• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

thanks very much mitch_de, that worked.

yes i am with 9.3 kernel. changed info.plist to 9.3.0 and it loaded successfully.
now it shows temperature, thank you very much. 55 degrees celsius. isnt that much for
core2duo T7300 with speedstep on?

No.
Also, it is very complicated to get REAL cpu temps out of C2D. So each temp app has its own
algorithm to get the C/F.
speedit.kext temps (used by MenuTemperature) are about 15-20% higher than the values from Hardware Monitor tool.
But dont worry about that - you see the differences !

My E4400 2.0@2.33 GHZ (1300/1900/2330) is getting 46 to 61 Celsius / with Hardware Monitor 38 to 56 Celsius.
Laptops will get much higher temps / are build for getting higher temps.
You can save power if you change (by Speedstep.app or DCPUManager) the UP/DOWN trottling values by the sliders - but you will have also an slower CPU by let CPU stay longer on slow MHZ if CPU% rises.

Speedstep sets MHZ UP/DOWN thats right, but check also if your mVolts also go down.
Sometimes you have to set the VID (mVolts) also a bit down in the .plist of 1.3.2/1.4.0 .kext.
MHZ down without mVolts down would make not really sense.
Remember:
Without CPU work (at least 20%) it doesnt matter (for temp) if speedstep (MHZ down + mVolts down) in aktive or not.

titooo1

titooo1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
how can we check if mVolts are going down properly?

THANKS mitch_de for your patiente and help

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

how can we check if mVolts are going down properly?

THANKS mitch_de for your patiente and help

First check with the konsole the messages of system.log
Aug 27 07:51:28 e180002141 kernel[0]: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Initializing version 1.4.0 © Prashant Vaibhav <mercurysquad@yahoo.com>
Aug 27 07:51:28 e180002141 kernel[0]: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Mod 1.0 - Autothrottle + CPUPMControl app interface © Superhai, www.superhai.com
Aug 27 07:51:28 e180002141 kernel[0]: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Loaded 3 PStates from Info.plist
Aug 27 07:51:28 e180002141 kernel[0]: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO On your processor, voltages can be changed in 16 mV steps

For me i have fixed (edited .plist) mVolts , so the .kext use that.
If you dont have own .plist PSTATES (the name of the key ends with ...DISABLED) the info above should comtent what PSTATES MHZ+mVolts are available and used.
If this information shows differnent MHZ (=OK), but with SAME mVolts (??, NOT OK) you should make own PSTATES with shown MHZ+own(less at slower MHZ) mVolts.
My table:
<key>PStateTable</key>
<array>
<array>
<integer>2330</integer> **** THATS MHZ ****
<integer>1308</integer> **** THATS mVolts , 1308 means 1,308 V, orig. mVolts was 1340)
</array>
<array>
<integer>1864</integer>
<integer>1228</integer> *** less mVolts than full MHZ ***
</array>
<array>
<integer>1398</integer>
<integer>1164</integer> *** less mVolts than middle MHZ - you cant go below an CPU dependen mV, .kext will use this minimum, if you want too less mVolts ***
</array>
</array>

nigelbb

nigelbb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Remember:
Without CPU work (at least 20%) it doesnt matter (for temp) if speedstep (MHZ down + mVolts down) in aktive or not.

Mac OS X must be doing something all the time that isn't registering. My 1.7GHz Pentium M laptop gets hot & the fans cut in when I leave it doing nothing with near 0% CPU utilisation in Activity Monitor even when running at 600MHz & undervolted by 200mV. Running Windows XP Pro even when doing some light work (web browsing etc) it stays cool & the fans don't run at all so it is silent apart from the disk drive.

again my main concern - why does osx consume THAT MUCH more power even with speedstep enabled.
even when i set it manually to lowest speed (in my case 800mhz), it still drains out the battery for about 1 hour.
compared to 3 and a half hours in vista.. this is damn frustrating.

I am seeing this too with my 1.7GHz pentium M. At least I am seeing that it runs hot & the fans switch on  even when running at 600MHz & undervolted by 200mV. Running Windows XP Pro it stays cool & the fans don't run at all

I thought that it might be something to do with the fact that I have an SSE2 CPU but evidently you have the same problem with a C2D so it's not that.

