NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

I booted using another boot-132 CD and got past the spinning beach ball during retail Leopard install, successfully installed retail Leopard 10.5.6, and now updated to 10.5.7. Still the same problem persists.

Can I conclude that the problem somehow lies in my graphic card setup? Because when I boot without the EFI string in com.boot.Apple.plist, stacks work without a hitch. If I'd try an injector, which one do you recommend? I'm still on the NVIDIA 9600GT 512MB.

EDIT: I forgot to enter my PSU into my H/W-info, it's a Nexus 430W Ultra Silent.

Thanks

OK, I think figured it out.

Removed the extra power cord from my GF 9600GT, so it would run 'half speed', it fixed the problem, and now everything's working smoothly.

The problem must be my underpowered PSU, guess the only thing a 430W is good for nowadays is a HTPC with an integrated 3D card.

So what I did was order a new 850W Nexus RX-8500 <15.5dB modular PSU :)

The very best to all of you,

Christoffer

post-153037-1246125780_thumb.png

I got everything to work except my 8800GT,

GeForce 8800 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8800 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0611

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Frustrating huh?

plus i had to remove nvdaresman.kext to even see the display! I have a EP45-UD3R too!

Spending tonight getting all the kinks worked out.

Here's my system:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

4gigs RAM / 1TB SATA HDD / IDE DVD+R / Zotac 7600GS video card

Here are some notable events so far:

First off--I've never seen a motherboard with an 8-pin CPU connector. Apparently these are common, except not all power supplies are wired for them. This board has one and absolutely requires that it's connected (in my experience today, using just a regular ATX12V 4-pin connector doesn't work, I get weird reboots and such.) I snagged a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter (just splits the 4 wires) and everything is great. Time for a new PSU anyways methinks.

Tried the boot-132/chameleon thing--not much luck, but then again, I'm on an IDE drive and using a DVD-DL burn of Leopard Retail--neither one bodes in my favor. I'm going to get ahold of a Leopard retail disk and try it.

I tried imaging the Leopard Retail DMG to a 16gig USB flash drive. Didn't want to boot on it's own. Installed Chameleon on it as well, booted to the Leopard galaxy splash screen and crashed. Every time.

I grabbed my USB DVD-ROM, bit the bullet, grabbed JaS 10.5.4, and went to install it.

No hard drives found.

Went to the BIOS, in Integrated Peripherals and set SATA RAID/IDE to AHCI -AND- the other SATA controller setting to AHCI down below. THEN it found the drives. Word to the wise: make sure your Hard Drive is connected to the YELLOW SATA connectors and not the PURPLE ones.

Loaded up the installed--checked the NVKush option for my 7600GS in Customize, and the installation crashed before it finished. Lame.

Reinstalled without customizing. Worked perfect.

Reboot. Desktop. Yay. No sound, no networking, and OSx86 tools tells me I need to update my JMicron driver (for my IDE devices).

NETWORKING: http://osx86tools.osx86.hu/RTGMac2.zip

JMICRON (IDE): http://osx86tools.osx86.hu/JMicron.zip

AUDIO:

Grab Latest_889a_AppleHDA.kext.zip AND HDAEnabler.kext.zip from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

EDIT: I've attached the kexts I've used now through my 10.5.4 -> 10.5.6 update. So far so good! Install disabler.kext if you plan on doing the update to 10.5.6. The NVkush I've included is for my eVGA 7200 GS.

So far so good. Updates to come.

EDIT: While *I* haven't personally had any problems with the IDE/JMicron ATA drivers I've posted, others HAVE, so I have attached the driver that supposedly has been fixed for RAM > 3gb. Hope this is of help!

I got everything to work except my 8800GT,

GeForce 8800 GT:

Frustrating huh?

plus i had to remove nvdaresman.kext to even see the display! I have a EP45-UD3R too!

This card works flawlessly in a Hackintosh. I own 3 of them! If you are using an injector, no need to. Just select the proper card with UInstaller from PCWiz and allow it to modify the EFI strings and you will be fine.

FYI, I just was able to shave off over 1 minute in OS bootup time by modifying one of my BIOS settings.

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode was Enabled. It should be set to DISABLED to get a 30 sec boot time. I'm also dual booting XP Pro and 10.5.7.

Hopefully nobody else made that mistake but check it out just in case.

So, by setting my SATA Port0-3 to DISABLED has been great. However, I noticed a weird side effect today. A friend burned a Mac MP3 CD for me and I wanted to copy the song on to the harddrive. On bootup, the Mac MP3 cd was in the primary dvd player. I got the circle with slash on the apple grey screen. I then did a -v boot and saw that it was "waiting for root device".

I then switch my bios setting SATA Port0-3 back to Enabled and rebooted without the MP3 CD in the player. It took 1.5 minutes to boot but it worked. I then set my bios SATA Port0-3 setting back to Disabled. Rebooted perfectly in 30 seconds.

I'm not sure what happened but having a mac mp3 cd in the drive at boot up messed up my OSX for a bit.

I had my build running great with 10.5.6 and then I stupidly decided

to update the bios to F9. Now when it won't boot into OS X and when I use

grub dfe and tell it to boot HD:80 it tells me the HD is a foreign OS and will not

boot. I even tried going back to F8 with the same resuts. Any ideas how to fix this??

Otherwise I'll have to reinstall the whole OS again from scratch. Anyone??

TIA,

jb

Here are my current kexts

Also attached is NVkush with the correct alterations for my eVGA 7200 GS for QE/CI and dual monitors.

P.S. The Zotac was defective. It's being RMA'd. Picked up the eVGA for cheap.

Hi all, Just wanted to say a MAJOR thank-you to SKX for providing the only (and I really do mean ONLY) kexts that enabled me to get a SINGLE peep out of the onboard AUDIO on my GA-EP45-UD3R.

Just wanted to ask: will these kexts also worked with 10.5.7?

Also, (@ SKX) these are with ALC889a right? (Although I am using the UD3R, I am not actually 100% sure which codec my board is using...)

Also also... what sound set up have you managed SKX? Are all ports working?

Finally, is there some delimiter or something that makes all the different AppleHDA / HDAEnabler kexts unique (like do you need to insert your own device ID / vendor ID into them) or something? Because whilst I am very grateful that SKX's audio kexts work, I just can't fathom why ALL of the other kexts I tried couldn't give me ANYTHING... I am thinking that I must have been missing something very elementary... (and it wasn't setting the audio to internal in the preferences because NONE of the other kexts would even allow me to do this...)

MANY cheers!!

Also, (@ SKX) these are with ALC889a right? (Although I am using the UD3R, I am not actually 100% sure which codec my board is using...)

For anyone wondering what their motherboard specs are, type in the model number and the word 'newegg' into Google and you will most likely find the page with specifications on it, even if the board has been discontinued.

I wished I knew what the native device audio set was for a Mac Pro motherboard. Often the only reason something does not work on our hackintoshes is that the kext cannot find the correct device IDs.

Hi all, Just wanted to say a MAJOR thank-you to SKX for providing the only (and I really do mean ONLY) kexts that enabled me to get a SINGLE peep out of the onboard AUDIO on my GA-EP45-UD3R.

Just wanted to ask: will these kexts also worked with 10.5.7?

Also also... what sound set up have you managed SKX? Are all ports working?

Finally, is there some delimiter or something that makes all the different AppleHDA / HDAEnabler kexts unique (like do you need to insert your own device ID / vendor ID into them) or something? Because whilst I am very grateful that SKX's audio kexts work, I just can't fathom why ALL of the other kexts I tried couldn't give me ANYTHING... I am thinking that I must have been missing something very elementary... (and it wasn't setting the audio to internal in the preferences because NONE of the other kexts would even allow me to do this...)

MANY cheers!!

Just for info, I'm using the May 20th issued kexts on a retail 10.5.7 install.

I installed from retail DVD onto a new HDD (connected with USB) from my MacBook, then updated the new HDD to 10.5.7 using the combo updater.

I then just installed the latest Chameleon (also from the MacBook via USB), deleted the kexts that were in /Extra and used the ones in the May 20th pack and added the injector for my graphics card.

Then, I unmounted the disk from the MacBook and installed in the Gigabyte based build. Booted up all working. Great!

The only thing I don't have right now is sleep/wake which I suspect is related to the fact that I used Netkas' latest injector ATY_init.kext to enable my ATI HD 4870 graphics card. I plan to remove the injector and replace with EFI strings at some point so I'm back to true "vanilla".

My specs:

GA-EP45-UD3R

Q6600

4GB DDR2 800MHz

ATI HD 4870

..and a whole bunch of SATA drives

OK, I think figured it out.

Removed the extra power cord from my GF 9600GT, so it would run 'half speed', it fixed the problem, and now everything's working smoothly.

The problem must be my underpowered PSU, guess the only thing a 430W is good for nowadays is a HTPC with an integrated 3D card.

So what I did was order a new 850W Nexus RX-8500 <15.5dB modular PSU :)

The very best to all of you,

Christoffer

Right, so I got my new 850W PSU today, and guess what - didn't help at all. Sigh.

Now, please have some ideas that might fix this? ;) Could it be driver related? or a BIOS setting?

TIA.

Right, so I got my new 850W PSU today, and guess what - didn't help at all. Sigh.

Now, please have some ideas that might fix this? :rolleyes: Could it be driver related? or a BIOS setting?

TIA.

Unless you have masses of power hungry devices the 430 should actually be fine. Neither of my Hackintoshes uses the power directly to the graphics card (and in one I have a 9400GT which is similar to your 9600). And you mentioned that once you removed the extra power everything worked, so quite frankly I believe that is your solution. Not quite sure what you mean by running "have speed". My 9400 is running with full power and providing CI/QE/GL:

nVidia GeForce 9400 GT:

Chipset Model:	nVidia GeForce 9400 GT
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	512 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0641
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 ROM Revision:	nVidia GeForce 9400 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]
 Displays:
SyncMaster:
 Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-Bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported
 QuartzGL:	Supported
Display Connector:

Does audio digital out work with your package Eliade? Like coax or optical?

Yes, as Eliade mentions he's put 4 different sound option kext "packages" in his main pack. The one I use to get digital audio (toslink) is the yellow pack (The "3outs/2ins digital regular headphones"). You will get output from the digital out optical jacks in the back of the motherboard using those. So I'm pretty sure the coax will work as well.

Make sure you select Digital Out in your System Preferences.

I should also add, since we're talking about audio, that regardless of your Hackintosh it seems that setting it to the MacPro (versus the iMac) in the smbios.plist within the /Extra folder seems to resolve some audio issues (namely the popping sound some people get). If you've read through this entire thread you probably know how to do this but the quick answer is to have the following (or any of the MacPro ones available) in that file:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacPro3,1</string>

Installed iPC 10.5.6

My spec is

mother boad GA-EP45-UD3R/CPU Intel Pentium Dual Core2.0Ghz/RAM 2x2 4GB/Graphics card ATI RADEON HD 3450/LAN Realtek 8111C chips/Audio Realtek ALC889A

It can't work LAN and Audio.Graphic is working but not well.

I tried to write kext by "Kext Helper b7" and reboot computer.

But it also can't. :P

Lan was not recognized.

If you know how to work Lan ,please help me.

Download the Kext pack from Eliade.(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141769&st=500&p=1154564entry1154564)

Try with that kexts. If that's not good, try to install the way there is in the pack. Yes you need a retail dvd, but I think, that is the smallsest problem....

STOP USING iPC!!

For that matter, stop using any modified "distro" (pre-hacked iso of OSX). Almost all the noobs that come around asking for help need it because they've used a torrented iso and now can't figure out why ____ doesn't work after the latest update.

Just go buy retail, and install using a boot cd to load up your extensions before loading the install dvd. There are tutorials all over for how to do this.

If you still think that pirating some pre-hacked disk is the best way to do this, then go for it. But polluting helpful threads like this one with what power supply you have that kinda sorta works with whatever torrent you last downloaded, and how many things are not working yet, and what quirks you're still going to have to work out is a waste of everyone's time.

So STOP!

STOP USING iPC!!

For that matter, stop using any modified "distro" (pre-hacked iso of OSX). Almost all the noobs that come around asking for help need it because they've used a torrented iso and now can't figure out why ____ doesn't work after the latest update.

Just go buy retail, and install using a boot cd to load up your extensions before loading the install dvd. There are tutorials all over for how to do this.

If you still think that pirating some pre-hacked disk is the best way to do this, then go for it. But polluting helpful threads like this one with what power supply you have that kinda sorta works with whatever torrent you last downloaded, and how many things are not working yet, and what quirks you're still going to have to work out is a waste of everyone's time.

So STOP!

Couldn't agree more - retail disk install is the only way to go. And if you don't know or aren't prepared to learn the basics of what is going on under the hood, then you should either buy a real Mac or stick to Windows.

Unless you have masses of power hungry devices the 430 should actually be fine. Neither of my Hackintoshes uses the power directly to the graphics card (and in one I have a 9400GT which is similar to your 9600). And you mentioned that once you removed the extra power everything worked, so quite frankly I believe that is your solution. Not quite sure what you mean by running "have speed". My 9400 is running with full power and providing CI/QE/GL:

nVidia GeForce 9400 GT:

Chipset Model:	nVidia GeForce 9400 GT
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	512 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0641
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 ROM Revision:	nVidia GeForce 9400 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]
 Displays:
SyncMaster:
 Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-Bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported
 QuartzGL:	Supported
Display Connector:

Well, unplugging the pci-e power cord lowers the clocks on the 9600GT, effectively decreasing the performance of the hack. Xbenches OpenGL test showed an almost 65% decrease.

Another thing that occurs when running 3D-graphics, is a weird high pitch noise. And, it's not the fan, because there is none. This is reproduced by running eg the opelgl extensions viewer test. Funny is, that depending on the veesion of opengl the test runs, the sound changes.

Any input on this matter is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone, so I apologize if the text isn't perfect :-)

Couldn't agree more - retail disk install is the only way to go. And if you don't know or aren't prepared to learn the basics of what is going on under the hood, then you should either buy a real Mac or stick to Windows.

Windows or Linux! :wacko:

Hey guys.... i have had mac working on this board really really nicely. I almost forgot it was meant for windows. However, i recently just applied all the updates including 10.5.7 without doing anything and then i kind of remembered i have a hackintosh.... anyways... after the restart, it loaded up but i realized my sound stopped working. I just realized this now i dont know what else is not going to be working so if someone can help me out that would be great.

ep45 ud3r

q8200

9500gt

onboard sound (i used to have more devices to choose from under output in the preferences for sound but now i only have 3 and none of these work)

What do i have to do to get sound working again and also what other things should i take into account now that i updated to 10.5.7.

Thanks for your help

Hey guys.... i have had mac working on this board really really nicely. I almost forgot it was meant for windows. However, i recently just applied all the updates including 10.5.7 without doing anything and then i kind of remembered i have a hackintosh.... anyways... after the restart, it loaded up but i realized my sound stopped working. I just realized this now i dont know what else is not going to be working so if someone can help me out that would be great.

ep45 ud3r

q8200

9500gt

onboard sound (i used to have more devices to choose from under output in the preferences for sound but now i only have 3 and none of these work)

What do i have to do to get sound working again and also what other things should i take into account now that i updated to 10.5.7.

Thanks for your help

Sigh. Have you even actually read this thread? The kexts in the May 20th pack work fine with 10.5.7. Suggest you check your /Extra folder and maybe rebuild your kext cache. I would have thought this was fairly obvious for "the best guru" :unsure:

Well, unplugging the pci-e power cord lowers the clocks on the 9600GT, effectively decreasing the performance of the hack.

I only use my computer for regular stuff (very few games) and things like Final Cut Pro, Aperture, Handbrake, etc. So I'm afraid I don't quite understand this nor it's effects. Perhaps you can check on the hardware specific forum (the one for graphics cards I mean).

Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to say thanks for this thread, it's been extremely helpful for this n00b trying to do a first install.

However, I'm encountering video anomalies and corruption similar to those quoted below, with windows leaving trails and scrolling problems. It occurs when I either update to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7. I followed Eliade's instructions and did a vanilla install with OSX 10.5 disc and grub-dfe. Additionally, the resolution remains at 1024x768 and i can't change it.

I am using a GeForce 9500GT 512MB. I obtained the gfx card string from the ROM i downloaded from the gigabyte site, and I used NVCAP Maker 1.4 to get the string. I used Uinstaller to enter the custom string.

Will appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks in advance.

My system specs are:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard rev1.1 (how do you check the BIOS version?)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0Ghz

GSKILL 4GB DDR2 1066mhz RAM

Seagate 1TB 7200.12 SATA HDD

GIGABYTE GV-N95TD3-512I GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128bit GDDR3 gfx card

Hey dude, these issues with open windows leaving trails and pages not scrolling properly are just the standard issues you will get until you install the graphics card properly. Both of the GFX cards you listed work very well. I would recommend using either UInstaller or OSX86Tools to install your GFX card string (on a clean install before doing anything else!) and not NVInject because in my experience NVInject seems to override everything else (any other kexts etc)... AND doesn't work! So it's safer just to not install it & just use UInstaller / OSX86Tools.

Also, to get Chameleon to boot straight into OS X and not have the annoying screen where you have to select a drive etc... just use UInstaller / OSX86Tools to set your boot timeout to 5 seconds... Then when booting, it will load into OS X automatically after 5 seconds. Problem solved. :(

I haven't checked this board for a few weeks, so I don't know what's been going on. How is the 10.5.7 update working out for people? Are there any problems to work out still?

