USB harddrives

Grama

17 posts in this topic

we are looking at buying my father, a video editor, a usb harddrive for his birthday.

i am no expert on these things, however i am hoping he can use this thing specifically for video editing (free up some harddrive space)

his computer is 2 or 3 years old now and has not an eSATA port or else i would get him one of those!

will a usb harddisk be up to the task speed wise? i think 480mb/s is fast enough, but again i am no expert.

thanks for your time!

Remember USB is only 480mbps in BURSTS so it actually works out as the slower hare to the 400mbps constant "Tortoise" of Firewire 400 (I was amazed at the difference, it felt like 4 times faster at least). With Firewire 400 you can transfer a GB per min (roughly) whereas with USB a Gig takes ages.

eSata however is just plain insanely fast.

If you want it for video editing, don't insult him with USB. If need be get a Firewire Card. He'll thank you profusely, I bet.

I run my entire Leo 10.5.2 install from an external HD. There isn't any visible speed decrease when using it as opposed to a fast 3Gbps SATA drive, you can only see the difference when transferring large files :rolleyes: