Safari Automatically Executes Shell Scripts

7 posts in this topic

One more:

The flaw in Mac OS X concerns also Apples E-Mail program. Apart from the attack possibility over the Web Browser safari, also Apple Mail is starting shell scripts. Only camouflage a script with the ending "jpg" as picture and specify over the Mac OS Finder the "terminal" as program which is used to open this file. If soneome sends the script away now as mail appendix coded in the format AppleDouble, then also the information that the terminal is used to open the file, moves to the receiver. Apples Mail indicates the appendix only as a "normal" .jpg picture. Simply click on it and the script will start without demand in the terminal.

The link in German:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/69894

Be aware, a .jpg (maybe it can be another extentions) you received via Mail (it is not really a picture but a shell script) can maybe kill your OSX86 (if you are admin) or delete your data in your home folder. It's very simple to do.

What is Safe Terminal?

Safe Terminal fixes a security weakness with the Terminal utility, when it execute shell scripts without the user permission.

If Safari "Open safe files after download" is enabled, its possible to create malicious shell scripts that will be executed by the Terminal automatically after you download them. It is also possible to create malicious shell scripts that look like plain documents, that will be executed by Terminal on double click without warning.

After Safe Terminal is installed, the Terminal utility will not execute any file, even if "Open safe files after download" option in Safari is enabled. However, the usage of the Terminal to type and run commands is not effected in any way.

http://nirs.freeshell.org/safe-terminal/

What is Safe Terminal?

Safe Terminal fixes a security weakness with the Terminal utility, when it execute shell scripts without the user permission.

If Safari "Open safe files after download" is enabled, its possible to create malicious shell scripts that will be executed by the Terminal automatically after you download them. It is also possible to create malicious shell scripts that look like plain documents, that will be executed by Terminal on double click without warning.

After Safe Terminal is installed, the Terminal utility will not execute any file, even if "Open safe files after download" option in Safari is enabled. However, the usage of the Terminal to type and run commands is not effected in any way.

http://nirs.freeshell.org/safe-terminal/

Is this safe to use? Have you tried it? Will it have any negative impact on working with loads/reloads of OSX86? (can I still use terminal to load kexts?)

I tried the test and I do see the calculator, so I am vunerable just now