Os X live DVD project and Difference between a PC user and a Mac user

DrX_UaCaRi

23 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm a not a Serial poster, but i'm am obverving this projetc from it early debut. When Steve announce "It's true", I was very exited beacuse i was sure that suitable way to make Os X run in a Pc was just a matter of time. In fact i was very happy not for my desktop station (I'm very happy with the G5) but for the laptop solution. Yes i've bought an High End Pc laptop because, Apple laptop was expensive with poor performance, instability, and outdated tecnhologies. When I heard the transition announce i was not sure that apple will imporve their lapyop line and my only concern was to run Os X in my notebook. I use Windows, I have great skill with it but so far it never gave me a real joy of use like Os X. The only thing great about Windows is the Game part that's all.

Os X live DVD project

First this project is hosted on my website http://www.area86.info (there is other useful info in it). It's not a Warez porject or in any way a porject to make universal bootable DVD to install in every Pc, I say that because th Big Head of well known irc banned me saying i'm a warez realeser, and others {censored}...

This porject is to make a live Os X for use like partioning, repair disk, edit ketext, network access, Install upgrade etc... This project is for both Mactels and Hacktels beacuse so far there little difference to make the Live Disk in both machines.

So far i've already made a Live dvd it's working but far from what i want to acheive. This is an open source project and if you want to contribute make sure evyrone can habe benefit of yours acheivement. Sorrymy english is poor, i'm a silly damn half brazilian mokey half french frog. The site is under an english teacher supervision (my mother) to make it undersatable (not all the page are checked so far but most of them).

What is done ?

The dvd is bootable under Mactel (MacBook Pro - 2 days old could not resist) and Hacktel. I'm using Dvd but i hope to find a way to shrink it to make a Cd.

The dvd load in All the language of Os X and you chhose them from the welcome page (i used the dvd installer loader). I managed to put several tool in it bu workst it seem roseta is not loaded then only universal applications works:

Camino, Safari, All the utility from the dvd instaler, X-Chat aqua, text edit, Unison (trial mode), terminal and Chess.

It want to know what kind of app you want to put in it so i can make something more universal.

Application I want (but not working at the moment) : IM software, Partition manager tool, Better text editor (Free if it is possible or trial) Java support....

What is still buging:

Finder, I cannot load it porperly, ther is some issue and it might du to the lack of some extension durind the os loading, It cannot Set a desktop, the disk are mounted but you cannot see them already and can not acces the files in disk.

Rosetta support will be great too but it's seems there a lot extension to load too. I need to put more drivers too load at least more network drivers.

Important notice, I will never realease a live image ready to burn. I will realeased only the scripts, the files needed, etc... I will not break any DCMA policy, I can told you how to as far as you have all the softwares in your possesion. So don't ask me where you can find it etc....

Now i want to say something that appears clearly today when i was reandig one of the Os X news (http://www.osx86project.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=127&Itemid=2) remenbering what happens to me and other who try to help others in the win2osx Irc room. Mac users are a strong community when open minded users, who their unique purpose is not to be the better or the richer, or the first. There is lot of site of Mac users who help you freely spending their free time to buid apps for others, etc... Linux Community is quite the same, but since Linux users are more Geeks than traditional users, their Site are more tecnhical and not always user friendly. Winsows helping are huge too but they are not very useful since they are more dumbasses than helpful people in it. Having a Mac was to have a spread share spirit, the hacktel is the worm in the apple. A lot of non Mac users came in place such at this one to make their beige box run os X but their did get the Mac spirit. Maxxuss seem to have it, some people here too, others not. Why i'm saying that? because if Xp could'nt be in my Macbbok so far is because the mac spirit is evaporating, transforming it self in a run for money or to be the one who did it, doesn't matter who I lie too, who I stole, who I ban... Remenber One thing Apple have tryed for many years to put in our mind:

Think Different....

Hope you can read me

(EDIT) PS: I need to learn to read beacuse there is a guy doing the same kind of thing.

Yah, post the steps up on your page or maybe we should start a thread under mac development.

Btw, have you tried using the "shrink" command from hdiutil to shrink down your image? Or is it fundamentally larger than a 700MB cd?

Yah, post the steps up on your page or maybe we should start a thread under mac development.

