20" iMac functionality

chiefsalami

25 posts in this topic

How about we use this thread for updates on getting this to work on the 20" iMac? I'm extremely anxious, and wonder what is different from the 17" that is taking this long for the experts to find a solution. As soon as you have it, please post it here! I can't wait to get it going on my 20-incher. Thanks for all of your hard work and success.

Dude, i want to get a 20" but i haven't yet. have you got one?

if you have, backup what you have on your mac and try installing.

I want to know where it fails.

ie, if it fails during the 'dos' like XP installer, doesn't lock up but you just can't see what you are doing, then you could hit the right key sequences to do it, even though you can't see it.

or does it fail actually setting a video mode in XP?

I released that xom.efi (see above link) last night on MacRumors after blanka and I fixed the VGA issue on 20" iMacs. I let him know of the Setup is Copying files issue and hopefully, we can get it working today or tomorrow.

Steve

Cool! Thanks. This is going to be awesome. I have to use Widows software at work to admin our phone system. Right now I have a mac and PC at work (it's an ad agency so I'm lucky). If this eventually works on the 20" iMac, I can ditch the Dell!

I released that xom.efi (see above link) last night on MacRumors after blanka and I fixed the VGA issue on 20" iMacs. I let him know of the Setup is Copying files issue and hopefully, we can get it working today or tomorrow.

Steve

Not to be rude or anything, but are you doing any programming on XOM.efi? You talk about it like you're directly coding rather then just testing, so I'm curious.

Not to be rude or anything, but are you doing any programming on XOM.efi? You talk about it like you're directly coding rather then just testing, so I'm curious.

I'm working with blanka, who is providing suggestions as to where to go. Since the source is still closed, theres no way for me to directly be coding XOM.efi. I've been working around in the EFI shell and doing some things there (which blanka helped me with) which in turn got things going a bit (VGA).

I give 100% credit for creating the XOM.efi files to blanka. Make no mistake about it that Blanka is the one behind the programming, and I've been following his lead and distributing the files to people for testing.

Steve

UPDATE:

Like everyone else I have been waiting for the xp dual boot and it finally arrives, only to find that we can't get going on a 20" iMac.

Have no fear a solution is at hand. You do need the update XOM and this gets you as far as the copying files, when we all lock up. But some bright spark solved the problem (not me I hasten to add). I am just posting here to help you all out.

I find the answer on forum.onmac.

So to install fully on a 20" heres the answer

1) Follow the instructions for creating the slipstreamed xp disk.

2) Install the updated xom.efi and bless.

3) Restart Mac with the cd in the drive.

4) At the start up screen arrow down to change to the windows symbol but DO NOT press enter.

5) Press F4 followed by F7. This allows you to alter the screen resolution.

6) Change the screen resolution to 640 x 480 x 32.

7) Boot into Windows XP then hit any key to start the installation. (Files now magically will copy)

8) Install Windows XP as you would on a PC.

9) When PC reboots switch to Windows Symbol and hit F2 key (Disable cd/dvd boot). Hit a couple of times to be sure. Then hit enter and you should eventually get into the second phase installation screen.

10) On completion the Mac may freeze following the install or may restart. If it freezes just turn mac off and restart.

11) Again at the windows symbol hit F2 (unless CD is removed) and wait for a couple of minutes. Windows XP will start up and we are all done.

No the fun starts with the driver hunt.

Enjoy.

Good job by Nak, Blanka and the team for getting us here and good job to XJMAAS for getting the resolution issue which allows us to install.

YAY my XP is now running..... :)

I am still having trouble on a (off-20" topic) 2.16gHz 256MB VRAM 100Gig MacBook Pro

Anyone getting the "Patch #0 Found more than once at 00707188 and 00748188" at all...even if it DOES boot? Mine does not complete setup. Does not even get to "select a drive to install on". Just wondering if anyone is seeing the "more than once" crop up and if it is an error?

I get stuck after:

Patch #0 applied at 00707188

Patch #0 Found more than once at 00707188 and 00748188

Path #0 applied at 00748188

Patch #1 applied at 00744B1C

Patch Succeeded.

2000:0EEE int 13_48

2000:0EEE int 13_48

Setup stops

System locks. Caps lock does not glow. Any ideas?

I hoped it was a video issue like the 20" ...but i tried XOM20.efi and same thing happens.

:)

I, too, am having a very similar issue as Jann. Mine stops at:

mbrUpdate: Partition #0 - Type EF 0000002B-00064027

mbrUpdate: Partition #1 - MSDOS 000640S8-1D22703F ERASING!!

mbrUpdate: Partition #2 - Type AF 1D227040-3A346007

mbrUpdate: Partition #3 - Empty

mbrUpdate: Update at 7CAB48E0

CD-ROM Detected: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1F|1)/Ata(Primary,Master)

Open(Floppy.img): Not Found

FLOPPY: No floppy image (floppy.img) found

CDROMBoot: Booting LBA 703 @07C0:000L2000

2000:0E2E: int 13_4B

2000:0EFE: int 13_48

Then it stops.

Any ideas? THANKS for any help and for narf & blanka's hard work!

~Jeepboy

As you get things working (or even if you don't), take a minute and add it to the Compatibility and Incompatibility lists here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...atibility_Lists

It'll help keep things nice and tidy in a centralized location. Thanks! We also need someone to compile some of the information in this and other threads in that page. If you'd like to help a million new Macintel owners keep their sanity, help out!

Yes, I am using the efi file from above in this thread.

Jeepboy/Jan

Are you using the updated xom.efi which is mentioned earlier in the post ? :(

I forgot to mention that I'm on a 20" iMac, unlike Jann, who I think is on a MBP.

Jeepboy/Jann,

Sounds then like the CD/DVD is an issue.

I originally used a slipstreamed sp2 cd for installation. By slipstreamed I mean the Microsoft Slipstream way, which is where you take a basic sp1 and add the service pack 2 to it. I used this originally as a base for the XOM slipstream process and i got the same issues as you guys.

What I did was get hold of Media Center Edition ripped all the files to the src directrory and then copied the patch to the source directory (As I also found when you followed the instructions you were only left with the patch files in the Nero slipstream). When i say source directory I mean the src directory inside the xp file which was extracted from xom.zip.

I then burnt these according to the instructions and seem to be working okay. :happymac:

• 1 year later...