[HOWTO] Two cards, one supported by osx, another one is not.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

imperialzerg

imperialzerg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I was wondering if my situation would work?

I will be getting a HD 5850 and a osx compatible nvidia card. I plan to put the 5850 in slot 1 and the nvidia card in slot 2. The motherboard I will have is gigabyte x58-ud5. This should work by only switching the bios to use peg2 when using osx86 right? Fully working QE/CI and resolutions is needed for the nvidia card. I really hope this works, as it would be a hassle switching the card slots everytime i switch os. Also I want to make sure that my motherboard even has the option to use peg2 as initial display? Thanks for the help!

nicknitro

nicknitro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, imperialzerg.

I`m going to try this config too. I have a 5770 which isn`t supported by SL. Yesterday i made the Vanilla Instalation on GA-X58-UD3R Rev 1.0 + 6 Gb Ram + 500Gb HDD For MAC. I had to use one spare NVIDIA 7800GT 256Mb that was around my stuff, this one worked great, but i want to use ATI for Windows 7.

Let me try this, Use ATI on PCI X16 port 1 and NVIDIA on port 2, change BIOS and cross my finger.

Will report ASAP.

Any Suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

imperialzerg

imperialzerg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Cool, hope it works as written! This will decide whether or not I get the 5850 now or just get a 4890 to hold me over till 5850 is working or fermi is released and working.

fluffysheep

fluffysheep

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm currently using a 9500GT for my snow leopard install but would like to use a 5770 on my Windows 7 boot. Is this possible? I'm using a EP45-UD3LR motherboard. I don't want to spend the money on a 5770 if it's not going to work. If if 5770 can't be used, can anyone recommend a similar spec'd card around the same price range that can?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Mitalca

Mitalca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
nicknitro, what ever happened with your experiment??
please tell me, since I want to do the same thing

Bene1408

Bene1408

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It just won't work that way with my mobo. Cause if add my Radeon 5850 (of course for Windows gaming) to my Nvidia GT 220 (Mac compatible), the fan cools like gone bananas, equal in which PCI-slot I put it. Please help me.

Greetings, Bene

Mitalca

Mitalca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
how do you make your GT220 work? I mean, do you use EFI String, GraphicsEnabler?? you should check that GraphicsEnabler is set to NO in the com.apple.Boot.plist
keep posting updates and I'll try to make it work

Bene1408

Bene1408

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello Mitalca, thank you for your answer.
In the meantime I managed to turn down the fan speed of my 5850 to an at least bearable level by disabling GraphicsEnabler and using an EFI-String. But the 5850's fan still runs on a level I can't bear when editing music.
Is there any possibility to set the fan speed of the 5850 to zero when booting into my hackintosh? I'm always using the GT220 as init gfx in BIOS when booting into Mac, so the Mobo won't connect to the 5850 and it's fan keeps running on the same level as it runs, when I turn on the computer. And if I left the 5850 set as init gfx, I'd get a kernel panic.

Greetings, Bene

Mitalca

Mitalca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I don't think you can go as drastically as you want. After all, the 5850 is connected to the mobo, so it's getting power from it.
The one thing I can think about is trying to do some custom fan adjustments under windows, but directly on the bios of the card. I'm not sure if there's a program available right now to do it that works with the 5800 series

Maybe you can at least download something like rivatuner or ati tray tools, and try to reproduce the same noise levels, so at least we can know the % of RPMs the ATI is working at under MacOs (somthing like GPU-Z + Furmark might do the trick too)
Then, we'll know at what bios setting is the ATI defaulting to under MacOs

keep posting and I'll keep trying to help you

rage_311

rage_311

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This sounds similar to what I want to do, but not exactly. I'm about to build an i7 machine. For the graphics, I plan on ordering 2 x ATI 5770 cards to put in crossfire. I understand that these cards are not yet supported in OS X. I have an Nvidia 8800GTS lying around that I want to put in my 3rd PCI Express x16 slot (the motherboard has 4) to use in OS X. Will it be possible to get this to work? Has anybody done this? I would like a confirmation on this before I order this computer, otherwise I might change my plans a bit. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Mitalca

Mitalca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
you could really do a little investigation in your motherboard of chocie
what you want is some Mother that lets you select in the bios wich PCIE Port is the main one, so you can put your 8800 in that one
Then, you should be OK
The only problem left would be to keep the ATI cards as quiet as possible

-------------
Bane, are you on Leo or Snow Leo??

rage_311

rage_311

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I see. I'm planning on using a gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r. I'll have to look into that. Anybody here have experience doing it with this board?

xbb

xbb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

you could really do a little investigation in your motherboard of chocie
what you want is some Mother that lets you select in the bios wich PCIE Port is the main one, so you can put your 8800 in that one
Then, you should be OK
The only problem left would be to keep the ATI cards as quiet as possible

-------------
Bane, are you on Leo or Snow Leo??

Only ATI is affected by the fan speed problem?

Mitalca

Mitalca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
The problem is neither ATI or NVidia. You would have (i think) the same issue with any unsupported vga connected that's not being used by the OS

Mitalca

Mitalca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
there are some more systems working with this dual system over here: http://www.insanelym...p...9646&st=125

I think it's something of a safe bet until the Mac support for 5800s arrives

ndboost

ndboost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Alright,
Ive been looking for a solution for about a month now to my problem..

Operating systems:
Windows 7
10.6.2 running #####

Graphics:
PEG1: nvidia 9600GT
PEG2: xfx 5750 radeon

Motherboard:
Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard

P5Q doesnt have the ability to choose between PEG1 and PEG2, only PCI/PEG and vice versa.

Currently if you are running any type of P5Q series board this wont work as far as i can tell, UNLESS you have a PCI card and an PCI-E (PEG).

IF i switch my xfx radeon card with the 9600GT i can get it to detect in windows 7 but not in 10.6.2. This is because the P5Q when booting looks for the first card, once it finds it; it quits looking. Which is why Windows 7 and OSX will take whatever card is in the first PCI-E slot.

Currently the only solution is either:
Run a PCI/PCI-E combo setup (and flip the PCI/PEG setting for whichever OS you're going to run)
Switch the cards out manually when you want to boot into either or.

Hopefully the end of June/July timeframe Apple will release their new products and a 5xxxx series card will be in the mix.

kocoman

kocoman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
I have a hp notebook with geforce 6150, which is not supported, but I buy a ExpressCard to Pci-E 1X card (the ViDock), and put in a supported nvidia card. This setup works fine under Windows 7, I can get both display out. (but not for WinXP, because it would complain of some conflict..)

So is it possible to change the built in video into #2 instead of #1..?

ndboost

ndboost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
More than likely it's not possible.

Mitalca

Mitalca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
someone in the other thread sugested this: http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/

what might be usefull with that RBE program is the fix for the spin up when starting your PC. From what many have said, if you do the dual cards (one supported, one HD5000 unsupported), the HD5000 just spin up and never cames down. Maybe with that fix, the card would never spin up on startup?
Anyone cares to give it a try?

bossent20

bossent20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi. Helpful topic. I wanted to know about this stuff for ages.

I came from having a GTX 275 which worked fine for SL 10.6

Now I have a GTX 470

My mobo is the Gigabyte X58 UD5.

Can I simply plug and play to install OSX on one drive and Windows 7 on another?

In other words, GTX 470 for Windows, and utilize the power of the GTX 275 also for Windows as a second card (maybe for physx?)

and the GTX 275 strictly for MAC OSX when that boots up?

Any help on this much appreciated. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy