Thinking about buying a macbook pro

18 posts in this topic

Ok well.. im a student who will be doing video game design at uni this september (horahh!) and my current laptop is great and all... but im very interested in a macbook pro. They look like they would be able to handle some 3d moddeling.. not the greatest machine to choose for the job (portably) but they are so cool!... so if they are cool and can handle it I am thinking about it.

My question is who here has got student discount off one? and how much roughly did you get? I know you can ring them up or order from the instution you work at but im not there yet so cant really do that...

and anyone here think im right in thinking these babies will be ok for 3d modeling? I wiill be having a 1 hour trip to uni there and 1 hour back.. so i can work in those times. What I also love about the macbooks are there battery life.. its outstandingly good so that would be useful too!

thanks guys

A MacBook Pro would be good for 3D modeling. You don't have to wait until you are actually at school to check the prices for a student. You can just go to http://www.apple.com/education/store . It looks like a base MacBook Pro is $1799 for students, or $200 off. Any upgrades bought with it will also be discounted (even a monitor).

yes I know about that education store link, but you get a much bigger discount if you do it from your instution for further education. The education store there just covers junior schools ect for the UK then higher education is for like college ect and further is for Uni. We get more discount for going to Uni.

yes I know about that education store link, but you get a much bigger discount if you do it from your instution for further education. The education store there just covers junior schools ect for the UK then higher education is for like college ect and further is for Uni. We get more discount for going to Uni.

I guess it's different over there. Here the discount is the same whether you get it on the online Apple store, at your school's store, or in an Apple retail store.

ah... thanks anyway :), you over at america are lucky! your macs are cheaper anyway...much cheaper than for the UK :)

In my original response, I didn't realize you were from the UK. "At Uni" should have tipped me off. Sorry

yeah it runs osx pretty darn well, I got a dell 1390 wifi card to replace the intel one.. but it cant be powered :P.

I know i use maya and 3dsmax and cinema 4d, zbrush and mudbox :censored2:

but i was going to do a dual bootcamp thing on the macbook pro windows xp on one and leo on the other. Leo will run cinema 4d and zbrush (not the latest version tho) and maya but 3dsmax and mudbox are windows.

I might take a look into the amazon thing thanks

Try a macbook air. They're portable and convient to use. I recently got one and they do stuff like 3d-modeling if you install the tools.

Yes, they can do 3D modeling, but the integrated graphics won't be nearly as good for realtime rendering of whatever you're working on. Plus, the Air doesn't offer any advantages over the standard MacBook other than portability, while costing more. It has its uses, but I don't think 3D modeling is one of them, unless you just absolutely need the lightest machine possible.

x1300? I thought macbooks use an intel intergrated gpu? edit: sorry was thinking ATI lol

hmm I never thought of that... good idea, my girlfriend has a macbook so I could maybe install cinema 4d on her macbook and put a file on it and render it and compare the times to the same file being rendered on my current laptop