• Interests:Computers, Coding, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Video Games
Abit LG-95C but its not a good overclocker i have 1 availble

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
Are all those fans Noctua, and what did you used to mount them, I'm thinking about doing the same.

Thank You.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Congtats Torque86, that is a really clean mod! I would be proud of that myself - it is the best I have seen!!. I am thinking of doing another Mac pro case which will have to be a Micro ATX board, but I want to put in 2 9800 GTX cards as I have done here. Anyone know of a core 2 MICRO-ATX board with 2 16x slots in it (even if 1 runs at 4x)?

Hey Aqua ^^

The G33M-D2SR has indeed got a PCI-E 4x slot, but I dunno, anyway OSX will not recognise any SLI setup...

If u want muscle in Windows ( /barf ) you can fit a 9800GX2 and it will work in single mode in OSX and SLI in Winbarf...

TBH much better a full 16X *2 con a GX2 than a full 16X + 4X that maybe won't even fit...

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Are all those fans Noctua, and what did you used to mount them, I'm thinking about doing the same.

Thank You.

The fans are mounted on an L-Shape aluminium support, you can find that easily in any hardware (intended as tools, screwdrivers and such) and make 2 round holes on the edge to not stop the airflow.

Then under the L-Support there is a cable cover, which I bought at the same shop, which consists of 2 parts, that joined together make a sort of a duct where the wires will pass. And btw, when they are joined they are also very solidly together, I can even raise the whole computer by the fans! :(

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
thank you im going to try that once I get the power supply done. I need to buy the G5 power suppyl enclousre

olinboy1

olinboy1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
@Torque

Care to share any of the resources (websites, part numbers, etc) you used to get your parts for the rear panel? Sharing is caring! :D

I'm just still undecided on what to do with my rear connections, I'm currently "ridin dirty" with the cables just run through the empty port spaces. I can't bring myself to fire up the dremmel to the back just yet.

KellyKelly

KellyKelly

-|0 ,.,>\\\<,., 0|-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:HACKINTOSH, MUSIC AND ANIME [INUYASHA, FULL METAL ALCHEMIST, AND mORE hehe ]
Nice, I like how the rear ports are fully working.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

@Torque

Care to share any of the resources (websites, part numbers, etc) you used to get your parts for the rear panel? Sharing is caring! :(

I'm just still undecided on what to do with my rear connections, I'm currently "ridin dirty" with the cables just run through the empty port spaces. I can't bring myself to fire up the dremmel to the back just yet.

Don't rape it! It's perfectly doable.

Here are my sources:

USB = searched for "usb receptacles" on ebay, got 20 for $10, brand new.

Firewire = cannibalised an old card.

FW800 = as per pics

Audio and Digital audio: eBay, search for "jack monoral female" for the digital and "jack stereo female" for the audio

LAN = Cannibalised some broken USB to LAN cards, they were small and tight enough for the deed.

The ports are mounted on a custom made aluminium frame. USe your dremel on that! :D

AlainTox714

AlainTox714

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
[quote name='TorqueX86' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:42 PM' post='718245']
Just joking Aqua.. I love your work ;) <Grin>

You can also see the fan board. This stuff is really good. It has several sensors and 4 fan connectors. You will have to program the board, and it will work by itself thereafter, no need of a particular OS or whatever. Basically the fans in the case will blow air when, where and how much is needed. Result? Hey is the Mac on or...

Torque, you did a very good job, the result is clean and beautiful.
I like to ask you something: what kind of fan board do you use and where do you find it?

JL

olinboy1

olinboy1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Don't rape it! It's perfectly doable.

Here are my sources:

USB = searched for "usb receptacles" on ebay, got 20 for $10, brand new.

Firewire = cannibalised an old card.

FW800 = as per pics

Audio and Digital audio: eBay, search for "jack monoral female" for the digital and "jack stereo female" for the audio

LAN = Cannibalised some broken USB to LAN cards, they were small and tight enough for the deed.

The ports are mounted on a custom made aluminium frame. USe your dremel on that! :D

Thanks for the info! I also found a site that has some interesting components that could be useful to others http://www.cypressindustries.com/

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
is that a noctua cpu fan/heatsink, you have inspired me clean, elegant, and roomy, mine right now is all cluttered, i need to modify the power supply to be able to fit a G5 one. Because it is sticking out like a beast. Yeah, Noctua those fans look nice.

lord_muad_dib

lord_muad_dib

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,398 posts
nice work pal!
bella li!

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

is that a noctua cpu fan/heatsink, you have inspired me clean, elegant, and roomy, mine right now is all cluttered, i need to modify the power supply to be able to fit a G5 one. Because it is sticking out like a beast. Yeah, Noctua those fans look nice.

Thanks for the nice comments :P Noctua fans don't only look nice, they sound like angels too :P I sit close to my Mac and even when fans spin at full speed I cannot hear it.

^^

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hey how did you get the usb ports set up? Did you use the internal connectors on the motherboard or what? I can't figure out how i'm going to do this in my case :S

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
what cpu fan is that, i got a noctua one but the

Noctua NH-U12F

and do you think it is possible to use the G5 enclosure with a Regular ATX motherboard

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

and do you think it is possible to use the G5 enclosure with a Regular ATX motherboard

I don't think so, without sawing-hacking-cutting off pieces of the case and/or losing slots and/or drives spaces...

My motherboard has nothing to envy to a full atx one, im very happy with it!

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I don't think so, without sawing-hacking-cutting off pieces of the case and/or losing slots and/or drives spaces...

I have a full atx mobo in my case. Its an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I didn't want to cut the case so I moved the mobo down a bit. I lost 1 PCI Express 16x slot and two PCI Express 1x slots. But thats okay for now. I'm using the other PCI Express 16x slot (only runs at 8x however). I don't need anything extra at the moment.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I have a full atx mobo in my case. Its an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I didn't want to cut the case so I moved the mobo down a bit. I lost 1 PCI Express 16x slot and two PCI Express 1x slots. But thats okay for now. I'm using the other PCI Express 16x slot (only runs at 8x however). I don't need anything extra at the moment.

That sounds quite clever, but I personally wouldnt trade a full ATX with a halvened PCI Express speed and the removal of the power supply plate... The whole purpose of my mod was to make a perfectly stealthy mod...

Anyway, working on it again to remove the clutter of wires behind the motherboard. This time I will hide an USB/FW hub where the power supply is, and utilise only 2 small ribbon cables, one for USB and one for FW :-)

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Anyway, working on it again to remove the clutter of wires behind the motherboard. This time I will hide an USB/FW hub where the power supply is, and utilise only 2 small ribbon cables, one for USB and one for FW :-)

Please post pictures when your done :P I've been working on my back panel a little bit. So far all i have is Digital Out, Audio In, Audio Out, and both Ethernet ports (I think my wiring got screwed up because the ethernet doesn't work anymore with the adapters). For usb I use the front panel and just connect a hub to it. The wire coming out of the Digital Input slot is my wifi antenna wire ;)

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I can't find my camera :P

Posted Image

Here's the back

Posted Image

As you can see I still have a lot of work to do. I can't decide how i want my usb ports connected. Either from a usb extension cable or a usb receptor from the motherboard connectors

Posted Image

It emits a blue glow becuase my power supply has LED's in it. I plan to take them out but i don't want to void my warranty yet!

Posted Image

The inside is quite cluttered! I bought a 850 watt powersupply so it has a lot of extra cables. I need to find a place to put them and i also need a way to mount the powersupply.

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Any updates torque? i'd like to see more pictures of your work :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy