Freedom Haters Beware

112 posts in this topic

I don't feel like that the Superintendents are sitting in a dark room scheming about how to rob us of our future......

Ummm why does the book say that? Seems like an interesting point to make.

I don't feel like that the Superintendents are sitting in a dark room scheming about how to rob us of our future......

Ummm why does the book say that? Seems like an interesting point to make.

No, its not like anyone is scheming to rob anyone of anything. The book isn't saying that people planned it out to be this way or that they are even aware that it is this way. The author is explaining neo tribalism and problems society currently faces.

The soldiers under Hitler's command were serving in honorable duty of their country *Salute* (Sarcasm, I am trying to make a point related to another thread[the Iraq War one]).

But seriously though, education (both at the College Level and at K-12 level) can be fixed quite easily in this country. The only reason why it's not the best educational system in the world is simply because people in general in the US don't care about education, they care about status (which is far different). Ask almost any college student why they are going to college and see what they tell you, they will tell you that they are going to school to get a degree to get a good job. If they are semi-enlightened they will say "I really like [insert subject here], its what I really want to do", very rarely will a student ever say "I am here to help educate myself about the world (how it works, etc.)"

This distinction between status and education is very very important, our educational system cannot change until we start emphasizing the education, rather than the piece of paper one receives after the education. If one has ever been to BOTH a university AND a community college, many will say that the community college offered a more comprehensive education than the University. The reason this is I think is because community colleges are far less about status, and a lot more about gathering skills necessary to survive in this society.

As for K-12, the problem can be fixed with taxes and a change in how these taxes are distributed. K-12 in this country simply needs more money, we should raise taxes to pay for it. Also, public schools are paid for by property tax, this should not be the case, if they are paid for by property tax, the taxes should be distributed evenly (according to need) throughout all the schools in the state. The collection rate should also be higher, in order to hire well trained teachers and to reduce classroom sizes.

But again, if education isn't about education, if it's really about keeping people off the job market or something like that, then the educational system we have now is perfect. I feel that education however should be ABOUT education, otherwise we should call it something else like "job training" or "weeding out", etc.

But seriously though, education (both at the College Level and at K-12 level) can be fixed quite easily in this country. The only reason why it's not the best educational system in the world is simply because people in general in the US don't care about education, they care about status (which is far different).

And entertainment. American society LOVES their entertainment (ie celebrities and reality tv and whatnot).

I've messed with the heads of many of the top 5% at my school by asking them what they want to really do with their life. Most of the responses are that they want to make good grades. I say, "Then what?"

"Go to a good college."

"After that?"

It's funny how many of them are stumped by that question. They don't seem to have realized that all they are focused on is being a "good" person in schoolwork. What if their true calling in life was to be a hairstylist? They don't need a 4.0 to do that, much less go to 8 years of college.

I very rarely get a response from someone telling me what they really want to do in their life. I mean they shouldn't have planned out their life step by step, but still, shouldn't they have some inkling as to what they want to do?

The English language is not set in stone. New words are being added to the dictionary all the time and the only way to add new words to the dictionary is for more people to use them. Todays slang is tomorrows common language. If not we would all be speaking "Ye Olde Englisc". :)

Its called Newspeak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak

Djet. I went to collage for 6 years. Ended up owning a business that develops, and sells technology. I make lots of money, and want to get out of it. There are more things to life than money. :P

And entertainment. American society LOVES their entertainment (ie celebrities and reality tv and whatnot).

Some are. Some are not.

I've messed with the heads of many of the top 5% at my school by asking them what they want to really do with their life. Most of the responses are that they want to make good grades. I say, "Then what?"

"Go to a good college."

"After that?"

It's funny how many of them are stumped by that question. They don't seem to have realized that all they are focused on is being a "good" person in schoolwork. What if their true calling in life was to be a hairstylist? They don't need a 4.0 to do that, much less go to 8 years of college.

I very rarely get a response from someone telling me what they really want to do in their life. I mean they shouldn't have planned out their life step by step, but still, shouldn't they have some inkling as to what they want to do?

No, thats because a lot of people don't have any attraction to what modern society offers.