Broadcom BCM5787M/BCM5784M - A solution

nobb1x

246 posts in this topic

This Kext http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A99AURUZ is for BCM5784 Snow leopard 10.6, 10.6.2, 10.6.3 tested and working. Dont know if it works for 10.6.4 but presumably will. This kext automatically retrieves MAC address, all you need to do is insert ethernet and it will work.

Zip Contents:

ionetworkingfamily.kext

Instructions:

Extract Zip

Install with Kext Utility and reboot.

This Kext http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A99AURUZ is for BCM5784 Snow leopard 10.6, 10.6.2, 10.6.3 tested and working. Dont know if it works for 10.6.4 but presumably will. This kext automatically retrieves MAC address, all you need to do is insert ethernet and it will work.

Zip Contents:

ionetworkingfamily.kext

Instructions:

Extract Zip

Install with Kext Utility and reboot.

My device ID is 1698 and after installing your Kext on my 10.6.3, i get kernal panic in boot. Any idea why this one did not work for me?

Hi, I'm using acer aspire 4720 and it has a BCM5787M with it.

Currently I'm using Mac OS 10.6.3, but facing some bandwidth speed problem with the latest kext.

In Windows 7, i can surf internet, youtube smoothly, and ping to the ISP is very good around 16 - 40ms without any request time out.

But when i switch to Mac OS, i can hardly surf the internet and youtube is just too slow to load. Ping to localhost will sometimes get request time out (it shud be no request time out when ping to localhost) and when i ping to ISP it will have around 3 to 10 request time out then continue with 2 or 3 times 16 - 40ms ping. but it is way too much of request time out then it is in windows 7.

I've one friend from taiwan encountering the same problem. Others if u wanna test pls ping your localhost, if it get request time out means there is something wrong with it. It should not have any request time out when pinging localhost. =)

So is there any solution to this?

another thing to mention, before i use the new kext it works fine with the old kext which is the kext cannot detect MAC address itself

I have the same situation as Kelvin_ng does. A few days ago I updated to 10.6.4 from 10.6.3 and the BCM5787M did not work. Reinstalling 10.6.3.5787M.zip of the first post brought back the network, along with the problems.

The bandwidth slow down obviously. Right after the system start, it's nearly 10Mb/s when downloading files from a LAN server using YummyFTP or FileZilla. After several hours, it slows down to 400Kb/s. Nor kextunload IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext work, neither ifconfig en0 down then up does. Even worse, the bandwidth slows down to 100Kb/s.

Reboot the system bring back the bandwidth. Somebody help me plz!

Hi all, i've a problem (naturally). I have an acer aspire 5920g with SnowLeopard 10.6.3 Retail installed, I've follow all these tutorial in this thread and nothing, my Broadcom still not work (yes..i cheked the hardware's ID, it is correct, the14e4 1693). I tried to install the AppleBCM5787MEthernet with KextHelper and nothing (I always fix the permission with "chmod" and "chown" command), I tried to put manually the kext in che folder Extensions, I also tried to put it into the folder "plugins" of the kext IONetworkfamily (or something like that..i don't remenber)..nothing.

I have seen that sometimes it doesn't load the kext, for example I put the Power Management kext into the folder extensions and it didn't load it (under system information-extensions I haven't seen it),so is there a way to chek eventual errors of loaded (or not) kext?.

I hope someone could help me.

Thanks

engiu

Thanks but it doesn't go, I tried to change the IOPCIFamily founded in the thread you gave me but nothing. I tried also to delete the IOPCMCIFamily kext. It's strange, even if the ethernet card is recognized, the MAC is wrong, and the ethernet card inactive. I tried to force the MAC with ifconfig n0 lladdr MY:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS, it changes but the card still not work. I tried to edit the kext with HexFiend, it boots with the right MAC but nothing.

Another particular: when the system boots without any ethernet kext it goes very quickly, when I install with KextHelper an ethernet kext it mades a pause during the loading (about three minutes to load or more).

I tried to boot with -x32, with -f..nothing.

What can I do now?

I think that the kext is the right one so I start to think that I have a problem with the DSDT.AML.

Thank you very much man.

engiu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried doing what you Said in update 2. I just put the .kext into ionetworkblah insteaf of the original One. Then i ran th e Disk Utility permission repair Thing. Now what? It doesnt Show up in Network. I cant add an ethernet Connection. Is there anything i can do to get it Running on 10.6.4?

I tried the .kext for 10.6.0 bevor updating to .4 and that One worked great.

Im sorry for my Bad spelling, im Typung this on a German iPad, it really cripples my writing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, Thank you for your good efforts!

I spent a lot of time, lost my hope to get my LAN working, but finally I did it, oh yes!!! My laptop is Acer Aspire 5920G and os is snow leo 10.6.2.

I have read all this topic, I tried all kexts here, all methods (first on Leopard 10.5.2, later on Snow Leopard 10.6.0 and 10.6.2) but nothing worked for me. I never saw en0 in ifconfig. I always saw something like "BCM5701Mggg.kext .. - 0 0 .. memory page.. failed" during boot and in Console as well.

After my last boot I saw another message, don't remember which one, but I can post later if you ask.

What I did is: I installed Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.kext v113 with KextHelper_b7 and reboot. And that helped.

But before this I installed UPDATE 2 into IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins or installed another version of IONetworkingFamily - one of those posted up in this thread, I don't remember what I did last. I'll write it if you ask later.

Dmitry

LAN is working now, but no internet

------

After restart internet works too. Didn't check speed though.

But laptop hung at the first seconds of boot, I had to remove battery to get it working.

Bye!

-_-

I found no way to get 5784 (not 5784M) to work. tried all the files from this thread include replies.

kernel boot msg:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 1698 getAdapterInfo - Device is unknown

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

My board (Dell 730x, MSI7543 oemed) have two 5784 NIC.

anybody help me?

I found no way to get 5784 (not 5784M) to work. tried all the files from this thread include replies.

kernel boot msg:

My board (Dell 730x, MSI7543 oemed) have two 5784 NIC.

anybody help me?

Try more options, the dmesg changes:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - no acpi-device?

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - no acpi-device?

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - Allocate Interrupt event source failed

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

NEED HELP?!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys !

I'm non-english person so be patient please.

I've got Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M card working, but .... that's all.

No internet no nothing. I've got home router with wifi. Wifi is another problem.

In system properties in network tab, I have Ethernet with red dot.

I've changed mac address of LAN card, as you wrote before.

When I connect LAN cable, dot switches onto green and I have information that ethernet is available but can't connect. I've tried different methods, "by hand", automatically DHCP and nothing. Still without hands/intenet.

On XP I have IP like 192.168.11.3 on cable, under OsX with automatic DHCP gets something like 192.235. and so on ...

Any ideas friends ? I'm "green/yellow" with OsX but I couldn't find any answer with Uncle Google.

Thanks