Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

screenshot20101120at556.png

Kakewalk is a simple method for installing Snow Leopard on a PC.

If you're happy with my work please consider donating :) Thanks a lot!

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Compatible motherboards:

• Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
  • Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD5
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
  • Gigabyte EX58A-UD7
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
  • Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
  • Gigabyte P55M-UD2
  • MSI P55M-GD45
  • Gigabyte G41M-ES2L
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
  • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

CD/DVD Method:

1. Burn Kakewalk.iso to a disc.

2. Boot from the disc. Follow onscreen instructions. Install Snow Leopard.

3. Install KakewalkBoot.pkg from BootCD

4. You're up and running!

DOWNLOAD KAKEWALK

Download this to get instructions on how to install Snow Leopard on your PC using Kakewalk.

Kakewalk recent changes:

v3.0
- Added Chameleon RC5 r594
- Added support for P55-USB3
- Added Lnx2mac's Realtek network driver
- USB method for installation no longer available. (It was too difficult to maintain two versions)
- Improved stability during installation with P55 chipset
- Fixed a lot of bugs
- New look

v2.2
- Added support for X58A-UD3R
- Fixed sound with G41M-ES2L in 10.6.3
- Fixed issues with X58A-UD7 (Orange HDDs, Sound)

v2.1
- Fixed sound for all ALC888 boards in 10.6.3
- KakewalkCD should now work in Leopard

v2.0
- Added support for EX58-UD4P
- Added AsereBLN Booter 1.1.9
- Fixed installation issues with P55M-UD2
- Removed IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from multiple motherboards

Will this work without trouble with a E8500 Core2duo 3.0 GHz and a Nvidia 8600GT or does it require a 8800GT to work 100%?

[Guide] Installing Snow Leopard on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

These are the min requirements (except for the obvious ones :P ) for Snow Leopard to be fully functional on first boot:

• Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR
  • NVIDIA PCI-E Graphics card
  • Thumb drive - 8GB min
  • A Mac or a Hackintosh
  • Snow Leopard

DOWNLOAD

The download includes the guide (PDF) and the necessary package (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR.pkg)

It's based on the Lifehacker article/guide. Creds to them!

That's it!

Sidenote: It runs great! Stable, speedy, you name it!

Have any questions? Hit me! (I'm no hackintosh pro tho :) )

Will this work without trouble with a E8500 Core2duo 3.0 GHz and a Nvidia 8600GT or does it require a 8800GT to work 100%?

Yes, it will work just fine with those specs. I've tried it with a lot of different Nvidia GPUs (8800GT, 9400GT, 9500GT).

Yes, it will work just fine with those specs. I've tried it with a lot of different Nvidia GPUs (8800GT, 9400GT, 9500GT).

Perfect, thank you - was looking around to order a GA-EP45-UD3P as in lifehackers guide but the only availible in Sweden is the GA-EP45-UD3LR. So now I can order it and use you guide - big thanks!

Perfect, thank you - was looking around to order a GA-EP45-UD3P as in lifehackers guide but the only availible in Sweden is the GA-EP45-UD3LR. So now I can order it and use you guide - big thanks!

Inga problem ;) Yeah, it seems to be really hard to get by here.

Luckily UD3LR is almost identical. Good luck with your Snow Leopard adventure :)

Thank you very much, I just have one question. Does it have the cmos reset fix?

Roligt :P I have used this board as source for information for a long time but regged a account just some days ago. Funny that that the first thread I wrote it was from someone living in our small country :)

It's a small world :)

This forum is really great and is packed with a crapload of information. The biggest problem though is sorting it. You find one fix in one thread and one in another. The reason I made this guide is to have it in one place. The guide isn't just for the community but also for myself when I need to reinstall. It's hard to remember all of it :)

hi all

first: sorry for my bad english

i have a question: can i use also an "INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2,83GHz, 12MB Cache" cpu

with this install package without trouble, or only a dualcore?

thx 4 help and greetz from vienna

franky

hi all

first: sorry for my bad english

i have a question: can i use also an "INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2,83GHz, 12MB Cache" cpu

with this install package without trouble, or only a dualcore?

thx 4 help and greetz from vienna

franky

I used q8400 and it went through without any problems, so as yours should. I think todays C2Q/D don't have any problems with cores(cpu=1 ....).

I used q8400 and it went through without any problems, so as yours should. I think todays C2Q/D don't have any problems with cores(cpu=1 ....).

thank you for the fast answer ;)

i plan this system and kill my old AMD single CPU system:

Mainboard S-775 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3LR

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 512 MB GDDR3

DDR2-RAM KIT 4096 MB, PC2-1066 MHz, CL5, CORSAIR (or better 8 GB?)

SATA II Western Digital Caviar Black, 500GB, 32MB Cache

i think this is a good system for SL and windows

best regards

franky

I got my motherborad today and followed your guide and man - it is working great!! Now running a fast and working SL - my Windows 7 install feels lika old {censored} compared to this :help: Thank you - great guide!!!

I'm glad the guide was of use :)

Yeah, I know. It's blazing fast, stable and whatnot. A real treat to work with!

Update:

The DSDT.aml file that comes with the package is for BIOS version F7.

This BIOS update should be applied before following the guide.

The update decreases the boot time and improves CPU compatibility.

Download

Extract the files to a thumb drive. Flash BIOS with QFlash (Read about it in your manual)

hi,

i installed the download package to the usb stick but there isn´t a directory named "/applications/gigabyte" on the stick. what´s my mistake?

The script that creates the bootable thumb drive and copies files doesn't copy that directory to the thumb drive. It will only copy it to your harddrive (when /Applications folder is present)

I've changed this and have uploaded a new package. Use the download link in the first post!

The /Applications/Gigabyte folder should now show up on the thumb drive as well.

The script that creates the bootable thumb drive and copies files doesn't copy that directory to the thumb drive. It will only copy it to your harddrive (when /Applications folder is present)

I've changed this and have uploaded a new package. Use the download link in the first post!

The /Applications/Gigabyte folder should now show up on the thumb drive as well.

ok, thank you. i will try tomorrow (here it´s 11.00 pm)

I tried using your method and I am getting further in getting a full install done. My install hangs right after switches to graphic mode. In doing some digging, I've discovered that the ATI 3870 vid cards are pretty much useless in this type of rig. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo with a Q6600 proc. I'm probably going to pick up a NVidia 9800GT card tomorrow.

I am determined to get this running!!

hi, its me again.

with the new package i installed a directory named applications/gigabyte on the stick, BUT

it´s invisible (shows only up with tinkertools finder option "show hidden files")

is this correct?

Have you done a full install of Snow Leopard?

Install the bootloader to the harddrive (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR.pkg)

The /Applications/Gigabyte folder should then show up on the harddrive.

I decided to upgrade my BIOS today because I didn´t do that at the beginning. And I exchanged my harddrive for a bigger one - from 500 GB to 1 TB. And then I used the new install package and followed the guide but now it doesn´t work for me anymore. I booted from the USB drive, saw the apple came up and after 20 seconds the screen goes black and nothing more happens. The monitor is still on but it is all black. Anything changed in the new installer package?

Have you done a full install of Snow Leopard?

Install the bootloader to the harddrive (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR.pkg)

The /Applications/Gigabyte folder should then show up on the harddrive.

no, it isn´t on the harddrive. maybe this error occurs, because in germany the applications folder is named "Programme". i have copied it manually to the applications folder on the harddrive. then i ran the programs and bonjour script and all went ok. i made an software update, the system is now on 10.6.1.

i have another big problem: i have a new 1TB harddisk installed as disk1s2, snow leopard recognizes it when it boots up and when i initialize the drive with guid/hfs+ journaled, the blue bar stops in the middle and freezes.

i tried that in os x(booted frome the system harddisk) AND from the booted thumbdrive (harddisk utility at the beginning). same thing, it doesn´t work.

EDIT: i formatted the 1TB drive on an efi-x computer with 10.5.8, no problem. back in the SL computer the drive was recognized and i was asked if i want to use it with timemachine. i clicked "yes" and now it´s making the first tm-backup.

what the hell is going on here? why doesn´t SL format the drive properly?

no, it isn´t on the harddrive. maybe this error occurs, because in germany the applications folder is named "Programme". i have copied it manually to the applications folder on the harddrive. then i ran the programs and bonjour script and all went ok. i made an software update, the system is now on 10.6.1.

i have another big problem: i have a new 1TB harddisk installed as disk1s2, snow leopard recognizes it when it boots up and when i initialize the drive with guid/hfs+ journaled, the blue bar stops in the middle and freezes.

i tried that in os x(booted frome the system harddisk) AND from the booted thumbdrive (harddisk utility at the beginning). same thing, it doesn´t work.

EDIT: i formatted the 1TB drive on an efi-x computer with 10.5.8, no problem. back in the SL computer the drive was recognized and i was asked if i want to use it with timemachine. i clicked "yes" and now it´s making the first tm-backup.

what the hell is going on here? why doesn´t SL format the drive properly?

That's very strange. I've installed this hack on 4 computers with similar hardware (granted the motherboard was the same) I haven't had any problems with partitioning. Have you tried booting in verbose mode?