IRC doesn't work for users with ~ prefixes

13 posts in this topic

Users with username prefixes of "~" and other weird characters, for example me, can't connect to the IRC from InsanelyMac. It gives you an error saying that "~" is not allowed. And I tried changing my nick from within the IRC applet, but it gives me a Error not connected message.

IRC isn't important to me for this site, but just thought you (meaning Suhail, admins, and users) should know.

Yes ~ is not allowed. This is becuase the ~ symbol represents a Channel Operator and therefore can not be used in names. I do not maintain the IRC Network but I can tell you that this is the same on any IRC Channel on any IRC Server

- Suhail

No problem. If you still want to use the On site IRC Client then you can change your nick on the bottom right of the Java Client. But I do recommend you use Colloquy if you use OSX/OSX86. It is an excellent IRC Client. And if you are on Windows then mIRC does the job quite nicely with some of the extensions for it out on the interwebz...

Well, if you really need to get on IRC, then just grab a client. I actually don't recommend Colloquy, one reason is because of it's large use of resources, and also because it's just too high-brow for my needs. I would go with Xchat-Aqua.

Well, if you really need to get on IRC, then just grab a client. I actually don't recommend Colloquy, one reason is because of it's large use of resources, and also because it's just too high-brow for my needs. I would go with Xchat-Aqua.

BitchX ftw :wacko: :censored2: