Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

Aien/pupdawg; are my actions outlined in 'what i did' exactly the same as u did? (i'm still not sure of my editing for the device ID; but i do know my device ID is 0269.)

and nothing more? (i'm think i've read u have to do something else to get it to work after a restart.. but maybe i'm wrong..)

i'm not sure how i can find out weather i'm getting a 169 or not.. i dont think i ever got (doing what i outlined^^^) an NIC found in the system properties..

please make it 100% idiot-proof if possible, as it can get a little confusing/fustrating :P

..i'd like to know if i'm doing the right thing before i try again (with the 30s off..)

~thanks

Okay start off by turning you comp off and remove the power cord for 30 seconds. Then boot into Mac OS. Use the archive that I have attached here. From there fallow the directions outlined in the first post here, but use the forcedeth-nockd.kext file. To check your ip address. Just go to network in the system pref. If it works then you should beable to load a webpage. If you need anymore help be sure to ask.

forcedeth6100.zip

Thanks Aien!!, Pupdawg and of course Planetbeing!

works great.. i'm now posting from OSX (and already had my first safari crash!, eek!)

now i can start actually using OSX.. (and need to figure out how to configure my 2nd router to work like a wireless card so i dont have to run a wire accross the whole house :) )

Thanks Aien!!, Pupdawg and of course Planetbeing!

works great.. i'm now posting from OSX (and already had my first safari crash!, eek!)

now i can start actually using OSX.. (and need to figure out how to configure my 2nd router to work like a wireless card so i dont have to run a wire accross the whole house :( )

No problem. I must agree Thank you very much Planetbeing and all the other people in this board that helped.

Glad I could help some of you out... what kind of issues are you having after using the driver for a few days ? How often does it drop the connection and how often do you have to power off your system to get the IP back ?

Oh yes and thanks Planetbeing for getting this driver started :)

Ok, first off im a linux user dont do windows :)

I have a Gigabite NF4-SLI motherboard and I get no link from this driver with my network.

There is no second ethernetport and the drivers output doesnt say that much :(

(my network cable is fairly long but if I hook it up with a 1m cable it doesnt get up aswell)

Maybe becouse my cheapy network here is just 10MBit?

Well, more precisely, I decided to blatantly rip off of the GPL'ed forcedeth driver for Linux, which someone had mentioned earlier (but I had a really difficult time getting a copy of the source code on Google, I only managed to get several old versions so far). But I figured 2000 odd lines of code isn't too unreasonable and I could figure it out mostly, and also figure out enough of OS X's innards so I can port it.

You know you can get the kernel sources from http://kernel.org/? (its the upper most link ;))

No google needed :)

Untitled.rtf

Glad I could help some of you out... what kind of issues are you having after using the driver for a few days ? How often does it drop the connection and how often do you have to power off your system to get the IP back ?

Oh yes and thanks Planetbeing for getting this driver started :)

It's actually kinda funny. Windows recently started unplugging my network connection many minutes after bootup and I'm using the official nforce driver from nvidia's site. :) Planetbeing's homebrew driver has worked flawlessly since the day I put my hardware ID in it.

It got to the point where I couldn't finish a download or bittorrent so I did a system restore and wouldn't you know it?... Windows wont boot anymore because of a missing/corrupt hal.dll file (which IS in the system32 folder which I THEN replaced with a dll from dlldump.com using the repair console). And because I bought a store display I don't have the winxp cd, so I'm screwed... :(

o well, there is always ;)

btw, I only have to unplug the power cord if I go from Windows to OS X. Otherwise it's fine.

I see dozens, hundreds of these entries when I boot up, shutdown, or pull up the log in terminal, Is that normal? in log it keeps going... if it is normal is there a way to silence the beast?

Aug 5 12:25:42 carlos-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: packet 80000000 - 8000062e

Aug 5 12:25:43 carlos-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: packet 80000000 - 8000062e

I see dozens, hundreds of these entries when I boot up, shutdown, or pull up the log in terminal, Is that normal? in log it keeps going... if it is normal is there a way to silence the beast?

Thats normal, because you are using the forcedeth-nockd.kext. It dump a bunch of stuff in to your log file. The only real way is to edit forcedeth.kext and add your hardware ids, but I haven't been able to get that one to work with my nic.

Guys,

For those who have a Nforce 410/430 board (with the Marvel PHY, not Vietese PHY) I have recompiled the forcedeath-nockd.kext to not output any debug system log output since the forcedeath-nock.kext isn't a valid kernel extension in this build.

So use this if you have forcedeath-nockd.kext working, but don't want your systemlog to fill up from all the debug {censored}...

This was compiled with Xcode 2.3

Letni...

forcedeth_nock_fixed.zip

Guys,

For those who have a Nforce 410/430 board (with the Marvel PHY, not Vietese PHY) I have recompiled the forcedeath-nockd.kext to not output any debug system log output since the forcedeath-nock.kext isn't a valid kernel extension in this build.

So use this if you have forcedeath-nockd.kext working, but don't want your systemlog to fill up from all the debug {censored}...

This was compiled with Xcode 2.3

Letni...

Hey man, thanks very much. No more overloaded log files.

thanks letni.. (assuming it works, i haven't tried it but should if it works for aien)..

as to pupdawg, i've also not had any issues or dropouts using it.. the only issues were the log, and the power off requirement.

I don't use the lan in windows (use wireless).. so, is it possible to prevent the issue; iirc disabling it in device manager doesn't work, or does it? or is there some other way?

Thanks guys! This edited version (along with powering down for 30 seconds) now works on my a8n-vm csm. The OPs drivers didn't work and I had lost hope. Out of all the things that don't work on this board (video, sound, network), this was the most important to me. I can live with using 1024x768 but having a computer with no internet is useless to me. Had I known about running OSX on x86 before I had to rebuild my system I would've bought the right components. :whistle: Next up, sound!

Ooooo new nockd kext.. Nice LetnI! Can't wait to try it! Stupid Windows had a temper tantrum and wont boot or let me boot OS X either ;) Once I set my OS X partition active in Acronis I'll take 'er for a whirl :poster_spam:

I've used the forcedeth6100.zip from Aien in combination with the fixed forcedeth from Letni, to get mij onboard networkchip functioning. When I Install it as discribed in the OP I see it is working. I get an IP adress, I can visit weppages, etc... But after a reboot the system seems it has forgot the whole thing. I think something is going wrong in the installation part (step 13 & 14 of the OP) but I can't see what. Any ideas?

I am using OSX 10.4.6 (the JaS one) by the way

I've used the forcedeth6100.zip from Aien in combination with the fixed forcedeth from Letni, to get mij onboard networkchip functioning. When I Install it as discribed in the OP I see it is working. I get an IP adress, I can visit weppages, etc... But after a reboot the system seems it has forgot the whole thing. I think something is going wrong in the installation part (step 13 & 14 of the OP) but I can't see what. Any ideas?

I am using OSX 10.4.6 (the JaS one) by the way

Well, couple of things you need to remember..

1. After booting windows and back to MacOS X, these drivers will load but most likely won't work unless the PC has been completely powered off (power cable unplugged for a few seconds)

2. If the kext isn't loading after boot (sudo kextstat |grep -i "forcedeth") then you need to flush your kext cache by

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

from a shell...

Hope this helps...

I've been working on my litle problem again, but not succesfull. The way I get it working now is:

1. cd ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release
  2. sudo chown -R root:wheel forcedth-nock.kext
  3. sudo chmod -R 755 forcedeth-nock.kext
  4. sudo kextload -v forcedeth-nock.kext

But after a reboot I have to type it in again. sudo cp -R forcedeth-nock.kext /system/library/extentions seems to do not a thing at all.

I don't use the tail -f /var/log/system.log anymore, because I could not reboot after using it.

Regarding your help, I have a dedicated disk (without windows) so no problem from that side. I had a unexpected IP number (something like 169?) but that has been solved earlier.

It seems that the kext isn't loading after a reboot, but I can't quite understand your help at number 2. How, instead of what and when do I use it?

Well, couple of things you need to remember..

1. After booting windows and back to MacOS X, these drivers will load but most likely won't work unless the PC has been completely powered off (power cable unplugged for a few seconds)

2. If the kext isn't loading after boot (sudo kextstat |grep -i "forcedeth") then you need to flush your kext cache by

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

from a shell...

Hope this helps...

I solved the problem on my own. I made a mistake in typing in the right command. Extentions instead of Extensions.

But after a reboot I have to type it in again. sudo cp -R forcedeth-nock.kext /system/library/extentions seems to do not a thing at all.

Next the soundcard issue...

cheers

i am in need of some assistance.

i realy have no idea what ele to try.

i tried the second posted drivers with my hardware id on the (the forcedeth_nockd.kext),and i tried out the letni "forcedeth_nock_fixed.zip" kext because it has already my hardware id in it

it loads without a problem, my ethernet adaptor can now be cheked as active.

i activated it and let it in default setings to fetch an ip trough DHCP where it says "configure IPv4"

it does not fetch an ip and the light on the ethernet port doesent light up

so i tried to force an ip adress on it

i forced it to an ip that matches my network server that is using XP (192.168.0.7) with the proper subnet mask and i tried giving my server adress in the router option, the DNS server and without any info on those fields.

when i trie to force the ip on the ethernet adapter if i go to the network status it says "The cable for built-in ethernet is not pluged in", wich makes sense since the light isnt on.

so i tried out the power down for 30sec disconecting from the plug.

it does exactly the same, cable disconected without any light.

i am completely lost, and dont know what to do.

my ethernet adapter is built in on the board, the board is the following "Asus M2NPV-MX GeForce 6150 SKAM2"

my ethernet is the following "NVIDIA nForce® 430 built-in Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY"

please help me out, if you need any more information about any of the hardware just say so. i just need some light on how to get it up and working. there are several people saying they have theyr Marvell PHY's working but mine just sais i have the network cable unpluged and it makes no sense.

thanks in advance

cheers

i am in need of some assistance.

i realy have no idea what ele to try.

i tried the second posted drivers with my hardware id on the (the forcedeth_nockd.kext),and i tried out the letni "forcedeth_nock_fixed.zip" kext because it has already my hardware id in it

it loads without a problem, my ethernet adaptor can now be cheked as active.

i activated it and let it in default setings to fetch an ip trough DHCP where it says "configure IPv4"

it does not fetch an ip and the light on the ethernet port doesent light up

so i tried to force an ip adress on it

i forced it to an ip that matches my network server that is using XP (192.168.0.7) with the proper subnet mask and i tried giving my server adress in the router option, the DNS server and without any info on those fields.

when i trie to force the ip on the ethernet adapter if i go to the network status it says "The cable for built-in ethernet is not pluged in", wich makes sense since the light isnt on.

so i tried out the power down for 30sec disconecting from the plug.

it does exactly the same, cable disconected without any light.

i am completely lost, and dont know what to do.

my ethernet adapter is built in on the board, the board is the following "Asus M2NPV-MX GeForce 6150 SKAM2"

my ethernet is the following "NVIDIA nForce® 430 built-in Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY"

please help me out, if you need any more information about any of the hardware just say so. i just need some light on how to get it up and working. there are several people saying they have theyr Marvell PHY's working but mine just sais i have the network cable unpluged and it makes no sense.

thanks in advance

What is your device id? Because my mod for the driver is for the NVIDIA nForce 410 Built-in 10/100 MAC. I believe the the external part is Realtek. So look in windows and check on your hardware id. If it is the same then I am not sure what your problem, if it is not the same and you need help changing it just ask.

You should use lspci to find out your nForce device ID's then install with the instructions posted in past posts.

Ok, first off im a linux user dont do windows :)

I have a Gigabite NF4-SLI motherboard and I get no link from this driver with my network.

There is no second ethernetport and the drivers output doesnt say that much :whistle:

(my network cable is fairly long but if I hook it up with a 1m cable it doesnt get up aswell)

Maybe becouse my cheapy network here is just 10MBit?

You know you can get the kernel sources from http://kernel.org/? (its the upper most link ;))

No google needed :)

my device id is {1A3E09BE-1E45-494B-9174-D7385B45BBF5}\NVNET_DEV0269\4&2806F0ED&0&01

and my hardware id is{1a3e09be-1e45-494b-9174-d7385b45bbf5}\NVNET_DEV0269

so i am guessing that the driver is ok, because it is DEV0269 right?

Based on that I would say yes, but try what pupdawg asked you to do. Then see what your device ID is.

if its the same then again I don't know what to do. If not then we will add the new dev id to the drivers and then it should work. Did you try with just my mod first, or did you use mine and then Letni's? If you did the later then try mine first and if that works then try Letni's.

You should use lspci to find out your nForce device ID's then install with the instructions posted in past posts.