Linux faithful see ray of light shining on client OS

7 posts in this topic

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1339371388

Paul Kim, director of marketing for Everex, says one reason he is optimistic about open source products is that they get returned 15 to 20 percent less often than Vista-based machines. XP-based machines, however, come back less than both, he notes.

Despite the challenges, some feel Linux machines are poised to take off like never before.

Timothy Chen, director of business development and strategic partnerships for Via Technologies, which manufactures chipsets and integrated circuits, told Linux Foundation Summit attendees that he has a bet with a friend that if Linux desktops do not have 10 percent market share in the next five years he will run naked through the streets of Munich, Germany.

Chen also announced that Via would begin an open source initiative aimed at exposing its drivers to open source developers.

He should get his birthday suit ready.

Jump from .something% to 5%?

LOL.

Its like .7% at the moment. I can see Desktop Linux usage reaching 5% in the next 10 years, but 10% is certainly a strech.

That .something% is a shame,but that 10% will be a great achievement.Unfortunately,I do not believe that is going to happen.Other companies should look outside and follow the VIA example with their products.

Good initiative from VIA...

Something is definitely changing, though.

A lot of people here, who until 2 years ago didn't want to hear the word "Linux", are asking themselves whether they should "downgrade" to XP or install Linux. Considering that XP is 7 years old (and it shows its age, IMO), while you can clearly see Linux improve every year, I wonder what is going to happen.