How to permanently delete files in the Trash? [.webloc/$RECYCLE.BIN]

15 posts in this topic

I would give "sudo rm -f ~/.Trash/$RECYCLE.BIN" without the quotes in a terminal a try the directory looks like it should delete with emptying the trash once you get the funky file out of the way if not then "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/webloc".

Gramarye,

Stupid question but you didn't have a USB flash drive plugged in when you were having that issue did you? My trash gives me fits if I plug one in. As soon as I do this one zip file appears in my trash can and gimps everything up aka the it will just hang (I've let it go as long as 30 minutes and it still won't finish). Eject it and everything goes back to normal. Just my $.02.

I would give "sudo rm -f ~/.Trash/$RECYCLE.BIN" without the quotes in a terminal a try the directory looks like it should delete with emptying the trash once you get the funky file out of the way if not then "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/webloc".

Thanks for this, I'm going to give it a try. Just afraid to do it now, since, whenever I touch a .webloc file, my computer freezes, I usually get rid of them in my iMac G5. I'll update you guys back for the results.

Dude, I swatted my monitor because of your signature! LOL

I thought there was a bug on my screen and i wapped a nice 19" wide LCD. luckily no damage..

On topic: Try rebooting if the above doesn't work..

Sorry, I'll take care fo the bug on my sig, it won't go away! <_< Maybe spray since swat won't do.

Back to topic: This is actually after rebooting, still appears trash is full with those files.

Gramarye,

Stupid question but you didn't have a USB flash drive plugged in when you were having that issue did you? My trash gives me fits if I plug one in. As soon as I do this one zip file appears in my trash can and gimps everything up aka the it will just hang (I've let it go as long as 30 minutes and it still won't finish). Eject it and everything goes back to normal. Just my $.02.

Not a stupid question, since I have 4-5 external drives plugged in, via USB and Firewire...that particular .webloc file is from my external USB drive, contained inside were links I saved from awhile back, kind of like bookmarks y'know?

Also, Recycle.BIN is obviously from a PC right? I do happen to plug NTFS drives (I use paragon) and it is understood that PC drives leaves remnants every time I switch around, like "System Volume Information" file, or "RECYCLE", etc...

Both command lines did not seeem to work.

the problem is likely the "$" in the filename. try sudo rm -f ~/.Trash/* instead and see if that works.

also yes you may need to reboot, since if some process has the files open you wont be able to delete them (until that process closes them) and the most surefire way to make sure that happens is to reboot.

You may want to try with the full path then eg. "sudo rm -f /Users/UserName/.Trash/..." changing the UserName part to your actual one.

Hmm, that file is still living, but I appreciate your help still ;) Anything else to throw at it? It just won't go away!

I appreciate you helpin! ;)

Hmm, that file is still living, but I appreciate your help still ;) Anything else to throw at it? It just won't go away!

I appreciate you helpin! ;)

Sorry for the late reply but I think I am out of ideas on this one those commands have always worked for me when there is a struck file in the trash..

The file is a Windows hidden file.... Short of booting into Windows and trying to delete it from there (.. which does not always work) , the definitive method that worked for me was to boot into a linux live cd ( i used an ubuntu live cd ) and from there i was able to delete it so long as you can log in as root from the live cd... my $0.02 ...

I'll try a bump, there has to be another command line that could permanently remove files.

Was just reading another forum and saw the thread below which made me think of this one perhaps this may help if you still have the problem and can acces the drive in windows.

http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubles...elete-file.html

Was just reading another forum and saw the thread below which made me think of this one perhaps this may help if you still have the problem and can acces the drive in windows.

http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubles...elete-file.html

Thanks for your efforts in sharing this! I appreciate it so much, I'll report back, hopefully this will take care of it.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7000408