BlackCH

BlackCH

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Mac OS X must be doing something all the time that isn't registering. My 1.7GHz Pentium M laptop gets hot & the fans cut in when I leave it doing nothing with near 0% CPU utilisation in Activity Monitor even when running at 600MHz & undervolted by 200mV. Running Windows XP Pro even when doing some light work (web browsing etc) it stays cool & the fans don't run at all so it is silent apart from the disk drive.

I am seeing this too with my 1.7GHz pentium M. At least I am seeing that it runs hot & the fans switch on  even when running at 600MHz & undervolted by 200mV. Running Windows XP Pro it stays cool & the fans don't run at all

I thought that it might be something to do with the fact that I have an SSE2 CPU but evidently you have the same problem with a C2D so it's not that.

check if you have AppleACPIThermal.kext loaded. You need that

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts
kextstat (in terminal)
look for: com.apple.driver.AppleACPIThermal listet in the output (should be at middle of the list)

lovedahackintosh

lovedahackintosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
ok, i have a new issue. using this kext with the rtc fix 9.4 kernel posted earlier on a hp dv4000 running a 1.6 pentium m processor overclocked to 2.13. the FSB is not reported properly to the system (shows 400, should be 533) but this seems to not be an issue until i use the kext. when i use this kext the clock spins way too fast and animations are too fast. the cpu control does not work (always shows 800) but throttling seems to be happenning anyway. when i manually change the speed to 1600 it just outputs 800-->800. any ideas?

heres my output: http://pastebin.com/m1846e66

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Not sure if my processor is supported: Intel Pentium D 930 CPU @3.0 GHz, StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel. Starting the kext gives this in dmesg:

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Initializing version 1.3.2 © Prashant Vaibhav <mercurysquad@yahoo.com>
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN No Intel processor found! You have GenuineIntel. Kext will not load

Searching the topic results in nothing like this. Is my CPU just not supported?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

Not sure if my processor is supported: Intel Pentium D 930 CPU @3.0 GHz, StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel. Starting the kext gives this in dmesg:

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Initializing version 1.3.2 © Prashant Vaibhav <mercurysquad@yahoo.com>
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN No Intel processor found! You have GenuineIntel. Kext will not load

Searching the topic results in nothing like this. Is my CPU just not supported?

Pentium D 930 has speedstep (if CPU is stepping(SubModel) B1 and later, not all P D have SS). This B1 can ce shown with CPU-Z util in windows.
Perhaps your kernel give wrong informations.
Try to post (use in terminal):
sysctl machdep.cpu.features (shows all cpu features : SS=speedstep, EST=enhanced speedstep, i dont know but i think most P D have SS)
sysctl machdep.cpu.model
sysctl machdep.cpu.stepping
output here - and wait for answers from the .kext developers.

Also you need to have AppleACPIThermal.kext in the .kext /plugins of AppleACPIPlatfrom.kext (show pack content in finder) AND Steepstep enabled in the BIOS.

If SS is working, it would have much more effect(temp down) on the Pentium D (uses much watts!) than our C2D cpus (much less watts).

nigelbb

nigelbb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

check if you have AppleACPIThermal.kext loaded. You need that

I do have that loaded but as I understand it that kext is necessary to sense the temeparature & switch the fans on if it gets high.

My problem is that even when idle & clocked down from 1.7GHz to 600MHz & undervolted by 200mV the laptop is hot & the fans ar running. When running Windows XP Pro & idle the laptop is cooll & the fans are not running. I am not the only one reporting this behaviour.

Wiwi

Wiwi

InsanelyMac Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
No news for a "remember option" in the kext, i think mitch's idea is good...

My idea for throttling setting MHZ feedback:
Yes, not using numbers for MHZ insted some picture points like a traffic lights.
blue lamp for slow, cool MHZ, green middle speed, to the red for fast(heat) MHZ.
Lights would be also fast enough to show fast switchings.
Humand couldnt see so fast chaning numers MHZ.
Would give an little lightshow if you make it this way :thumbsup_anim:
The BEST : OSX86 only lightshow :thumbsup_anim:

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

No news for a "remember option" in the kext, i think mitch's idea is good...

YEAH, would be great if SUPERHAI meets this thread and answers some questions too.

