Mac Pro MK II

aqua-mac

72 posts in this topic

Once again sir (actually I know its more than once) - I have to congratulate you on your pc fabrication skillz. They are simply amazing, and this is no exception. Great work mate :]

Thanks Fragile mac, glad you liked it. This one is currently my everyday computer and I am really enjoying using it. Still needs a few finishing touches.

Jedric,

It has a Quad core 2.4 that is overclocked to 3.4 GHz. It was really hot here today - currently running @ 39-42 degrees core 1 to 4 with just itunes & Safari running. Not a lot in it with the last water-cooled project, processor wise, but the dual 9800 GTX's certainly whack some heat out of the back of the case! On the last watercooled project, the 8800 GTX (flashed to Quadro FX 5600) was in the water-cooling loop so stayed cool.

All the fans are motherboard controlled and are currently running at 33% speed so it is very simple to boost them. The temps come tumbling down to 35-38 if I dial things up to 38%.

Regards,

aquamac.

Thanks Fragile mac, glad you liked it. This one is currently my everyday computer and I am really enjoying using it. Still needs a few finishing touches.

Jedric,

It has a Quad core 2.4 that is overclocked to 3.4 GHz. It was really hot here today - currently running @ 39-42 degrees core 1 to 4 with just itunes & Safari running. Not a lot in it with the last water-cooled project, processor wise, but the dual 9800 GTX's certainly whack some heat out of the back of the case! On the last watercooled project, the 8800 GTX (flashed to Quadro FX 5600) was in the water-cooling loop so stayed cool.

All the fans are motherboard controlled and are currently running at 33% speed so it is very simple to boost them. The temps come tumbling down to 25-38 if I dial things up to 38%.

Regards,

aquamac.

Is that thru the temperature monitor? if I overclock mine to 3.02 GHz(running just the stock fan it temps soar to about 60 degress) running Geekbench, in the BIOS it about 10-15 degress less.

I havent got the guts to go 3.4GHz using the stock fan. I just recieved my CPU block today from aqua computer, I still have to order the radiator, pump and resevoir. Then I'll try 3.6GHz.

How did you control the fan on the motherboard?

Why'd you have to cut the bottom of the case. Looks like the MB was able to fit the case???

1. Yes that is through temp monitor. In the bios temps are as you say around 10-15 degrees cooler. I am really pleased with the "Evo" cooler. Combined with the 92 x 38 mm fan from the processor on a G5 it is really effective.

2. On the Asus P5E3 Premium, you have many options to control the fans either individually or collectively under the heading Hardware monitor in the bios.

3. The board may look like it would fit but it does not. If you look really carefully, it protrudes from the bottom of the case ever so slightly. All ATX boards will be about 4 mm out of line with the PCI slots - very annoying! The side affect of this is that the bottom heat sink is in "the fresh air" so is aided with cooling.

It's the quietest Hackintosh I have built, quieter than my water cooled ones, where you can always hear the buzz noise from the pump.

Having said that, it has been a labour of love and taken quite a while to make it look like not much out of the ordinary has happened. There is no software to control fans in leo I am afraid, but the bios does a good job.

It even sounds a bit like a real mac pro as the fans ramp slightly higher when you switch on, then immediately quieten down.

1. Yes that is through temp monitor. In the bios temps are as you say around 10-15 degrees cooler. I am really pleased with the "Evo" cooler. Combined with the 92 x 38 mm fan from the processor on a G5 it is really effective.

2. On the Asus P5E3 Premium, you have many options to control the fans either individually or collectively under the heading Hardware monitor in the bios.

3. The board may look like it would fit but it does not. If you look really carefully, it protrudes from the bottom of the case ever so slightly. All ATX boards will be about 4 mm out of line with the PCI slots - very annoying! The side affect of this is that the bottom heat sink is in "the fresh air" so is aided with cooling.

I see, I thought you were using some software to control the fans in the BIOS from leopard. Whats the noise like with all the fans running? is the system pretty quiet?

Hi aqua-mac

Very nice job I plan to do the same project and I hope I can do the same job

I have also a question my case dosen't have on the bottom the cover for the airport antenna board

airport antenna board 076-1230

Where can I find one and also where can I find the speaker 922-7676 ?

Thanks

Hi Jedric,

Yes that is exactly what I did as the standoffs are then the right length. As the 3 bottom standoffs ended up on the slightly raised area at the very bottom, I had to counteract that by grinding about 2 mm off the height of those 3 only.

Hi Jedric,

Yes that is exactly what I did as the standoffs are then the right length. As the 3 bottom standoffs ended up on the slightly raised area at the very bottom, I had to counteract that by grinding about 2 mm off the height of those 3 only.

Great thanks for the info :huh:

Cheers Stell,

Have you started that next mac pro project yet?

Those cases are $500 USD. I doubt that anyone has that kind of money to throw around unless they are selling them. Amazing machines as they may be.

Those cases are $500 USD. I doubt that anyone has that kind of money to throw around unless they are selling them. Amazing machines as they may be.

not really i got mine for 200$ new in box, still factory plastic wrapped, plus 50$ for shipping.

total - $250 (eBay is so awesome)

-D-

• 1 month later...

Power LED working on Hackintosh during sleep!

I got my hack pro power led to flash during sleep. The only way I got this to work was to cut the traces on the power switch - to the power button and then solder a wire either side of the led, then connect that to sleep header on the motherboard. You must also have a motherboard that supports a blinking power led too. Asus boards do generally, but Gigabyte boards do not with the bios set to S3. For sleep function to work correctly, I have found that hackintoshes work best when set to S3 in the bios.

Here is a link to a movie of sleep working on my hack pro. It is a 5 meg download. Plays back in itunes.

Sleep Led Working

:angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Haroldc,

Just finished my back panel & base panel mod, here she blows - so glad to get back access to all my rear sockets (if you will pardon the expression!)

backplate2.jpeg

bacpanel1a.jpeg

backpanel4a.jpeg

The onboard wireless "n" works too, but I need to open out the holes slightly to get the aerials connected!