Leopard on Dell Inspiron 1501

Mohsin

80 posts in this topic

sorry for the late post my specs are:

1.6 amd turion 64 x2 mobile technology tl-50

2 gb of ram

that stupid radeon 1150 media accelerator/ video card that no one supports i have res change but no qe/ci

80gb toshiba mk8034gsx hdd

tsst corp dvd burner

sigmatel 9200

kalyway 10.5.2 install

i had the stuttering sound and i searched high and low i tried what i had posted before but when i rebooted i got that crappy stuttering sound. however when i added idlehalt=0 to my com.apple.boot.plist it seems to help my install boot faster and also got rid of my sound issue. I had installed mac fuse as well. i dont know if it helped but now boot times arent as bad... im still a noob so dont take my word for gospel at all lol but i know my sound doesnt stutter anymore :blink: and instead of that 5 minute bot time and sitting there hitting return and moving my mouse it boots in about 1 1/2 to 2 mins and still recognizes both of my cores.

however if anyone knows a way to cool the system down.......mine gets pretty warm....i would gladly take any advice !!!!!!

sorry for the late post my specs are:

1.6 amd turion 64 x2 mobile technology tl-50

2 gb of ram

that stupid radeon 1150 media accelerator/ video card that no one supports i have res change but no qe/ci

80gb toshiba mk8034gsx hdd

tsst corp dvd burner

sigmatel 9200

kalyway 10.5.2 install

i had the stuttering sound and i searched high and low i tried what i had posted before but when i rebooted i got that crappy stuttering sound. however when i added idlehalt=0 to my com.apple.boot.plist it seems to help my install boot faster and also got rid of my sound issue. I had installed mac fuse as well. i dont know if it helped but now boot times arent as bad... im still a noob so dont take my word for gospel at all lol but i know my sound doesnt stutter anymore and instead of that 5 minute bot time and sitting there hitting return and moving my mouse it boots in about 1 1/2 to 2 mins and still recognizes both of my cores.

however if anyone knows a way to cool the system down.......mine gets pretty warm....i would gladly take any advice !!!!!!

Hi sir,

I am having problem with booting. First of all I dont know why, but my computer is taking long time to boot. Please tell me a cure 4 tht problem. Also give me small tutorial thing on how you installed sound driver.pLZ INCLUDE DOWNLOAD LINK OF THE DRIVER.

THNX in advance!!

Mohsin!

• 3 weeks later...
I mange to install Leo 10.5.2 on my Dell Inspiron 1501!

Its Working great under latest version of VMWare, and boot native only in safe mode

A small guide:

1) I split my HDD in 3 partitions:

a)- for Leo (Primary, fat),

:ninja: - for personal stuff (ntfs),

c)- for Windows XP (Primary, ntfs)

2) Install Windows XP

3) Install latest version of VmWare

4) Install Latest version of Acronis Boot Manager

5) find and burn an DVD with Leo4All v2 (VERSION 2 - the only one that worked for me)

6) restart your computer and press F2 to enter BIOS menu

7) setup you bios like in picture below (disable Wireless, Lan, and Bios USB) else you will get the AppleGenericPCATADriver error)

8) format and install Leo. For kernel leave the version that is checked by default, also check the AMD fix option

9) be patient until the installation will finish and your Dell will be rebooted

10) after reboot enter in windows with Acronis

11) open VMWare and setup a new virtual machine (Type: Free BSD, 1 core, HDD: physical drive with all partitions)

12) start your vitual machine, and boot Leo 10.5.2 (try -f option)

13) setup your account and personal data

14) first backup and then download Emzo's made-for-Inspiron-1501 IOATAFamily.kext, extract, & copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

15) repair disk permision

16) shutdown your virtual machine

17) reboot your computer

18) Leopard boot only in safe mode (with -x option). also try -x -f option

Here i'm stuck!

I need help to boot without -x and get rid of "Not an ACInterfaceRef (null)"

I've tryed all combinations in BIOS but with no luck!

PS1: An more detailed guide for VMWare part(for tiger) here

PS2: I've tested the AppleHDAPatcher and Callisto from Tiger Installation Guide but with no luck

PS3: sorry for not postig pictures with Leo, but i forgot my USBstick at home, and i'm at work now. More details later

Ok I got eveything ready to do wat u posted but as soon as i boot from the disk i get the famous msg "waiting for root device"

This is the second osx86 version i download and i still cant seem to just get into the mac setup...i dont understand it...please can anyone help me....im really about to give up on this whole thing....

My specs are

Dell inspiron 1501

Turion64 x2

2gb ram

80gb hdd

dvd/cd-rom writer

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little curious all because it really doesn't say for everyone here.... did you INSTALL osX using the VMWare method or did you install osX natively? I know it says it boots natively, but I'm more curious about your install processes...

