Using Sonix driver with Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 and others

frantisheq

89 posts in this topic

Sorry guys. Microsoft VX-1000 is broken under Snow Leopard, due to under-the-hood changes with how Quicktime Components work. You need to get a refund or wait for new drivers to be created - don't hold your breath.

Edit: new drivers created & got it to work, see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1577626

I spoke too soon - I have a fix for Snow Leopard!

(Edit: I now have a better fix - see here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1577626 )

Download the latest CVS build of Macam: http://sourceforge.net/projects/webcam-osx/files/

Place the macam component in both ~/Library/Quicktime and /Library/Quicktime (that is, your main library AND your user library.)

Restart your computer. Open Skype or whatever, and behold the camera working! :D:(

I have a fix for Snow Leopard!

...behold the camera working! ;):o

Working driver for Microsoft LifeCam VX-series under Snow Leopard.

OK Here's an even better idea. This is for all Microsoft LifeCam VX-Whatever (VX-1000 is mine).

EDIT: Unfortunately this driver seems to kill Skype... But the (inferior) Macam driver doesn't - use that if you need to use Skype. I will try to find a solution.

EDIT 6 Nov 2010: I found a new driver from Sonix that fixes the Skype problem. Attachement has been updated.

I have attached a driver with all the modifications necessary for Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000.

Use this to get the benefit of auto-white balance and auto-gain which doesn't come with the macam component.

Here's what I did, in case you want to do it yourself:

1. Download the modified Sonix driver as detailed above.
  2. Make the changes to the driver as detailed above, if necessary. (tip: right click on the driver and choose 'Show Package Contents').
  3. Very important, as detailed above, to set the tag which has a 1 to an 0. This only needs to be set within the <dict> ..... </dict> indent where your camera's product/vendor ID is.

Installation:

This is the key to making this work: Make sure you put this driver (VERY IMPORTANT FOR SNOW LEOPARD) in your User/Library/Quicktime folder - that is: /Users/yourusername/Library/QuickTime - NOT the main HD library ('all users') as Snow Leopard won't detect it there.

Remove any other webcam driver that's meant to be specifically for your webcam from both the Main library and your User library's Quicktime folders: i.e. Macam, Sonix whatever.. leave just the newly modified Sonix driver in your User/Library/Quicklime folder. (This might not be necessary, but do this first and check if it works).

Use WebCam Monitor from the Sonix installer (detailed in a post above) to set the correct settings. [Note: the installer might overwrite your modified driver!] The camera driver is just called 'Camera' in apps that ask you to select from a list. If you have several 'Camera's, it'll be the last one.

If you want to use with iChat or PhotoBooth, you'll need an app called iUSBChat - search for it. It needs paying for. EDIT this no longer works with Snow Leopard - sorry.

No need to restart your computer, it should just work after restarting your webcam apps (e.g. WebCam Monitor, Iris, Skype).

AUDIO:

If you need audio and aren't getting it, make sure all camera apps are quit, then open WebCam Monitor (which comes in the Sonix installer as detailed above somewhere). Make sure you're getting a picture in the preview box first. Go to Monitor > Sound Settings. You should see the green bar move with your voice. If not, check the 'Source' tab has 'USB Camera' highlighted. Turn on the 'Speaker' setting to check it - click your fingers next to the camera. It should normally be off while recording. I found it was necessary to set the gain to Max.

So now, whenever there is an app using the camera, the sound should be available via the input channel called 'USB Camera'. Set it in System Prefs > Sound > Input. Turn up the mic volume (gain) to max.

With skype you need to set this in the Audio Preferences too.

Hope this helps.

Sonix_SN9C102p_WebCam.component.zip

Edited by robrecord

• 2 weeks later...
I got my VX-1000 to work on my Mac OSX Leopard. Here are the steps:

1 Download the Sonix driver as stated above.

2 Install the driver as per instruction.

3 Open Library/Quicktime/Contents/Info.plist

4 Search for idproduct 24827.

5 Change idproduct to 247 and idvendor to 1118

6 Look for the <asicPSnsrPwrDnInv> key and change the value to 0

7 Save changes and close file

Make sure to delete macam or other drivers/components too.

Have fun!

The above technique works also for Lifecam VX-500. The only difference is the idproduct which should be set to 1866. I've tested with Skype and Photo Booth on Snow Leopard. I've also attached my modified files based on the original SN9C102p Driver OSX 1.02. The file should be unzipped under /Library/Quicktime.

Thanks goes to the original poster of the solution. Cheers!

Microsoft_Lifecam_VX_500_Snow_Leopard.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Finally got my VX-6000 working with Skype, iChat (using iUSBCam) and QuickTime. All you need to do is download "SN9C202 (Phase out)" driver from Sonix , install it and edit /Library/QuickTime/Sonix SN9C201 WebCam.component/Contents/Info.plist . There are some dots but better than nothing. Take a look at the pic.

post-96681-1223244188_thumb.jpg

post-96681-1223244198_thumb.jpg

A little HOWTO.

I have a MS LifeCame VX6000 and I downloaded the Sonix Driver you linked and edited the info.plist file to match what your picture shows; device id:244 and vendor id:1118. I repaired permissions with disk utility and I was able to get photo booth to take a picture but its completely black. I went back and changed the info.plist again using the device id:0x00f4 and the vendor id:0x045e. Again, I repaired permissions with disk utility but still got no picture from the camera. Is the light on the cam supposed to come on when its working? Also, the Sonix Web Cam Monitor does not pull up any cameras in its list when i open it.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, just wanted to detail for anyone searching for the Clique HUE webcam (not to be confused with the Clique HUE HD webcam) my steps to get the system working with Skype. No, Photo Booth and iChat etc are not working -- these applications are still limited to UVC compatible webcams.

Hardware Details:

Clique HUE webcam (appears in system profiler as USB 20 Camera, Vendor ID: 0x0c45, Product ID: 0x6282)

OSX 10.6.4

Skype 2.8.x (assume other apps not dependent on UVC will work, not yet tested)

No info.plist hacking required, our device is supported!

1) Remove other webcam drivers from /Library/QuickTime and /Users/<username>/Library/QuickTime (macam, hue drivers, etc)

2) Download and install the Sonix SN9C201/202 driver

3) Move the "Sonix SN9C201 Webcam.component" from /Library/QuickTime to /Users/<username>/Library/QuickTime (reported elsewhere: since 10.6.3, OSX fails to detect webcam drivers in the system-wide Library)

4) Change the video settings to 640x480 @ 60Hz using the "WebCam Monitor" installed with driver (Skype only showed 1/4 of the video screen before changing this)

5) Change the Sound Input to "USB 20 Camera" in System Preferences

6) Fire up Skype and celebrate, you don't yet have to buy a new webcam yet! Although, as noted above, if you want to use other UVC only apps -- you still do :-).

Thanks for this thread, it's what sent me down the right path to get the camera working.

Jefffi. Thanks for your guide however I seem to have a black screen in both webcam monitor and skype. I have the same HUE camera ( checked in system profiler ), the only difference is I'm running 10.6.3.

Any advice anyone?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

About VX-1000 in Snow Leopard 10.6.4...

I have some results, far from 100% (in video). I need a help to continue the process...

audio (100% ok)

I made audio works on my VX-1000 for all programs in snow leopard 10.6.4

1) downloading and installing the following driver http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/download.do?d=4838,2

2) after installing run this fix http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=38727 deflating in /Library/QuickTime

3) Change the /Library/QuickTime/Contents/Info.plist searching for idproduct and setting 247000 value and idvendor to 1118.

4) Change all entries in <asicPSnsrPwrDnInv> to 0.

5) Save, your audio it`s done.

VIDEO:

The same thing above but the webcam video only works with monitor CAM software built in SONIX driver. Programs like Skype, iChat, photobooth give crash and do not run.

Anyone can help me? "Bad tongues" talk that this is a UVC trouble.

I too tried to get this working by couple of ways posted in the forums but so far none of them work. The only way worked for me was via Mac Cam but the quality was very bad.. (it used to flickr) and the cam worked only in MacCam's app.

I have got this to work in Snow Leopard 10.6.4 :):D

Skype works, audio works, all webcam apps work - except I haven't tried iChat yet.

I used the latest Sonix driver that was recently updated.

I applied the fix, creating a new product class and replacing the product ID code.

I put it in the main Library: /Library/Quicktime, rather than the user library.

Make sure to move/remove the MacCam driver!

Here's the new driver (version 1.02.001):

Sonix_SN9C102p_WebCam.component.zip

tried VX-6000 with old skype 2.7.0.330 and it works. most apps will crash after you close video but until then no problem. every version of skype 2.8 will crash no matter what. http://mac.oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=32

Sonix SN9C201 WebCam.component in /Library/QuickTime

I have Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000. I have downloaded the latest driver from Sonix website.

How did you manage to have your webcam show in iChat, Photo Booth, FaceTime (Beta)?

I tested mine, it will show my video in EvoCam, and Sonix's Webcam Monitor, but all other WebCam applications are reporting no camera detected, such as Skype. Must be some settings I did were wrong.

Could you or anyone else give me a hint?

BTW, I'm in Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Update: After reboot, I can get Skype (2.8.0.863) to connect to the WebCam now, but Photo Booth, FaceTime Beta, iChat all reports with no camera attached to this computer.

Update 2: After use Skype 2.8.0.863 for a while, the system became stuck, so I have to reboot. But I remembered there is a program called ManyCam (available free for Mac: http://download.manycam.com/?os=mac, it has support for Snow Leopard), so I installed that, in Skype, I chose ManyCam as my Camera Source. This time after I used Skype, the system seems to be still functioning okay. However, still no go for iChat, Photo Booth, and Facetime beta. Since EvoCam, ManyCam can reliably use this WebCam, the WebCam driver must be good, then what's the problem? Someone could help, Please?

.... still no go for iChat, Photo Booth, and Facetime beta .... Someone could help, Please?

Apple do not support USB 1.1 webcams for use with their own apps, as far as I am aware. You used to be able to use an app to get round this called iUSBCam ( http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iusbcam/ ), but it's no longer being developed. I don't know if there is an alternative.

From http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2432594

The way video is processed in Snow Leopard is different to Leopard and therefore the iUSBCam utility does not work.

The number of Internal cameras on Mac computers and screens plus the availability of UVC compliant cameras (Virtually exclusively USB 2.0) means that Ecamm has stopped development.

I know of nothing else that replaces this function.

However although it has not been updated for a while and says it does not work in iChat there is CamTwist which may provide you with another option.

Part of what CamTwist could/can do is collect part of the Desktop as the Video pic what some people did was to use this to get a pic from their camera support/preview app and get that into iChat.

I am sure there are other apps like this out there that might provide a solution of a similar nature.

If you have USB2.0 ports new cameras might be the easiest route.

http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

As well as these some things like the X-Box 360 camera is UVC compliant and had a USB connector.

Apple do not support USB 1.1 webcams for use with their own apps, as far as I am aware. You used to be able to use an app to get round this called iUSBCam ( http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iusbcam/ ), but it's no longer being developed. I don't know if there is an alternative.

From http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2432594

Thanks rob for your explanation. I thought LifeCam vx-6000 is USB2.0. I better double check.

I will also look into CamTwist to see what it can do. Will report back later.

Update 1: No, CamTwist does not support iChat

Update 2: Skype 5.0 Beta for Mac has support my lifecam vx-6000, it actually does not support ManyCam, but I am not worried.

• 2 weeks later...

May i ask which editor shows you the xml file in this table view ? The simple Editor in iATKOS S3 2.0 just opens a txt file.

I got my VX-1000 to work on my Mac OSX Leopard. Here are the steps:

1 Download the Sonix driver as stated above.

2 Install the driver as per instruction.

3 Open Library/Quicktime/Contents/Info.plist

4 Search for idproduct 24827.

5 Change idproduct to 247 and idvendor to 1118

6 Look for the <asicPSnsrPwrDnInv> key and change the value to 0

7 Save changes and close file

Make sure to delete macam or other drivers/components too.

Have fun!