I'm on 10.5.6 (using retail OSX), and I wondered if it was worth the bother of updating. Right now, everything works (Time Machine, front and rear audio in/out, IDE DVD-ROM, dual-boot with Windows etc). Will updating ruin any of this?

Thanks

Right now, everything works (Time Machine, front and rear audio in/out, IDE DVD-ROM, dual-boot with Windows etc). Will updating ruin any of this?

Thanks

Yes

I'm on 10.5.6 (using retail OSX), and I wondered if it was worth the bother of updating.

And Yes

Although there are issues the improvements in dot updates from Apple are usually significantly beneficial and (IMO) always worth the update. Of course I speak from the Mac point of view. However, find the latest pack (May 20th) should make sure everything essential works.

I don't do windows so I can't comment on the dual-boot stuff.

Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to say thanks for this thread, it's been extremely helpful for this n00b trying to do a first install.

However, I'm encountering video anomalies and corruption similar to those quoted below, with windows leaving trails and scrolling problems. It occurs when I either update to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7. I followed Eliade's instructions and did a vanilla install with OSX 10.5 disc and grub-dfe. Additionally, the resolution remains at 1024x768 and i can't change it.

I am using a GeForce 9500GT 512MB. I obtained the gfx card string from the ROM i downloaded from the gigabyte site, and I used NVCAP Maker 1.4 to get the string. I used Uinstaller to enter the custom string.

The first install is always the hardest. ;)

Now for the graphics issue. I wouldn't use the NVCAP but instead just use the string created from Uinstaller. So....

The safest way to do it is as follows (because the UInstaller by default will replace your com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder):

(1) Copy your original com.apple.Boot.plist to your desktop and rename it "com.apple.Boot.plist_original_vanilla" or something like that

(2) I'm assuming you are using Chameleon v2, so also copy your com.apple.Boot.plist that sits in the /Extra folder to your desktop and call that something like "com.apple.Boot.plist_Cham_backup"

These first two steps are just so you have backups in case something bad happens.

(3) Launch UInstaller and ONLY select the following:

First set the "Choose Hard Drive to apply to:" to be your boot up drive

Second select "Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)"

Third select "Apply EFI String for video card"

then on the pull down menu (at the very of the long list) select "Custom NVIDIA"

Now click Install

A pop up menu will come up after a few seconds (it will say something like "Please enter the name of your card..." and enter the following (EXACTLY as written, lower/upper case and the spaces too):

nVidia GeForce 9500 GT

click OK

It will then pop up another menu and select our memory for the card (512MB)

click OK again

Yet another pop up menu will come up and select the top one:

DVI-I/DVI-I

click OK

(4) You now have a modified com.apple.Boot.plist with the correct info for your video card and it should work perfectly. However to complete the process we must move the vanilla com.apple.Boot.plist back into the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. FIRST, once again copy the com.apple.Boot.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (remember this is now our modified one from UInstaller) to the desktop and call it "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one" or something like that.

(5) Rename the "com.apple.Boot.plist_original_vanilla" one from Step (1) to "com.apple.Boot.plist" and move it to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration you will need to type in your password (It may say "Authenticate" on the pop up menu so select that to enter your password).

(6) Open up both the "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one" and the "com.apple.Boot.plist_Cham_backup" one in textedit just to compare them.

The bottom of the new modified one will have a bunch of stuff that looks like this:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>ab02000001000000020000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600001e0

01060000017fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e000000050000000160020000

d00000002010c00d041030a010000000101060000010101060000007fff04000e0000004e0056005

004d000000200000000100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000......

This is the EFI String stuff. But for Chameleon v2 and the pack of kexts we use for our board we also need to have the following near the top (the -f thing is very important to have but the Timeout thing you can change to whatever setting you wish, 1, 5, 10, etc.):

<key>-f</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>4</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

If you're "com.apple.Boot.plist_Cham_backup" has this stuff you can just copy and paste it into the new "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one".

(7) Save the "com.apple.Boot.plist_new_modified_one" and then rename it back to "com.apple.Boot.plist" and then move it into the /Extra folder (again you may have to click "Authenticate" and put in your password.

(8) Reboot and everything should work just fine!

I'm trying out Eliade's pack for 1.5.7. and at the end of his post he says to: and use -f in the apple.boot.plist (or you won't get everything working)

Where in the apple.boot.plist do I put that?

Sorry if it's been asked but search still doesn't work.