10.5.2 install guide for Sony VGN-NR110E

skyfox

21 posts in this topic

I just bought a NR110E from Fry's for $599. Not the best deal for the specs, but my sister had to have a white laptop. And, it costs half as much as a real Macbook! Anyway, I have Leopard 10.5.2 mostly working with EFI and vanilla kernel. I've tried both Kalyway 10.5.1 and iAtkos 10.5.1. Sleep and "about this mac" are broken in iAtkos, but work in Kalyway so I went with it. Otherwise, they are about the same. Here's how you get it working:

Kalyway 10.5.1 - hit customize and select these options only:

Vanilla kernel (and 2 underneath)

EFI Boot (MBR or GUID depending on what you have)

X3100 video - you'll have to install Paulicat’s Natit.kext to get the internal display working: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ej2e9z2xg1d

iAtkos has natit built in by default, but on Kalyway you'll have to boot the dvd after install and use the terminal to copy it from a flash drive. Also delete “AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.” It won’t boot unless you do. When you finally get to the “welcome” movie, you will see the display repeated over the screen 3 times. But you can still see what’s going on and use the mouse. Fill in the usual reg info. Once you’re at the desktop, change the resolution to 1280x768. To get 1280x800, download the “switchresx control” from here: http://www.madrau.com/switchres/SwitchResXControl.zip

1. run it

2. hit the "custom" tab then +

3. under horiz, put 1280 in the top box

4. under vert, put 800 in the top, and 60 in the lowest box

5. OK, apply, and reboot

Your video should be perfect now.

Realtek ALC262 Audio – download the patch here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73287

This will give you speakers and headphones, but the speakers do not turn off when you plug in headphones (they both always play).

Atheros 5006X Wi-Fi – I tried every solution on the forum and then some with no luck. I finally read where those solutions only work on PCI cards, this is PCI-E. As far as I can tell, nobody has gotten this working yet. I replaced it with a Broadcom 4311 mini PCI express card I got on Ebay for $13. It was recognized automatically, no need to do anything. Even the “kill switch” on the front still works. To replace the card, flip the laptop upside down and remove all the screws (even the 2 under the memory cover). The entire black bottom will come off and reveal the wifi card. Very easy.

Alps Trackpad – Works by default in both distributions but no tapping or scrolling. To get these, download package here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

DVD burner, USB, firewire, keyboard and sleep all worked from the start.

Once I had all these devices working, I installed Kalyway’s 10.5.2 update without a hitch. Here’s what I can’t get working, but it looks like some others have:

Marvell LAN – I have tried patching the Yukon kexts as others suggested with the proper device id (435311AB) but no luck. Can somebody describe exactly what they did?

Battery/AC gauge – somebody said they had this working too, but not me.

congratulations !!

thought, for my sister, the sound is pritty important,

and is the speaker is on always, it would keep everybody up at night,...

does this sony have a webcam ?

how long does the battery last ?

eathernet , be usefull, for doing backups, aka timemachine, to a desktop machine,...

note: do have an atheros draft-N from lenovo, what works, but have not full speed,

since I need to leave G on, for her itouch

I have this same labtop see my sig for more info.

Just to clarify some things:

you dont need to boot back into the cd after install it takes too long

boot with -s

/sbin/ mount -uw/

rm -rf System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel*.kext

reboot

Realtek sound works 100% follow tarugas guide rather then using his patcher, headphones even switch

The trackpad taps and sidescrolls(buggy)

The lan works with a simple plist edit

battery works with old tiger acpi files and the hacked powermanagement.bundle

brightness control, use shades

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23370

http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

not sure about battery savings, but sure, can dimm the screen,

also want to try nocture

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24898

let me know , if you like it ? and wether it makes a difference in your battery life ?

I have a Vaio VGN-N110G

@Kamikazi

Could you Please tell me what in more detail. Or give a DL link to the files your used to get you Battery working.

I have tried a few times, but not working yet for me:(

For brightness I use "Brightness Control" DL here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17670

I like it better than shades, but it also like shades does not really dim the screen!

If anyone knows how to get the brightness control on vaio's working please post!

Kamikazi, I think you must boot from dvd to fix the video because single user mode doesn't support a flash drive (that's where natit comes from). Do you remember where you saw Taruga's guide? I have searched around, but he has quite a few posts on here! Also, I got the LAN working. The problem is that I was editing the Yukon kext instead of Yukon2.

the screen looks nice if you calibrate the colors, i dont care to use shades or brightness control because it just puts a dark layer over the screen and does not truly change the brightness or save battery, the brightness controls are an acpi issue

skyfox once u delete the files in single user mode you can boot into the osx operating system normally and install the new video kexts from there using the terminal or kext helper, i dont remember where i found tarugas guide i came across it after frantically searching this forum for fixes, he made a thread about it though i think

xosx86 u need the hacked powermanagement.bundle file, there is a thread with it here and in that thread someone posted the old acpi files from tiger which work flawlessly

• 2 months later...

i think the atheros card is supported because it has the same vendor id's and hardware id's as the old apple airport card but the reason it won't recognize it because there is a soft switch which doesnt work in osx and is preventing power to the card. Any have a fix

the screen looks nice if you calibrate the colors, i dont care to use shades or brightness control because it just puts a dark layer over the screen and does not truly change the brightness or save battery, the brightness controls are an acpi issue

skyfox once u delete the files in single user mode you can boot into the osx operating system normally and install the new video kexts from there using the terminal or kext helper, i dont remember where i found tarugas guide i came across it after frantically searching this forum for fixes, he made a thread about it though i think

xosx86 u need the hacked powermanagement.bundle file, there is a thread with it here and in that thread someone posted the old acpi files from tiger which work flawlessly

Could you please explain how you got your LAN Marvell adapter workning. Thanks.

U of M

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Update: works great with 10.5.5!!!

The old driver included in tarugas package breaks shutdown. Im modifying the 10.5.5 kext to work in order to fix this problem.

can you please post how you get it done, my effors to upgrade all give me graphics distortion and make the system unusable

Update: works great with 10.5.5!!!

The old driver included in tarugas package breaks shutdown. Im modifying the 10.5.5 kext to work in order to fix this problem.

Can you please post some information on how you did that.

Can you please post some information on how you did that.

kalyway 10.5.2 cd + netkas method for 10.3 10.4 and 10.5

if anyone is wondering about the hanging on the blue screen on boot, it means you need to delete the video drivers /rm -rf AppleIntel* and then install some new ones, look in my sig for everything you possibly need to do

kalyway 10.5.2 cd + netkas method for 10.3 10.4 and 10.5

if anyone is wondering about the hanging on the blue screen on boot, it means you need to delete the video drivers /rm -rf AppleIntel* and then install some new ones, look in my sig for everything you possibly need to do

Did anyone get this working? I can not seem to boot into single user mode after the update. Then it still hangs at a blue screen probably because i cannot boot to single user mode

• 4 months later...

Okay here is what i did to get to 10.5.5, and it is sort of a weird way but it works.

First i used iatkos v5i which is already at 10.5.5. I installed everything that was needed for this system, i dont remember what it was right now but ill put it up.

Next, and the part that is kind of weird theres probably a faster way, use a linux live cd, if your good at it, or windows partition if you have one, or a working mac partition, go to the iatkos install and go to /system/library/extensions and delete anything that has appleintelgma950. they screw everything up, and appleintelgmax3100fb, appleintegratedframebuffer, and natit. now reboot and start the iatkos in safemode with -x. this should boot it up. get the files from the third post here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107782

and install them. now reboot. this should boot normal now but with the 3 small screens just use resx from the first post here to fix that. Now your all set. im still working on 10.5.6 if anyone has done that please post it.

Other things,

With ethernet i forgot to check to see if it works out of the box with iatkos 5i but here are the files (plist) and guide, i take no credit for the guide i did not make it, i just put it in a text file to keep it handy. well cant upload the plist so ill try to find the guide, the plist did not zip right sry bout that

Sound it odd headphones work but speakers dont turn off. kamkazi i would love to know how you did this. i used a linux compiled file and taragus patcher that i included. just drag the file onto the frog head and your good. well you need to find the patcher yourself but that shouldnt be to hard its version 1.2 that i use.

EDIT

New Sound Method I found. will switch speakers to headphones, but you have to tell it. I have not tried the microphone spot so i cannot say if that works or not.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1080094

lastly for some what battery management go here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114105

and there ya go a somewhat pretty good 10.5.5 install

EDIT

Getting to 10.5.6 is also easy

get the normal update and follow this guide

http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/up...5x-to-1056.html

When the update is done delete anything with appleintelgma950 and the appleintelgmax3100fb and natit kext. reboot into safemode with -x and install the old appleintelgmax3100fb and natit. then reboot again and you should be good.

also my seatbelt.kext was broken and i was not able to mount any .dmg file. so back that up from the 10.5.5 install and install it when you are in 10.5.6 and that should be fixed.

Also New problem i found was hotplugging of usb stopped after awhile. To fix this you need a different version of the system.kext. if you are like me you have a 9.5 kernal so you need to find a system.kext of the same version, and its fixed.

WIFI.rtf

Info.plist.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a Vaio VGN-N110G

@Kamikazi

Could you Please tell me what in more detail. Or give a DL link to the files your used to get you Battery working.

I have tried a few times, but not working yet for me:(

For brightness I use "Brightness Control" DL here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17670

I like it better than shades, but it also like shades does not really dim the screen!

If anyone knows how to get the brightness control on vaio's working please post!

How did you put OSX86 on Vaio VGN-N110G? Did you use JaS, iPc, iDeneb, iATKOS and which version?

Please help!

Thanks

• 5 months later...

THANK YOU SO MUCH, not only has this guide saved me $150 to buy a mac (ibook) but it also lets me have a mac for FREE...

i just have a few questions, but seeing as this guide is very very old i doubt they will be answered:

1. Has anyone else tried putting a Dell Broadcom 4311 mini PCI card in their sony VAIO NR-110E?

2. Also i got sound to work but it wont work through headphones, can anyone help me with that?

but ya just follow the guide compeltly nd u shud have a working vaio with mac and windows 7 on it.

I would like to try installing this on my Sony VGN-NR110E. However before I do this I would like to replace the hard drive. Does anyone know how to do this? The previous posts look like you would need to take all the screws off from the bottom. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Ya id like to follow up and say that the broadcom card does infact work flawlessly with the mac osx partition...cant say about win 7 yet but will soon find out....

Stan888- ive tried to remove the hard drive before...you have to take all the screws on the back off, then unscrew the hard drive out but to do that you have to unscrew what seems like the motherboard out from under it as you can not access 2 screws cuz they are on the sides...good luck tho

• Like 1