Micro ATX setup

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm hoping someone could tell me what is a good microatx board to get that works well with Leopardx86. I am using my hackintosh for video editing. My primary goal is to set up a stable editing machine for a fraction of the cost of what it would cost me from Apple. I also want it small and out of the way as well. Thanks in advance.

hey dude,

i will be building my very own leopard box next month centered around a Gigabyte G33M-DS2R.

if you search around the forum, you'll hear many people are having excellent success rates with it. Supposedly, most things are supported.

Check the wiki for parts, and good luck!

Yeah. I agree, the Shuttles are definitely the way to go if you want something on the cheap and small.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the board that I'm using, the Asus P5K-VM. I had a lot more luck getting ahold of the Asus board over the Gigabyte ones.

The Gigabyte G33M-DS2R has been discontinued... just so ya know.

I don't really need the performance you do, but the Micro ATX boards I've been looking at are the Gigabyte GA-G31m-S2l and the Asus P5GC-MX. Both seem to be fairly well supported, though onboard ethernet doesn't work on the Asus. Let us know what you choose!

As for the shuttles...where is the fun in a barebones kit? lol...I plan on getting the thermaltake lanbox http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811133045

for my case.

I have already an 8800gts, e6400 C2D, and 4GB OCZ Platinum. I will do some more upgrading later when I can afford a quad core. I'm trying to find a board that will support the new Penryn chips as well. I'm crossing my fingers. BTW, I'm a total noob to OSX86...and I'm scared to be a guinea pig, but, I will do it...one small step for man, one giant step for man kind.

If you want the cheapest solution, a 945-based board is the way to go. Works perfectly with onboard graphics.

A good compromise is the Gigabyte G31M-S2L or G31MX-S2. Cheap and supports 45nm, quad core, everything works. Can even overclock! Onboard graphics do not work though. I'm getting one of these for a friend.

For a performance oriented board...Well it looks like the G33M-DS2R has been discontinued, as mentioned. Sucks, because it was an awesome board. Overclocking is great, and it has firewire too! Now there is the G33-S2L, which is similar and should work great, but nobody has tried it AFAIK. It lacks firewire though, if that matters to you...

Well,

I'm sad to hear the G33M-DS2R is discontinued as I have one and love it. It is the most painless OS X install I have ever done. Two kexts for sound +NVinject and I was done! If you can find one you'll be very happy with it. Also, it's a great overclocker.

Cheers,

Nik