[guide] Leopard install on Acer Aspire 5570Z (and 3680?)

ergosteur

59 posts in this topic

Wow, cool day. My MacBook Pro's arrived!

I also installed Leopard on my son's Acer 5507, and it's working fine.

Matt, could you share your settings (or post the plist) for ffscroll? I couldn't get a configuration that both scrolls, and moves the trackpad normally. Also, does anyone know if you can just ignore the two-finger scrolling and get the scroll regions to work?

The laptop doesn't seem to run hot (at least according to the temperature monitors), but the fan does run pretty much constantly. I'll have to look around to see what's available to quiet it. Another irritation is that the disk seems a trifle slow (repair permissions seems to take much longer than on the Gateway/Tiger). I'll try and do an Xbench soon and post the results so we can compare and swap. One thought, will a non-stock ACPIPlatform cause disk slowdowns).

BTW, I didn't seem to have the USB issues with sleep (I didn't use a stock ACPIPlatform), but I went ahead and installed USBEHCI anyway.

Hopefully a working OSX may wean him off of Vista (which he doesn't like, but is used to).

Thanks to all, who got this working!

Well, mine's all up and running, now on 10.5.3 (don't ask me how exactly I did it, because I think it was pure dumb luck). I've got Carbon Copy and am currently the process of making a DMG of the whole disk prior to apps (2.2Gb compressed).

I had tried the Intel950 video card fix (that was supposed to stop mouse artefacts) but have had no luck - the screen just goes mental until I plug my Dell 2405 into it, then I can use it (I have copied over my old FrameBuffer file in the meantime to get it stable).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there....I tried the LEO4all version this time, and everything works

using the guide, except sleep. (Grrrr) It does go into "coma" heh.

Unless, there is a special way to wake up the machine...

I'm using the 9.0.1 (not vanilla) should I switch it?

Soooooo close....

By the way this is a different drive the previous install is working very well still.

So much so I use it for work, with a windows (ick) in parallels, vpn connection office

graphic applications, the works...woot!

Seeya!

It´s all working here except the wireless. :D

Didn´t have to install the powermanagement, it shows the battery icon out of the box.

Don´t really know what´s the speedgui and the numbers in mhz, should just live it in auto?

I got the Wifi in BSD Device name en1, I have read something in other post to change it to

en0 then apply a patch but it looks like to be for 10.4 only. So let´s wait for someone who know hot to get it to work, or meabye just buy a external usb one.

Thank you so much! it looks unreal.

Acer 5570Z (5570-2609)

Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2060 (1MB L2 cache, 1.60 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB )

Mobile Intel 943GML Express chipset

1Gb DDR2

Intel Graphics Media Acelerator 950

Don´t really know witch Lan/Wifi.

80gb Hd.

I did the Kalyway 10.5.3 update, with vanilla 9.3.0 kernel, then did the update to 10.5.4 with 9.4.0 kernel.

Everything works, except the System Profiler does not show machine information anymore (in the hardware category)

It does show informations in the sub categories. It tries to go to sleep, but wakes right up.

FYI, I got a retail version of Leopard to boot using the boot-132 bootloader cd...going to try a vanilla install...

EDIT- Boots and stops at the blue screen, no ball, no cursor....

It´s all working here except the wireless. :)

Didn´t have to install the powermanagement, it shows the battery icon out of the box.

Don´t really know what´s the speedgui and the numbers in mhz, should just live it in auto?

I got the Wifi in BSD Device name en1, I have read something in other post to change it to

en0 then apply a patch but it looks like to be for 10.4 only. So let´s wait for someone who know hot to get it to work, or meabye just buy a external usb one.

Thank you so much! it looks unreal.

Acer 5570Z (5570-2609)

Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2060 (1MB L2 cache, 1.60 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB )

Mobile Intel 943GML Express chipset

1Gb DDR2

Intel Graphics Media Acelerator 950

Don´t really know witch Lan/Wifi.

80gb Hd.

You're probably going to have to buy a different wireless card. The one that comes with most "pentium dual-core" versions of the aspire 5570 is the Atheros AR5007EG which afaik does NOT work at all in OSX. the Atheros 5005, 5006 and 5008 chips should work, as should the Broadcom 4311 chips (available cheap as the Dell 1390 and 1490)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get iatkos 4 running - but after copying the two networking related kext over, bootup is currently causing it to hang on ntpdate on startup. Any ideas?

Or has anyone had success with this release?

I have tried disabling automatic time update, but then it hangs on installing AutoFSMonitor.

The audio package allows for my headphone out and mic out to work,

but I still cannot use the internal microphone...Any words of wisdom to help me out? thanks

BTW,

this is probably the best guide i've seen. It's easy and gives you just the right amt of info :) thanks

EDIT: to plastic - Yes i have full working iAtkos 4.0i running on my 5570z - installed default everything, change nothing. install 2 network kexts and your lan and wifi (if u replaced ur card w/ 5006) will work - install audio package and you get my above results and basically a fully working macbook

EDIT:: Okay I got it to install by using the "CPUS=1" string on the darwin bootloader prompt. But not I can't boot into the OS unless I type that string in EVERY time I boot up. If I don't it'll hang at "IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87" Any Ideas?

@flobbie: i haven't got the internal mic working, but if you've got time and patience, you could try editing the plists in AppleHDA.kext (something to do with layouts and pathmaps...). thanks also for the positive feedback :) and report on iatkos 4i.

@optik: you could add the CPUS=1 to your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist inside the kernel flags tags, although that would just be a workaround... maybe try changing kernels? a bios upgrade/downgrade might also help, see here. i think i'm using the 1.3505 version, will check next time i have to reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that I needed the idlehalt=0 boot flag to enable both cores in OSX but this resulted in 90 degrees celsius cpu temperature.

I'm currently stuck with using one core and cpus=1 and average temps are now 58 degrees celsius. Any ideas on how to reduce cpu temps?

Did anyone in here had shutting down problems?

My ACER 5720Z shutsdown in the middle of installation.

I figured out that I had to focus an Electric Fan on it to

finish the installation. After installation is done it will shutdown

after every 5 minutes. Turn it back on and same thing happens.

Any IDEAS? -_-:P

• 2 weeks later...

Hrm, I've noticed the July 31 update about fixing mouse tearing... I'm not sure if my setup is suffering from this.

When using Firefox I've noticed that I get a render issue where the mouse cursor gets painted on the screen in one spot, and yet still moving around in others...

Is this what the 'mouse tearing is referring too?'

• 3 weeks later...

Trackpad scroll works just by deleting ApplePS2Trackpad.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

It's a lot simpler to get working than all that stuff with two-finger scrolling.

To be safe, just move the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext to a safe place rather than deleting it.

Sleep + Speedstep holy grail may be at hand.

The problem with using the vanilla kernel on either my son's Acer or my wife's Gateway is that the machines run hot. Average temps are over 65C with temps under load going easily to the mid 70s and mid 80s (measured with TemperatureMonitor). That's unacceptable for a laptop. I ended up moving to netkas's speedstep kernel, but really miss sleep.

Note that this issue isn't just for hackbooks. MyMacBook Pro runs hot, and I end up using SMC fan control to keep from singing body parts.

Well, superhai is in the midst of developing a speedstep kext for use on vanilla kernels, based on work done by mercurysquad. Has anyone tried this out on the Acer?

I'm hoping to try it out in the next few days (after upgrading to 10.5.4), but if anyone's up for trying it out, take a look at this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=123774

-u

P.S. I've attached the kext to this thread.

GenericIntelCPUPowerManagement.zip

Hrm, I've noticed the July 31 update about fixing mouse tearing... I'm not sure if my setup is suffering from this.

When using Firefox I've noticed that I get a render issue where the mouse cursor gets painted on the screen in one spot, and yet still moving around in others...

Is this what the 'mouse tearing is referring too?'

Yeah I think that's mouse tearing. I installed the GMA950 (mouse tearing fixed) pkg from the iATKOS 2.0 or 4.0 DVD and that fixed the cursor problems with Word and Firefox for me.

Sleep + speedstep! WORKS.

I've got it working on my son's Acer 5570z. You need to have the vanilla kernel installed, then install superhai's beta of his generic speedstep app. It works great. Average CPU temps went down from mid-70s to the 50s.

The autothrottling works well when the system is under load.

Go here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&pid=877597

Sleep + speedstep! WORKS.

I've got it working on my son's Acer 5570z. You need to have the vanilla kernel installed, then install superhai's beta of his generic speedstep app. It works great. Average CPU temps went down from mid-70s to the 50s.

The autothrottling works well when the system is under load.

Go here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&pid=877597

schweet. finally my lap won't get burned anymore.

Two thumbs up for Matthieu!

I gave up a few months ago trying to get things working, right before you came with this excellent guide and some new developments.

I am eager to try it on my 5570-2609 (after some time to back up all my vista files & data).

Two questions:

- Can one use the iATKOS_4i with the same settings you gave for r2?

- Can others confirm the vanilla kernel + superhai beta to be working and cooler?

I could use some help or extra clarification about the options to pick. I tried it a couple times, but must be doing something wrong and/or misunderstanding something (which is vanilla?) and/or the setup files changed for v4i.

I found iATKOS v4i

For instance using

- main system

- darwin bootloader

- Apple SMBios netkas

- Remove thermal kexts

- GMA 950

There was a continuous fast odd flickering happening that went to my head before I could pick the options and reach the desktop (thinking maybe it would resolve with reboot LOL) likely due to a GMA950 incompatible file.

-----

Somewhere in the thread somebody said to just use default settings.

Tried that. Completed the base installation. No flickering :)

However right after point 3, installation of the IOPCIFamily file linked, when rebooting there is a kernel panic. :)

... unable to find this platform: \"ACPI\" ... IOPlatformExpert.cpp:

Mac OS version:

Not yet set.

Kernel version:

I am confident I edited the right file and made the correct change ... but maybe the default two options aren't enough to support the additional tweaks?

-----

Tried again with mentioned settings in first post, now leaving out GMA950 to avoid screen issue.

Stumbling again on step 3. Kernel Panic. :)

-----

Tried again, now with 9.2.0 Kernel. Again Kernel Panic at step 3. :huh:

-----

:angry2:

If somebody could post in a bit more detail which exact mix from the few dozen options - stock files - additional patches (nforce?) - drivers (VGA, system, network) I need to chose from the v4 disc, ( and maybe how to perform some of the installs to correctly circumvent permissions or crashes that might arise ) - that would be most greatly appreciated.

Again many thanks in advance for additional information.

Hello everyone.

Just want to clarify that this guide is based on iATKOS 1.0i r2. I have not tried iATKOS v2 or v4.

Also, my Aspire 5570Z is on a long-term loan to someone, so although I would like to, I won't be able to try new methods such as boot-132 for a while. I will try my best to help if people have problems, but it will be mostly from memory and not actual experimentation. So if you have problems, you'll likely receive more effective help by posting here or elsewhere than by PM'ing me. (if you absolutely must contact me directly, i don't have a problem)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have installed the IONetworkFamily.kext from the link on the first post. Now my ethernet is showing under networks, but the wireless is still not detecting. I also have a 5570Z. Any help would be appreciated.

The way I installed the above kext was by copying the file to System/Library/Extentions

Then I replaced the file that was there.

After that I went to disk utilities and fixed the permissions and also deleted the Extentions.mkext from System/Library

After rebooting, I had the ethernet show up, but no sign of the wireless lan.. Please help.. I have been going at this for hours now..

Thanks

Ok, so I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what but I walked through the installation and got it up and running once but it dies on boot now. I have it dual booting right now and vista is fine but when I boot to OS X, it goes through the gray apple part and then flashes blue for a second and then the screen turns OFF. I can see that the LCD is actually off, not black. I don't know what to do to fix this since I can't get into the os. Any tips?

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I may be able to help people out again. Just picked up an Inspiron 640m for $200CDN. :wacko: It has almost the same specs as the Aspire 5570Z (Intel T2050, GMA950, MiniPCIe wireless, card reader).

@ahmarca2: search for kext helper. it simplifies the kext copying process.

@bemac: I'm actually getting similar GMA950 issues on my Inspiron 640m + iDeneb. I'll try iATKOS (eventually, exams right now) and keep you posted. As for your kernel panic, try picking out an AppleACPIPlatform.kext patch. Also, you say you have a flickering problem? as in like having objects on the screen flashing slightly to the right of whre they're supposed to be?

@sulayman: Note that the original Atheros 5007 does NOT work. If you haven't swapped the card, it won't be detected even if you change the kexts. Also, make sure you install the IOPCIFamily.kext.

@mattlezeay: did you install using iATKOS? have you done any software updates recently? I had the same problem after the install of iDeneb on my Inspiron. I fixed it by rebooting into single-user mode (-s) and installing the kexts from Graphics fix.zip found here. To prevent this happening again, set up "Hot corners" so that you can sleep the display by moving the mouse to a corner of the screen. Once this is set up, if your display goes off again, move the mouse to that corner a few times and it should come back on.