Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

TBH, you are better off buying a card that works out of the box. It's a nightmare this way, sometimes you get stuck on a Kernal Error, that needs you to restart 20-30 times until it works.

I have installed linux onto my laptop now, I have decided that os x is built for my PowerBook only :(. I may go back to mac if someone fixes this.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Acer Aspire 5715Z and would like to see this work too, now I've tried many things.. but I don't seem to get it to work right, I've got my display and resolution working fine and everything else too (sound, etc.). But I miss internet very much of course, now I would be very delighted if someone could tell me exactly which way to do everything, mainly in which order, I'm running XXX OSX 10.5.6.

I'd be extremely gratefull!!!:( I've seen many things, like removing extensions.mkext and rebooting with airport off, etc. but I don't know in what order I should do everything, I'd like to do this from scratch with a clean install of XXX osx without any network drivers installed, would be very pleased if someone could help me!!!!:)

Regards,

Fabian;)

Sooooooooo close to a fully functional laptop. Presario C700 (c776ca actually), everything else seems to work.

Just installed iPC 10.5.6 fresh out of the box, including the Atheros driver.

It sees my wireless card, but it's stuck "scanning" for eternity.

I've tried the kismac trick, but no love. Everything seems to go so smoothly, but when I hit "start scan" in Kismac... nothing happens. The first time I try it authenticates me to try and load the driver. No errors. The moment I'm authenticated though, the program acts like nothing happened.

I've used Kismac before, and I know that there's a spinner while it's scanning, and the "start" button becomes a "stop". Not for me this time. I've tried the IO80211Family.kext that came with my install, and the one from the top of this thread. Both have the same behavior, except the one from this thread crashes on boot when I don't delete Extensions.mkext .

so - Kismac isn't working as advertised. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot !!!

I followed your guide, I have a Toshiba Satellite A135 SP4146, it is running 10.5.6 thanks to the iAtkos 5i DVD and some mix about upgrading with the combo update.

My Laptop has the AR5007G Atheros card and now it works great !!! That was all I needed to have a fully working Hakintosh.

Cheers,biggrin.gif

Francisco

i got dis working on my aspire one with mac 10.5.5 with voodoo kernal.but da thing is i forgot to turn off da airport.so frm next reboot it just starts scanning n doesnt turn off..n wifi networks r not being detected in kismac...it used to work before..can ny1 help me with dis?..or shuld i do a clean install again?

Hi

I couldn´t install the AirPort Extreme Update 2008-004... It say " it could only install with mac os 10.5.5"

What can i do now? I have an Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo U9200 with an Atheros 5007EG V_168C&DEV001C&SUBSYS_3067168C ...

Without the update, Kismac find nothing und didnt show an error...

Anybody idea?

greatz

Hi guys,

How do I start fresh without any drivers? I used to see the Airport Application and the card in stalled but now it says no airport card detected no matter what I do, the drivers are still installed? How do I go back to a clean slate?

Cheers,

Raz

EDIT: Got it working after screwing around with installing and reinstalling .kext files and repairing permissions, I used the 2.1.2 .kext file in the end and now it is all working. I have no disconnects and it seems to be working good. Thanks to all that helped in this thread. I'm single booting OS X 10.5.6 on Aspire One A110 with a modified 30gb zif ipod drive (8gb ssd was slow as a dying snail).

Ok, so we need a quick reminder on how to get the KisMAC Method working in your machine with an AR5007 wireless card:

If you are running 10.5.5, first install Airport Update 2008-004 and when it tells you to restart, follow the steps below.

Installation:

------------------------

So first of all download the "IO80211Family.kext", and transfer it to your machine,

Next download "KisMAC Trunk Revision V319", and transfer it to your machine,

Now drag the KisMAC Application to your "Applications" folder,

Install the "IO80211Family.kext" file using kext helper,

Now in spotlight search for "Disk Utility" and open it,

Find your OS X HHD and Repair Disk Permissions,

You can restart your machine once Disk Permissions have been repaired,

Once restarted open KisMAC, goto the Preferences Panel and click on Drivers, now select "Apple Airport Extreme, passive mode" and click "Add".

Next close the Preferences Panel and click "Start Scan", type in your password to Authenticate and once networks appear Quit KisMAC.

Click on the Airport Tab on the Menu Bar and select your Network. Now you can browse away :D

Bug fixes:

--------------------------

Do you keep getting kernel panics on boot?

Well simply boot with the following flags:

-v -x

Now double click on your Mac HD and navigate to: System/Library, and then delete the file called Extensions.mkext

Here are the download links:

IO80211Family.kext - Download

KisMAC Trunk Revision 319 - Download

Kexthelper b7 - Download

Got it to work on 10.5.4 but only briefly.

Downloaded the 80211Family kext

Installed it via KextHelper

Repaired permissions

Reboot

Run KisMac (Airport Extreme Passive mode)

KisMac, found some networks

Exited Kismac then scanned for Network. It connected to a WPA network

When it works, it works flawlessly. But, it is not consistent. When you reboot

there is a 99% chance that it would not work. Best bet is to shutdown then try again

Thanks everyone

Acer Aspire One A150L

It would be kind if someone can help me...

I did everything as describe on the first post but i can't get kismac to find networks. :-(

I have installed:

- iDeneb 10.5.6

- All the newest Airport updates

I have tried my things but none that worked.

Is it possible that it doesn't work on 10.5.6?

Any other hints?

Thx

I have installed iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 and it works but inconsistently (aspireone 150 ZG5)

1 out of every 10 times it might work and when it works its stable

there is not a consistent behaviour in what you should or should not do in order to get it to work.

It is a pure luck ;) (for me that is)

I think it would be easy to just buy a supported wifi card and changed it

I have installed iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 and it works but inconsistently (aspireone 150 ZG5)

1 out of every 10 times it might work and when it works its stable

there is not a consistent behaviour in what you should or should not do in order to get it to work.

It is a pure luck :) (for me that is)

I think it would be easy to just buy a supported wifi card and changed it

What wifi card do you suggest?