openSUSE - 32 or 64 bit?

Suprjacob

Yay! Suprjacob's first poll!  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which version should I get?

• Get the 32-bit version, Suprjacob!
    • Naw, get the new 64-bit version!

25 posts in this topic

According to most people here, openSUSE is the OSX of Linux. And, well, I'm gonna try it.

I'm on their download page right now, and was wondering, should I get the 32 or 64 bit version? I have used Ubuntu 32- and 64-bit versions on my Hac before, but didn't really notice a big difference between them.

What are the differences between them?

Well, the main difference is speed and driver support (or lack of). 64-bit should give you a noticeable speed increase, but some hardware may or may not work, depending on if the manufacturer has made 64-bit Linux drivers for it. Judging by your signature, you shouldn't have any problems with finding drivers.

I'd say go for 64-bit. :P

I hadn't seen this thread yet, but I suggest the 32-bit version. You'll have fewer compatibility and conflicts issues (for instance Smart failed miserably in 10.3 64-bit because of tons of conflicts).

As to the speed, you'll hardly notice the difference, if at all.

Okay, after a nice install of openSUSE, I ran into a world of problems.

The big one was GRUB. (Took me two days to figure out) So, I'm used to seeing this:

title Windows Vista
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
savedefault
makeactive

and I get this with openSUSE:

title Windows Vista
root (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

what is this? wha-wha-what? i don't have a clue how that works. and well, it didn't. so i try to boot Leopard with the same setup i had when i had Ubuntu:

title Mac OSX Leopard
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
savedefault
makeactive

and when i try to boot i get a "HFS+ Partition Error". oh what the hell, it worked with ubuntu's grub! so i tried it with openSUSE's freakish entry style. same error.

this is what i learned: you cannot have the command "savedefault" with openSUSE. I don't have a clue why. It's the same version of GRUB that I had with Ubuntu, but... i dunno.

NEXT ISSUE: (still unresolved)

My nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB vs. Compiz. Card works fine with nVidia drivers for openSUSE (little issue installing, but fixed). Except Compiz is all messed up. The Animations don't work at all and my toolbar/panel appears transparent in all KDE3/KDE4/GNOME setups.

I dunno whats wrong with that. Ubuntu just works period. But otherwise, openSUSE looks very nice! I love the green :)

So, Here are my Linux standings:

First Place - Ubuntu (8.04)

Second Place - openSUSE (11)

Third Place - Fedora (9)

Fourth Place - Mandriva Free (2008.0)

Hi Suprjacob

Re booting problems: "get hold" of Acronis OS Selector, it makes your life very easy:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/produ...ltibooting.html

You can also find a previous version (it should work) in Hiren's BootCD:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Re Compiz: I don't use it, but I agree with you: it is more trouble than it is worth.

Okay, after a nice install of openSUSE, I ran into a world of problems.

The big one was GRUB. (Took me two days to figure out) So, I'm used to seeing this:

title Windows Vista
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
savedefault
makeactive

and I get this with openSUSE:

title Windows Vista
root (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

what is this? wha-wha-what? i don't have a clue how that works. and well, it didn't. so i try to boot Leopard with the same setup i had when i had Ubuntu:

title Mac OSX Leopard
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
savedefault
makeactive

and when i try to boot i get a "HFS+ Partition Error". oh what the hell, it worked with ubuntu's grub! so i tried it with openSUSE's freakish entry style. same error.

this is what i learned: you cannot have the command "savedefault" with openSUSE. I don't have a clue why. It's the same version of GRUB that I had with Ubuntu, but... i dunno.

NEXT ISSUE: (still unresolved)

My nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB vs. Compiz. Card works fine with nVidia drivers for openSUSE (little issue installing, but fixed). Except Compiz is all messed up. The Animations don't work at all and my toolbar/panel appears transparent in all KDE3/KDE4/GNOME setups.

I dunno whats wrong with that. Ubuntu just works period. But otherwise, openSUSE looks very nice! I love the green ;)

So, Here are my Linux standings:

First Place - Ubuntu (8.04)

Second Place - openSUSE (11)

Third Place - Fedora (9)

Fourth Place - Mandriva Free (2008.0)

Do it manually like you would in ubuntu "zypper install nano && sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst" in the command line (or use the yast bootloader utility to edit configuration files)and put:

title	   OSx86
root		(hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader	+1

(using your drive/partition ofcourse) then use yast's 'bootloader utility' to make one default or change the position in the grub menu.

On Compiz, did you follow the openSUSE wiki or manually install?

i always used GEdit to edit the menu.lst. even in KDE. i tried using the bootloader thing in YAST, but that doesn't even do anything (doesn't touch menu.lst at all, so not sure what's wrong there)

And I don't seem to understand the package manager? I'm used to Synaptic lol. How do I configure it?

And I don't seem to understand the package manager? I'm used to Synaptic lol. How do I configure it?

You should have been offered to configure it at first boot. If not, read this:

http://forums.opensuse.org/how-faq/390648-...tion-fails.html

(If you can't read it because you are unregistered, let me know).

Why is not having an auto-config a feature? They should work on that. Maybe get a selection menu with every Repo on those pages in their wiki. That would work nice, not having to manually enter the URLs like I just did :)

But otherwise, cool. Everything is working great now. I even got Compiz to work.

On Ubuntu, I absolutely loved GNOME and hated KDE/Kubuntu entirely. On openSUSE, GNOME is just terrible looking. They completely ruined it. And I love openSUSE's KDE! (3.5, don't like version 4). So I'm using KDE now :P

Why is not having an auto-config a feature? They should work on that. Maybe get a selection menu with every Repo on those pages in their wiki. That would work nice, not having to manually enter the URLs like I just did :unsure:

That how they say it should work. But sometimes it doesn't. In that case try deleting every entry in YaST-> Software Repositories. Then openSUSE Updater (the applet) should offer you a configuration with about 20 different repos. Select everything, as you can disable them at any time.

On openSUSE, GNOME is just terrible looking. They completely ruined it.

Yeah, they tried to make a copy of KDE. Pretty pointless, if you ask me. Some people seem to love it, though.