Ubuntu or Kubuntu

macprogrammer

109 posts in this topic

I don't know why XGL is being called so buggy, its not perfect but in the beginning it was required to give linux 3d effects and many ATI users still use it.

As for SUSE having compiz first, here is one reason I think Novell is really stupid. They never advertise what they make, they never do that. Thats the reason they don't get any reward for anything they do. If there is only one thing the Ubuntu devs do right is that they advertise every little thing they take as if they made it and only they have it. Ubuntu is good at doing marketing whereas SUSE isn't. Many people don't even know that Compiz was made by Novell. My argument is a fact and u r the stupid one here if u still don't get that if ubuntu had to remove compiz from it, then half of their users would move over to other distros.

I could place a bet on this that if ubuntu lost compiz it would loose more than half of its users. As for people who say ubuntu is easier, thats not true. SUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS r all way easier but the one think they lack is fast package management which will be fixed in SUSE 11.

Your making the stupid argument that if Ubuntu dropped compiz then half it's users would go, you can't prove it and Ubuntu WAS popular before compiz made it into Ubuntu.

Thats opensource for you, everyone gets to share and the fact is that Ubuntu has steeled SUSE and Fedora's thunder in regard to Linux distro popularaity. Guess what, SUSE is more popular in Germany, I wonder why, another one of your stupid arguments that is flawed. :(

Among Linux operating systems, usage of Ubuntu and Red Hat stood at 35 percent and 23 percent, respectively, according to the survey. Suse, OpenSuse and Suse Enterprise collectively garnered 13 percent; Debian, 15 percent; and "other" distributions usage of 14 percent.

So even if half of Ubuntu users went to OpenSUSE, Ubuntu would STILL be popular, so much for your facts. :)

Your making the stupid argument that if Ubuntu dropped compiz then half it's users would go, you can't prove it and Ubuntu WAS popular before compiz made it into Ubuntu.

Thats opensource for you, everyone gets to share and the fact is that Ubuntu has steeled SUSE and Fedora's thunder in regard to Linux distro popularaity. Guess what, SUSE is more popular in Germany, I wonder why, another one of your stupid arguments that is flawed. :D

U r right, I can't but if u ever bothered to hang out on their forums u would get the same impression. Go hang out at their forums for a while.

You must be ithe only one crazy enough to defend {censored} like ubuntu.

Do me one favor before I leave this thread, right down all the plus points of ubuntu compared to SUSE may be and why u think its better for new users. Can u prove SUSE is more popular in Germany? I doubt it, cause there r Germans who use other distros u know, thats like saying Ubuntu is the most popular distro in Africa.

I'm defending it on facts not because I'm some kind of elitist Ubuntu user. If I could find that article about popular distros in countries than I would, it clearly shows SUSE being popular in Germany and some other european countries

I left for two hours and came back and this is still going stronger than ever.

My thoughts:

Novell isn't a bad company or anything and makes valuable contributions to the Linux/Open Source community. openSUSE happens to be my favorite KDE distro and favorite distro overall.

Ubuntu is as big as it is because it works for people and they have a good distribution method. In fact, Ubuntu's 'mainstream' success is probably good for the Linux commuinity as it gets them into the limelight more. I will note that having one super distro that everyone flocks to and worships does make things less exciting however. It's quite sad when someone has never heard of Linux but has heard of Ubuntu.

So even if half of Ubuntu users went to OpenSUSE, Ubuntu would STILL be popular, so much for your facts. :wacko:

Oh WOW, what a looser, actually went and started searching for statistics have u? Did the people conducting the research visit everyones damn home? I didn't hear a knock on my door. That was seriously lame. :D Any way please list your points on what is this damn world makes ubuntu better than suse so I can argue with u on those.

Maybe u like African drum roll in the beginning while logging in do u? :blink:

erei33 just did, I'm not saying it's better than all the rest, I'm saying that it's popular because it's good, not because some openSUSE users claim it's popular because backed by a millionaire and uses compiz to convert users.

If I didn't get figures to backup my points then you would be calling on me to prove it. I dont hate OpenSUSE, I've just gone off it and others have better to suit me, if you asked me to install another distro because I had to then no problem.

erei33 just did, I'm not saying it's better than all the rest, I'm saying that it's popular because it's good, not because some openSUSE users claim it's popular because backed by a millionaire and uses compiz to convert users.

If I didn't get figures to backup my points then you would be calling on me to prove it.

Popularity comes from advertisements and one thing Novell doesn't know at all is how to advertise stuff they make....they r really stupid in this regard.

When u log into Ubuntu did u know it calls u dumb.....listen to this:

dumb du dumb dumb dumb dumb du dum dumb dumb

Sing it in a new tune and u will get it. :whistle:

Please list your points on what makes Ubuntu better. I can't wait to read them, I bet the only flaw u find in SUSE is package management which will be fixed by the next release.

Now your getting childish, this thread is about Ubuntu/Kubuntu after all not about some elitist SUSE users wanting me to tell them how good Ubuntu is.

While I'm at it I'll list why I like Bananas over Apples and I think Bananas are more popular because they are yellow.

U r right, I can't but if u ever bothered to hang out on their forums u would get the same impression. Go hang out at their forums for a while.

Getting Compiz/Beryl was kinda tricky even half a year ago, I had some Linux experience and had to seek for a guide because of the nVIDIA driver.

BTW let's give the dog a bone. One of the biggest + for ubuntu is the community which is way more helphul than openSUSE's and the vast majority of guides available. Also most of the software written for Linux has extended support for ubuntu.

snakeeyes stop insulting people and stick to the point. The last 2 post look like you are 6 year old.

Getting Compiz/Beryl was kinda tricky even half a year ago, I had some Linux experience and had to seek for a guide because of the nVIDIA driver.

BTW let's give the dog a bone. One of the biggest + for ubuntu is the community which is way more helphul than openSUSE's and the vast majority of guides available. Also most of the software written for Linux has extended support for ubuntu.

snakeeyes stop insulting people and stick to the point. The last 2 post look like you are 6 year old.

Yeah I am sorry about the insults. :whistle:

But u have to admit the song was cool though, I mean who could have figured that out. :P

Yeah the forums thing is true but now that SUSE will finally have a single forum I think out forum support should improve. -_-

Now your getting childish, this thread is about Ubuntu/Kubuntu after all not about some elitist SUSE users wanting me to tell them how good Ubuntu is.

While I'm at it I'll list why I like Bananas over Apples and I think Bananas are more popular because they are yellow.

I am not an elitist, I like many other distros for example Mandriva is cool as well. Mandriva has really taken some great ideas from OS X u know in the way they install the system looks really professional.

You r not even making an effort to defend Ubuntu which u r a fan of probably right? Atleast make an effort and give me some points.

Judging from your profile topic you are. :)
What did u find so funny in my profile topic.......weirdo. :wacko: Nothing worth laughing that much in my profile.Where r the points on why Ubuntu is better? I really need to know that, then only can we have a proper discussion, right now arguing is useless.

Pointless, you'd only argue that SUSE is better at that and better at this.

I am an openSUSE user and I really think its the best Linux distribution out there. Its the most polished no doubt meaning it has GUI tools for everything and looks more professional than other distributions. Also its one of the few distros that give a really good experience with both KDE and Gnome. I also like the fact a simple update doesn't break my entire system like on Ubuntu

Speaks for itself doesn't it. :(

Pointless, you'd only argue that SUSE is better at that and better at this.

Speaks for itself doesn't it. :lol:

Still not funny....... :(

Since u r an Ubuntu fanboy, I want to see what great stuff Ubuntu has well. Stuff that other distros don't. What u got is my opinion and arguments r based on facts and opinions, is it that there really is nothing good about Ubuntu or what?

Now getting back to the topic of this thread that is Ubuntu or Kubuntu......I would suggest Ubuntu.

1. It's on one cd for faster download.

2. Fast and easy install.

3. Each Desktop is treated like it's own distro.

4. Easy install of the nvidia driver via Hardware Drivers.

5. Synaptic and Apt-get.

6. Large repository of programs as you need them.

7. Fast boot.

8 Nice updating system.

9. Easy codec install.

10. Nice GNOME setup and intergration with Ubuntu tools.

11 No overkill. One app for a task.

12 Good selection of apps.

13 Good support for the apps.

14 Support from the community is one of the best.

15 Kubuntu featuring a basic KDE install, without altering, so it is a good base to start tweaking on.

16 Free CDs

17 Video with Nelson Mandela on it.

1. It's on one cd for faster download.2. Fast and easy install.3. Each Desktop is treated like it's own distro.4. Easy install of the nvidia driver via Hardware Drivers.5. Synaptic and Apt-get.6. Large repository of programs as you need them. 7. Fast boot.8 Nice updating system.9. Easy codec install.10. Nice GNOME setup and intergration with Ubuntu tools.

1. OpenSUSE has single cd's as well.

2. Whats hard about SUSE, they have live cd's to if u like those.

3. Treating each desktop like its own distro is a dis advantage as each doesn't get equal attention because of this kubuntu sucks horrible compared to ubuntu. What happens is that with separate names their reputation is separate so if kubuntu sucks then ubuntu won't be affected but if it was called ubuntu gnome and ubuntu kde then saying ubuntu sucks would means everything sucks and that would force the developers to make an equally good realease for both desktop environments rather than having kubuntu devs sitting their on their fat ass all day.

4. When u add the nvidia repo and all the other repos in openSUSE then while updating the system it automatically installs the nvidia driver for u, and besides we have something even easier then that and that is one click install.

5. Package management will become very fast in version 11.0, but for now yes u r right debian's package management is better.

6. So u r saying openSUSE's r very small? Thats not ever a reason, Suse's r large as well and have the latest packages compared to Ubuntu's which get updated with a new release only.

7. OpenSUSE 10.3 boots very fast on my machine, faster than Ubuntu did. Yes OpenSUSE 10.2 was very slow, but maybe u didn't know that Suse 10.3 was sped up a lot.

8. We have an updating applet as well, as online update in Yast. Package management is slower for now but updating is equally easy.

9. We have one click install, whats easier then that? :wacko:

10. Integration in an operating system, ubuntu devs always miss out on integration in the default theme. I think integration is best done by Mandriva.

11 No overkill. One app for a task.12 Good selection of apps.13 Good support for the apps. 14 Support from the community is one of the best.15 Kubuntu featuring a basic KDE install, without altering, so it is a good base to start tweaking on.16 Free CDs17 Video with Nelson Mandela on it.

1. Having one app for a task means its less organized than having one control center for everything in your system. It makes things easier and feels more polished rather than being spread out. Ubuntu doesn't have anything like Yast either.

2. All Linux distros offer good apps, its not like different distros offer different apps, and this isn't a pretty good reason sorry. SUSE gives u a good selection to start with as well, what don't u like about their default apps?

3. Support, what kind of support? I hope u didn't mean bug reporting or fixing cause the Ubuntu devs only fix bug reports till the next release, u r call that support? Their applications r buggier than any other linux distro.

4. Yeah community support is good but its not like the SUSE community doesn't bother either and now that we will finally have official forums it should improve.

5. Kubuntu is an insult to kde and linux in general, don't tell me u like kubuntu. If u want a basic install there r loads of other better distros. I like KDE as well but seriously kubuntu is not cool. Its even buggier than Ubuntu. Take an install of kubuntu 7.10, open d3lphin, make a folder with a name that has space in between for example "home movies" and try opening it as root in d3lphin and see what happens. Kubuntu is horribly buggy.

6. You mean some people r so cheap and pathetic that they actually can not go buy a cd and just burn the system. Some people wait for 3 weeks to get their cd for freee? Oh man that is so lame, I can't believe u actually put that as a reason. :(

Anything else? :)

6. You mean some people r so cheap and pathetic that they actually can not go buy a cd and just burn the system. Some people wait for 3 weeks to get their cd for freee? Oh man that is so lame, I can't believe u actually out that as a reason. :censored2:

;)

6. You mean some people r so cheap and pathetic that they actually can not go buy a cd and just burn the system. Some people wait for 3 weeks to get their cd for freee? Oh man that is so lame, I can't believe u actually put that as a reason.

HUGE ignorance. Many people use linux becouse they have a slower/older system that is not usable with windows. Also, i guess not all people in Sri Lanka for example have 20Mbit/s connection so it is not that easy.

But they must be that pathetic because they can't afford the latest and greatest, mustn't they? Wow, what a pathetic world we're living in. They are lame, they are totally pwn3d by you sitting afront of a 30-inch monitor.

:censored2: ;) ;) ;) ;)

I remember spending more than 6 hours at an internet cafe several years ago in order to download a cd image.

My point is that not everyone has bleeding edge systems. Too bad openSUSE and its userbase don't take them into consideration.

HUGE ignorance. Many people use linux becouse they have a slower/older system that is not usable with windows. Also, i guess not all people in Sri Lanka for example have 20Mbit/s connection so it is not that easy. But they must be that pathetic because they can't afford the latest and greatest, mustn't they? Wow, what a pathetic world we're living in. They are lame, they are totally pwn3d by you sitting afront of a 30-inch monitor. :gathering::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer: I remember spending more than 6 hours at an internet cafe several years ago in order to download a cd image. My point is that not everyone has bleeding edge systems. Too bad openSUSE doesn't take them into consideration.

I remember downloading opensuse on dial up a few times and thats a true story. Your excuse doesn't count for anything, anyone who actually sinks to the level of ordering free cd's of a free operating system is a looser and is just so lameeeeeeee I can't explain how lame someone like that is, and they actually wait 3 weeks to get the cd. GOD some people r so sad and GREEDY!

According to your theory its too bad Microsoft doesn't consider poor people either cause their products aren't priced for the low class either, too bad Apple doesn't aim their systems at everyone poor or rich either.

I don't have a 20mb/s connection either.

See what I mean, you have to criticize every point and throw in your OpenSUSE elitist opinions. I'm not taking part in this {censored} anymore, since you just proven my point all along.

The fact is u just couldn't argue with me, if u think u r right on any point than argue back, u can't do it cause u know u r wrong. My opinions r right and I even admitted to some of our flaws like slow package management and not good forums and those r the only flaws we have. You couldn't even argue.

GOD some people r so sad and GREEDY!

Now that is where it turns into a tragedy. Let's move to more serious issues and in my country a vote at the general elections can be bought for 1 kilo spaghetti. Which hope of a better, free future do we have? We enjoy being slaves.

No.

It doesn't count for YOU.

That's the difference.

But it does count for many many people. There are countries wher internet is considered a luxury. Wow, what a surprise! ZOMG THATZ LAAAAME333!!!!!111!!!

This reminds me about an article i bumped into.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070...-month-dsl.html

Now that's lame, right???? :gathering:

What a loser Kazakh people are. LAAAAME.

Oh, and did I mention how greedy is for one to pay 3000$ for an internet connection? Wow, now that's greediness !!!111!!!

It counts, my friend. It may not count for Alessandro, it may not count for you, and it may not count for me, but that's just the three of us. And there are far more people in that situation.