I am trying to get my VX3000 to work properly as well. Before i had tried macam. The integrated microphone did not work at all. The camera shows either a pulsing very light green and yellowish picture or a very noisy and the surrounding would have to be very dark otherwise it would show overexposed. So i tried the steps above and had partly success. Now the webcam monitor shows my camera as SN9C105 + OV7660 WebCam and in the Audio settings i have access to the integrated microphone but the Video Settings say "No Video from source". I wonder what to do ? I have changed idproduct to 245 and idvendor to 1118. Besides that every <asicPSnsrPwrDnInv> key to 0. Any idea ?

Great thread by the way. Many thanks to all. :)

P.S.: Here are some screenshots

May i ask which editor shows you the xml file in this table view ? The simple Editor in iATKOS S3 2.0 just opens a txt file.

Property List Editor.

You might need XCode from Apple to get this, so I've attached it below.

(I actually much prefer looking at it in TextMate with coloured syntax & code folding.)

Besides that every <asicPSnsrPwrDnInv> key to 0.

No need to do them all, just the one within the <dict> that defines your camera.

Possible pitfall: If you did do them all & found out yours needed a different productID, it might not work.

Any idea?

Maybe the VX3000 uses a different chipset? I think there was a link earlier on in this thread to a table showing which one uses which - make sure the chipset & the product ID are right for this camera.

P.S.: Here are some screenshots

Couldn't see your screenshots :D

Think you need to click the green upload button. That confused me a few times before :)

Property_List_Editor.app.zip

First of all thanks a lot for your quick help. I'm a bit slow on this platform since it's the first time i have to deal with OS X and my knowledge about Unix based OSs is limited.

Sorry for the screenshots. I have just forgotten them:

juj5gxch.jpg

9u2chy5l.jpg

33qg5t7m.jpg

szkg5uv3.jpg

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php shows what Controller the webcam has built in but i am not aware about the chipset. So i got the hex values and converted them to dec. That's all. But now ?

Since i have installed PListEdit and found finally my camera in Dictionary 28 i have just changed there the values and at least WebCam Monitor sees both Video and Audio. Not only that the video quality is equal to Windows 7 but the values one can change are far more than with the Microsoft tool. Audio works without problems in Skype. In the Preferences Video section Skype says "No video camera connected". Will check it soon and let you know if it works despite of that.

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php shows what Controller the webcam has built in but i am not aware about the chipset.

Sorry, I meant the controller.

Glad you got some of it to work.. afraid I'm not much use beyond this. It's very strange behaviour.

Make sure you reboot to make absolute sure the changes you made have been propogated.

Thanks rob for your explanation. I thought LifeCam vx-6000 is USB2.0. I better double check.

I think what it needs is a UVC camera, rather than just USB 2.0. Not all USB2 cams are UVC.

Crazy, but now it works. Running now Skype 5 beta (this interface is ugly big and not user friendly at all compared to the 2.x version) i have found out what it caused the camera not to work properly:

My mistake was first to open WebCam Monitor and then Skype so only the Mic of the Cam was seen by Skype. Opening at first Skype and then WebCam Monitor both appear in Skype preferences. I don't know why but a friend of mine running also iATKOS S3v2 with Skype 5 was not able to see me but another friend on Win7 with Skype 5 beeing in a conference talk he saw me. After reboot in Win7 the 1st friend could see me as well normally. So this is the happy end of my story. Thanks again very much to all of you. :)

I see your version is 10.6.1 im now 10.6.5 how did you get around iusbcam's no support for 10.6x

Finally got my VX-6000 working with Skype, iChat (using iUSBCam) and QuickTime. All you need to do is download "SN9C202 (Phase out)" driver from Sonix , install it and edit /Library/QuickTime/Sonix SN9C201 WebCam.component/Contents/Info.plist . There are some dots but better than nothing. Take a look at the pic.

A little HOWTO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a VX-5000 and none of the above work. I am under SL 10.6.5.

I don't understand how you get to know which product ID to change. I now the decimal code for my product ID (I translated it from the system information), but how do you know which product ID to replace ?

'cause in the end, I tried to replace all the product ID to mine, same with the vendor ID.

Finally, it is quite confusing, I see that the .component file should then be put in /Library/QuickTime, and another post said it should rather be in the /Users/.../Library/QuickTime

Can someone clarify this ?

Thanks