Newest Retail Leopard Install on Hack

Slinger2g

27 posts in this topic

I bought a retail disk for my Mac Mini and iBook G4 when it first came out.

I also installed it on my latest hackintosh build which is 99.8% compatible. The .2 of incompatibility is BootCamp not working. EFI and Vanilla everything. Software Updates straight from Apple. Check out the screeny.....

~Sling

post-56627-1207349400_thumb.png

post-56627-1207349423_thumb.png

post-56627-1207349443_thumb.png

can you post your specs

It's all Intel hardware.

I'm running a D945GCNL with an E6600.

2 dual channel 1gig stick's of OCZ memory.

I/O MAGIC Dual Layer DVD Burner.(Apple Generic Support)

80gig Ultra ATA SeaGate Barricuda HDD.

Antec 550w Green Energy Power supply.

Mac Pro Case.(Front Panel working fully and Apple LOGO Lumination working)

Logitech PRO 9000 USB Cam(fully supported)

~Sling

It's all Intel hardware.

I'm running a D945GCNL with an E6600.

2 dual channel 1gig stick's of OCZ memory.

I/O MAGIC Dual Layer DVD Burner.(Apple Generic Support)

80gig Ultra ATA SeaGate Barricuda HDD.

Antec 550w Green Energy Power supply.

Mac Pro Case.(Front Panel working fully and Apple LOGO Lumination working)

Logitech PRO 9000 USB Cam(fully supported)

~Sling

I can vouch for the board as well. My setup is similar except with an E4500 processor. I haven't run into anything that doesn't work yet and software update hasn't broken anything, though I haven't tried bootcamp since windows makes me feel oogy inside.

I can vouch for the board as well. My setup is similar except with an E4500 processor. I haven't run into anything that doesn't work yet and software update hasn't broken anything, though I haven't tried bootcamp since windows makes me feel oogy inside.

Yeah man, definitly a good board all around.

CHEERS

Just to confirm, you installed your retail Leopard directly onto your pc with no patches?

I installed it from the Retail DVD. The only thing I had to do was add EFI string's to the GUID partition and it's all good.

My mac mini has some of the same hardware in it so I stole a couple of string's from it to further a genuine install. :(

I might make my own copy of a Leopard Install DVD with everything pre-packaged so it's as retail as possible for all the user's in the community. I just don't need Jobs' henchmen to come looking for me!hahaha

~Sling

• 1 month later...

I have the same motherboard.

Kalyway 10.5.2 installed ok for all but on resuming from sleep I get no Ethernet connection.

Can you confirm that retail install will resume ethernet from sleep correctly?

Would you please write down a quick stepbystep install for this mobo?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same motherboard.

Kalyway 10.5.2 installed ok for all but on resuming from sleep I get no Ethernet connection.

Can you confirm that retail install will resume ethernet from sleep correctly?

Would you please write down a quick stepbystep install for this mobo?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't had to do any of that "wake on lan" stuff or anything. The retail install already has the driver's for the hardware on this motherboard. It is almost an exact match to the mac mini except for the audio, which from what I hear Apple is going to be using in the near future.

I stay away from those label install's because of two reasons:

1. Everyone's name other than your's is embedded in those install's, along with third party software. It make's for a hacked apart dirty install.

2.All those copies are beta releases with many bug's still existing in the OS.

I can make a step by step install guide, if your still interested.

~Sling

I'd like to see a step by step guide. I did a install of Leopard using a retail DVD, but had to use a "hacked" applesmbios to remove the "hackintosh" wording from About Me and needed to delete a few files to make it work. Not including running a ton of permission repairs. If you have an easier method, I'd love to try it. However, I'm not running a 945 board, I'm running the 975bx2 which I think is just as compatible as your board. Can't wait to see the guide if you're making one.

I'd like to see a step by step guide. I did a install of Leopard using a retail DVD, but had to use a "hacked" applesmbios to remove the "hackintosh" wording from About Me and needed to delete a few files to make it work. Not including running a ton of permission repairs. If you have an easier method, I'd love to try it. However, I'm not running a 945 board, I'm running the 975bx2 which I think is just as compatible as your board. Can't wait to see the guide if you're making one.

System Profiler doesn't show Hack.int.0sh in the hardware overview unless you are using the ToH kernel along with an already hacked SMBIOS. Apple has a well known understanding of people creating generic OS X computer's, but they would never advertise it. Therefore, a Retail Install would never reveal hackintosh anything. If anything at all, some overview's in System Profiler would display blank.

Also, you have to repair permission's only if you change permission's of your partition after installing a Retail version "because" you are hacking the extension's folder.

Lastly, I did delete AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext because I didn't want to disable any of my processor feature's!!! Had I did, I would have lost about 15% of processing power....

P.S. I will make an install guide, less the entire process of doing EFI string mod's with hexedit because I don't have enough time to trouble shoot all the wrong thing's that could happen if you were to try it. I will include a guide to use netkas' EFI v.8 along with how to properly set GUID partitioning table's and yadda yadda yadda.

~Sling

I'm a noobie/dummy when it comes to this stuff so I too would appreciate it if you would take the time to write a guide on the steps taken to accomplish this retail install.

thanks,

J.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back and am working on the guide so you can almost guarantee a successful install using the retail dvd.

Keep an eye out as I will be releasing the guide soon.

~Sling

I don't get this part?

I installed it from the Retail DVD. The only thing I had to do was add EFI string's to the GUID partition and it's all good.

~Sling

Then you say:" Now edit postpatch.sh to reflect your system's info.(just like earlier)

Do the same thing in terminal as you did with EFI.sh....

Your gonna come to an area of the process in which it's going to ask about removing some file's.

Only answer yes to removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Answer yes to install dsmos.kext.

You are done."

So my question is....

It is installed from the Retail DVD, but the you fix it by removing original kexts and replacing them with patched ones? So it is like all the other distro's except that you do it manually!!??

SticMAN

Leopard Retail Install on D945GCNL, GMA950, GigaByte LAN, ALC888.

First thing's first. You need an already functional version of leopard running!

I prefer to work from a version of Leopard on an external HDD.

Ok, thing's needed in order for this to work:

1. Leopard Retail DVD

2. EFI Pack

3. GUID partitioned HDD

Assuming you have all of the necessary component's we can start the installation process.

Once you partitioned your HDD to use the GUID partitioning scheme, your going to install PC_EFI.

In order to do this. Drag the folder to the desktop and open the folder EFI Pack. Now you have to edit the text in EFI.sh:

PATCH="/Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2 <----- XXX = shortname

EFI="/dev/rdiskxsy" # the drive for EFI <----- x = drive #, y = partition #

DRIVE="/dev/diskx" # drive where EFI is <----- x = drive #

Ok, now save that in text edit and close the window.

Now, open terminal and log in as "sudo".

Enter password.

Drag 'n drog the file you just edited into the terminal window.

Hit Enter

You should see a read out VERY similar to this:

bash-3.2# cd desktop

bash-3.2# cd EFI

bash-3.2# ls

.DS_Store EFI.sh leopatch pc_efi_v80 postpatch.sh

bash-3.2# cd pc_efi_v80

bash-3.2# ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 499

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 15968

bash-3.2# dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

512 bytes transferred in 0.017674 secs (28969 bytes/sec)

bash-3.2# dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

400 bytes transferred in 0.022213 secs (18007 bytes/sec)

YeY!!! It worked.

Ok, now that we have a GUID partition with PC_EFI V.8 installed, we can now install the Retail DVD.

Insert the disk, and from the desktop, click GO in the Finder Bar.

Click "Go to Folder"

Now type:

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

Hit Enter

Now scroll down and click on "OSInstall.mpkg"

From there, navigate thru the installer like any other installer.

When your done...... DO NOT REBOOT

Exit the install and go back to the terminal.

Now type: /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/whateveryounamedyourdrive

Hit Enter

Now go back to the folder EFI pack on your desktop.

Now edit postpatch.sh to reflect your system's info.(just like earlier)

Your gonna come to an area of the process in which it's going to ask about removing some file's.

You are done.

REBOOT

As long as everything went according to plan, you will be in the midst of filling out your personal info.

If you are using this method with PC_EFI V.8 efi, your audio will not be working.

You either have to find the REAL efi string's for the card, or you will have to hack the neccessary file's using Tauruga's AppleHDApatcher.

P.S. This is the least hacked installation process I can describe without explaining how to have a completely "Vanilla" install using real EFI string's for all hardware present on this motherboard. It can be done as I have proof using the screenshot's from above. The only thing that is TRUELY bothering me is that BootCamp is not functioning for me at the moment. And the only way to have that function is to extract a supported Boot ROM version from a real mac(my mac mini) and inject the code into PC_EFI V.8 or to inject it into my own version of EFI string data I am presently using. Also as that happen's, might as well take a look at building a string for an audio initializer to play the Apple Chime!!!!

~Sling

I've been using this method for several months now. I only have to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleEFIRuntime.kext to get an initial boot. After I boot into the retail install I install about for kext files specific to my motherboard such as sound and networking, and a few kexts for my video card.

I can't do the big OS Software Update(s) automatically but I can do them manually.

I don't get this part?

Then you say:" Now edit postpatch.sh to reflect your system's info.(just like earlier)

You are done."

So my question is....

It is installed from the Retail DVD, but the you fix it by removing original kexts and replacing them with patched ones? So it is like all the other distro's except that you do it manually!!??

SticMAN

SticMan READ my post script. It will clarify what you may be asking or thinking for that matter.

Also, why would I do what I'm doing, if it WASN'T different, and not just install something like LEO4ALL???

The reason for removing the CPU kext is only "because" I didn't want to disable any processor "features" in my BIOS. Did you read post #3??? I'm under the impression you did not.

Oh yeah, do me a favor and look at what the Boot ROM version is in system profiler of the first screeny above. That's the info of Intel's EFI chip that is embedded onto the motherboard. But hey, thank's for the criticism, it's how I get motivation. :(

Please don't see it as criticism!!

I scanned through your posts and at first it was a little vague, but after studying them for a few minutes I realized that the method you use is almost the same as I do with my Dell and HP! I just find it a bit tiresome having to start from 10.5 retail and work my way up to 10.5.3. This for me is also the purist form of the OS!

Please give a bit more details on:

"Now edit postpatch.sh to reflect your system's info.(just like earlier)"

What postpatch.sh are you referring to?

Congratulations on you near perfect build!

StiCMAN

Once you partitioned your HDD to use the GUID partitioning scheme, your going to install PC_EFI.

In order to do this. Drag the folder to the desktop and open the folder EFI Pack. Now you have to edit the text in EFI.sh:

PATCH="/Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v80" # path to EFI v 7.2 <----- XXX = shortname

You need to UNMOUNT the drive in Disk Utility BEFORE you proceed

Enter password.

Drag 'n drop the file you just edited into the terminal window.

Hit Enter

I've been using this method for several months now. I only have to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleEFIRuntime.kext to get an initial boot. After I boot into the retail install I install about for kext files specific to my motherboard such as sound and networking, and a few kexts for my video card.

I can't do the big OS Software Update(s) automatically but I can do them manually.

Glad to see you have success in installing a Retail DVD.

I haven't had any problem's with AppleEFIRuntime.kext..... I wonder why it is causing you grief with your rig?

But again, anything is possible with the majority of hardware out there.

CHEERS

You need to UNMOUNT the drive in Disk Utility BEFORE you proceed

Enter password.

Drag 'n drop the file you just edited into the terminal window.

Hit Enter

Thank You SticMAN for the process I left out. I haven't quite been able to refine my post....

Again, thank you...

Have you taken a look at other post's from I.. am.... me yet???

There has been talk about flashing ROM chip's on MOBO's with Intel EFI to work with Apple EFI Firmware.

It's so close, in the respect of, if you have an Intel EFI ready board we can flash the Firmware to the chip.

This isn't the right post to talk these technique's, but I have seen your post's in the forum and I think you would like to persue....

I was looking @ machine code in the Mac Pro EFI Update 1.3(Early 2008) that I have been editing and working with on my own rig. It's interesting enough that the code is quite editable. I'm trying to incorporate a method that OS X will recognize BOOT ROM sig's to incorporate BootCamp and AppleChime within PC_EFI. Or, to take the string's from EFINVRAM or EEPROM. Touch a memory bank with it so it initializes and VOILA!!! Still working on it....

~Sling

• 1 month later...

Id love to hear more about the sound.. what did you use? Can you share your kexts? Also.. How did you got rid of the video artifacts? Did you use Efi strings for sound and video? If you did, could you share them with us?

Thanks in advance!