Kernal Panic? Nvidia related?

amp3d

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Ive been using iatkos on my other computers without an issue.

I recently just got a new XPS 1730 laptop, and I tried to install it on there. The installation goes ok, CPU set to 1 so all seems well..

However, when it boots up in verbose I am getting somthing that looks like this:

Kernal loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.GeForce(5.1.@0x33bca00->0x33cbfff

dependancy: com.apple.NVDAResman(5.1.@0x349a3000

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.......................................................

It then goes on to list IOPCFamily, IOGraphicsFamily,NVDAResman,IONDRVSupport, etc.

During the install, I did not select any video cards. I currently have a 8700m gt video card, non sli.

Is this something I can fix? I have tried sooo many versions of OSX and cant get it on this computer! GRR! iatkos is the only install disc that actually gets me this far, lol.

I cant see what removing the drivers could really do other than give you a shot at fixing whats causing your laptop to die a horrible firey painful death in a kernal panic. I would remove the drivers then try booting back into OSx86 in safe mode and using NVingect to install the new drivers.

Well, I never actually selected any drivers to be installed, however I continue to get this nvidia error that is causing a kernel panic. Safe mode still works for me but thats it, suggestions anyone?

I dont get this issue on any of my other ati laptops

I've got 1730 with SLI and have same scenario on a dedicated second internal hard drive install. Only can boot in safe mode not matter what I've tried. Tried Nvinject like I've used on my main PC to run 10.5.2 flawlessy with a 8800GTX on ASUS formula, but no go with the 8700M SLI on the M1730. My old M170 was a piece of cake with running OSX off a USB drive. I am now downloading Kalyway 10.5.2 for more options as I found the only way I got to my curent flawed install was to use the Zepyroth install, couldn't even get my Kalyway 10.5.1(reboot screen) or IATKOS disc(fails during install) to work with it. Time to start again here. It's been a month, but I reckon I will crack the 1730 eventually, I like the challenge!

And here's my story...

XPS 1730

2xGeForce 8700M GT (256 mb)

Core 2 Duo T9300

Have tried iAtkos and Kalyway. Furtherest I've got with Kalyway is the registration screen on the first boot after install, it freezes at the point where it starts to set up the user account (after getting registration info). But it only gets that far on the safe mode boot (-x).

With iAtkos I can get right into the desktop, but only on safe mode. Problem appears to be with the graphics card. I've tried various forms of NVInject and NVKtexts as well as the Leopard Graphics Update. None allow me to boot without the -x option, and in fact after installing some I can't even get in with the -x option (stops at about the gfx driver step and tells me I need to hold down the power button to reboot).

OzOSX86, I'll be keen to hear what works for you...

Oz, Aust? Wonder if there's something different about the units downunder.... I'm NZ.

And here's my story...

XPS 1730

2xGeForce 8700M GT (256 mb)

Core 2 Duo T9300

Have tried iAtkos and Kalyway. Furtherest I've got with Kalyway is the registration screen on the first boot after install, it freezes at the point where it starts to set up the user account (after getting registration info). But it only gets that far on the safe mode boot (-x).

With iAtkos I can get right into the desktop, but only on safe mode. Problem appears to be with the graphics card. I've tried various forms of NVInject and NVKtexts as well as the Leopard Graphics Update. None allow me to boot without the -x option, and in fact after installing some I can't even get in with the -x option (stops at about the gfx driver step and tells me I need to hold down the power button to reboot).

OzOSX86, I'll be keen to hear what works for you...

Oz, Aust? Wonder if there's something different about the units downunder.... I'm NZ.

Very similar scenario to you there. Yes Oz for AUS it is. I never come across any hardware diff in the XPS range here vs OS. From what I understand is they come out of the same factory and as a small product line are same in all markets.

I'm still downloading Kalyway 10.5.2 to try, geez I hate torrents these days, such an ineffective use ADSL 2+ bandwidth compared to USENET!

I finally got Kalyway 10.5.2. I'm going to have a play around tonight with it. The bonus I feel is the easy ability to drop video drivers out of the equation in startup and also being able to boot different kernel versions on the fly, which in itself could be helpful.

I've got Kalyway 10.5.1 on CD, and the combo updater. Can't get 10.5.1 to boot, but can use the combo updater on my iAtkos install... Either way, still can't get in without safe mode. Do you have the link you used for Kalyway 10.5.2 and the install options used?

I've got Kalyway 10.5.1 on CD, and the combo updater. Can't get 10.5.1 to boot, but can use the combo updater on my iAtkos install... Either way, still can't get in without safe mode. Do you have the link you used for Kalyway 10.5.2 and the install options used?

I take it your asking me re Kalyway 10.5.2? By link, you mean source? If so refer to this site's front page. I can't quote any install options personally yet since as mentioned earlier today, I have to wait till I get home later to have a go at installing it first..

Well as you can probably guess seeing as I didn't come back in flash to report any success, I haven't had any with Kaly 10.5.2. If anything I can't even get as far booting the DVD as I could with Kaly 10.5.1, let alone IATKOS. I tried all the DVD boot kernel options, made no diff whatsover. So I'm not sure where to from here frankly... Try to fix the safe mode only existing Zephy install or what..

• 3 months later...

hi. i am trying to install with kalyway 10.5.1 on my m1730. i formatted my 2nd hdd (mbr) and install with both vanilla and mbr option. installation was successful but when my laptop reboot, it stuck at apple logo with the message ' you have to restart the computer, hold down the power button etc' in few languages. really need help in this. thanks

i try to disable the LAN adapter using bios yet upon reboot, it still hang and show the same message.

my xps spec: t7700, 4gb ram, 2 x 160 sata, gtx 8800, bios just been updated to A09. thats all, if needed more info can ask me. thanks in advance.

hi. i am trying to install with kalyway 10.5.1 on my m1730. i formatted my 2nd hdd (mbr) and install with both vanilla and mbr option. installation was successful but when my laptop reboot, it stuck at apple logo with the message ' you have to restart the computer, hold down the power button etc' in few languages. really need help in this. thanks

i try to disable the LAN adapter using bios yet upon reboot, it still hang and show the same message.

my xps spec: t7700, 4gb ram, 2 x 160 sata, gtx 8800, bios just been updated to A09. thats all, if needed more info can ask me. thanks in advance.

I've given up on my m1730 for the time being. I'm just running 10.5.2 on my m1330 instead, that's a piece of cake by comparison...