Leopard on Dell Inspiron 1501

Mohsin

80 posts in this topic

I am using iDeneb 10.5.6 and have got the os working but callisto kext and the powermanagement bundle I found on many pages did'nt work for this install.... Seems to work good other than not having those items.... Sound is choppy until I hook up an iphone or ipod then gets clear until restart...not sure whats going on there but eh its working so im not complaining....

(EDIT) Callisto did finally work btw!!!!!!

voodoo kernel

seatbel fix

AppleBC440x

Sigmatel9200 and dump file thru AppleHDA post install

Broadcom

AppleATIATA chipset

GenericCPUMControl SYS Utilities

and ATI x1350 Video

Working on my Inspiron 1501 AMD 64 Turion ATI Radeon x1150

Can I ask what Options you used for this installation? after about a month I still didn't manage to see the first screen after reboot using same config as you and iDeneb 10.5.6

iDeb 10.5.6 instalation:

voodoo kernel -found

seatbel fix -found

AppleBC440x -found

Sigmatel9200 and dump file thru AppleHDA post install -found ApleHDA, dump file from forum

Broadcom -found

AppleATIATA chipset - not found

GenericCPUMControl SYS Utilities - not found

and ATI x1350 Video - not found

Working on my Inspiron 1501 AMD 64 Turion ATI Radeon x1150 - working on my Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron 35000+ ATI Radeon x1150

Communicate about installation error, reboot... First boot with -f -v flags and...

What works::

So far it's booting nicely from my ATA drive in USB Enclosure without diskarb error. Calisto's kexts work from old 10.4.9 in 1280x800. Sound patched and work in the same manner as under 10.4.9. Ezmo's IOATAFamily.kext seems to work as system boots :thumbsup_anim:

What not works:

The system doesn't recognize keyboard and trackpad. I'm using my old keyboard and mouse from iMac G4 :(

What I'm going to do:

Backup what I got and try to fix issue with keyboard&mouse before transferring system to internal drive via Carbon Copy Cloner.

Edited:

I booted once again from install DVD and applied first patch for keyboard&trackpad and it works so now I'm proceeding with moving Leopard from external hd to internal to replace old 10.4.9.

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone,

I was trying to get Mac working on my Dell Inspiron 1501, but after a few weeks of unsuccessful tryings, I decided to try installing it on a VMware virtual machine. However, after downloading a complete virtual machine preinstalled with Mac OS X Leopard, I realized that it doesn't work on my laptop. It freezes during the boot. After that I tried to install OS X from DVD image like iDeneb or iAtkos, but again, after install it didn't work. I guess I didn't select the right hardware patches, but i don't know for sure which ones are that, and realized that after installing too many patches conflicts may appear.

Can anyone give me some instructions or provide us a guide how to make Leopard work on a Virtual machine (I'm using VMware 7.0 on Win7)? I tried to follow guides found on the internet but couldn't make it work on my Dell Inspiron 1501.

Please tell me which edition to use and what settings to make for the virtual machien/virtual bios, and even what patches to install. Thanks a lot!!

Please help someone...!!!!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys!

Me and a friend are trying to get this working on our comps. But we can't get past the install. I mean, we get the install successful, we reboot and can't get to the setup screen. If we use vmware we get a kernel panic if we try nativly we get the gray background with apple logo and it just sits their. If anyone has any suggestions please advice! :D also possible we are setting up vmware wrong so if anyone can post exactly what they did to setup vmware please also post that. :) thanks in advance

Forgot: Wvmware says the cpu has been disabled by virtual machine then i get a kernel panic when i click okay.

~Dustin

Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD 64 Athion x2 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

• 2 weeks later...

Neat trick I learned to get around the "Still waiting for root device..." is at the boot loader type rd=disk0s# where # is the partition installed on. I found IDeneb 10.5.8 to be the easiest way to install with IOATA, Callistob003, and HDAPatcher. Now I am trying to get wine to run, but it keeps crashing when video is initialized... need OpenGL support. :-( Plus I am having to run bootloader from CD as I haven't tried too hard to get it to boot from HD.

Remember that a -v will show you what is going on instead of the loading screens and give it about 10-15mins before you think it has hung up... ;-)