and that was all the troubles with the scrambled screams nothing more, just that.... sleep trick,strings,edid blablabla my ^$)change the reso. to one that your laptop supports, you should find it by your own ... mine was 1280x724x70 the only available close to the native one... your internal display should work after applying a resolution that its support on the display utility..... mine was with artifacts and distorted, but we will get done with this later at step 8!

7-Remove your external monitor cable and reboot with your finger at the power button for 5 seconds than turn it on again...

8-Now you will be able to boot in your osx and see the artifacts of the wrong reso. setting but already with quartz support etc(in my case i have artifacts because my resolution should be set as 1280x800x60), now to get done with the artifacts you need to install SwitchResX and make a custom resolution for you laptop save it and apply ... reboot and VOILA you have 100% working videocard with ALMOST NO ARTIFACTS...

just my mouse is slower because of natit PLEASE ANYONE WITH SOME TIP IN THIS TOPIC??? and sometimes at some boot (i will say 1 in 5 boots),the artifacts became quite bad for icons (just for icons, and sometimes for dock icons) a reboot will solve this.... a reboot and 100% running system not quite a biiig trouble !!!!!

PS !!!!: This, maybe, cannot solve your problems, im not responsible for nothing that anyone can do to an OS, you should try this at your own risk, learn terminal basics that you will have no worries to do anything i tell here..........................

thats what i do and it worked, you can try....but be aware this can really make things work! if you are without ideas i got one for ya people! heheheh :) ALL THE BEST and KEEP OSX86 project ALIVE

thanks talk soon.... this was my first post after read million posts .. and my english is terrible sorry for that.. but i had to share my victory with other members and readers here... thats a must do in any forum share your victorys share your knowlodge, make it stronger.

MERRY Christmas and a Great new Year for everyone... now you can play the dvd you recorded on your trip with family or friends, right on your hackintosh!!! :)

EDIT 1 - STEP 5 updated !!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2 - Screamshot of dual monitor with game running on internal and system profile on external..

Hi tim025. Great work! I was wondering if there was any possibility to make work dual monitors with the s-video output for the x3100 graphic chipset.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

booger_sniffer5000, could you please share the whole bundle of tim025's kexts ? i think i'm seeing similar things like you did. thanks !

THANK YOU SO MUCH TIM025!!!!!! After 3 months of hard work trying to get this graphics card to work, your solution worked PERFECTLY, using your kexts, everything went as planned. However, something I might want to note is that instead of repairing permissions, I did chmod and chown on each kext file I installed, which by the way, included AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext if anybody was wondering. Thank you again, however, I need sleep trick and I will use DSDT patching to fix that. Thanks a TON! ;)

EDIT: Yep, DSDT Patching works!!! I don't have to use the sleep trick anymore! Oh, and BTW, I don't seem to have the mouse problems that you do, my mouse is very responsive.

EDIT2: Sleep seems to be working flawlessly too! :o

first of all im get this working after 6 /7 months of hard reading. so i will not be posting kextx , plugins and stuff..

everyone who read the Milions posts about GMA x3100 knows where to get the trick combination of kexts..

and its a trial and error searching journey to get the combination that works for you......get used to single user and terminal basics commands as this will help not screw your system in every try.

so you are getting blank/black strange psychedelic distorted scream after boot with the kexts and natits that you try?? i was having this issues too for many , many months...now im playing games with toast running without any problems..dvd plug and play..FINALLY, TODAY I GOT THIS !! ALELUIA

so no more talking lets see how to make this happen :

1- just install the combination of kextx with kext helper app. repair permissions and reboot with -f , just in case. get your white/black psychedelic cubist scrambled scream for the last time in your life... the trick is :

2-Reboot with one external monitor attached on your laptop, if you dont have one get one for one day of a friend , if your laptop dont have and external monitor plug, welll, than i dont know how to do it and you must leave this post with no more reading...

3-after reboot u must be able to see the background image of your desktop on the external monitor , and your lap top will have black/white scrambled scream , if you dont see nothing,the combination of kextx and natit is not working for your hardware/laptop..try other combinations around this forum.

ps :if you see the background image on the external monitor go further, you will notice that the image is at LEAST twice big as it should so you will not be able to see the dock, finder and stuff like your hds, desktop files etc.....

4-click shift+alt+u to open system utilities it should open on your scream, if dont, i really dont know how to make it open on your visible part of the scream.. an exemple of possible issue,for me i use 4 spaces the sistem profiler open in an part of the desktop that im not able to get there to read..but system utilities does shows up in the right spot.. :)

5- Inside system utilities find display ,something like that, and run it , if you dont find use the search bar on your upper right ...the Display is the tool located at system preferences.. its easy to find with the search bar its icon is a light interuptor switch.pratice some search... :thumbsup_anim: INSIDE THIS TOOL CLICK "GATHER WINDOWS"to give you the both displays changing tool to one scream,in this case your external monitor thats is the one is working for now :censored2:

6-Now its time to change the resolution of your INTERNAL display (on my it was at 800x600 and that was all the troubles with the scrambled screams nothing more, just that.... sleep trick,strings,edid blablabla my ^$)change the reso. to one that your laptop supports, you should find it by your own ... mine was 1280x724x70 the only available close to the native one... your internal display should work after applying a resolution that its support on the display utility..... mine was with artifacts and distorted, but we will get done with this later at step 8!

7-Remove your external monitor cable and reboot with your finger at the power button for 5 seconds than turn it on again...

8-Now you will be able to boot in your osx and see the artifacts of the wrong reso. setting but already with quartz support etc(in my case i have artifacts because my resolution should be set as 1280x800x60), now to get done with the artifacts you need to install SwitchResX and make a custom resolution for you laptop save it and apply ... reboot and VOILA you have 100% working videocard with ALMOST NO ARTIFACTS...

just my mouse is slower because of natit PLEASE ANYONE WITH SOME TIP IN THIS TOPIC??? and sometimes at some boot (i will say 1 in 5 boots),the artifacts became quite bad for icons (just for icons, and sometimes for dock icons) a reboot will solve this.... a reboot and 100% running system not quite a biiig trouble !!!!!

PS !!!!: This, maybe, cannot solve your problems, im not responsible for nothing that anyone can do to an OS, you should try this at your own risk, learn terminal basics that you will have no worries to do anything i tell here..........................

thats what i do and it worked, you can try....but be aware this can really make things work! if you are without ideas i got one for ya people! heheheh :whistle: ALL THE BEST and KEEP OSX86 project ALIVE

thanks talk soon.... this was my first post after read million posts .. and my english is terrible sorry for that.. but i had to share my victory with other members and readers here... thats a must do in any forum share your victorys share your knowlodge, make it stronger.

MERRY Christmas and a Great new Year for everyone... now you can play the dvd you recorded on your trip with family or friends, right on your hackintosh!!! :)

EDIT 1 - STEP 5 updated !!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2 - Screamshot of dual monitor with game running on internal and system profile on external..

Thanks I finnaly made it.How ever there is a white glitch line at the bottom of my screen above the dock.Any guide to remove it

How to install the combination of kextx with kext helper app. repair permissions ??

I have Vaio CR220E and got problem on my screen (white and black) after installing XxX X86 10.5.6??

Thx

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Damn... I have been reading many posts with some links to the real X3100 kexts and every damn link lead me to a dead page... are u talkin about the allen x3100 kexts?... im almost sick of searching those kexts -.- i have a vaio vgn nr948d with 965 X3100 intel graphics and all i could get is a 1024 x 768 not expandes resolution, which leads to a duplicated task bar in the low and black to the right... damn u.u

Could someone lead me to THE KEXTS please? :(

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way to get 1280x800 working in native mode without the use of switchresx?? This is only a semi fix as games that use graphics discretely put my screen into white/psycho display. Without using Switchresx Im stuck at 1280x768 which leaves the bottom of my screen in no mans land. Why isn't there a fix that brings the proper res without the use of SwitchResX? I have a sony vgn-cr205e.

Thanks in advance.

Took me a long time to find the correct set of kexts to work out...

1. A second monitor is not actually required to get this working... just turn of voiceover(command f5 by default) and move around till you find yourself at the apple menu and just get to the displays pref from there and change the resolution....

2. You guys shouldnt use SwitchResX well because its not free. when you find your monitors resolution just a simple

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

add your resolution for example mine was

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32@60</string>

and then you will be able to select it after a reboot...

and if anybody wants know which kexts i used, i got `em from Michael Spoli signature...

other than that good tutorial and thx for the help :)

Edit: This is on my Sony vaio vgn-cr320e hope someone find this useful....

This didn't work for me. I tried every derivation of Graphics Mode as well in the Boot.plist. ie

As a kernel Flag "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32@58"

as <key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32@58</string>

both with and without the @58 and as well @60-- nothing made a difference -- it was like it had no effect whatsoever. I was still stuck at 1280x768 once the leopard loaded. I also did a ?video at boot and vesa 3 is supported with 1280x800x32 = mode 165 supported.

I'm stuck I give up and have had to go back to switchresX which sucks since games which use discreet graphics still send the monitor into plasma psycho mode. What could I possibly be missing for the Graphics Mode key to not work? QE/CI is all functional.

model: sony vaio VGN-CR205e

video: x3100 0xa2a02 rev 0x000c

• 1 month later...