Tied to chipset/video?

8 posts in this topic

I booted Phenix's dvd on 2 machines, with different results:

1. Generic, Cel-D 3.6, 1gb ram, i865, Radeon 9800, SATA:

Got the gray Apple screen with rotating bars. After a few minutes it froze up and a new icon appeared in the middle of the screen. Like a white box with a diagonal line through it.

2. Dell Dim 4700, P4-3.0, 512mb ram, i915G, SATA:

Got the gray Apple screen with rotating bars as before. After a few minutes, the screen turned blue and I saw the mouse pointer appear on the upper left. However, you could not move it. After a few seconds more, it turned into the spinning rainbow icon. After that it seemed to freeze up.

Both machines have SSE3, so that is not an issue. I think its most likely the GMA900 integrated video that got the Dell further than my other box. In fact, the only major difference between this Dell and an Apple Dev machine is the TPM chip. I guess that's why it still got stuck.

It sounds like you need an Intel 915/925 chipset and/or a P4.

Has anybody tried it with a Celeron-D on 915/925 chipset? Those have SSE3, but no hyperthreading.

I have a 3.6 Ghz @4.1 Pentium4 Intel 925 chipset 1GB DDR2 RAM andI get to an empty installer screen. (Box is there so are buttons, but no text)

uh that's the farthest so far. No one else has got to anything but the blue screen with the spinning beachball.