Powermac G4 Graphics Lag..

8 posts in this topic

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this so I apologize if it's in the wrong place.

I have a Powermac G4 with the following specs:

PowerPC G4 533MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB

40GB and 10GB Harddrives

320MB PC133 Memory

DVD Rom Drive

Mac OS X 10.4.11

For some odd reason though it lags in some graphic-related areas, the graphics card supports both Quartz Extreme and Core Image, yet if I open Dashboard and drag a widget out it'll attempt to do the effect but it's very sluggish. In Openmark it gets a little over 5000 as a score in 1280x1024. I can also play Halo at 640x480 but it lags heavily at anything higher than that, on my hackintosh with an Intel GMA 900 (which I believe is worse than the NVIDIA 6200 card) Halo runs fine at 1280x1024.

Any idea as to what's wrong?..

Yep, I have a G4 power mac (which is over 7yrs old). And I'm having problems just viewing some websites. I love it and it has done wonders for me so far. But i'm definitely in need of an upgrade. I'm just going to buy a mac pro. As i'm branching into video and graphic related work. I see the need for the power.

Well it used to have an ATI Rage Pro 16MB, I recently got the new card, it can do things now like watch Youtube and such.. It just can't do any of the more simple effects, I know the video card is capable, maybe it's not the video card...

Well it used to have an ATI Rage Pro 16MB, I recently got the new card, it can do things now like watch Youtube and such.. It just can't do any of the more simple effects, I know the video card is capable, maybe it's not the video card...

Some of those more "simple" effects take more processing than you realize. Remember you video card is only running on a 2x AGP bus.

With a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro (flashed and modified PC AGP card) my old G4 flies.

I have the exact same PC card flashed on a Dual 500Mhz G4 and some effects are less than optimal. (Sure it does them but not as smooth as should be for everyday use.)

flies is pretty subjective. :(

I have a G4 AGP Graphics too. I prefer ATI in this machine above NVidia. The machine is made for ATI 7000 cards, I think. It isn't worthy to buy an 9800 Pro card, you'd better buy a sheep second hand 7500 card (you need a Mac version). It's mentioned before, it's only 2X AGP, It's a lot tweaking to get it faster and it might end with a system which won't do anything at all. Be happy with the machine, or buy a new one. Keep in mind: AGP Graphics are 10 years old! They are good for simple internet tasks like Email. You can run old software very smooth, but no CS3, or WoW. Try Photoshop 7. :D