• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

xopher

xopher

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Unless you have masses of power hungry devices the 430 should actually be fine. Neither of my Hackintoshes uses the power directly to the graphics card (and in one I have a 9400GT which is similar to your 9600). And you mentioned that once you removed the extra power everything worked, so quite frankly I believe that is your solution. Not quite sure what you mean by running "have speed". My 9400 is running with full power and providing CI/QE/GL:

nVidia GeForce 9400 GT:

Chipset Model:	nVidia GeForce 9400 GT
  Type:	Display
  Bus:	PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	512 MB
  Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:	0x0641
  Revision ID:	0x00a1
  ROM Revision:	nVidia GeForce 9400 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]
  Displays:
SyncMaster:
  Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
  Depth:	32-Bit Color
  Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Quartz Extreme:	Supported
  Rotation:	Supported
  QuartzGL:	Supported
Display Connector:

Well, unplugging the pci-e power cord lowers the clocks on the 9600GT, effectively decreasing the performance of the hack. Xbenches OpenGL test showed an almost 65% decrease.

Another thing that occurs when running 3D-graphics, is a weird high pitch noise. And, it's not the fan, because there is none. This is reproduced by running eg the opelgl extensions viewer test. Funny is, that depending on the veesion of opengl the test runs, the sound changes.

Any input on this matter is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone, so I apologize if the text isn't perfect :-)

Terc

Terc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Couldn't agree more - retail disk install is the only way to go. And if you don't know or aren't prepared to learn the basics of what is going on under the hood, then you should either buy a real Mac or stick to Windows.

Windows or Linux! :wacko:

thebestguru333

thebestguru333

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys.... i have had mac working on this board really really nicely. I almost forgot it was meant for windows. However, i recently just applied all the updates including 10.5.7 without doing anything and then i kind of remembered i have a hackintosh.... anyways... after the restart, it loaded up but i realized my sound stopped working. I just realized this now i dont know what else is not going to be working so if someone can help me out that would be great.

ep45 ud3r
q8200
9500gt
onboard sound (i used to have more devices to choose from under output in the preferences for sound but now i only have 3 and none of these work)

What do i have to do to get sound working again and also what other things should i take into account now that i updated to 10.5.7.

Thanks for your help

nano2nd

nano2nd

Monkey See, Monkey Do

• Retired
  • 190 posts

Hey guys.... i have had mac working on this board really really nicely. I almost forgot it was meant for windows. However, i recently just applied all the updates including 10.5.7 without doing anything and then i kind of remembered i have a hackintosh.... anyways... after the restart, it loaded up but i realized my sound stopped working. I just realized this now i dont know what else is not going to be working so if someone can help me out that would be great.

ep45 ud3r
q8200
9500gt
onboard sound (i used to have more devices to choose from under output in the preferences for sound but now i only have 3 and none of these work)

What do i have to do to get sound working again and also what other things should i take into account now that i updated to 10.5.7.

Thanks for your help

Sigh. Have you even actually read this thread? The kexts in the May 20th pack work fine with 10.5.7. Suggest you check your /Extra folder and maybe rebuild your kext cache. I would have thought this was fairly obvious for "the best guru" :unsure:

gmacman

gmacman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Well, unplugging the pci-e power cord lowers the clocks on the 9600GT, effectively decreasing the performance of the hack.

I only use my computer for regular stuff (very few games) and things like Final Cut Pro, Aperture, Handbrake, etc. So I'm afraid I don't quite understand this nor it's effects. Perhaps you can check on the hardware specific forum (the one for graphics cards I mean).

eightyhertz

eightyhertz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to say thanks for this thread, it's been extremely helpful for this n00b trying to do a first install.

However, I'm encountering video anomalies and corruption similar to those quoted below, with windows leaving trails and scrolling problems. It occurs when I either update to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7. I followed Eliade's instructions and did a vanilla install with OSX 10.5 disc and grub-dfe. Additionally, the resolution remains at 1024x768 and i can't change it.

I am using a GeForce 9500GT 512MB. I obtained the gfx card string from the ROM i downloaded from the gigabyte site, and I used NVCAP Maker 1.4 to get the string. I used Uinstaller to enter the custom string.

Will appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks in advance.

My system specs are:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard rev1.1 (how do you check the BIOS version?)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0Ghz
GSKILL 4GB DDR2 1066mhz RAM
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 SATA HDD
GIGABYTE GV-N95TD3-512I GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128bit GDDR3 gfx card

Hey dude, these issues with open windows leaving trails and pages not scrolling properly are just the standard issues you will get until you install the graphics card properly. Both of the GFX cards you listed work very well. I would recommend using either UInstaller or OSX86Tools to install your GFX card string (on a clean install before doing anything else!) and not NVInject because in my experience NVInject seems to override everything else (any other kexts etc)... AND doesn't work! So it's safer just to not install it & just use UInstaller / OSX86Tools.

Also, to get Chameleon to boot straight into OS X and not have the annoying screen where you have to select a drive etc... just use UInstaller / OSX86Tools to set your boot timeout to 5 seconds... Then when booting, it will load into OS X automatically after 5 seconds. Problem solved. :(

Chris1976

Chris1976

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
I haven't checked this board for a few weeks, so I don't know what's been going on. How is the 10.5.7 update working out for people? Are there any problems to work out still?
I'm on 10.5.6 (using retail OSX), and I wondered if it was worth the bother of updating. Right now, everything works (Time Machine, front and rear audio in/out, IDE DVD-ROM, dual-boot with Windows etc). Will updating ruin any of this?

Thanks

gmacman

gmacman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Right now, everything works (Time Machine, front and rear audio in/out, IDE DVD-ROM, dual-boot with Windows etc). Will updating ruin any of this?

Thanks

Yes

I'm on 10.5.6 (using retail OSX), and I wondered if it was worth the bother of updating.

And Yes

Although there are issues the improvements in dot updates from Apple are usually significantly beneficial and (IMO) always worth the update. Of course I speak from the Mac point of view. However, find the latest pack (May 20th) should make sure everything essential works.

I don't do windows so I can't comment on the dual-boot stuff.

Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to say thanks for this thread, it's been extremely helpful for this n00b trying to do a first install.

However, I'm encountering video anomalies and corruption similar to those quoted below, with windows leaving trails and scrolling problems. It occurs when I either update to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7. I followed Eliade's instructions and did a vanilla install with OSX 10.5 disc and grub-dfe. Additionally, the resolution remains at 1024x768 and i can't change it.

I am using a GeForce 9500GT 512MB. I obtained the gfx card string from the ROM i downloaded from the gigabyte site, and I used NVCAP Maker 1.4 to get the string. I used Uinstaller to enter the custom string.

The first install is always the hardest. ;)

Now for the graphics issue. I wouldn't use the NVCAP but instead just use the string created from Uinstaller. So....

The safest way to do it is as follows (because the UInstaller by default will replace your com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder):

(1) Copy your original com.apple.Boot.plist to your desktop and rename it "com.apple.Boot.plist_original_vanilla" or something like that

(2) I'm assuming you are using Chameleon v2, so also copy your com.apple.Boot.plist that sits in the /Extra folder to your desktop and call that something like "com.apple.Boot.plist_Cham_backup"

These first two steps are just so you have backups in case something bad happens.

(3) Launch UInstaller and ONLY select the following:

First set the "Choose Hard Drive to apply to:" to be your boot up drive
Second select "Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)"
Third select "Apply EFI String for video card"
then on the pull down menu (at the very of the long list) select "Custom NVIDIA"

Now click Install

A pop up menu will come up after a few seconds (it will say something like "Please enter the name of your card..." and enter the following (EXACTLY as written, lower/upper case and the spaces too):

nVidia GeForce 9500 GT

click OK

It will then pop up another menu and select our memory for the card (512MB)

click OK again

Yet another pop up menu will come up and select the top one:

DVI-I/DVI-I

click OK

(4) You now have a modified com.apple.Boot.plist with the correct info for your video card and it should work perfectly. However to complete the process we must move the vanilla com.apple.Boot.plist back into the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. FIRST, once again copy the com.apple.Boot.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (remember this is now our modified one from UInstaller) to the desktop and call it "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one" or something like that.

(5) Rename the "com.apple.Boot.plist_original_vanilla" one from Step (1) to "com.apple.Boot.plist" and move it to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration you will need to type in your password (It may say "Authenticate" on the pop up menu so select that to enter your password).

(6) Open up both the "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one" and the "com.apple.Boot.plist_Cham_backup" one in textedit just to compare them.

The bottom of the new modified one will have a bunch of stuff that looks like this:
<key>device-properties</key>

<string>ab02000001000000020000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600001e0
01060000017fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e000000050000000160020000
d00000002010c00d041030a010000000101060000010101060000007fff04000e0000004e0056005
004d000000200000000100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000......

This is the EFI String stuff. But for Chameleon v2 and the pack of kexts we use for our board we also need to have the following near the top (the -f thing is very important to have but the Timeout thing you can change to whatever setting you wish, 1, 5, 10, etc.):

<key>-f</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>None</string>

If you're "com.apple.Boot.plist_Cham_backup" has this stuff you can just copy and paste it into the new "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one".

(7) Save the "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one" and then rename it back to "com.apple.Boot.plist" and then move it into the /Extra folder (again you may have to click "Authenticate" and put in your password.

(8) Reboot and everything should work just fine!

WhiteMonster

WhiteMonster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
If you don't have the original OSX installation disks... you can find distro's at: http://www.myhangoutonline.com and check in the OSx86 section... enjoy :)

lateralusman

lateralusman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Music, Video Games, Movies, Making Money
I'm trying out Eliade's pack for 1.5.7. and at the end of his post he says to: and use -f in the apple.boot.plist (or you won't get everything working)

Where in the apple.boot.plist do I put that?

Sorry if it's been asked but search still doesn't work.

Chris1976

Chris1976

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
The May 20th pack says that front mic isn't working. Has this been resolved? For me, it's working fine at the moment. Also, which kexts are needed when upgrading? The ones in the pack seem to be required for a clean install.

lateralusman

lateralusman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Music, Video Games, Movies, Making Money

Yes, as Eliade mentions he's put 4 different sound option kext "packages" in his main pack. The one I use to get digital audio (toslink) is the yellow pack (The "3outs/2ins digital regular headphones"). You will get output from the digital out optical jacks in the back of the motherboard using those. So I'm pretty sure the coax will work as well.

Make sure you select Digital Out in your System Preferences.

I should also add, since we're talking about audio, that regardless of your Hackintosh it seems that setting it to the MacPro (versus the iMac) in the smbios.plist within the /Extra folder seems to resolve some audio issues (namely the popping sound some people get). If you've read through this entire thread you probably know how to do this but the quick answer is to have the following (or any of the MacPro ones available) in that file:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>
		 <string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>
		 <string>MacPro3,1</string>

If I read though the entire thread I'd be dead from exhaustion! ;)

I thought Eliade said digital out worked just wanted to be sure someone actually had it working.
How about surround sound? Does that work digital or analog?

Sorry if it's come up but search has never worked for me on insanelymac

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

If I read though the entire thread I'd be dead from exhaustion! ;)

Or quite possibly better informed! :P

gmacman

gmacman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

How about surround sound? Does that work digital or analog?

Yes, I use digital out and the movies I've ripped with Handbrake appear to be kicking it out in Dolby Surround.

The sound pack I use are the yellow ones: "Legacy 3outs2ins digital regualr (sic) headphone"

I'm trying out Eliade's pack for 1.5.7. and at the end of his post he says to: and use -f in the apple.boot.plist (or you won't get everything working)

Where in the apple.boot.plist do I put that?

Sorry if it's been asked but search still doesn't work.

This is the one in the /Extra folder at your root. Although the pack Eliade assembled from everyone is without question the most complete and best solution, it is true the instructions are not as complete as they could be. When I get the time I'll try to augment them a bit.

It's a good idea to make a copy of your apple.boot.plist just in case, and you'll need to edit the file from the desktop (using textedit is fine) before dropping it back into the /Extra folder. It will also ask you to "Authenticate" when you try to put it into the folder. Just click Authenticate and enter your password.

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
Hey all,
well I'm addressing especially to the more regulars to this thread
gmacman, bigpoppa206, etc...

do you think we should create a new thread for our board, close this one (ask a moderator to do that) after we link to the new one as a last post in this one...
cause there's a lot of repeating question, skx is not here anymore, he had great info at first but now it's "very" outdated....

I would post my big long post with the pack on the first post
then YOU regulars, should post right away for future use so that you have a space on the first page of the thread for people to read...

let me know just throwing the idea...
I'm never going to leave this thread, I might be absent once and a while when busy, but when something big happens (updates, or snow leopard), I will always be back, because I don't use windows (I do computer help on the side, and hate it more and more), and linux has none of the software I need (photoshop, maya, dreamweaver, etc...), so I'm sticking to a Mac/hachintosh forever (or until the day I can afford a MacPro, which is not going to happen soon, mac laptop doesn't count cause I need a multi-monitor workhorse)

gmacman

gmacman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

The May 20th pack says that front mic isn't working. Has this been resolved? For me, it's working fine at the moment. Also, which kexts are needed when upgrading? The ones in the pack seem to be required for a clean install.

This sort of depends on your specific system requirements (i.e., IDE usage, etc.). However, technically it really doesn't matter if you do a clean install or mere update. It is safer to use all the kext required by your specific setup. So clearly all the kext in the BASICS folder are required as is one of the SHUTDOWN FIX solutions offered. In the Optional Kext folder whatever you require (sound, etc.).

As far as the microphone I'm afraid I have not tested this and so I don't know.

I believe it is vital to have a second partition in which you have a cloned copy of your boot disk. In that way you could clone your existing boot drive and then do the update and changes and if something does not work for you, you can always migrate back to 10.5.6.

seanmcd

seanmcd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yes this thread had run it's course. If [new] people would just read the thread they wouldn't have to post any more questions. I thought you should have spawned a new thread about 20 pages back actually...

There's already a new thread about the "P45-UD3" though, so it's getting redundant

gmacman

gmacman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Hey all,
well I'm addressing especially to the more regulars to this thread
gmacman, bigpoppa206, etc...

do you think we should create a new thread for our board, close this one (ask a moderator to do that) after we link to the new one as a last post in this one...
cause there's a lot of repeating question, skx is not here anymore, he had great info at first but now it's "very" outdated....

I would post my big long post with the pack on the first post
then YOU regulars, should post right away for future use so that you have a space on the first page of the thread for people to read...

let me know just throwing the idea...
I'm never going to leave this thread, I might be absent once and a while when busy, but when something big happens (updates, or snow leopard), I will always be back, because I don't use windows (I do computer help on the side, and hate it more and more), and linux has none of the software I need (photoshop, maya, dreamweaver, etc...), so I'm sticking to a Mac/hachintosh forever (or until the day I can afford a MacPro, which is not going to happen soon, mac laptop doesn't count cause I need a multi-monitor workhorse)

I think it's great idea. It pretty obvious that especially for the newcomers this one is getting so long it's hard for them to catch up to your current pack. Which at this point is (IMO) the starting point for all installs.

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
Hi all

the first post in this thread being outdated
and my pack being lost in this thread
we decided to move to this new thread

see you there...

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=174385

----------

DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD ANYMORE
move on to the new one for whatever question you may have

but if you are willing to read all this thread it is full of very good information

yiankap

yiankap

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello from Greece.

I have bought this superb mobo and I am planning to install ideneb 10.5.7 (not the combo update disk). Which are the settings for the mobo (kernel, patches etc) for this distribution? Has anyone tried it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy