EFI and Windows - a problem?

anonymous86

7 posts in this topic

I'm about to build a friend of mine a Hackintosh to go with his iMac G5, and I wonder about EFI. Since it's possible to have a "real" Mac OS X with EFI that updates just fine, can I also use Boot Camp to boot Windows?

Or may I still use the Darwin Bootloader to do so? Since Windows XP doesn't support EFI, how do you boot it with a vanilla System?

Thanks,

the anonymous one.

Unfortunatly Bootcamp dont work on hacks !!! But you can use grub, or acronis bootloader to boot windows.

To me the easiest and the safest way to boot your different systems is to use your bios.

You must have a key to type when the pc's booting, lyke F8.....

Bootcamp is to boot windows on a Mac which have EFI-Roms instead of the Regular BIOS.

A Hack has a BIOS and we fool OSX as though it is EFI through the Darwin Bootloader. The Darwin Bootloader will list all the Primary partiions on the Hard disk and you can select whichever OS you want to boot,be it windows or OSX. The EFI emulation is seen only by Mac OSX.

You do not need to install Grub, Acronis , Easy BCD, etc., to just boot Windows and OSX on a Hack. All you need is to add a Timeout on com.apple.boot.plist and you got yourself a nice menu in Darwin Bootloader

Bootcamp is to boot windows on a Mac which have EFI-Roms instead of the Regular BIOS.

A Hack has a BIOS and we fool OSX as though it is EFI through the Darwin Bootloader. The Darwin Bootloader will list all the Primary partiions on the Hard disk and you can select whichever OS you want to boot,be it windows or OSX. The EFI emulation is seen only by Mac OSX.

You do not need to install Grub, Acronis , Easy BCD, etc., to just boot Windows and OSX on a Hack. All you need is to add a Timeout on com.apple.boot.plist and you got yourself a nice menu in Darwin Bootloader

I just have two questions.

1) Can you install Windows first?

2) Can you use GUID rather than MBR?

Currently, my dual boot works with Acronis, but it seems to break every once in a while which causes me to have to reinstall OS Selector.

Do some searching and look at the wiki - you can dual boot with MBR or GUID but MBR is much better for hacks and windows dual booting (assuming you are putting windows and OS X on the same drive). The order of install depends on how you want to boot - via windows or via Darwin. Windows will overright the boot sector and install its own bootloader in the MBR.

So - take a look at the genius bar forum and search for dual boot in the titles. You should get tons of info and then you can start narrowing down what you want to do.

Right now, for instance, I'm dual booting XP and Leopard via the XP bootloader - this seems to make vmware happier since XP is the active partition though i've also done it via darwin (just change the active partition). I've previously dual booted XP32 and OS X on a GUID drive but as I said it's just too limiting since XP doesn't understand GUID partitions. Tried Vista64 but it's no better with GUID.

SMF

Headrush - I didn't mean to imply Vista64 didn't work. It just wasn't any better with GUID than XP32. I've dual booted both XP32 and Vista64 with OSX on a GUID drive. My preference for dual booting Windows (any flavor) and OSX is to use MBR.

SMF