Over the time i also have some questions:
It seems really, also others reported that, that using speedstep drivers didnt show any less temp/longer accuphase.
Today i let run my C2D without speedstep loaded (BIOS enabled) and cant find any temp difference to running with speedstep active!
If let the CPU work : the temp rises fast - but thats also with speedstep, even with forced to stay long on slower MHZ
If i have less work (lot of idle time) - the temp stays low - also no difference to loaded speedstep drivers.

0. Its 100% clear that the CPU does switch MHZ down with speedsetp drivers loaded and setup - Benches slower if CPU forced to fixed slow MHZ
00. For me its unclear if CPU really does the mVolts down also!
1. Can it be that something does also powersaving - C1E or other by Mainboard or CPU itself , because we cant see much difference ?
Thats an really heavy question, because if only sideeffect is slowing down cpu without powersaving/tempsaving speedstep on OSX maybe
not recommended.

Hope one of the speedstep driver devs will answer that and other questions.

Leonmac

Leonmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried to use 1.3.2 on my laptop IBM Thinkpad T40:
can't add kernel extension - (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
kextload: extension /Users/def/Desktop/IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext appears to be valid
46net_mercurysquad_driver_IntelEnhancedSpeedStep is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /Users/def/Desktop/IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext
load failed for extension /Users/def/Desktop/IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext
I have troubles to load kext, can you help me?
I am using 10.4.10

kern.ostype = Darwin
kern.osrelease = 8.9.1
kern.osrevision = 199506
kern.version = Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Thu May 3 02:38:46 UZT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel
machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1500MHz
machdep.cpu.model_string: Intel Pentium M
machdep.cpu.family: 6
machdep.cpu.model: 9
machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0
machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0
machdep.cpu.feature_bits: -1477837889 384
machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 0 0
machdep.cpu.stepping: 5
machdep.cpu.signature: 1685
machdep.cpu.brand: 22
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 TM EST TM2

thank you,
Leon

mrheat

mrheat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

00. For me its unclear if CPU really does the mVolts down also!

this got me thinking and i did some testing...

In Windows XP SP3, i use Rightmark CPU Utility to undervolt and step the CPU.
I can use 0.950mv on all P-States 6.0x up to 11.0x Multi...good merom stepping.
For stressing cpu i use Core2MaxPerf 1.2 from Mathias Witthopf, nothing heats better..

in 6.0x166 = 998mhz after 10 min idling i have 50C
in 6.0x166 = 998mhz after 10 min Core2MaxPerf 1.2 i have 63C

in 11.0x166 = 1829mhz after 10 min idling i have 51C
in 11.0x166 = 1829mhz after 10 min Core2MaxPerf 1.2 i have 73C

In OSX 10.5.4 i use 1.3.2 Kext along with speedstep.app
i manually set p-states the same as rightmark in windows. (As voltages i took 850 in plist to be sure to get the minimum 0.950)
to stress cpu use cputest from coolbook.se

in 6.0x166 = 998mhz after 10 min Cputest i have 61C

in 11.0x166 = 1829mhz after 10 min Cputest i have 67C

Temps are taken with Temperature Monitor from Marcel Bresink.

mitch_de i think this proves undervolting is working..

Actually in OSX i have lower Temps, i think this is because this CpuTest thingy
is not stressing hard enough.

To prove stepping is working i xbenched lowest and highest steps 3 times without disk test
and took the average:

lowest: 80.21

highest: 163.11

we really could need an improved installer+configurator+stepper+debugging app!

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

this got me thinking and i did some testing...

In Windows XP SP3, i use Rightmark CPU Utility to undervolt and step the CPU.
I can use 0.950mv on all P-States 6.0x up to 11.0x Multi...good merom stepping.
For stressing cpu i use Core2MaxPerf 1.2 from Mathias Witthopf, nothing heats better..

in 6.0x166 = 998mhz after 10 min Core2MaxPerf 1.2 i have 63C

in 11.0x166 = 1829mhz after 10 min Core2MaxPerf 1.2 i have 73C

In OSX 10.5.4 i use 1.3.2 Kext along with speedstep.app
i manually set p-states the same as rightmark in windows. (As voltages i took 850 in plist to be sure to get the minimum 0.950)
to stress cpu use cputest from coolbook.se

in 6.0x166 = 998mhz after 10 min Cputest i have 61C

in 11.0x166 = 1829mhz after 10 min Cputest i have 67C

Temps are taken with Temperature Monitor from Marcel Bresink.

mitch_de i think this proves undervolting is working..