Btw, have you tried using the "shrink" command from hdiutil to shrink down your image? Or is it fundamentally larger than a 700MB cd?

I'm skipping this step until the rest are finish not a big issue, and may be it's better to use DVD since they are so cheap now and we can put more thing int it (Who said Office trial)..

Hi DrX

Reading your post right now....cause im not that long on thi s forum..since yesterday im a happy Mactel User

Since yesterday i feel beeing part of something i couldnt afford until now....

Feeling beeing part ofthe MAC Community.......sound stupid but it is so...

Now the exploration for using a Mac begins.....and i love it....im not running behind the latest release ....right now im happy with 10.4.3 and try to get behind all the secrets....

I see. Your method is basically making an editable copy of the restore disc and then putting in the files from an installed system. Its like a hybrid.

Quite this but not only, I'm going to mix it with BootCD too, to add proper ramdrive (256 or 384) to make the thnig really fast.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Balance Of Judgement
Any news on this? I'm really looking forward to make my Live DVD ;)

Me too. What happened to him?

Hi,

there is already a ppc Tiger live CD called Tiger 911 available somewhere. I had a look

and tried to built it with the x86 stuff. by now I can make it to -s :D

My first problem is the ramdisk. it seems to work but there is still one error, that it

cannot load from the ramdisk because it is read only, but it isnt. Every install CD has

a ramdisk on it, too. I should try the same thing with the new 10.4.5.

DVD, The only thing we have to do is to modify the etc/rc file with a texteditor. Also

we have to delete the content of the rc.cdrom, or we delete the install folder,

because if the booter finds this install folder, it will take the rc.cdrom, what we don't

want.

I think my DVD is working with the ramdisk now, but there is another problem. There

has to be a user account n the dvd, in order to make it boot to the gui. By now, I

don't know wich files I have to copy to the DVD for a root user account, so that there

would be no security and permission problems.

To sum it all up, it is just a matter of time, until someone will make a live dvd or live

cd. OSX can be made pretty small so that it fits a CD. After tinkering around, the

content of my dvd image was less than 700 MB.

As I said, I am stucked with the root accound and also there s still one loading error

with the ram disk and I don't know why.

:)

Hi,

there is already a ppc Tiger live CD called Tiger 911 available somewhere. I had a look

and tried to built it with the x86 stuff. by now I can make it to -s :)

My first problem is the ramdisk. it seems to work but there is still one error, that it

cannot load from the ramdisk because it is read only, but it isnt. Every install CD has

a ramdisk on it, too. I should try the same thing with the new 10.4.5.

DVD, The only thing we have to do is to modify the etc/rc file with a texteditor. Also

we have to delete the content of the rc.cdrom, or we delete the install folder,

because if the booter finds this install folder, it will take the rc.cdrom, what we don't

want.

I think my DVD is working with the ramdisk now, but there is another problem. There

has to be a user account n the dvd, in order to make it boot to the gui. By now, I

don't know wich files I have to copy to the DVD for a root user account, so that there

would be no security and permission problems.

To sum it all up, it is just a matter of time, until someone will make a live dvd or live

cd. OSX can be made pretty small so that it fits a CD. After tinkering around, the

content of my dvd image was less than 700 MB.

As I said, I am stucked with the root accound and also there s still one loading error

with the ram disk and I don't know why.

:thumbsdown_anim:

I've been busy last weeks so with more than 3 website late to finish i cannot have the time to finsih the "how to". For making the users account try to look at the way BootCd make the account because this is it It create a root account with root desktop, dock, etc....

This thread slipped pass me. Please continue with the project. It would be nice to see this happen. There is another guy that is doing the same thing, but it has deflated since he last posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ReflectiaX
UPDATE: Project is currently not making any progress, even though work is being done. Reason: DRX has run into legal issues (SHOCK), so he is modifying the process to avoid these issues. Stay tuned for more.

-Ref'X

I can't believe this schmoe is posing as me. Of all the years I've been around "the scene" I've never had anyone do this, lmao. Like I said in my PM to you - good luck being me! You're even linking directly to my avatar on ieXbeta! Sheesh, man... get a friggin' life! Identity crisis, anyone? lol.

-Steve-O (aka ReflectiaX/Ref'X)

EDIT: Well, at least you changed the avatar, lol. Loser.

• 2 months later...