... Nevermind... finally got Leo4All (V2) burnt and it installs Natively (no vmware required)

**ALSO - I could not get Leo4All (V3) to work for me for $hit... popped in Leo4All (V2) and the install seems to be going pretty easy and steadily, no problems yet (knock on wood)...**

hi!

this is my first post, i've installed leopard on my 1501. I got audio working by a dump made on ubuntu, also when it gives me "waiting for root device", i used to boot on safe mode and then deleted some kind of backups of kexts, then reboot and get boot normal.

• 1 month later...

To those of you who got a native install to work, what install disc did you use?

I tried leo4allv2 which installed fine, but I get stuck on the screen after the darwin loader when I'm booting from my harddrive.

Any tips?

• 4 weeks later...
To those of you who got a native install to work, what install disc did you use?

I tried leo4allv2 which installed fine, but I get stuck on the screen after the darwin loader when I'm booting from my harddrive.

Any tips?

OK sir, I installed Leo4allV2, and it worked, but with problems with sound, graphics and the boot time.

** NOTE: If u wana install OS X, u need "Patience" **

And yea, i also experienced one more problem, after trying OS X, i reinstalled Vista, but my touchpad was screwed up. The left click button wasnt working.

Does this happen to anybody here??

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have problems with USB? I plug my USB Drive in and System Proflier says its there in the USB section except it dosent mount. Also, my USB mouse dosent work either it shows up in System Profiler but it dosent work.

Is your USB formatted as NTFS? If it is then it isn't suppose to show up, I'd reformat it as FAT32 so you can see it in windows/mac/linux

• 2 weeks later...

So... in the end, after all this talk. What are the recommendation for a person who will try to install Leopard on Inspiron 1501.

Can anyone who succeded sum it up? I`m asking because the topic has been starded several months ago and i think that things might have changed.

What version should i use?

Where can i find the patches?

Thank you!!! I really apreciate your help!

Although I dont have the Inspiron 1501 (I have the Vostro 1000) . the Leo4all v2 (thanks rapidshare)(get premium account for faster results(works with flash get))worked fine. I actually used Hirens Bootcd and deleted all partitions. Then booted from the Leo4all dvd and used the disk utility to partition and format the HD. Remember to choose customize before installing and choose the VIA and SB chipset driver. I also checked the AMD system fix and de-select the language translations(only speak english so figured I didnt need to waste the space). A note to remeber is the BIOS settings though. I left only the LAN and Wireless enabled and it installed in approx 2 hrs. boots just fine. I will be applying the Sigmatel9200 and Callisto003 tonight . so I will definately let you know how it turned out. but it boots just fine. The only thing I havent figured out is how to update to 10.5.5 from 10.5.2 but I figure thats no biggie yet.

I've been trying for a while to get Leo4all V2 to work on my 1501. I succeed in install. After install I can not boot Leo. I get "still waiting for root device" message. I was unable to complete the VMWare steps listed in Post #13 since it seems that Vista will not allow physical disk access to VMWare. Any ideas/assistance will be appriciated.

Eureka! i was able to install and run Leo native using Leo4all v2. install as normal and reboot with the -f option. performance still suffers because of the lack of full ATI Xpress1150 support. I was able to get widescreen resolutions using the callisto kext. Thanks to all those who posted info on this subject. you've been a great help.

DOING THE AMD SOFTWARE UPDATER OM 10.5.4 LEO ALL VER 4.1 WIRELESS WERKS BUT THE DVD BURNER IS NOT SHOWING UP....SOUND OUT = NO

SEEMS LIKE THE UPDATER I NOT GOING THROUGH..

STILL TESTING THIS LAPTOP...

AMD SUCH A BBUSTER....

BUT HEY IM DOWN WITH THAT DONT LEAVE ANY LAPTOP BEHIND MOVEMENT....

NEXT MOVE MIGHT BE IDENEBS 10.5.5 SEE IF THAT CANT JUST DO ALL THATS NEEDED

WENT BACK TO TH AMD SOFTARE UPDATE AND JUST DID THE 10.5.5 UPDATE SOLO JUST WAITING TO RESTART

THE LAPPY

WILL BE BACK SHORTLY

• 2 months later...

I just got iPC 10.5.6 Mac Os X Install DVD and I wonder if anyone have any idea which kext's I should use. My Dell Inspiron 1501 got AMD Sempron 2600+ (1.8 GHz) processor (only SSE2).

So far I inserted DVD into drive and booted from it after some playing with other usb sata hard drive and pendrive. It booted with pendrive and I was able to instal on it. When I tried to boot with SATA drive in 2,5" ICY BOX enclosure "still waiting for...." showed on my screen. I got it recognized by plugging it after "language selection screen" showed. It showed my 10.4.9 partition on internal drive. I need it working so I wasn't experimenting with installation on it.

I tried to instal only base component on external drive, but the process got stuck in middle. Then I tried to instal with vodoo kernel and sigmatel9200 driver. Installation ended with error (but people say that it's normal). Restart and It couldn't find system - the same problem I was having with 10.4.9 installation... I need IDE hard-drive in usb enclosure to get further or I'll try installing on 8GB pendrive.

Although I dont have the Inspiron 1501 (I have the Vostro 1000) . the Leo4all v2 (thanks rapidshare)(get premium account for faster results(works with flash get))worked fine. I actually used Hirens Bootcd and deleted all partitions. Then booted from the Leo4all dvd and used the disk utility to partition and format the HD. Remember to choose customize before installing and choose the VIA and SB chipset driver. I also checked the AMD system fix and de-select the language translations(only speak english so figured I didnt need to waste the space). A note to remeber is the BIOS settings though. I left only the LAN and Wireless enabled and it installed in approx 2 hrs. boots just fine. I will be applying the Sigmatel9200 and Callisto003 tonight . so I will definately let you know how it turned out. but it boots just fine. The only thing I havent figured out is how to update to 10.5.5 from 10.5.2 but I figure thats no biggie yet.

Hey, I also have a vostro 1000 and have Leopard working but with no audio and done the callisto thing yet. I have a question on how to use the codec dump with applehdapather. I have the sigmatel9200.txt file but how do I make a codec dump? If you know how or where to get the codec dump please let me know. Thanks.

Hey, I also have a vostro 1000 and have Leopard working but with no audio and done the callisto thing yet. I have a question on how to use the codec dump with applehdapather. I have the sigmatel9200.txt file but how do I make a codec dump? If you know how or where to get the codec dump please let me know. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone manage to get Leopard working yet? I have the Sempron 3500+ 1.8GHz. I'm currently trying iDeneb v4 10.5.6 and it installs fine, but then hangs on

-USBF: AppleUSB (something) CheckSleepCapability will be unloaded across sleep.

Still waiting on root device..

Disabled everything in BIOS and tried a few diff kernels. Same result.

"Still waiting for root device..." If you searched forum for this problem you probably know that it may be caused by number of things. Inocorect kext like IOATAFamily or AppleATAVIATA; lack of specific drivers for your hd case or just wrong kernel.

I gues that it may be problem with your external HD if SATA hard-drive is in it. Next thing.. make sure that kernels of your choice work with older AMD processors with only SSE2.

This is a good a place as any to ask, but I've got OSX 10.5.2 running on my Inspiron 1501, the ONLY thing I can't get working is the Power Management, I've tried various different bundles but still no joy unfortunately!

Can anyone recommend which bundle to use to get this working? If it can't be done, then fine, I'll just shut it down/boot up whenever I need it/finish with it. But I would love to be able to get this working for it to sleep :D

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
This is a good a place as any to ask, but I've got OSX 10.5.2 running on my Inspiron 1501, the ONLY thing I can't get working is the Power Management, I've tried various different bundles but still no joy unfortunately!

Can anyone recommend which bundle to use to get this working? If it can't be done, then fine, I'll just shut it down/boot up whenever I need it/finish with it. But I would love to be able to get this working for it to sleep ;)

Thanks!

Hey hey slow down! What about ATi X1150? You got full OpenGL support etc.?

hi guyz,

I got new dell inspiron 1501. I just found this sit. I always wanted to install Mac OS X "leopard" on myinspiron 1501 laptop. So now I m hoping tht u guyz will help me and guide me how I could fulfil my dream of mac in pc. so my specifiations r following :) :

SPECIFICATIONS OF MY NOTEBOOK:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15.4" WXGA widescreen display

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 (1.8GHz / 256 KB)

2 GB, DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz

160 GB SATA Hard drive

8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)

Dell wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)

53 WHr Lithium Ion Battery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This laptop came with MS Windows Vista Home Premium.

Guyz once again I wanna tell ya guyz, tht I m the biggest noob in thi world, so please give me step by step guie. Oh.. and I've downloaded Kalways Leopard operating system. It is downloaded via torrent. The link is following:

** I tried to use that CD, but failed. Anyways, please tell me that what should I do. DVD of Kalway is already burned and it is ready to go. **

===== MY PC IS SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64, MMX (+), 3D Now! (+) ========

So please you're help will help me, which will be HIGLY appriciated.

THNX,

Mohsin.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend which bundle to use to get this working? If it can't be done, then fine, I'll just shut it down/boot up whenever I need it/finish with it. But I would love to be able to get this working for it to sleep :(

Thanks!

Please, which hackintosh did you use? And which fixes/patches/drivers did you select?

I am using iDeneb 10.5.6 and have got the os working but callisto kext and the powermanagement bundle I found on many pages did'nt work for this install....  Seems to work good other than not having those items....  Sound is choppy until I hook up an iphone or ipod then gets clear until restart...not sure whats going on there but eh its working so im not complaining....

(EDIT) Callisto did finally work btw!!!!!!

voodoo kernel

seatbel fix

AppleBC440x

Sigmatel9200 and dump file thru AppleHDA post install

Broadcom

AppleATIATA chipset

GenericCPUMControl SYS Utilities

and ATI x1350 Video

Working on my Inspiron 1501 AMD 64 Turion ATI Radeon x1150