THANKS !

WHAT happens if you change the 0.950mv to your default mVolts in OS X ?
CPU temp should get significant higher values than 0.950mV if our .kext really changes mVolts.
If CPU temp is near same 0.950mV and 1.200mV , than VID cant be really changed.
VID changes has an major effect for powerusage/temp.
I also will test my cpu/board configs.

What i also think: C1E Mode (Enhanced Ideling ) in BIOS. Also changes VID !!!
Does this need an driver? - if not (i think) it does also some powersaving / gives an "mix" of with speedstep (by driver) different saving strategies ?
I have C1E Mode enabled. I will test also if something changes if i disable it.

mrheat

mrheat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
at stock volts i think its 1.125 up to 1.215 with the merom i only can stress the laptop for very short time, as i hit 85C it shuts off

the laptop was upgraded by me to c2d merom t5600 had a coreduo t2300 before, the cooling solution is just sufficiant for the slower coreduo
gets up to high 80C with the t2300 at stock volts already...

so i can really say downvolting works in osx, simply because i would not be able to run full load at highest speed on stock vcore..

regarding c1e mode, i cant tell because i have no such option in my very limited bios.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

at stock volts i think its 1.125 up to 1.215 with the merom i only can stress the laptop for very short time, as i hit 85C it shuts off
the laptop was upgraded by me to c2d merom t5600 had a coreduo t2300 before, the cooling solution is just sufficiant for the slower coreduo
gets up to high 80C with the t2300 at stock volts already...
so i can really say downvolting works in osx, simply because i would not be able to run full load at highest speed on stock vcore..
regarding c1e mode, i cant tell because i have no such option in my very limited bios.

Thanks again.
So we see:
The kexts do both and : MHZ UP/DOWN + VID change is working.

C1E: we must wait for real professionals - if your bios didnt have this option, it will be sure enabled.
Later to day i will try CE1 disabled and look for any cpu temp changes idle/benching
I have an desktop CPU E4400, and since yesterday running in my new love: GIGABYTE EP35-DS3 :(

WREID !
I seen, using 1.4.0 SUPERHAI auuitrottle .kext that something didnt WORK.
MHZ didnt change. DCPUManger and dmesg shows that it try to change - but in real it didnt change!.
I seen that using Benching - always fast, even if i force by the STEP to slowest MHZ.
No errors in dmesg. Also autothrottling only works "virtuell", showing in DCPUManager MHZ changes but not real.
I will switch back to the non autotrottling 1.3.2 with always running speedstep.app.
Here you can , that the difference to 1.4.0 autothrottling, see with sysctl output also (Benches, Hw-Monitor MHZ) currentMHZ.

nigelbb

nigelbb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
The original mercurysquad 1.3.2 kext when used on my Dell M60 Pentium M is definitely working. I can reduce the clock speed from 1.7GHz 1484mV to 600MHz with 796mV & the CPU result in xbench drops to about one third of the original (53 down to 18). However the underneath of the laptop is still hot & the fans are running. Running Windows XP the underside is much cooler & the fans do not run.

loudog3114

loudog3114

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
hm... does this change voltages too or just the speed? I dont notice any improvement in battery life, though it seems to be thorttling properly according to the speedstep app.

It also doesnt show any numbers under the voltages menu, just shows the slider.

FYI its an m1530 with the t8300

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

hm... does this change voltages too or just the speed? I dont notice any improvement in battery life, though it seems to be thorttling properly according to the speedstep app.

It also doesnt show any numbers under the voltages menu, just shows the slider.

FYI its an m1530 with the t8300

For the own VID changes you must have an OWN PSTATES table in your .plist of the .kext.
All beta speedstep.apps cant do/show this VID changes - only the MHZ. If you have own VID settings in the .plist,
they are used in pair of its MHZ even the control app didnt show that really. The same happen to the VIDs if you dont use
own PSTATES , the CPU defaults are used, but are not shown, cant be changed by the control app.

Look some posts above how this looks. You must only add the number of PSTATES your CPU has - in the already
available 4 entrys (are DISABLED by the word DISABLED at the name - remove that ending DISABLED to use your own).
If your CPU has 3 PSTATES you entry 3 and delete the 4. dummy entry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy