Kernel Panic when Dloading anything more than minor stuff

dsc106

12 posts in this topic

So I didn't have this problem on Tiger, but now, when I download anything extended, after maybe... 20-30 minutes, I get a kernel panic where the screen turns gray and I am told to restart.

I can download a song on iTunes fine, random stuff on the internet using firefox, etc. But if I try to download large torrents, or a large podcast off iTunes, it will go and then KP on me and I have to restart. I didn't have this problem in iTunes.

What could be causing this? I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, with nforce4. It has nforce4 LAN + Marvell Yukon. As such, I installed both the Marvell LAN drivers and the nforce4 LAN drivers on Zeph's 10.5.2 AMD release... could this be part of the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated... thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

And now with FireFox Beta 4, as soon as I even click "save as file" to download, it KPs on me. Also when transfering anything more than small stuff over the LAN.

I heard somewhere this might be a LEOPARD issue, not limited to just Hackintosh? Can anyone offer some info herE?

i had exactly this problem, fine for normal browsing but as soon as a torrent picked up speed - kernel panic. Fixed by doing 2 things;

1 - updated to the new kernel here

2 - added a maxmem parameter to my boot.plist file (may only be relevant if you have 4gb of RAM)

-Go to Terminal. Enter "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"
-Authenticate. Add the "maxmem=3072" in between the strings under Kernel Flags
Reboot

Give 1 or both a go

• 2 weeks later...

interesting. i only have 2gb of ram, so i dont know about solution 2. problem is, im already using 9.2 kernal from the zeph 10.5.2 install. has the kernal been updated since his install dvd was made?

Had the same annoying problem as you guys.

I replaced the original forcedeth.kext with forcedeth-nockd.kext earlier today and now the system has been running solid under heavy torrent load and multitasking for several hours....unlike before.

I pray it stays this way now.

Btw. I am running leo4all but it KP/Frooze the same way as with Zepyroths 10.5.2 release before i replaced the forcedeth.kext so it should work on Zepyroths release as well.

http://osx86.wikidot.com/utilities-resources

Have you tried running AHCI mode in your bios? That allows you to access all your memory.

AHCI? dont know what that is.

and I basically tried to bypass the problem by buying a cheap lan card. it almost works. but then after so much lan activity it starts crashing apps, and giving a -10810 error when i try to launch them.

@MuppMan

i thought i already tried the forcedeth-nockd in 10.5.1 with no success. ill try again and see how it works for me.

no luck. switched back to using the onboard lan and the forcedeth-nockd.kext. did chown chmod, rm extensions.mkext, but still got 2 kp's.

what do you mean by leo4all? is that some release version?

• 7 months later...

hey i had the same problem: 4GB RAM, Gigabyte mobo w/o AHCI switch, kernel panic whenever using torrents for files larger than 2,5GB or so. I added the maxmem string and it worked. but i'm still a bit upset that 1gb of RAM is now useless. But thanks alot! you really helped me!

• 1 month later...