How does the US get out of the recession

83 posts in this topic

thats called free market. speculators, declining resources - take your pick.

I am the most sceptical, cynical person there is and even I don't agree with you that oil prices are at a record high because my government wants it there.

have you done business studies or economics at any level?

That wouldn't matter, because just rambling about crazy conspiracies is a better qualification than a real degree in anything

That wouldn't matter, because just rambling about crazy conspiracies is a better qualification than a real degree in anything

I don't know if anybody else feels the same way. But I don't give a $hit about degrees. If somebody can show me some compelling evidence for something, it does not matter one bit what their status is (at least to me). Sometimes some of the best knowledge comes from outside a field, because people inside the field are often times extremely in the box. Sometimes an outsider coming in and saying "but wait, why don't you just....?" is the best thing that can happen.

We ought to be focusing on getting an education rather than getting a degree (and no, they are NOT one in the same).

I don't give a $hit about degrees. If somebody can show me some compelling evidence for something, it does not matter one bit what their status is (at least to me). Sometimes some of the best knowledge comes from outside a field, because people inside the field are often times extremely in the box.

I couldn't agree more! People are entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. Show me data. The rest is just glitter.

If Docter Dockter presented you with a report telling you x and y, and provided sufficient peer reviewed and thorughly researched evidence, derived using well understood scientific techniques and experiements to back up their claims, would you believe some nutter off the internet over him? :wallbash:

This is the example I had in mind when I made that post.

If Docter Dockter presented you with a report telling you x and y, and provided sufficient peer reviewed and thorughly researched evidence, derived using well understood scientific techniques and experiements to back up their claims, would you believe some nutter off the internet over him? ;)

This is the example I had in mind when I made that post.

Ah I see, I totally agree.

No, the example I was thinking of was two equally intelligent, logical, scientific people people with different views, one with a degree, one without. And I just hear the crowd in my head saying to the one without a degree "get a real degree, we wont listen to anything you have to say unless you have a degree in the field you are trying to talk about".

All I can say to that is that a degree isn't just a piece of paper, it give you a lot of background knowledge in order to interpret data.

My point is that one can obtain that knowledge for free (or very cheaply). All they have to do is read, and talk to the right people. I trust a person who knows where to find information over a person who sat and soaked in what they were told, any day of the week.

Life is all about knowing the right people and getting the hookup (whether it be a job, money, etc.). We still live in a world of personal favors. If you can make somebody's life easier, they will hook you up (out of THEIR own self interest). To succeed, this is all we have to do.

My second point is that people are often times hooked up BECAUSE of their degree, but in reality they don't know {censored}.

The way I approached my education was: Try to get a basic knowledge in everything, a basic backbone, then whenever you hear something (chemistry, politics, etc.) you only need a gentle nudge to get it instead of a crash course. It has always worked amazingly well for me, I don't understand why we try to hard to get people into doing specific tasks in one field, very puzzling. Talk about assembly line.