Torque's Ultimate Mod, NOW FULL ATX!

TorqueX86

106 posts in this topic

@Torque

Care to share any of the resources (websites, part numbers, etc) you used to get your parts for the rear panel? Sharing is caring! :D

I'm just still undecided on what to do with my rear connections, I'm currently "ridin dirty" with the cables just run through the empty port spaces. I can't bring myself to fire up the dremmel to the back just yet.

@Torque

Care to share any of the resources (websites, part numbers, etc) you used to get your parts for the rear panel? Sharing is caring! :(

I'm just still undecided on what to do with my rear connections, I'm currently "ridin dirty" with the cables just run through the empty port spaces. I can't bring myself to fire up the dremmel to the back just yet.

Don't rape it! It's perfectly doable.

Here are my sources:

USB = searched for "usb receptacles" on ebay, got 20 for $10, brand new.

Firewire = cannibalised an old card.

FW800 = as per pics

Audio and Digital audio: eBay, search for "jack monoral female" for the digital and "jack stereo female" for the audio

LAN = Cannibalised some broken USB to LAN cards, they were small and tight enough for the deed.

The ports are mounted on a custom made aluminium frame. USe your dremel on that! :D

Just joking Aqua.. I love your work ;) <Grin>

You can also see the fan board. This stuff is really good. It has several sensors and 4 fan connectors. You will have to program the board, and it will work by itself thereafter, no need of a particular OS or whatever. Basically the fans in the case will blow air when, where and how much is needed. Result? Hey is the Mac on or...

Torque, you did a very good job, the result is clean and beautiful.

I like to ask you something: what kind of fan board do you use and where do you find it?

JL

Don't rape it! It's perfectly doable.

Here are my sources:

USB = searched for "usb receptacles" on ebay, got 20 for $10, brand new.

Firewire = cannibalised an old card.

FW800 = as per pics

Audio and Digital audio: eBay, search for "jack monoral female" for the digital and "jack stereo female" for the audio

LAN = Cannibalised some broken USB to LAN cards, they were small and tight enough for the deed.

The ports are mounted on a custom made aluminium frame. USe your dremel on that! :D

Thanks for the info! I also found a site that has some interesting components that could be useful to others http://www.cypressindustries.com/

• 2 weeks later...

is that a noctua cpu fan/heatsink, you have inspired me clean, elegant, and roomy, mine right now is all cluttered, i need to modify the power supply to be able to fit a G5 one. Because it is sticking out like a beast. Yeah, Noctua those fans look nice.

is that a noctua cpu fan/heatsink, you have inspired me clean, elegant, and roomy, mine right now is all cluttered, i need to modify the power supply to be able to fit a G5 one. Because it is sticking out like a beast. Yeah, Noctua those fans look nice.

Thanks for the nice comments :P Noctua fans don't only look nice, they sound like angels too :P I sit close to my Mac and even when fans spin at full speed I cannot hear it.

^^

• 2 weeks later...

what cpu fan is that, i got a noctua one but the

Noctua NH-U12F

and do you think it is possible to use the G5 enclosure with a Regular ATX motherboard

and do you think it is possible to use the G5 enclosure with a Regular ATX motherboard

I don't think so, without sawing-hacking-cutting off pieces of the case and/or losing slots and/or drives spaces...

My motherboard has nothing to envy to a full atx one, im very happy with it!

I don't think so, without sawing-hacking-cutting off pieces of the case and/or losing slots and/or drives spaces...

I have a full atx mobo in my case. Its an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I didn't want to cut the case so I moved the mobo down a bit. I lost 1 PCI Express 16x slot and two PCI Express 1x slots. But thats okay for now. I'm using the other PCI Express 16x slot (only runs at 8x however). I don't need anything extra at the moment.

I have a full atx mobo in my case. Its an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I didn't want to cut the case so I moved the mobo down a bit. I lost 1 PCI Express 16x slot and two PCI Express 1x slots. But thats okay for now. I'm using the other PCI Express 16x slot (only runs at 8x however). I don't need anything extra at the moment.

That sounds quite clever, but I personally wouldnt trade a full ATX with a halvened PCI Express speed and the removal of the power supply plate... The whole purpose of my mod was to make a perfectly stealthy mod...

Anyway, working on it again to remove the clutter of wires behind the motherboard. This time I will hide an USB/FW hub where the power supply is, and utilise only 2 small ribbon cables, one for USB and one for FW :-)

Anyway, working on it again to remove the clutter of wires behind the motherboard. This time I will hide an USB/FW hub where the power supply is, and utilise only 2 small ribbon cables, one for USB and one for FW :-)

Please post pictures when your done :P I've been working on my back panel a little bit. So far all i have is Digital Out, Audio In, Audio Out, and both Ethernet ports (I think my wiring got screwed up because the ethernet doesn't work anymore with the adapters). For usb I use the front panel and just connect a hub to it. The wire coming out of the Digital Input slot is my wifi antenna wire ;)

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I can't find my camera :P

back.gif

Here's the back

rearpanel.gif

As you can see I still have a lot of work to do. I can't decide how i want my usb ports connected. Either from a usb extension cable or a usb receptor from the motherboard connectors

front.gif

It emits a blue glow becuase my power supply has LED's in it. I plan to take them out but i don't want to void my warranty yet!

inside.gif

The inside is quite cluttered! I bought a 850 watt powersupply so it has a lot of extra cables. I need to find a place to put them and i also need a way to mount the powersupply.

• 5 weeks later...
Any updates torque? i'd like to see more pictures of your work :)

Thanks for the interest :-)

The answer is: YES. I'm setting up these modifications to the case at the moment:

- Add a hybrid USB2/Firewire hub internally, in the power supply area, so that I can only use one USB and one FW internal plugs and all the ports of the case will be perfectly working without cluttering wires and cables.

- Add a hard drive bracket in the front part. Not sure whether to add a 3.5" or a 2.5" for SSD drives, I'll see about that!

Stay tuned uh? :)

UPDATE for me!!

back.jpg

I took out the crappy wireless that comes with the p5w and bought myself a shiny new Belkin Wireless G card!

back%20panel.jpg

I added two usb ports and the firewire 400 port! I still need a firewire 800 port and a toslink coupler for the surround sound. I'm quite satisfied with my current setup though so i probably won't get those things for a while cuz i'm lazy... ;)

wiring.jpg

Here's what it looks like without the mobo in there.

inside.jpg

Excuse my mess inside! i have so many wires i don't know what to do!!

front.jpg

Still no firewire from front panel though... I only have one connector on my mobo.

I finally got some proper cooling installed. I bought 4 noctua fans. I've only installed 2 of them but my overall temperatures of everything have dropped over 10ºC! Its amazing! Maybe i will post pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building a PC in the coming month or two for gaming and FL Studio in a Coolermaster Cosmos S case, still primarily using my MacBook Pro as I prefer OS X over Windows. I was going to do a G5 Hack last year but decided against it because I was worried I'd have to Dremel the back. I didn't really want to cut ANYTHING on the G5 case and I am still very confused about what exactly you've used in terms of receptacles.

Did you just glue a receptacle onto the rear I/O panel and run the other end into the motherboard where a usb cable would usually plug into? So a Male to Female receptacle?

Also did you glue the female end onto a plate first and then onto the I/O panel or just glue it straight to the I/O panel.

Any closer pictures or more input would really help me out as I do want to mod a G5 case someday! Perhaps build a cheap Hack for File Storage!

Thanks!

AUGUST UPDATE:

I'm (finally) going holidays tomorrow, and will bring my Fluff with me.

I intend to add a RAID rack and a hybrid hub to remove once and for all the cable clutter behind the motherboard. I will also redo the internal wiring using better and thicker shielded cables to avoind electric noise and all.

In september I also decided to order a custom aluminium grill to place on the raid rack and processor, i just need to figure it out how to use the blasted 3d program for the blueprints :D

I'll be back in about 20 days, pics will follow!

/Aloha

I'm building a PC in the coming month or two for gaming and FL Studio in a Coolermaster Cosmos S case, still primarily using my MacBook Pro as I prefer OS X over Windows. I was going to do a G5 Hack last year but decided against it because I was worried I'd have to Dremel the back. I didn't really want to cut ANYTHING on the G5 case and I am still very confused about what exactly you've used in terms of receptacles.

Did you just glue a receptacle onto the rear I/O panel and run the other end into the motherboard where a usb cable would usually plug into? So a Male to Female receptacle?

Also did you glue the female end onto a plate first and then onto the I/O panel or just glue it straight to the I/O panel.

Any closer pictures or more input would really help me out as I do want to mod a G5 case someday! Perhaps build a cheap Hack for File Storage!

Thanks!

Like i said in another topic, just take a look at frontx.com. they have all the necessary receptacles for usb, firewire 400, and audio. Thats where i got my stuff from. For ethernet i just got an LAN joiner from my local computer shop and cut it in half and then soldered a short ethernet cable onto both halfs of the joiner. this makes it so i have dual ethernet ports. Hope that makes sense. If you have any more questions just ask (i.e. what exact parts did i use).

Also, i just glued my ports directly to the case, but TorqueX86 used a metal plate for his.

As for usb/firewire. I wouldn't plug the usb/firewire into the back of the motherboard. Use an internal motherboard connector like this:

p1012_030p2.gifp1052_030p2.gif

All i did to make them fit into the small space between the case and the mobo was cut off the black plastic part with an Xacto knife so it was just the actual connecter and the wires connected to it. Don't know if that makes sense but if i can i will post more pics.

Cheers!

~bmxer55

P.S. Torque: Sorry if you feel like i'm taking over your thread! I don't mean to!

• 2 weeks later...
one more question torque

how did you use the original power cable up for the sata drives and the cd drive, (8 pin or 6 pin connector i think)?

Well, there are 2 versions of the G5 case, the PCI64 and the PCI-E one. I have the latter, and that one uses a small 4-pin cable, that was very easily adapted to fit into one fo the power sockets of my power supply.

The PCI64 version has a special connector, you can make a customised and perfectly fitting cable by cutting up a normal ATX power connector using the 6 (was it 6 or 8?) matching holes. I did so with my first G5 case and worked perfectly.

Hope that helps!

PS. New pictures of my Fluff Pro RAID soon.