NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

The May 20th pack says that front mic isn't working. Has this been resolved? For me, it's working fine at the moment. Also, which kexts are needed when upgrading? The ones in the pack seem to be required for a clean install.

Yes, as Eliade mentions he's put 4 different sound option kext "packages" in his main pack. The one I use to get digital audio (toslink) is the yellow pack (The "3outs/2ins digital regular headphones"). You will get output from the digital out optical jacks in the back of the motherboard using those. So I'm pretty sure the coax will work as well.

Make sure you select Digital Out in your System Preferences.

I should also add, since we're talking about audio, that regardless of your Hackintosh it seems that setting it to the MacPro (versus the iMac) in the smbios.plist within the /Extra folder seems to resolve some audio issues (namely the popping sound some people get). If you've read through this entire thread you probably know how to do this but the quick answer is to have the following (or any of the MacPro ones available) in that file:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	 <string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>
	 <string>MacPro3,1</string>

If I read though the entire thread I'd be dead from exhaustion! ;)

I thought Eliade said digital out worked just wanted to be sure someone actually had it working.

How about surround sound? Does that work digital or analog?

Sorry if it's come up but search has never worked for me on insanelymac

How about surround sound? Does that work digital or analog?

Yes, I use digital out and the movies I've ripped with Handbrake appear to be kicking it out in Dolby Surround.

The sound pack I use are the yellow ones: "Legacy 3outs2ins digital regualr (sic) headphone"

I'm trying out Eliade's pack for 1.5.7. and at the end of his post he says to: and use -f in the apple.boot.plist (or you won't get everything working)

Where in the apple.boot.plist do I put that?

Sorry if it's been asked but search still doesn't work.

This is the one in the /Extra folder at your root. Although the pack Eliade assembled from everyone is without question the most complete and best solution, it is true the instructions are not as complete as they could be. When I get the time I'll try to augment them a bit.

It's a good idea to make a copy of your apple.boot.plist just in case, and you'll need to edit the file from the desktop (using textedit is fine) before dropping it back into the /Extra folder. It will also ask you to "Authenticate" when you try to put it into the folder. Just click Authenticate and enter your password.

Hey all,

well I'm addressing especially to the more regulars to this thread

gmacman, bigpoppa206, etc...

do you think we should create a new thread for our board, close this one (ask a moderator to do that) after we link to the new one as a last post in this one...

cause there's a lot of repeating question, skx is not here anymore, he had great info at first but now it's "very" outdated....

I would post my big long post with the pack on the first post

then YOU regulars, should post right away for future use so that you have a space on the first page of the thread for people to read...

let me know just throwing the idea...

I'm never going to leave this thread, I might be absent once and a while when busy, but when something big happens (updates, or snow leopard), I will always be back, because I don't use windows (I do computer help on the side, and hate it more and more), and linux has none of the software I need (photoshop, maya, dreamweaver, etc...), so I'm sticking to a Mac/hachintosh forever (or until the day I can afford a MacPro, which is not going to happen soon, mac laptop doesn't count cause I need a multi-monitor workhorse)

The May 20th pack says that front mic isn't working. Has this been resolved? For me, it's working fine at the moment. Also, which kexts are needed when upgrading? The ones in the pack seem to be required for a clean install.

This sort of depends on your specific system requirements (i.e., IDE usage, etc.). However, technically it really doesn't matter if you do a clean install or mere update. It is safer to use all the kext required by your specific setup. So clearly all the kext in the BASICS folder are required as is one of the SHUTDOWN FIX solutions offered. In the Optional Kext folder whatever you require (sound, etc.).

As far as the microphone I'm afraid I have not tested this and so I don't know.

I believe it is vital to have a second partition in which you have a cloned copy of your boot disk. In that way you could clone your existing boot drive and then do the update and changes and if something does not work for you, you can always migrate back to 10.5.6.

Yes this thread had run it's course. If [new] people would just read the thread they wouldn't have to post any more questions. I thought you should have spawned a new thread about 20 pages back actually...

There's already a new thread about the "P45-UD3" though, so it's getting redundant

Hey all,

well I'm addressing especially to the more regulars to this thread

gmacman, bigpoppa206, etc...

do you think we should create a new thread for our board, close this one (ask a moderator to do that) after we link to the new one as a last post in this one...

cause there's a lot of repeating question, skx is not here anymore, he had great info at first but now it's "very" outdated....

I would post my big long post with the pack on the first post

then YOU regulars, should post right away for future use so that you have a space on the first page of the thread for people to read...

let me know just throwing the idea...

I'm never going to leave this thread, I might be absent once and a while when busy, but when something big happens (updates, or snow leopard), I will always be back, because I don't use windows (I do computer help on the side, and hate it more and more), and linux has none of the software I need (photoshop, maya, dreamweaver, etc...), so I'm sticking to a Mac/hachintosh forever (or until the day I can afford a MacPro, which is not going to happen soon, mac laptop doesn't count cause I need a multi-monitor workhorse)

I think it's great idea. It pretty obvious that especially for the newcomers this one is getting so long it's hard for them to catch up to your current pack. Which at this point is (IMO) the starting point for all installs.

Hi all

the first post in this thread being outdated

and my pack being lost in this thread

we decided to move to this new thread

see you there...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174385

----------

DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD ANYMORE

move on to the new one for whatever question you may have

but if you are willing to read all this thread it is full of very good information

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Greece.

I have bought this superb mobo and I am planning to install ideneb 10.5.7 (not the combo update disk). Which are the settings for the mobo (kernel, patches etc) for this distribution? Has anyone tried it?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello from Greece.

I have bought this superb mobo and I am planning to install ideneb 10.5.7 (not the combo update disk). Which are the settings for the mobo (kernel, patches etc) for this distribution? Has anyone tried it?

DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD ANYMORE

move on to the new one for whatever question you may have

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174385

• 4 weeks later...

i search and search and search for good specs to can set up mac on pc

and edit and make graphic and render videos by final cut and motion and color and many graphic programs like after effects and maya

but i afraid from the pc after paying specs to will be bad performance in these programs

so advice me please for these components to run these programs in good way and edit my documentary in it

just wanted suitable and cheap specs

GIGABYTE EP45 - UD3R

Q 6600 Core 2 Qude 2.4 G / 8M PC 1066

XFX 8600GT 256MB DDR3

Kingston HyperX DDR2 2GB bus 1066MHz

Western Digital 500GB AACS 16M Cache SATAII

DVD W -ASUS X20 SATA

Power supply 500 w

• 4 weeks later...

i hate to revive old threads, but a lot of people here have sleep working on their boards, so i ask,

can the people whose ep45-ud3r's can sleep post either bios settings and or/smbios. cos mine used to work. then i went retail. and it just wont sleep.

the monitor goes off, and the usb devices unmount. but the pc is still on, and cant be awoken. i have to hard reset it, and im greeted by the bios.

ignore my sig, ive yet to update it.

specs are

vanilla install 10.5.8

Q9950

8800 gts SC

ep45-ud3r

id really like to find out why the option is there sometimes but gone later.

also the "enable this computer to recover after a power loss" (SIC) option is missing from energy save, and ive been told that this has something to do with sleep working and what not.

also- a moot point but, when i was on voodoo kernel. my cpu was shown perfect in system profiler it even had the correct l2 cache listed. "6mb per core pair" i think it was. the vanilla kernel just shows 6mb, so does this mean that osx is seeing only one pair of cores cache and using that. or is it just system profiler being dumb. is there a way of seeing if the full 12mb cache is recognized. cos my geek-bench score is less than my old AMD 6400x2

i hate to revive old threads, but a lot of people here have sleep working on their boards, so i ask,

can the people whose ep45-ud3r's can sleep post either bios settings and or/smbios. cos mine used to work. then i went retail. and it just wont sleep.

the monitor goes off, and the usb devices unmount. but the pc is still on, and cant be awoken. i have to hard reset it, and im greeted by the bios.

ignore my sig, ive yet to update it.

specs are

vanilla install 10.5.8

Q9950

8800 gts SC

ep45-ud3r

id really like to find out why the option is there sometimes but gone later.

also the "enable this computer to recover after a power loss" (SIC) option is missing from energy save, and ive been told that this has something to do with sleep working and what not.

also- a moot point but, when i was on voodoo kernel. my cpu was shown perfect in system profiler it even had the correct l2 cache listed. "6mb per core pair" i think it was. the vanilla kernel just shows 6mb, so does this mean that osx is seeing only one pair of cores cache and using that. or is it just system profiler being dumb. is there a way of seeing if the full 12mb cache is recognized. cos my geek-bench score is less than my old AMD 6400x2

But do you have a working DSDT file? I am over in the Snow Leopard threads and they have everything almost completely fixed due to proper DSDT.aml files made for our boards. You have to make them and really should investigate it further. Good luck.

But do you have a working DSDT file? I am over in the Snow Leopard threads and they have everything almost completely fixed due to proper DSDT.aml files made for our boards. You have to make them and really should investigate it further. Good luck.

im not sure if my dsdt is correctly patched or not tbh, i dont know of a way to check. my audio works, and i thought dsdt had something to do with it.

but none the less, i found the solution to my problem, i remover disabler.kext and the appleintelcpu**blahblah*disabler.kext too, and my sleep worked fine, until yesterday.

i have a new problem, now when my pc goes to sleep, the monitor doesnt wake up again. i think maybe it has something to do with my screensaver never coming on, so i used the screensaver fix, this did nothing and now it seems the lcd doesnt wanna turn back on.

thanks for the reply.

• 3 weeks later...
Have any of you tried to do the apple update to 10.5.8?

mine worked, albeit with one caveat.

if i'm running utorrent, after a random time i'll get a kp

if i check with console it gives me a "throttling in 9 seconds" message, it counts down down to 3, then it panics.

i don't remember it doing it with 10.5.6

• 2 months later...
Hi Guys! Thanks to skx for linking me to this thread and attaching the drivers I used for this mobo. I installed with the boot-132 method, using grub-dfe.iso and netkas' PCEFI_v9. The kexts I've used were the ones in skx's earlier posts linking to my posts.

Everything works great, except for 1 problem I'm having. Whenever I do a large data transfer to another hard drive (NTFS) it takes WAY too long!! I tried transferring 17GB of data from the OS X Hard drive to the Data hard drive, and it said it would take 12 hours!! But maybe that is just a reported estimation and it could be wrong, right? So I let the transfer process go on anyway, but 5 hours later it was still not done, so I just canceled it. This is a serious problem for me and I need to fix it, does this happen to anyone else here?

If that one problem is fixed, I think we'll have a 100% functional OS X installation.

P.S. I noticed that you guys have problems with the hard drive icons showing as External drives. I did not have that problem with my kexts. Every hard drive showed as Native right out of the box (even with grub-dfe.iso). However, I am having the slow file transfer speeds problems. Just a peice of information I wanted to share with the community so we can figure out something for the best for all of us using this board. ;)

the chameleon loader solves the file transfer issue with ntfs